Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

As someone mentioned earlier, call dell and ask them if you can get a longer warranty, and they'll be happy to sell you it for an additional $50 to $150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Is the extended warranty the same as the one that comes with new monitors (0 dead/stuck pixel policy, etc.)?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Not sure. Call and ask. Post a trip report.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone bought anything from https://www.bestdirect.ca? They have the Dell U2711 for $746 canadian which is $100 cheaper than Dell.ca's sale price.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a Dell 2209WA which I bought about nine months ago. I fell in love with it from the moment I saw it and I don't think I can ever go back to using a TN panel now. I mostly use my PC for games, plus the usual web surfing, and a bit of casual graphic design for my website. The viewing angle and colour consistency are just so much better than any previous monitor that I owned. But hey, it's the monitor thread, so you guys know that.

I've been waiting a little while but the time has come to buy a second monitor. I assumed I would just get another 2209WA but of course Dell went and discontinued it. I really don't want two monitors with different sizes and resolutions, that just seems like a bad idea. So my options appear to be:

1. Buy a second 2209WA for ~£225. This was my original plan but the price hasn't dropped since I bought mine so it doesn't feel like a good deal. In fact I paid £200 for mine and that wasn't even on offer.

2. Buy two U2211Hs for ~£415 total. These are only 21.5in so I'm losing space on my main screen, I don't really like this option.

3. Buy two U2311Hs for ~£470 total. More screen space and higher resolution, and if I can sell my 2209 then it seems like a reasonable price. But now I'm worried about the AG issue that people keeping talking about in this thread. Has anyone compared the U2311H to a 2209WA? I've had zero issues with my current screen, am I likely to notice something on these?

With the last two options I'm pretty sure I could sell my existing 2209WA for £150 or more, since it's in perfect condition. So I think it's between the first and third options really. I'm just concerned about the AG. I don't know anywhere near me that will stock these for me to look at them, the only shops we have in the UK and stuff like PC World which mostly just sell lovely/budget TN panels.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Misread some prices, fixed now.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 31, 2010

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

Has anyone bought anything from https://www.bestdirect.ca? They have the Dell U2711 for $746 canadian which is $100 cheaper than Dell.ca's sale price.
They're supposedly a sister company to NCIX, who also have the U2711 listed and it's in stock. So if you're looking at getting that monitor, you can always try price matching it at NCIX and get the extra options available there (mainly customer service and shipping options).

Still, the warranty terms when purchasing from a Dell reseller haven't really been cleared up yet. The product page on NCIX says 1 year, and apparently someone asked both a Dell and an NCIX rep about it. The Dell rep said 1 year, the NCIX rep said 3 years like it's supposed to be directly from Dell. It's probably a good idea to call and clarify with Dell what their policy is for reseller warranties.

Xybjj
Sep 11, 2010

Steakandchips posted:

Get a friend to buy it in Singapore, Malaysia or the States and bring it over. That's what I did.

Almost everything in the Dell Online Store in Singapore is always on sale, so you can take your time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Ok gently caress it, after a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that the rational choice is the Dell U2311H. Although it does seem significantly more expensive, its marginal cost to me is only around those $150 or so for what is (hopefully) a much better monitor. The only remaining concern is the anti glare coating :ohdear:

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Tunga posted:

Any thoughts?

Edit: Misread some prices, fixed now.

Aren't the U23 and U22 the same pixel resolution - 1920x1080? I'm not sure what other differences are between them than 1 inch.

The problem with finding another identical screen to match your current one is you're not going to have a lot of choice buying new, if you can even find one. You can always run the risk on ebay 2nd-hand, but then you don't have things like warranty/return policy to fall back on. You can also get colour matching issues with screens of different ages/revisions unless you have colourimeter.

As for the AG coating, I just had a U2410 delivered today (might write up a bit on that later) and for me it's not a problem, but I've only ever used matte displays anyway, and so far it doesn't seem noticely worse than those. I'm really pleased with it so far.

I'd look for an online shop with a good returns policy. In the UK you're covered by the DSR so you can return in 7 days for any reason, but only if you're buying as an individual/consumer. I don't think you're covered if you buy from the Dell Business site for example. And nearly all shops won't refund return postage costs if you do return (which is pretty understandable). But it gives you a bit of a trial period.

Remember the VAT increases on the 4th :)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manny posted:

The problem with finding another identical screen to match your current one is you're not going to have a lot of choice buying new, if you can even find one.
Ebuyer still have stock, says 1 right now but it was higher earlier and their stock figures are generally batshit so I just ignore them. Seems to be a few places with them in the UK actually.

quote:

As for the AG coating, I just had a U2410 delivered today (might write up a bit on that later) and for me it's not a problem, but I've only ever used matte displays anyway, and so far it doesn't seem noticely worse than those. I'm really pleased with it so far.
Thanks, I expect it'll be okay, always used matte myself as well. Though I don't think these two models use the same panels?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My new year's resolution was to grab an SP2309W and they don't exist any more

:cry:

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Tunga posted:

Thanks, I expect it'll be okay, always used matte myself as well. Though I don't think these two models use the same panels?

