Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Thanks, RTings is super helpful. OLED looks pretty pricey, so I'm probably going to go IPS for now

go OLED or go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i'm gonna go home while the oled stays displayed in the store, with the tv station banners burnt in after 2 weeks

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Yaoi Gagarin posted:

I think this was specifically some korean IPS monitors that had only dvi input because you could overclock them to 96hz. back when all IPS panels were officially stuck at 60

I still have one of these! I don't use it as it's DVI and my video card doesn't have that input though. Mine was 1440p and overclocked to about 120hz before it started buzzing at higher hz. It was dirt cheap compared to other similar monitors back in the day.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Amnomia posted:

go OLED or go home

Go home for sure. I'm most interested in IPS black right now tbh

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Go home for sure. I'm most interested in IPS black right now tbh

I was looking at this too, but there don't seem to be any 4k ips black monitors with a >60 Hz refresh rate.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I was looking at this too, but there don't seem to be any 4k ips black monitors with a >60 Hz refresh rate.

If you are ok with 4k ultra-wide, there is the Dell U4025QW.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Kibner posted:

Yeah this one seems extremely nice, but just brace yourself for the price

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 2, 2024

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I dunno about curved monitors. I like having a multiple monitor monitors, which seems more difficult with curved screens.

More importantly though, I edit photos, and doing that on a curved surface seems weird.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kibner posted:

RTINGS just ordered one of these, so we should see a review of it this month. As the first 120hz IPS black monitor (I think?), I'm curious to see if it will actually have response times and input lag suitable to gaming. (even if it's really not meant to be a gaming monitor)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

RTINGS just ordered one of these, so we should see a review of it this month. As the first 120hz IPS black monitor (I think?), I'm curious to see if it will actually have response times and input lag suitable to gaming. (even if it's really not meant to be a gaming monitor)

There are other high refresh ones, this is just the first high refresh 4k one. I think LG and Dell both make 120hz 1440p ips black panels. Not at my computer to look up the models, though.

posadas
Jan 28, 2021
I just ordered up a LG 27GS95QE-B, and as the first 10-bit, 60Hz+ monitor that I've owned, I don't actually know what my GTX 1070's DisplayPort output is capable of outputting
From what I've gathered, while the 1070 supports DisplayPort 1.4, it doesn't have DSC (which is only supported by the next generation and later), and the bandwidth isn't enough to run it at 10 bit color, 1440p, and 240Hz. But I can't seem to find out what the maximum supported settings are. I guess I could try multiplying pixel count * color depth * 3 * framerate and seeing if it exceeds the bandwidth of the spec, but I assume there's protocol overhead and other factors which make that an unreliable estimate

Running 60hz, 8-bit displays all my life, I've never had a situation where I couldn't actually drive a monitor to its maximum potential, so I'm not sure what happens here. Will the OS (let's say windows) allow you to select a combination of resolution, color depth, and frame rate that the output can't handle, or will it properly limit your options based on what you've selected?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Wtf is a "IPS black monitor"?

Edit: looked it up. He wasn't talking about a black colored regular IPS :D It's a new tech that mimics OLED somewhat... better blacks and colors... don't think it gets close to real oled though?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 3, 2024

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I had to look it up, and apparently it lets ips monitors get better and darker black colors, which is what OLEDs are prized for.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
allegedly, ips black 2.0 is in expected to arrive to consumers within two years, bringing the usual IPS goodness, but with a 3000:1 contrast ratio instead of plain ips 1000:1. that's VA level contrast, but without all the issues VAs tend to still have

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Edit: looked it up. He wasn't talking about a black colored regular IPS :D It's a new tech that mimics OLED somewhat... better blacks and colors... don't think it gets close to real oled though?

