Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Nate RFB posted:

I saw in the Disappearance of Haruhi novel an ad for the R1 DVD release of the movie for it...does anyone know if this includes the Blu-ray? That movie was gorgeous and it would be a god drat shame if we didn't get the BD release over here.

Bandai has neither confirmed or denied plans for a Blu-Ray release of the movie; however Manga (for the UK release) has confirmed multiple times that they will release the movie on Blu-Ray. There might be a chance you can import from the UK if Bandai does not release it in NA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Toradora! has finally gotten a release date of 12/21/2011 for a 6 disc box (4,4,5,6,6 episodes per disc and extras disc). It'll contain the SOS shorts and live action extras that weren't included on the NA set. Price is 39,900 yen, which is the same as Haruhi and Lucky Star. No subtitles will be included.

Most importantly, this box will have an OVA made for this box. No details have been released, but Starchild will be putting out details sometime between now and the release date.

It is an upscale, but they're using Sony's latest technology. Here is a sample image and here are some blown-up comparison images.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

serebralassazin posted:

Does anyone know if UFO table gets a cut of Blu-ray/DVD sales?

On Japanese sales (which are the more important ones), they'll get a certain percentage as they're part of the production committee for all their shows, but most of the proceeds from sales go to the video distributor (who tends to invest a lot into the production of the show). For international sales, that money tends to go to the international rights holder (which has been Aniplex for most of their big titles) and then the production committee gets a portion of that (which isn't much given how cheap licenses are now). Basically yes, but it's not as big as you think it would be (especially your sales from international markets).

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Kingtheninja posted:

So Princess Mononoke finally has a JPN release, and it's december 4th. Way back at the beginning of this thread, I mentioned this would be the one Ghibli release I would spend $100 to import. Juuuuuust want to double check that the US and Japan share the same blu ray region.

Japan and the US do share a region, but most, if not all, Japanese anime blu-rays are region free anyways.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

horchata posted:

Do they ever plan to rerelease the girl who leapt through time or am I forced to pay the markup since the company that had if went out of business
The company who held international rights to the movie is Kadokawa Pictures. Thus far none of the titles that they had licensed to Bandai at the time of their removal from the market have been picked up by another company and they don't really hold the NA licensors in high regards at the moment (ex. Funi soliciting titles in months they previously solicited a BD-box for in the domestic market). It's highly probable that Funimation wants the license due to licensing the other two big Hosoda movies from NTV to have in their catelog, but it's all up to Kadokawa. Know that the desire is there on this side of the Pacific, but other factors are complicating it. RightStuf got some copies of it in yesterday, but all have sold out by now.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Robert Denby posted:

"Watamote" is coming from Sentai on August 26th with a dub, and Funimation is releasing "The Devil is a Part-Timer" as both a regular and limited edition on July 22nd.
As a point of reference, Sentai has scheduled 9 newly made blu-ray releases for August. They currently contract to one author of discs. I would be incredibly cautious for any of the their titles releasing in August (especially after a 7 title month in July). QC is on the outs at both companies, but Sentai is worse at it.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

cmykjester posted:

I'm still waiting on my copy of EVA 3.33 from Amazon my father got me for Christmas. Has there been any news on when that will actually be released?
Nope. Solicitations are out until July and it's not listed. No response at the past big con either. I'm still betting on a Thanksgiving/Christmas release given their tendency to put big titles there for gift ideas.

GrandpaPants posted:

So is the US still going to get Cowboy Bebop this year?
Targetted for Quarter 4 of this year.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there any information I don't know about with regard to when NIS America plans to release The Eccentric Family? Should the continuing lack of a release date be taken as a sign that it won't be released after all?
Prior simulcasts from NISA took around a year after the final Japanese volume came out to be released in NA. I'd expect it early next year as they've solicited until November and they've not done many December releases (only Umineko in 2012 when no November release was scheduled). It's nothing to worry about though.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Buffis posted:

Out of curiosity, is this the same video quality as the UK blurays, or will they be different (remastered or something?)

Funimation will take the video masters from Sunrise and do their own encoding (which tends to have different brightness levels than the JP equipment) and those will be authored onto the NA BDs. It'll have different quality (and likely worse due to differing brightness levels). This is pretty much standard for Funi and Viz (as of late).

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Buffis posted:

So basically, since I have the UK blurays, and don't really care about the extras of the limited boxsets, I can safely ignore the US release?

Yep. I'll safely say they won't look any better than the UK release at minimum.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That's just Aniplex being Aniplex in regards to the pricing. I've not noticed any glaring flaws with the two Kill La Kill sets they've put out but I figure if it was anything I wouldn't have noticed it unless somebody told me anyway.

Does Lossy Audio really mean much on already printed media? I'm not an audiophile so I admit I don't really have an ear for these things.

The big issue people are raising in regards to Aniplex of America's release of KLK is the packaging being a slipcover instead of the chipboard boxes that Bake/Nisemonogatari, Blue Exorcist, SAO, and Fate/Zero got last year. It has lossless audio for both tracks due to the complaints they got from the last two's English tracks.

While lossy audio can sound close, if not exact, to lossless audio for the vast utter majority of people, the SAO English track had less of a audio boost than the Japanese track did. I can't recall if F/Z did or not. While SAO's English track was encoded at the highest possible quality for Dolby Digital, F/Z's track was encoded at the levels used for DVDs (much lower). Again, most people tend not to notice this, so it's rather pointless. People bring it up because they're expecting utter perfection from Aniplex in everything because they pay more (and yet never chide Funi/Viz/Sentai for their mistakes or even apologize for them).

