Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't use LED strips or anything because my current desk/shelving situation would make them not so effective, but I do have an LED lamp positioned nearby at such an angle to spread some soft light around the room without shining any directly onto the panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got a 6 foot LED strip adhered to the back of my desk. It's USB powered and has an IR remote (the controller is near the USB plug but it's on the edge of the desk where I have it). The one I got has adjustable color temperature and while I used to keep it pretty high color temp I've been leaving it on a softer white recently so I don't stay up so late. Since it's 4am right now that's definitely working...

Anyway I got one branded CobaltX but I don't think they're on sale anymore. It was probably just a random chinese brand anyway so I'm sure if you find a similar LED strip with adjustable color temps it would be fine.

I had the adjustable white version of this:
https://morningsave.com/deals/cobaltx-led-light-strips-with-remote-6-5ft-or-10ft-9

Similar but not the exact same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Self-Adhesive-Dimmable-2800K-6500K-Daylight/dp/B0CFDZ7NFN/
https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Lighting-2700K-6500K-Dimmable-Backlight/dp/B0B979FNF3/

There's a lot of adjustable or dimmable with color temp adjustment. The main tech seems to be that they make them similar to an RGB strip but instead of different colors integrated they have different white color temps and will adjust some up and down depending what you pick for the color. I don't love the infrared remote for mine, it works, but it seems like they make some with RF remotes now. I'd stay away from app controlled or wifi ones but that's personal preference.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MSI's QD-OLED lineup to come bundled with Dragon's Dogma 2 for the next month: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/gaming-monitors-dragons-dogma2-game-bundle

Not sure they needed this to sell these monitors. They're already extremely hard to buy in the US and Canada.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 22, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

saw a deal that was too good to pass up and bought babbies first 4K 27" IPS monitor

holy moly this thing is crispy

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

repiv posted:

saw a deal that was too good to pass up and bought babbies first 4K 27" IPS monitor

holy moly this thing is crispy

What and where?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the LG 27GR93U is temporarily £420 on amazon, £100 cheaper than any equivalent monitor

not helpful if you're in the states but you lot generally get better deals anyway

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2024

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I got one for $500 last month, way down from launch price of $700. I like it. I was a bit concerned about contrast ratio since I've been using VAs for ages but it's been totally fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It helps that LG has started using polarizers that heavily reduce IPS glow and improve black uniformity. Contrast may still be 1000:1, but dark scenes aren't nearly as cloudy around the edges as other IPS panels.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

MSI's QD-OLED lineup to come bundled with Dragon's Dogma 2 for the next month: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/gaming-monitors-dragons-dogma2-game-bundle

Not sure they needed this to sell these monitors. They're already extremely hard to buy in the US and Canada.

They're also sponsoring all of Digital Foundry's recent videos with ads for the new OLEDs. It's like a game console launch. All this advertising for something that sold out on day 1.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I don't use LED strips or anything because my current desk/shelving situation would make them not so effective, but I do have an LED lamp positioned nearby at such an angle to spread some soft light around the room without shining any directly onto the panel.

Rexxed posted:

I've got a 6 foot LED strip adhered to the back of my desk. It's USB powered and has an IR remote (the controller is near the USB plug but it's on the edge of the desk where I have it). The one I got has adjustable color temperature and while I used to keep it pretty high color temp I've been leaving it on a softer white recently so I don't stay up so late. Since it's 4am right now that's definitely working...

Anyway I got one branded CobaltX but I don't think they're on sale anymore. It was probably just a random chinese brand anyway so I'm sure if you find a similar LED strip with adjustable color temps it would be fine.

I had the adjustable white version of this:
https://morningsave.com/deals/cobaltx-led-light-strips-with-remote-6-5ft-or-10ft-9

Similar but not the exact same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Self-Adhesive-Dimmable-2800K-6500K-Daylight/dp/B0CFDZ7NFN/
https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Lighting-2700K-6500K-Dimmable-Backlight/dp/B0B979FNF3/

There's a lot of adjustable or dimmable with color temp adjustment. The main tech seems to be that they make them similar to an RGB strip but instead of different colors integrated they have different white color temps and will adjust some up and down depending what you pick for the color. I don't love the infrared remote for mine, it works, but it seems like they make some with RF remotes now. I'd stay away from app controlled or wifi ones but that's personal preference.

Thanks guys, will probably pick something up next week

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I just saw a video about e-ink monitors, and good lord, those prices are insane. $800 for a 13 inch monitor. $1800 for anything bigger.

I'm not looking to purchase anything (I'm quite poor!), I'm just hoping that eventually e-ink monitors become more popular enough that the prices lower, and there are more manufacturers. I like the idea of e-ink monitors.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

god please help me posted:

I just saw a video about e-ink monitors, and good lord, those prices are insane. $800 for a 13 inch monitor. $1800 for anything bigger.

