Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

useless player posted:

Can anyone recommend a good Blu-Ray player software? I bought the FLCL Blu-Ray disc intending to watch it on my new laptop only to find that I don't have the software to play it :doh:.

I want to bring this back up, because I too would like to know if there's any good BR software out yet. I bought a BR player for my computer only to find none of the popular players work for it, and the piece of poo poo that comes with it is super picky about what it'll play over. Like, it wont play to my projector over a DVI but it will over VGA (???)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ooh I'll have to check that out. thanks!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gently caress yesssss escaflowne.

There were some really sparse and kind of crappy CG effects; no objects, luckily. Unlikely but it would be cool if they just redid the; Unlike Cowboy Bebop there are much less prevalent.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Fooly Cooly 25 posted:

This happened to me recently with Tenchi Muyo. :negative:

I just watched through the OVAs again and then finally watched the last one that came out like... 10 years later.

I thought it was pretty fun, the last OVA was bad though, mostly because it introduced a lot of stuff that went absolutely nowhere, and it had a different animation style :geno:. Also it contradicts Tenchi Muyo in Love, which has the superior mom :colbert:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Redline rules, bebop movie has grown on me since I first watched it (it is pretty tho for sure). Never saw girl!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Man, buy and rip. Or settle for the fact that it will be a long long LONG time until you can come remotely close to being completely digital in a niche market where the content itself is sometimes a collectors item :geno:

That said, you'd think given pixar's and apple's relationship, and that disney is basically run by the remnants of the big pixar folk, that there would better better cross over. Then again disney loves to do that fruity disney vault poo poo, which digital versions are basically anathema to.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Because people who buy releases for prestige will pay that much.

Stop making their model work :argh:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah that's sure worth 60 bucks extra.

(no it's not)

((it's really pretty but it's goddamn box))

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

For real, that's nutso.

They are going to go on a shelf. You will only see their spine. Even if you had them face forward for some reason nobody will care. Never, ever.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Renewal is the best we have at the moment, and considering that was a digital touch up IIRC I doubt we will see eva TV / movie blurays for a while if ever (EoE has a number of CG bits that I'm sure would be troublesome to do without upscaling.)

Not that most anime is anything near the same level of popularity and thus cost effectiveness, but it's a shame more don't get the TNG reshoot / redo (re-composite) effects treatment.

Gainax' library is pretty spotty with keeping it's stuff in good shape. I'm amazed we (the people. not the us per se) got that Gunbuster bluray.

In other series without bluray news, the Outlaw Star Remaster looks pretty goddamn good for not being HD. Certainly has my domestic DVDs from 2004 beat.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

OZC posted:

Those were all scanned at HD resolution and downscaled for DVD too, so I'm surprised some of them still haven't seen BD releases yet.

Oh really? Wow, I'm surprised too. Maybe we will see something in the future.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Also no one seems to like Turn A at sunrise/bandai so there is that too.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I personally would be very surprised if we get a physical successor to Bluray.

But interesting that it is gaining in popularity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

The good thing is, is that the Blu-Ray format is a completely new license. So another company can just pick up Blu-Ray rights and sell it with no problems.

Yeah... but they'll probably have to redo the dub track then. And find all of the original VAs, again. Or buy the dub tracks from Bandai Ent... which seems like a long shot.

So it's not ideal. It wouldn't a problem if it was just a crappy dub but just about everyone stateside at least thinks of *THAT* Dub as the definitive version.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

1080i huh? does that mean it's an upscale?

Non-super ED... I have a feeling that might just be a clean video of the ending credits minus the text?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The problem is that just not going to happen.

The funny thing is they don't seem to realize the totally profitless exercise of ripping the japanese blurays and fan subbing them for bsically every none japanese area will continue unabated. I have a feeling they'd stand to make more than lose more even if every single japanese nerd imported the completely extraless, non-special edition blurays we get here.

Seriously, if they price for the otaku market, those guys want the biggest best version anyway, and that's gonna be the japanese release with figure and booklet and love pillow, not the use eco-case clean ed/op and previews thing we get here.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would be curious to know how many dvd / BR sales are to 'hardcore fans' versus casual off the shelf viewers, and if my theory is correct exactly how many people who have never heard of Madoka would ever pick it up based on the premise alone (that being, on the face of it, a magical girl anime).

Not knowing about it ahead of time there is no loving way I would have picked it up at Best Buy or something. I'm not saying it's a bad cover or box it's just a difficult concept to market direct to consumers, as opposed to what I assume are much better numbers via online streamers where someone can catch an episode and go 'hey this is cool' as opposed to buying a box set practically blind.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

I remember looking forward to the third OVA for many years :negative:

Yeah that was a pretty crippling blow.

I always enjoyed the first couple OVAs most, Uni second, and then Muyo in Love.