IPS black is just IPS but with a 2000:1 contrast ratio instead of 1000:1. It's not accurate to say it mimics OLED. The pixels aren't self emissive, and it's not anywhere remotely close to OLED in terms of contrast.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

PirateBob posted:

It's ips with double the contrast ratio. It's not an oled competitor as such, it's just a very welcome advancement of lcd tech

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I finished Alan Wake 2 earlier this week and all I could think during the last few chapters was "drat I wish I was playing this on an OLED monitor." There's "grey-black" and then there's "black-black"

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Kibner posted:

Will report back when it shows up but I expect it's pretty good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If anyone posts the details of my seed unit online i'm going to loving freak out

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

change my name posted:

I finished Alan Wake 2 earlier this week and all I could think during the last few chapters was "drat I wish I was playing this on an OLED monitor." There's "grey-black" and then there's "black-black"

Swap that 4070 Ti for the AW3225QF.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
How long until we get a decent 38 or 39 inch ultrawide with oled (preferably woled), with a higher than 3440x1440 resolution, and not an insanely deep curve?

The new LG 39GS95QE does not seem satisfying at all.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

PirateBob posted:

How long until we get a decent 38 or 39 inch ultrawide with oled (preferably woled), with a higher than 3440x1440 resolution, and not an insanely deep curve?

The new LG 39GS95QE does not seem satisfying at all.

Some time in 2025 or thereabouts:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm looking for a monitor to use for work. I hate multiple monitors (i'm a huge weirdo i know) and just want to be able to pin stuff side by side on one big one. Right now I have a whatever lovely 25in HP that i got at my old work that they didn't want back, but I NEED MORE SPACE. I was thinking a 34in ultrawide will do the trick. I don't need it to play video games or anything although it might be nice for my partner to plugin the macbook pro and play some baldur's gate on the thing (she probably won't though).

Is this good/bad? Other suggestions?

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/34-viewfinity-s50gc-ultra-wqhd-100hz-amd-freesync-hdr10-monitor-ls34c502ganxza/

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Some time in 2025 or thereabouts:

Sigh. I shall be patient.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

PirateBob posted:

Sigh. I shall be patient.

There are others patiently waiting too, like me. I have two RGB Sony OLED PVMs to use in the meantime though.

It’ll be worth the wait.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I'm looking for a monitor to use for work. I hate multiple monitors (i'm a huge weirdo i know) and just want to be able to pin stuff side by side on one big one. Right now I have a whatever lovely 25in HP that i got at my old work that they didn't want back, but I NEED MORE SPACE. I was thinking a 34in ultrawide will do the trick. I don't need it to play video games or anything although it might be nice for my partner to plugin the macbook pro and play some baldur's gate on the thing (she probably won't though).

Is this good/bad? Other suggestions?

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/34-viewfinity-s50gc-ultra-wqhd-100hz-amd-freesync-hdr10-monitor-ls34c502ganxza/

It's a VA panel which generally is good to avoid for monitor use. It's expected in this price range though. I'm also a big fan of that aspect ratio for work and am currently using a https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-34-curved-video-conferencing-monitor-p3424web/apd/210-bgmm/monitors-monitor-accessories for that. I have been a fan of Dell monitors for years. The 3 year warranty has been nice and I just swapped a 2.5 year old Alienware out for what was essentially an otherwise new one with a nick on the back. An easy to overlook feature is their tendency to integrate the power supplies.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I guess they real answer is :
throw that LCD monitor you bought 6 months ago in the trash were it belongs and spend at lot of money on a OLED monitor.

but I was wondering if there was a good way to connect my delightful OLED TV to my computer that's roughly 7 meters away from it.
I'd like to play games on it you see, such as the aforementioned Alan Wake 2.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

They make HDMI and DisplayPort cables that long. They have active repeaters in them.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

bone emulator posted:

I guess they real answer is :
throw that LCD monitor you bought 6 months ago in the trash were it belongs and spend at lot of money on a OLED monitor.

but I was wondering if there was a good way to connect my delightful OLED TV to my computer that's roughly 7 meters away from it.
I'd like to play games on it you see, such as the aforementioned Alan Wake 2.