I'm not looking to purchase anything (I'm quite poor!), I'm just hoping that eventually e-ink monitors become more popular enough that the prices lower, and there are more manufacturers. I like the idea of e-ink monitors.

Have you ever used an e reader? Unless you only use your PC for reading, I'm not sure I want an e-ink display at any cost.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I had an extremely old e reader that eventually broke on me. I know already what e-ink is like, and it seems like the newer versions are much better than what I was used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7SDe5nYVo

Just watched this video about a person who managed to do a bunch of video editing on their e-ink monitor. The refresh rate and ghosting seem good enough for me. The monochrome aesthetic is a plus to me, along with the idea of not having a screen that can still display things even without light. It's just neat. :yum:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

How's he going to get any headshots with like 2 FPS? Priorities!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm planning a new PC build pretty soon and I'm excited! In the meantime I'm also keeping an eye out for good 3440 x 1440 displays.

Any thoughts on this one? My local Costco has some in stock for $300 and that sounds like a pretty fantastic price for a decent WQHD curved monitor. (The website incorrectly calls it UWQHD.)

https://www.costco.com/acer-nitro-34%22-class-uwqhd-curved-gaming-monitor-.product.4000157379.html

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I can’t really compare that one to this, but RTings.com rates the Dell S3422DWG as the best midrange ultrawide 1440 monitor they have tested, and Amazon has it for $330

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3422dwg

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh man. I was still hemming and hawing about a 32” 4k for dual use at ~30” distance, but the smaller panel simulation modes for the PG32UCDM may demolish my last bit of resistance. This thing looks like a fantastic all-rounder.

Really looking forward to ordering it in 2026 when it’s actually possible to get one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think 30" distance is just fine for a 32" 4K monitor. Mine is typically somewhere around that distance, and I don't have to move my head too much or anything.

You don't necessarily need a small-screen 'simulation' mode either. Setting a black windows background and playing in windowed mode accomplishes much the same thing.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Holy poo poo this OLED looks good. The blacks are so black.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yuuuup. If you've used OLED it's very hard to go back.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

I can’t really compare that one to this, but RTings.com rates the Dell S3422DWG as the best midrange ultrawide 1440 monitor they have tested, and Amazon has it for $330

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3422dwg

Cool. I'll add that to the wishlist and see how things shake out for my budget. If I have cash to burn later, I might get it. Thanks!

Internet Explorer posted:

Yuuuup. If you've used OLED it's very hard to go back.

I love how almost all phones now have OLED screens. Having the blacks actually be black and not just a backlit mass of dark gray is just amazing.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Cool. I'll add that to the wishlist and see how things shake out for my budget. If I have cash to burn later, I might get it. Thanks!

I love how almost all phones now have OLED screens. Having the blacks actually be black and not just a backlit mass of dark gray is just amazing.

The thing that sucks about phones with OLED screens is they're always way too dim in direct sunlight.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Be Outside

I smashed my monitor due to an improperly secured desktop so I am back in the market

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Just received the Asus PG32UCDM :love:

I've never been a fan of Asus aesthetics, so thankfully this one is pretty muted. The logo chin is kind of irritating, but with the light turned off it's barely noticable.

Text clarity (@125% scaling) seems much better than my C2 42 @100%. Colors seem a tad more vibrant, 240 Hz is nice on the desktop, but mainly it being 32" is much much more comfortable to play on. I finished up the campaign of Titanfall 2 on this thing and it performed admirably.

I kind of wish I waited a little longer for the LG 32 WOLED releasing soon but that lacks a SPDIF output which I wanted for consoles. I'm REALLY looking forward to diving back in to more shooters because this thing is gonna shine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gigabyte's QD-OLEDs are available for pre-order on Newegg now, shipping at the end of April:

FO32U2: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012081
FO32U2P: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012082
FO27Q3: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012080

$799 for the 27" model is competitive with MSI's pricing. $1099 for the baseline 32" model is between MSI's and Dell's/Asus' pricing. The "U2P" model is the one with full-fat Displayport 2.1, with the full 80gbps bandwidth supported. The only cards on the market right now that can even support it are the Radeon Pro W7800 and W7900 cards, but maybe you can see it as future-proofing for next-gen graphics cards. If you have a regular Radeon 7000 GPU, that won't support a high enough bandwidth to make a difference (you'll still be using Display Stream Compression, just like DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1).

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 26, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Anti-Hero posted:

I've never been a fan of Asus aesthetics, so thankfully this one is pretty muted. The logo chin is kind of irritating, but with the light turned off it's barely noticable.

I still want to know who is a fan of that aesthetic. Who in 2024 is dropping $1,000 on a monitor and going, "Aw yeah! Republic of Gamers! That's me!"