The only thing the third OVA brought to the table was a bunch of new crap, and really no resolutions to the old crap, and also Achika is a way better mom then that weirdo they made up for the OVA.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I dunno, simple or not it seems like it should be a whole mess of people's jobs to make sure that poo poo doesn't get hosed up.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm not sure many people know it was composted onto film. A lot of people, like hey, me! assumed since it had cg sequences and assists that those assets were probably lost / low rez and would be difficult to get an HD copy of without redoing them / upscale.

I'm glad that's not the case though. Cowboy Bebop is something people should never go "Well it doesn't look good but you gotta move past that" about

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

150, while not great, is still a fuckin shitload better than what I paid for complete series, dubbed, on VHS around y2k.

And fate zero is gorgeous, especially the first half.

Oh Jesus it's just for one season? That is... That is almost exactly what I paid for lovely dubs on lovely VHS, one tape at a time. That's is pretty bad.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 6, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Perfect Blue is one of those movies I appreciate but the animation quality seems so poor that I dunno if it'd be worth watching on blueray.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gaseous Snake posted:

drat, if I knew that I'd have imported the Cowboy Bebop Blurays sooner!

The Cowboy Bebop blurays are licensed by Funimation and getting a release soon so it'd probably be a better plan to wait for them to drop

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's set to come out in 2014 in the US. Since it's just '2014' I'm guessing not spring but still, hold your horses.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It sucks there isn't a bluray for eoe yet. Even the remastered DVDs from Japan aren't super amazing.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Squallege posted:

Holy poo poo you're right!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...5324S6KHFY40FRN

Bring this to the states, whoever!

I wouldn't count on it; The movie came over and they didn't even bother with a dub (not that THAT matters but it is a pretty good sign of how much effort they wanna put into it)

Gunbuster is GORGEOUS on bluray.

Like seriously: Every screen is wallpaper worthy

I mean it's cell animation so of course but holy poo poo it's incredible. It's so much cleaner and more beautiful than the movie, which seems to have been done from whatever film copy they had of the movie version, not cleaned up from the originals.

Diebuster looks pretty good but a bit of the CG elements are kinda groady (especially in the first episode, which was more CG heavy) and I think it's 720p only because of it's source. Still, pretty hot stuff.

Srice posted:

Gainax have been gradually releasing their older shows on blu-ray for a little while. I suspect we'll see it happen with Eva eventually, but probably not until the movies are finished.

If eva gets a bluray I think it'll be last, even though it's one of their biggest shows. If you recall, right before Rebuild started they did "Renewal Of Evangelion" which was a full digital remaster of the series and movies. I'm honestly a bit curious how it'll go, since most of rebuild is under studio khara(?)'s care, and gainax seems to be laying low after losing so much staff.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 9, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Squallege posted:

I feel like a huge dork now because I found the group that distributed the Gunbuster 2 OVAs last May and emailed them asking if they had plans for the blu ray versions. Considering their schizophrenic catalog http://discotekmedia.com/store.htm I doubt it'll happen but whatever, I'm on a Gunbuster kick right now.

Totally on (another) gunbuster kick at the moment. I just picked up the Gunbuster soul of choco...co...cho choo 50 bux figure and it's badass. http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Chogokin-Buster/dp/B009HMK1NS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_5

(on a side, dorky/awesome note, they sell a gurren lagann tie in kit with a gently caress off load of drills to attach to the inazuma kick + all the buster collider rods. It's a shame they haven't done a big gently caress off gainax mecha crossover special or something.)

If you haven't watched the Gunbuster blurays you really owe it to yourself to watch them. Since it's unlicensed, just track down a copy. The rip on bakabt even has the unmatted episode 6 for interest sake (the ending is hosed up and you can see soooo many missing limbs that they didn't bother to finish full frame.)

It would be nice to see a domestic release but I think it'd be a hard sell being 25 years old. drat kids.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 9, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Is the Gunbuster set an upscale? I mean...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62065

Diebuster's set seems to be the real deal though and is gorgeous.

It does not seem like an upscale at 1080p. Or even in that comparison. There's no pixelation just lots of film noise, which is baller. Even that 720p in the comparison is noticeably cleaner and sharper and less stretched than the DVD copy.

Diebuster is an upscale if I'm not mistaken; their original CG materials were not done in even 720p so for the CG parts it's really noticeable that those elements are upscaled. I think the animation itself looks fantastic, though again, it seems to be 720 p only instead of full 1080p.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 11, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I think it's a combination of the gunbuster DVDs having a good master, and those diebuster DVDs using a lovely one.

Also gunbuster being traditionally animated is gonna have more texture at higher quality, even in the line work, where diebuster it just gets shaper / smoother / clearer. I think the noise in the DVD gunbuster is super obvious in that comparison, as opposed to grain in the BD, which is a totally different thing BUT is easy enough to confuse when its not in motion. The cockpit details are the easiest place to tell.

It's also a comparison between an upscaled and downscaled image. If they stretched the dvd out to the full 1080p the differences would be more striking.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Diebuster actually is an upscale, so I'm first going to question the scaler used to make that DVD->720p screenshot.