You could get a really long HDMI cable, but the bandwidth goes down the longer it is. You may or may not get 4K 120hz. Not sure. I get 4K 120hz (and g-sync, hdr, 10bit etc) on my 5 meter cable. Quality matters too. Don't cheap out on HDMI.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Apr 6, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Another option is an optical HDMI cable. I recently bought a 10 meter long HDMI 2.1 cable from KableDirekt. Supports 4K at 120Hz with variable refresh rate.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My new PC build is working out and my budget is okay, so I'm pulling the trigger on the Dell S3422DWG per the thread recommendation. Arrives tomorrow! :getin:

I think what really locked it in for me was testing out the 144Hz capabilities of my newer monitor after removing the older secondary which was bottlenecking the refresh rate. Played around with 144Hz for a few minutes and could immediately tell the difference. Amazing.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I don't think the secondary should have been bottlenecking your main monitor, it should have been running at 144Hz.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I want to say the gtx 1000 series had a bug where a mismatched refresh kept it from clocking down but it still was possible is slightly noisier at idle.

I'll also echo my previous warnings about a VA panel, doubly so on a gaming focused monitor.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's the difference between whatever oled panel is used in the older displays like the LG CX, and the new WOLEDs?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saukkis posted:

I don't think the secondary should have been bottlenecking your main monitor, it should have been running at 144Hz.

Oh? That's interesting. I wonder if it's just the games I was playing that weren't using the right framerate due to my monitor setup.

Well, I needed the new monitor anyway, so it's all good. I'll be set for a long time with this.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Saukkis posted:

Another option is an optical HDMI cable. I recently bought a 10 meter long HDMI 2.1 cable from KableDirekt. Supports 4K at 120Hz with variable refresh rate.

Pricey, but this seems to be what I needed, regular 120hz 4k cables max out at 5m it seems

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the go-to 1440p gaming monitor these days

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hooked my PS5 up to my Asus PG32UCDM and was very disappointed at how slow input switching it.

When I go from HDMI1 (PC) to HDMI2 (PS5) it takes a little bit to mode switch, with a blank screen for a couple seconds. Expected. But when switching back to HDMI1 it is very unreliable in handshaking, often saying “no signal detected” and I have to press randoms poo poo, shake the mouse, alt tab etc to reestablish a handshake. This isn’t expected behavior, is it?

Using my LG C2 was brainlessly quick to switch input.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the go-to 1440p gaming monitor these days

There isn't any one go-to, and the options range from $170 to $900. It really depends on what you want (super high refresh rates, OLED or LCD, HDR or not). If you're just asking for a basic high-refresh gaming LCD, I'd say maybe the Dell G2724D (on sale for $200 currently). Here's the RTINGS review: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/g2724d

(edit: the ship times on Amazon for that monitor are unusually long, but it's also available from dell direct with much faster shipping: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-g2724d/apd/210-bhxc/monitors-monitor-accessories)

Anti-Hero posted:

Hooked my PS5 up to my Asus PG32UCDM and was very disappointed at how slow input switching it.

When I go from HDMI1 (PC) to HDMI2 (PS5) it takes a little bit to mode switch, with a blank screen for a couple seconds. Expected. But when switching back to HDMI1 it is very unreliable in handshaking, often saying “no signal detected” and I have to press randoms poo poo, shake the mouse, alt tab etc to reestablish a handshake. This isn’t expected behavior, is it?

Using my LG C2 was brainlessly quick to switch input.

If your PC has been idle for a while, then it'll have stopped trying to send a signal to your monitors. Switching inputs back to your PC won't be enough in that case, you'll have to move your mouse or something to get windows to send a wake signal to your monitors.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If your PC has been idle for a while, then it'll have stopped trying to send a signal to your monitors. Switching inputs back to your PC won't be enough in that case, you'll have to move your mouse or something to get windows to send a wake signal to your monitors.

Yeah, but it's very inconsistent. I'll shake the mouse, alt-tab around, etc. and it often times just says "HDMI1 no signal". It will take up to 20 seconds of my doing all I can to reestablish the handshake. This poo poo was flawless with my C2 and it would re-establish the signal very reliably.

I wonder if that was a by product of using the LG Companion app?