Sorry, I meant I havent noticed it any worse than any other screen I'd used.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Tunga posted:

Though I don't think these two models use the same panels?
The U2311H and the U2410 do use different panels, but have similar AG coatings, with the U2410's generally being considered to be heavier. The U2211H also uses a slightly different panel from the U2311H (really the same one just smaller), and shares both the resolution (1920x1080) and the AG coating.

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
What do you guys think of this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

It seems to have everything I'm looking for but are there any better deals out there?

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
gently caress, the U2311H just switched from being on sale for $269 to being on sale for $239. I ordered it when it was $269, and FedEx will deliver it tomorrow. Is it possible to get Dell to refund me $30?

Edit~Oh, wait, Canada. Nevermind.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 2, 2011

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
Does anyone have any idea when WQXGA or anything bigger than 1920x1080 screens will start to filter down in price, like say under the $500 range? I could care less if it's a TN panel, but the one main thing that always gives me pause on going with a monitor past 24 inches is that the cheaper ones are all full HD only which seems like a big waste of space as I'm still 10 or so years from valuing text size over resolution.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Ryokurin posted:

Does anyone have any idea when WQXGA or anything bigger than 1920x1080 screens will start to filter down in price, like say under the $500 range?
There is already the occasional monitor that meets those requirements--filter search on newegg and you'll find a few. However, they're pretty niche products, and I wouldn't expect any serious growth in that segment this coming year. Simply put, "Full HD" is enough of a consumer draw that there's little reason to push things higher--office workers don't really need it, and budget-conscious consumers aren't going to want to spend the extra money on a video card beefy enough to power one, anyhow.

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:
So any opinions on the ST2220T from dell? A 21.5" IPS panel with infrared touch technology for $300.00. What do you guys think? It's cheap enough that i might just order it for some random tech fun, but i don't like the 2 week shipping delay.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Garth Fader posted:

So any opinions on the ST2220T from dell? A 21.5" IPS panel with infrared touch technology for $300.00. What do you guys think? It's cheap enough that i might just order it for some random tech fun, but i don't like the 2 week shipping delay.

it looks pretty good, and it has 82% color gamut. I'm not sure how well infrared touch compares to capacitative/resistive though.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Here is a good overview of all the different touch technologies :

http://www.nextwindow.com/optical/comparison.html

Garth Fader
Oct 8, 2008
I'm Very Stupid
gather ye round, and listen to my stupid

PS: This is me fellating capitalism:
:a2m:

ease posted:

Here is a good overview of all the different touch technologies :

http://www.nextwindow.com/optical/comparison.html

So it's basically better than capacitative in most ways, and is only $300? I may just have to toss down for this thing, but does windows 7 really have that much touch integration?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the end I decided to just order a second 2209WA. The screen quality is generally considered to be better than on the U2311H, plus I prefer 16:10, and the resolution seems fine for gaming. Feels silly buying an older monitor for almost the same price but it seemed like the best choie.

Which leads to my next question. Can anyone recommend a reasonable <£150 22-23in screen? It's for my Mum, she has my old 19in at the moment but she wants to watch BBC iPlayer (so 480p and occasionally 720p) and similar on a nicer screen, as well as using it for general web/office stuff. No gaming use at all. 16:9 or 16:10, doesn't really matter.

She loves my 2209WA, and she was going to steal it if I replaced it. But since I'm keeping it now, just considering some cheaper options for her.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Hah, don't cheap out on your mum. Get her a U2211H. :shobon: Its like £159 ex VAT on Dell.co.uk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

I must say, my U2311 arrived yesterday and this is easily the best monitor I've ever owned. Bear in mind that this is coming from someone who has purchased and promptly returned a few LCDs over the years because they weren't as good as the reviews claimed. It's nice to finally find a worthy replacement for my good old NEC CRT, especially since, a couple of days after ordering the U2311, it started having a few 'glitchy' moments.

I just wish that there wasn't such a large price difference between the 2311 and 2410 because, while the 23" is a good size given my viewing distance and desk size, that extra vertical space would still be nice.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
I currently have a 1905FP from around six years ago as my only and main monitor (first lcd too). It has served me well in games and everything I have asked it to do. But being in college all the computers have 24 inch dells, some even have two! Going back to my 19 inch just makes everything cramped when working now. Looking up my 1905FP I now see that it is not as amazing as I once had thought with a 20ms response time among other things.

