Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

DrDork posted:

There is quite a bit, in fact. How much of it matters is up to you to decide:

The U2410 has a wide-gamut, which tends to make colors "pop" a bit more and has more possible colors, but doesn't always line up perfectly with normal-gamut content. It also has 12b internal processing, and a poo poo-ton of adjustment options. None of which really applies to you unless you do a lot of content-creation and actually have use for it. For 95% of us, the only salient differences are that it's 1" larger, 120 pixels taller, and has a lot more inputs (DP, HDMI, DVI, VGA, Component, and Composite). It's also $300 more expensive, making it a really hard sell right now unless you need some of the specific features.

Thanks for the advice! I went with the U2311H. I don't do content creation or probably need all of the features of the U2410. The larger size and inputs would be be nice, but probably not $300 nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005
That's a sweet deal for the U2311H. I wish I can cash out my 23" LG for it.

Congrats you lucky bastards. :)

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wow, I was about to buy it for more the other day. Glad I waited.

What is the reasoning behind the huge price break? Are they trying to move the last of a production line, or perhaps going to discontinue this model shortly?

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Any idea how long this deal will last? Can I wait a week or two to pull the trigger you think?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

Lief posted:

Any idea how long this deal will last? Can I wait a week or two to pull the trigger you think?

No, I don't think this deal will last until sunrise.

Edit: 172 remaining, 828 sold.

fuseshock fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 7, 2011

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004

fuseshock posted:

No, I don't think this deal will last until sunrise.

Edit: 172 remaining, 828 sold.

gently caress it, I'm in.

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY
I read in the OP that the U3011 has "significant reports of input lag". Can anyone expound on this? Has anyone here experienced it? Any information is much appreciated, as I know I'll go with a Dell IPS panel, and while I'd love a 30" one, that's the only thing holding me back right now.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

I read in the OP that the U3011 has "significant reports of input lag". Can anyone expound on this? Has anyone here experienced it? Any information is much appreciated, as I know I'll go with a Dell IPS panel, and while I'd love a 30" one, that's the only thing holding me back right now.

People on [H] were bitching about it, but I've playing FPSes just fine on it (TF2, L4D2, whatever). Using GPU scaling (but trying to run native-res when able), it doesn't bug me, and I came from a CRT.

Haven't tried a console hooked up to HDMI yet though, so can't comment on lag there, unfortunately.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Gosh darnit, the deal's already over.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

movax posted:

Haven't tried a console hooked up to HDMI yet though, so can't comment on lag there, unfortunately.
There should be little/no difference between playing something 1920x1080 scaled to 2560x1600 over DVI and playing a console scaled to 2560x1600 over HDMI. Either way it should be acceptable for most people, doubly so for anyone who's used to playing console games on a non-CRT TV.

livethepostmetal
Sep 14, 2007
Could any one tell me if this video card and monitor setup would have any problems running things like GTA IV on mid/high settings?

I don't have much money so I don't want to waste more than I have to on a monitor.

Video Card
MSI N460GTX Hawk GeForce GTX 460 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127518R

Monitor
ASUS MS246H 23.6" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD (Native Resolution 1920x1080) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236086

livethepostmetal fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 7, 2011

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
GTAIV is an extremely CPU bound game so your choice of GPU doesn't matter much. The 460 you've selected is more than adequate for high settings in that game provided you have the CPU to back it up. The monitor has no impact on the scenario. Asus makes pretty cheap 24"+ monitors so I doubt you can go any lower without buying a no-name budget brand.

tl;dr - looks fine.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Does anyone have experience with this kind of monitor: http://www.amazon.com/AOC-19-Inch-Class-LCD-Monitor/dp/B001PEXNG8/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294428908&sr=1-17? I like the design, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be uncomfortable.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Aardark posted:

Does anyone have experience with this kind of monitor: http://www.amazon.com/AOC-19-Inch-Class-LCD-Monitor/dp/B001PEXNG8/ref=sr_1_17?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294428908&sr=1-17? I like the design, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be uncomfortable.
No idea about the quality on that one, but I know someone who owns an Asus model that has a similar design.

The response to the Asus one I linked to either had people being perfectly fine with it or absolutely hating the angle you had to use with it and never getting over it. My advice is not to buy it unless you can see in in real life first.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

kuddles posted:

The response to the Asus one I linked to either had people being perfectly fine with it or absolutely hating the angle you had to use with it and never getting over it. My advice is not to buy it unless you can see in in real life first.