Gunbuster was animated traditionally, and the film was rescanned. However, I believe that shot is from an episode before 5, so it's 16mm film, and therefore really not worth getting over 720p in the first place. It's definitely sharper, whether there's significant detail that you couldn't see on the DVD or not. Compare shots from episode 5 or 6, as those were shot 35mm.

Haha funny enough the only screenshots I took were from 5 and 6 (about 100 or so for wallpapers). I didn't know the first 4 were on 16 mm. Is there a trove of Gunbuster history out there I'm not aware of (please say yes).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

All this talk about gunbuster and Diebuster may get me to buy it. Where's the cheapest place I can score that bluray? It's region free right?

You can find the japanese one on amazon. IDK if that's the best price. Expect to pay a poo poo load either way, given import + japanese home media pries.

But honestly, unless you can understand japanese you'd be better served finding a fansub online. The gunbuster series hasn't been licensed.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I found a copy of the gunbuster movie on blu ray a few years ago, what's the difference between that and the show? If it isn't much, I would say that would be an option for people in the US.

It cuts out most of the character development, specifically in the first few episodes, and the series bluray looks better. The same is true even more so in the case of diebuster, at least with regards to letting us get to know the characters and feel connected in any way to what's going on.

Certainly it's an option, but only in the same way the gurran lagann movies are an option instead of watching the series; if you haven't seen the series it kills a lot of the impact the big scenes have because they are tightly bunched together. Mind you both series and movie are available for sale in Gurren Lagann's case, but in terms of the story...

I'd say get the series rips and if you love them go out and buy the movie; it's probably the best way aside from mailing the licensor to support bringing over the series potentially at some point.

(it's worth noting that since, supposedly, the isolated SFX audio is missing, that part of the reason gunbuster hasn't been brought over in full is because a dub would require recreating all the sound effects from scratch, though I believe that may have been refuted at some point)

((seriously if you haven't seen the series' first you have to watch them instead of the movies it's a difference of an hour and a half each))

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 12, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

my understanding is that Harmony Gold doesn't have the distribution rights to Macross Plus (and other non-SDF/DYRL properties) pursuant to a Japanese court case that I haven't read. Harmony Gold did trademark the term "Macross" in the US, so that trademark would need to be licensed. Last I checked, shouldn't Manga Ent. still have the distribution rights? Surely they know a Macross Plus bluray would be a strong seller. From the screenshots I've seen of the BD rip, it looks amazing.

Manga Ent is full of poo poo lords and idiots. They sat on the rights for years and put out a poo poo version of End of Evangelion for fucks sake. They didn't even repress that poo poo to take advantage of Rebuild's popularity.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Manga Entertainment as was no longer even exists, it's just a name and a logo to put onto DVD's in the UK because people recognise it. It's changed hands a few times but Kaze uses it at the moment and they're pretty decent distributors, despite milking stuff they think is going to be popular (Tiger & Bunny and SAO split into four sets for £25 each :rolleyes:).

What about Manga Ent in the US? Are they just sitting on a boatload of IPs?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

Is there a quality bluray release of Diebuster? Best I can tell only the Gunbuster v Diebuster movie is on blu ray?

Both are on bluray in japan. The gunbuster bluray is loving INCREDIBLE looking, much better than the footage in gunbuster v diebuster.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

A new distribution company called Cinelicious is going to restore and re-release Belladonna of Sadness, a phenomenal and extremely disturbing anime film from 1973, theatrically and on DVD and Blu-Ray next year. This is one I never thought would get any kind of official release in the states (the only time I can think of it being shown theatrically was at the Spectacle in Brooklyn), but this is very welcome news.

Thank goodness. I'm dying to watch it but it felt sad for such a beautiful film to be only on DVD.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Yeaaaaah I think I'm going Amazon on that one

No poo poo. That 'package' really misses the joke

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

a kitten posted:

Anyone here pick up the new Kiki's Delivery Service bluray? Did Disney change anything for the worse, or make new, weird edits to the music, story, and/or script?

There's rumblings of that on the amazon reviews, but people are frequently idiots...so i thought I would just ask here.

"Kiki's Delivery Service received a new Region 1 DVD in March 2010, the same day Miyazaki's Ponyo became available on American home video. This English audio production is something of a combination of the original Japanese version (which is fairly minimalist and has basic sound effects) and the 1998 Disney English audio production (which has newer sound effects, some new incidental music, and the many entirely new lines of dialog, particularly from Hartman). Some of the 1998 changes remain in the 2010 version, while others are gone. The opening and closing songs from the English version were reverted to the original Japanese pop songs. Hartman's final line which implied that Kiki could understand Jiji again was removed.[37]"

Go to wikipedia for more.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gently caress YESSSSSSSS.

The DVD remasters were okay but even the Reconstruction(?) EoE was pretty drab looking, to say nothing of the original godawful Manga DVD.

This rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Yeah the FLCL BR is pretty great. I'm not sure if it's full 1080 but it looks good on an HDTV.

• Locked thread