Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Maybe this would be a good place to ask. For shows like Steins;Gate, does Funimation traditionally release an 'actually complete' complete series blu-ray box set down the line? I really would like to own the show, and what I've seen of the dub has me extremely excited to see that, but I have a hard time swallowing $40+ for half of a show. I know we've come a long way on pricing, shows used to be $20 for like 4 episodes on DVD, but $40-50 for what ultimately amounts to just half of the show is still a bit silly to me.

I can understand it for shows that have multiple seasons, where episode 12 or 13 is a stopping point, but I just do not understand it for shows like Steins;Gate. Who is actually going to buy only half of the show?

The tl;dr is, will they eventually release a complete collection with episodes 1-25 all in one box for a sub-$60 price point? I really am not feeling the half-boxes with superfluous DVDs in them.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

That's awesome since a lot of that stuff was getting extremely pricey. The Anime Legends version of S-Cry-Ed was pushing $90 used, which admittedly I only noticed because some guy sold his big box of old-rear end anime at the store I work at yesterday. King Gainer was also up around $110~.

I'm super psyched about a Bebop Blu-ray. I've seen the show on TV a million times but missed out on buying the non-Anime Legends box for a reasonable price ($100+ for one with a non-ruined outer box, yeesh). Any word on whether they'd do the whole two-part complete series thing? I have to assume they will.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

I'm glad Bebop is finally surfacing, once details emerge about what version contains what I'll be all over that, but why can't I find anything about a Space Dandy US release anywhere? Surely the first half has been out long enough for one of Funi's classic "half a show" blu-ray "complete" sets to have a release date, but nada.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

ultimatemegax posted:

Thanks for the exaggeration. The highest price for a domestic release (non-import) from AoA has been $360 for 25 episodes of SAO. The highest price AoA has charged for an import was $550 (for the same TTGL box as Japan).

It's really splitting hairs to call someone out on exaggeration and then throw down prices like $350-$550. If it costs as much as the decent 32-40" TV you're watching it on, it's pretty ridiculous no matter how you slice it.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

Hatter106 posted:

You actually just inadvertently proved that nothing's wrong with this release.

Those effortposts you linked? They're arguing over the minuteness of grain detail. Jesus christ, get a grip.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/112881

Oh yeah, look at this garbage :jerkbag:

I was going to ask if it's okay that I can't tell the difference between the two. Then, I realized I'm outing myself as an anime blu-ray casual that is literally ruining the industry by refusing to pay $1/minute for anime. :negative:

Uznare posted:

That actually does look pretty bad fwiw. The release is fine for the most part from what I understand. But you could link something that helps your case better. It's obviously not anywhere near close to Viz's Sailor Moon.

e: I only noticed spike's face being 100% grain. US one is actually slightly better as someone pointed out to me.

I don't actually know how one is better than the other, how do you tell?

• Locked thread