IMHO these are better suited for a kitchen or other workspace where you will be standing around it and working, not sitting.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
I have 3 monitors in mind but I'm still quite undecided:

- Asus MS238H: cheap, decent video quality (but wobbles easily and has a horrible stand)

- Samsung LX2370: rave reviews for this one, superb video quality, high contrast, deep blacks (but too light, has horrible touch buttons and wobbles A LOT)

- Samsung PX2370: seems to be an improved version of the LX on all accounts.

What I like is deep blacks, color vibrance and fidelity. Basically for me it's 99% video quality and 1% stupid features, touch buttons, appearance, view angle. It could look like a brick with horrible controls but if the image quality is superb I'll buy it.

I expect to do a whole lot of gaming on it, watching movies, reading poo poo. 1920x1080 obviously.

Be free to suggest otherwise, I don't know anything about monitors but I don't want to spend more than 350$.

Paino fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 8, 2011

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Does LED lacklighting mean better picture quality? Should I opt for LED backlit displays or non-LED backlit?

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Entreri posted:

Does LED lacklighting mean better picture quality? Should I opt for LED backlit displays or non-LED backlit?

LED lasts longer, but it depends on the type of LEDs for picture quality (For example: Dell's ultrasharps all use CCFL backlighting afaik).

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Paino posted:

I have 3 monitors in mind but I'm still quite undecided:

- Asus MS238H: cheap, decent video quality (but wobbles easily and has a horrible stand)

- Samsung LX2370: rave reviews for this one, superb video quality, high contrast, deep blacks (but too light, has horrible touch buttons and wobbles A LOT)

- Samsung PX2370: seems to be an improved version of the LX on all accounts.

What I like is deep blacks, color vibrance and fidelity. Basically for me it's 99% video quality and 1% stupid features, touch buttons, appearance, view angle. It could look like a brick with horrible controls but if the image quality is superb I'll buy it.

I expect to do a whole lot of gaming on it, watching movies, reading poo poo. 1920x1080 obviously.

Be free to suggest otherwise, I don't know anything about monitors but I don't want to spend more than 350$.

You should probably consider a Dell U2311. It's more expensive, $280 at the moment, but you can't really go wrong.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Monitor/Display Megathread 2 - gently caress you, buy the U2311H.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

David Tennant posted:

You should probably consider a Dell U2311. It's more expensive, $280 at the moment, but you can't really go wrong.

Wow, the reviews look great.

The only downsides I can see are lack of HDMI input and (maybe) ghosting/lack of responsiveness in faster games? The former is a hassle but bearable, the latter kind of bothers me. Any U2311H owner can confirm/deny the issue?

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

Paino posted:

The only downsides I can see are lack of HDMI input and (maybe) ghosting/lack of responsiveness in faster games? The former is a hassle but bearable, the latter kind of bothers me. Any U2311H owner can confirm/deny the issue?

This has a displayport input, and I think you might be able to just get an hdmi adapter for it, same signal right?

I've not yet seen ghosting on this monitor and I play the kinds of games where people care about ghosting! In fact, i'm about to play right now!!~

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Paino posted:

I'm not exactly what you would call a competitive gamer, so I can't conclude for sure whether the responsiveness is worse. I haven't noticed anything though, and anyone I've seen who does complain about it in actual games seems to be that extremely competitive type (i.e. Counterstrike all day long).

What I can tell you is what I said in the old monitor thread about 3 months ago when I bought this: I could immediately tell that the color reproduction and contrast was much, much better than the TN panel I was previously using, and I can only notice the ghosting if I concentrate so hard on trying to notice it that I'm no longer actually playing the game.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I want to buy a cheap 1920x1200 monitor, but the cheapest one on ebuyer (I'm in the UK) is around £200 as opposed to £100 for a 1920x1080. Should 120 pixels really cost me £100, or is there a cheaper option available for 1920x1200?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

This has a displayport input, and I think you might be able to just get an hdmi adapter for it, same signal right?
Actually, no, you can't. Well you can, but it's like a $100 adapter or something silly. You can (usually) go from a DP source (video-card) to an HDMI/DVI display with a $5 adapter, but you can't go from a HDMI/DVI source to a DP display cheaply.