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm still not entirely sold on the price tag of an OLED screen, even if I do really want to take the chance, this deal might be what ends up breaking my resolve though. It's still very expensive, and I'm not sure my 4070 super will be able to fully utilise it, but it's tempting. Quick, somebody talk me out of it before pay day arrives!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Redundant posted:

I'm still not entirely sold on the price tag of an OLED screen, even if I do really want to take the chance, this deal might be what ends up breaking my resolve though. It's still very expensive, and I'm not sure my 4070 super will be able to fully utilise it, but it's tempting. Quick, somebody talk me out of it before pay day arrives!

A 4070 Super will drive 3440 x 1440 just fine, I had no trouble making the most of one when I was testing with my 3080

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

wash bucket posted:

I still want to know who is a fan of that aesthetic. Who in 2024 is dropping $1,000 on a monitor and going, "Aw yeah! Republic of Gamers! That's me!"

I really have no idea. Do people in their 20s have this much cash to drop on a display? Because now that I'm 40 that aesthetic is a real big turn off.

My understanding is Newegg has a 30 day no-questions-asked return policy, so I'm tempted to A/B this unit against the LG 32 WOLED. Toys are fun!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Excuse me but I've got an Asus laptop and let me tell you the republic of gamers loading thing is really super duper cool. The laptop is a piece of poo poo though.

Embrace the RGB. Yeah yeah I know you're super serious adults and too cool for that aesthetic we get it. Besides it doesn't matter it's facing a wall anyway.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 26, 2024

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Excuse me but I've got an Asus laptop and let me tell you the republic of gamers loading thing is really super duper cool. The laptop is a piece of poo poo though.

I don't like that it plays a noise at boot time by default. Even if you disable it in the bios, a bios update resets that. I live in fear of starting my laptop in a coffee shop or library and it playing the stupid whooshing sound and embarrassing me

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I had the stupid ASUS ROG angry googly eyes or whatever it’s supposed to be appear during boot of my computer and I realized way too late into that motherboard’s life that it could be disabled.

Gamer aesthetic is a blight.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

buglord posted:

I had the stupid ASUS ROG angry googly eyes or whatever it’s supposed to be appear during boot of my computer and I realized way too late into that motherboard’s life that it could be disabled.

Gamer aesthetic is a blight.

I appreciate the mountain of stickers MSI includes with every one of their products

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Preordered that 32U2P, we'll see if it actually ships. Display port 2.1 should be nice when the 5090 comes around.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

$799 for the 27" model is competitive with MSI's pricing. $1099 for the baseline 32" model is between MSI's and Dell's/Asus' pricing. The "U2P" model is the one with full-fat Displayport 2.1, with the full 80gbps bandwidth supported. The only cards on the market right now that can even support it are the Radeon Pro W7800 and W7900 cards, but maybe you can see it as future-proofing for next-gen graphics cards. If you have a regular Radeon 7000 GPU, that won't support a high enough bandwidth to make a difference (you'll still be using Display Stream Compression, just like DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.1).

DSC isn't a binary thing, giving it HDMI 2.1 or one of the slower DP2.1 modes does at least mean it has a higher bitrate to work with and artifacts are less likely

speaking of 80gbps mode has anyone managed to make a DP80 certified cable longer than 1.2 meters yet

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

DSC isn't a binary thing, giving it HDMI 2.1 or one of the slower DP2.1 modes does at least mean it has a higher bitrate to work with and artifacts are less likely

speaking of 80gbps mode has anyone managed to make a DP80 certified cable longer than 1.2 meters yet

DSC has two modes, a 2:1 mode and a 3:1 mode, with no variable bitrate or anything like that. I guess DP 1.4 is on the edge and just barely needs 3:1 mode while DP 2.1 with UHBR13.5 can get by with the 2:1 mode, but I don't think anyone should care about this at all. Image degradation from DSC is already extremely difficult to notice with the 3:1 mode as it is.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh i thought it was more granular than that for some reason

on a related note i was surprised to find that my new 27GR93U is only gsync certified over displayport, when the HDMI 2.1 input is (slightly) better objectively speaking

it works fine with gsync manually enabled so :iiam:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Lookin for a new monitor. My only reservation is that curved monitors seem to be the thing now and I've never used one. What's the benefit? Is it not just a gimmick? Does it make the games feel like real life???

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I'm not if size makes a difference, but I had a large curved screen TV in my living room. My uncle came to visit one day and said that the curved screen helped his eyes, which were damaged by blood vessels growing where they're not supposed to (retinopathy?), see normally for the first time in a long while. Other than that, as someone with thankfully healthy eyes I can't really recall it being that much different than a regular flat screen. My family enjoyed it well enough, but I think I'd also be okay with a flat screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Alt-tabbing is incredibly slow with my new display. It's as if it's changing resolutions between the desktop and whatever game I'm playing. I'm thinking I should do a fresh GPU install. Is there anything else I can do to scrub stuff from the old display to see if that's causing it?