So now I am looking to upgrade to possibly a U3011. With that I have a few questions:
Is the dell site still the best place to order from?
How often does dell put the monitors on sale?
Should I wait for a sale?
Or should I really just save my money and get something else?

Hibame fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 6, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hibame posted:

So now I am looking to upgrade to possibly a U3011. With that I have a few questions:

I have a U3011. It was an upgrade from a 24" CRT. I am very, very happy with it. That being said:

1. Yes, it gives you the least warranty headaches that way. It is not guaranteed when you buy from someone else that the warranty will transfer to you. I got lucky and found a nice Dell rep who happily took care of that for me because I bought mine brand new, just not from Dell. Also, you can exchange the panel for even one dead pixel. Premium Panel guarantee, bitches.
2. Compared to other retailers, fairly often, though the 27" and 30" sales are just a little bit rarer.
3. Yes.
4. It depends. Do you want 30"? Would you be happy with a 24"? Are you ok with keeping the U3011 box around to transport the monitor from dorm->home? I recommend that your purchase have the ability to take component + HDMI inputs, so you can chill in your dorm with a console or two (assuming you guys don't already have a TV).

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007

Hibame posted:

I currently have a 1905FP from around six years ago as my only and main monitor (first lcd too). It has served me well in games and everything I have asked it to do. But being in college all the computers have 24 inch dells, some even have two! Going back to my 19 inch just makes everything cramped when working now. Looking up my 1905FP I now see that it is not as amazing as I once had thought with a 20ms response time among other things.

Dell has it on sale for ~$1034 after X$0SQC0B7J0JBN as a coupon. Should include tax and S&H. Great time to pick one up. This is as cheap as I've seen them go.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008

madjdmyo posted:

Dell has it on sale for ~$1034 after X$0SQC0B7J0JBN as a coupon. Should include tax and S&H. Great time to pick one up. This is as cheap as I've seen them go.

Sadly I don't think this works on the 30inch.

vvvvvv It would seem that the home section one comes with a $100 coupon that can't be removed. Thanks! vvvvvvv

Hibame fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2011

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Worked for me, try this link for the U3011:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=224-9949

The code expires at the end of the month, so I guess you would have a little time to decide whether to pull the trigger or not.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

:siren: SALE! :siren:

U3011 - $1050
U2711 - $769
U2211H - $195

Don't forget, you do have to pay sales tax on these, but prices are still pretty damned awesome.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm already sorta regretting going for my second and third 24" monitors instead of a giant 30", so here's hoping Eyefinity is really sweet.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

I'm already sorta regretting going for my second and third 24" monitors instead of a giant 30", so here's hoping Eyefinity is really sweet.
Eyefinity is really sweet.

Dr. Gaius Baltar
Mar 12, 2008

I've been framed!
The time has come.

Dell 23" U2311H 1920x1080 IPS LCD - $199.99 shipped + sales tax

I bought this monitor for $285 last week. Enjoy your awesome deals you jerks.

Dr. Gaius Baltar fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 7, 2011

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:pwn: Yeah, I just paid around $300. Why would Dell even run an eBay store? Ebay is so hosed up.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

The time has come.

Is there any chance of them refunding the difference if you threaten to return the monitor?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Dr. Gaius Baltar posted:

The time has come.

I just pulled the trigger cause I saw it on Slickdeals. $212 with tax in IL.

Edit: I think I accidentally overdrafted my checking account while doing it. poo poo. Forgot my primary on Paypal was my checking account rather than my CC. (I'm dumb)

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 7, 2011

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Well, now I'm torn. I was planning on buying the U2410 for $499, but this is pretty tempting. Besides the resolution difference, is there much else to distinguish the two monitors?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

more friedman units posted:

Well, now I'm torn. I was planning on buying the U2410 for $499, but this is pretty tempting. Besides the resolution difference, is there much else to distinguish the two monitors?
There is quite a bit, in fact. How much of it matters is up to you to decide:

The U2410 has a wide-gamut, which tends to make colors "pop" a bit more and has more possible colors, but doesn't always line up perfectly with normal-gamut content. It also has 12b internal processing, and a poo poo-ton of adjustment options. None of which really applies to you unless you do a lot of content-creation and actually have use for it. For 95% of us, the only salient differences are that it's 1" larger, 120 pixels taller, and has a lot more inputs (DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Component, and Composite). It's also $300 more expensive, making it a really hard sell right now unless you need some of the specific features.

ghost biscuit
Sep 28, 2002

I literally just pulled the trigger Tuesday at $270. God dammit.

Any hope to get back the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Just call Dell up and ask. They matched the difference for me when I called the day I received my monitor and a better deal came up. It can't hurt.