The U2311H does have a DVI port in addition to the DP input, though, so you can easily connect a single HDMI/DVI source.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I want to buy a cheap 1920x1200 monitor, but the cheapest one on ebuyer (I'm in the UK) is around £200 as opposed to £100 for a 1920x1080. Should 120 pixels really cost me £100, or is there a cheaper option available for 1920x1200?

The 10% height difference is noticeable to me. 16:9 does look unnaturally wide, but only because I've been using 16:10 for years.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The Dell ebay store now has the 22" Dell Ultra Sharp for $199.99, so the $199.99 U2311Hs were almost certainly a pricing error. Congrats to everyone who caught one in time, as it probably will never be that price again.

200 for its little brother isn't a bad deal, though.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Paino posted:

Input lag and response time has got to be one of the great myths of lcd displays because the magnitude of the problem is grossly overstated. If you can tell the difference between 10 milliseconds and 2 milliseconds average response time then you ain't human.

I regularly play keyboard and guitar to a metronome with a 1024 sample DMA buffer at 44.1khz which translates roughly into a lag time of 11 milliseconds between playing the note and hearing the sound. It is absolutely not a problem and I only start to notice that something is off once you go somewhere over 25 milliseconds and even then you can hardly call it a problem. Its when you get into the order of hundreds of milliseconds that it becomes difficult to play bang on a metronome.

In display terms if you think about constant 60fps locked to the display's 60hz refresh rate as the target for gaming then 1 frame is about 17 milliseconds. You won't notice variance of that magnitude. I own a U2311H and I don't notice any appreciable lag nor do I notice any appreciable level of ghosting. Unfortunately, the reason why I suck at fps games is because I have terrible aim and spacial awareness.

Shumagorath posted:

The 10% height difference is noticeable to me. 16:9 does look unnaturally wide, but only because I've been using 16:10 for years.

You probably will notice it at first but you adjust quickly if you have to. I was sporting a 4:3 lcd before I picked up a U2311H and it look me a few hours to adjust to the lack of vertical height. Now I'm used to 16:9, even 16:10 seems a bit tall but all it would take is a short period to adjust and I'd be right at home.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 10, 2011

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

WanderingKid posted:

If you can tell the difference between 10 milliseconds and 2 milliseconds average response time then you ain't human.

This is also irrelevant, because the pixel response time and input are two different, independent things. 10ms vs. 2 milliseconds is not detectable, but some monitors (and many TVs) have as much as 50-100ms input lag.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah but he was talking about U2311H which isn't one of those 100ms monsters.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I ordered my U2311H from that eBay deal on 1/07 and got it today. Oddly enough on the status tracking it says in production with estimated delivery of 1/17, what the hell.

Anyways, holy poo poo it's awesome. The colors are much better than my laptop LCD and way better than my old VGA 19".

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fuseshock posted:

I ordered my U2311H from that eBay deal on 1/07 and got it today. Oddly enough on the status tracking it says in production with estimated delivery of 1/17, what the hell.
Dell's tracking system works in a reverse time-warp, and has little relation to our man-time. Glad to hear you like your new monitor, though!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Anyone know where to get cheap DP to HDMI cables? Looks like the cheapest in Mono Price even with shipping.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Anyone know where to get cheap DP to HDMI cables? Looks like the cheapest in Mono Price even with shipping.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024607&p_id=6011&seq=1&format=2
Keep in mind this is DP -> HDMI and will not work for HDMI -> DP. As in, you need the DP output on your video card and the HDMI input on your monitor, not the other way around.

Monoprice.com pretty much is the answer to the "where do I get cables?" question, though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024607&p_id=6011&seq=1&format=2
Keep in mind this is DP -> HDMI and will not work for HDMI -> DP. As in, you need the DP output on your video card and the HDMI input on your monitor, not the other way around.

Monoprice.com pretty much is the answer to the "where do I get cables?" question, though.

Okay I'm actually looking for an HDMI->DP cable as I have a ATI 4850 and I'm expecting a U2311H.

Another quick question, since I have a 4850 which doesn't have EyeFinity what happens if I stick HDMI into my 46" TV, a VGA cable into my 2001FP and then a DVI cable into the U2311H? Will it refuse to work at all or will it decide on which 2 inputs to use?