Midjack posted:

For the most part no, but if I'm dropping six bills on a TV show it better be the best version possible.

Thanks for the exaggeration. The highest price for a domestic release (non-import) from AoA has been $360 for 25 episodes of SAO. The highest price AoA has charged for an import was $550 (for the same TTGL box as Japan).

ultimatemegax fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 22, 2014

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Shere posted:

It's really splitting hairs to call someone out on exaggeration and then throw down prices like $350-$550. If it costs as much as the decent 32-40" TV you're watching it on, it's pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
There's other hobbies that cost much more than what Aniplex of America charges and there'll always be people willing to pay for those. Everyone has something that others could say is ridiculous for how much they pay for it, so it's pointless to bring that up. It's not going to change their method or success of it.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The problem with the Aniplex method is, it makes it damned near impossible for large chunks of the audience to afford any of their shows. With Aniplex putting their stuff on Netflix, the problem is a little less egregious, but it's still impossible to legally watch Kara no Kyoukai for cheaper than 500 bucks.
The issue with Garden of Sinners goes back to Aniplex of Japan not wanting BDs in English anymore. There's nothing Aniplex of America can do on that end; they had the movies up on PSN for a while, but they probably got taken down due to lack of views. I'm sure they want to release another set, but if people aren't buying, there's nothing they can do on their end.

The Aniplex method is countering what is the current trend in North America: streaming and not buying discs. When one of your distributors says that 3,000 copies of a 12-13 episode set at $40 after discounts is a "hit" for them, it's obvious that the disc strategy is not doing as well as it had before. Revenue in the market dropped by a 1/3rd once we hit cour sets and hasn't come back, regardless of how cheap you make it. People aren't buying anymore; they're just watching streams. For that reason, it's incredibly smart of Aniplex to target streams on Hulu and Netflix while airing dubs on Toonami. That's where most people will watch; not a disc. Maximize your revenue from discs and put streams everywhere. That's just the way the market is moving unless you're Funi and will run DBZ re-hashs to the ground.

Here's something to think about : over 1 million people watched nearly every single Space Dandy episode. Maybe 1% would buy Funi's "cheap" set (10k tends to be the usual Funi level for successes).

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Mr. Stay-Puft posted:

Original, non-Rebuild Evangelion finally announced for Blu-ray next summer. Between the Blu-ray set and a new DVD box, all the confusingly different versions of the TV series, Death & Rebirth, and End of Eva will be available on disc (if I'm reading correctly, the only thing missing from the Blu-rays is a particular TV edit of Death & Rebirth).

The Blu-ray box will contain everything in its completed version except to include the first ever release of the original "Death" portion of "Death and Rebirth". The DVD-box also releasing next summer will have the original broadcast versions of the TV series and "Death(True) and Rebirth" (Death(True)'s first time on video release) which will not be included in the Blu-ray box.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Some guy on the Blu-ray forums said subtitles would require the company to license the subtitles out from the US distributors (Not that they couldn't just make their own subtitles.)

Besides, if they keep the dub off there they'll still be okay with whatever company they license it to since Japan doesn't give two shits about that.

Nope. JP rightsholders own the subtitle tracks to shows they produce that are made in foreign markets. There's little benefit to including English subtitles on the set as it's not going to increase sales by more than maybe 100 copies at most because international fans have been proven to be cheap. Better to keep the value of your rights higher anyways.

Geneon continues to include English dubs on their BD-Boxes when available without subtitles, so there are some companies that include dubs.

Can't wait to see how Funi or whoever licenses this fucks this up again. It's a new HD telecine from film, so it should look nice on the JP side before the typical Funi gently caress-ups.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....
Even if people notice, the amount of defenders going "Well, it's cheap! That's all that matters, right? It's the Japanese's fault Funi hosed up!" will outnumber any legitimate complaints.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, gently caress Funimation, they ruin everything!

Except you know, they just released Cowboy Bebop on Blu-Ray and from everything I've seen online, it has 0 issues and looks amazing. So if they released Evangelion there's no reason to believe they wouldn't handle it just the same. But yeah, let's get mad before they even release anything because that's totally reasonable!

Right, it looks amazing with nothing done to the image at all.

That's also not including the brightness issue that Funi/Sentai/Viz/Sevakis all suffer from where the black levels used in NA analog tape players/recorders are slightly brighter than Japanese/European levels, so all images instantly get brighter, resulting in a loss of detail from the very first step (transferring from tapes to digital files).

But let's just defend Funi because CHEAP ANIME IS THE poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Space Dandy season 1 has hit in the US.

They put episodes 1-10 on the first disc and 11-13 on the second, I have no idea why they thought divvying the episodes up like that was a good idea. You think they'd do something like 7-6 instead.

Box is nice looking though.

The reason they do it is disc space. By cramming 9-10 episodes on one disc and 3-4 on another, they can use 1 50 GB disc and 1 25 GB disc instead of 2 50 GB discs, thus saving money. By cramming 10 episodes on disc 1, they have enough room on disc 2 for their special features.

This cheapness tends to be why you won't see Funi/Sentai license a lot of extras; they'd have to spend the extra money on 2 BD 50s and that's usually for guaranteed hits now, which says a lot about how they felt Dandy would do disc-wise.

• Locked thread