Edit: Okay I'm a bit confused... if they're both male connectors why wouldn't it work with an HDMI connector on the video card and a DP connector on the monitor?

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 11, 2011

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

fuseshock posted:

Anyways, holy poo poo it's awesome. The colors are much better than my laptop LCD and way better than my old VGA 19".

did you get a shipping confirmation or anything? Wondering when mine is gonna get here

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Okay I'm actually looking for an HDMI->DP cable as I have a ATI 4850 and I'm expecting a U2311H.
There are HDMI -> DP adapters, but they're like $100 or so. The reason is this: DP and HDMI/DVI are not signal-compatible the way HDMI and DVI are. That is, the actual video signal in an HDMI and DVI connection are the same, the major differences are the physical shape of the connectors and that HDMI has some audio lines running with it, too, so it's easy to convert between the two, since nothing needs to be done to the signal--just gotta line up the right pins and you're good. DP is a whole different beast, and isn't signal-compatible at all. You can (usually) go DP -> HDMI/DVI easily because the video-card itself will detect what you're trying to do and do the signal conversion for you. But HDMI/DVI outputs are physically incapable of doing the conversion required to produce a DP signal, so you'd need an external box to do that, which turns out to be pretty pricey.

EyeFinity works by leveraging the DP output(s) to allow for more than two monitors at once. Minus a DP output, you will be limited to the usual two concurrent displays. If you did manage to get three displays connected, only two would function.

What all are you trying to connect up to the U2311H, anyhow? I suspect that the proper solution for you is either going to simply be manually swapping cables, or buying a cheap HDMI switch like this $16 one.

Warkak
Dec 21, 2010

Cheesefoot-
Don't kink shame
I'm currently looking for a good affordable monitor that is mainly going to be used for gaming, looking at the OP, is a 120Hz refresh rate an enthusiast thing or is it really noticeable? Currently I'm using a 17in. Gateway and want a great upgrade but don't want to go much higher than $200.

This is what I'm currently considering:

http://www.amazon.com/ML238H-23-Inch-Ultra-Slim-Monitor-Black/dp/B003XU73KY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294727336&sr=1-1

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DrDork posted:

There are HDMI -> DP adapters, but they're like $100 or so. The reason is this: DP and HDMI/DVI are not signal-compatible the way HDMI and DVI are. That is, the actual video signal in an HDMI and DVI connection are the same, the major differences are the physical shape of the connectors and that HDMI has some audio lines running with it, too, so it's easy to convert between the two, since nothing needs to be done to the signal--just gotta line up the right pins and you're good. DP is a whole different beast, and isn't signal-compatible at all. You can (usually) go DP -> HDMI/DVI easily because the video-card itself will detect what you're trying to do and do the signal conversion for you. But HDMI/DVI outputs are physically incapable of doing the conversion required to produce a DP signal, so you'd need an external box to do that, which turns out to be pretty pricey.

EyeFinity works by leveraging the DP output(s) to allow for more than two monitors at once. Minus a DP output, you will be limited to the usual two concurrent displays. If you did manage to get three displays connected, only two would function.

What all are you trying to connect up to the U2311H, anyhow? I suspect that the proper solution for you is either going to simply be manually swapping cables, or buying a cheap HDMI switch like this $16 one.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm essentially connecting a U2311H to a ATI Radeon 4850. The U2311H apparently has a DP instead of an HDMI port so I may have to end up connecting it through DVI and connect my old 2001FP to VGA. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Warkak posted:

I'm currently looking for a good affordable monitor that is mainly going to be used for gaming, looking at the OP, is a 120Hz refresh rate an enthusiast thing or is it really noticeable?
It's an enthusiast thing right now. Sure it's nice, but it's by no means a requirement for a gaming monitor, and you're not gonna find one under $200 anyhow.

Strong Sauce posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I'm essentially connecting a U2311H to a ATI Radeon 4850. The U2311H apparently has a DP instead of an HDMI port so I may have to end up connecting it through DVI and connect my old 2001FP to VGA. :(
Am I correct in assuming that your particular 4850 has one DVI and one VGA port? If so, then yeah, run DVI to the U2311H and VGA to the 2001FP. If you've got a free PCIe 16x slot you can toss in a $20 card to enable more monitors. If you only have free PCI slots, a $35 card also is available. Mind you won't be able to game on them, but they'd be fine for displaying a desktop or FireFox or whatever.