Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think any microfiber is capable of damaging a matte finish on a monitor, or any finish for that matter. The type of cloth isn't the real concern here, it's the cleaning agent you use.

I've had two monitors that have shipped with some variety of this style of microfiber included, and one was matte and the other was glossy. Spray the cloth itself with distilled water mixed with a tiny amount of liquid dish soap, and it should be capable of cleaning most screens with no damage to your coating. Though I'll admit that "should" is doing a lot of work since, as you say, I'm not aware of anyone who has done a super deep dive on this.

What you definitely should not use is alcohol, window cleaners, or any kind of harsh detergent. I've seen some people recommend only distilled water, but that may struggle to get rid of particularly greasy splotches. a couple drops of mild dish soap mixed into a bottle of water is pretty harmless though and can make the cleaning a lot easier/less streaky.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I've been using this for everything and it hasn't damaged any laptops or curved ultra wides with a thin-feeling screen. It came with a kit I used to repair my wife's iMac but they sell them separately.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MCROFBR12B/

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I just use a microfiber cloth and (Norwegian) tap water. It's fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’ve been using the Whoosh cleaner and cloth on every screen I own for years without issue. Also sunglasses.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/gigabyte-aorus-fo32u2p

Seems pretty good, though the HDR options are a bit of a mess. For those getting one of these Gigabyte monitors, the default HDR mode is the one to stick to, and you can set the "APL Stabilize" mode to "high" if you want a mode akin to the Peak 1000 mode in other QD-OLED monitors, or you can keep that setting in the "middle" mode for something like the True Black 400 mode in other monitors (which will have less bright highlights but may appear brighter in some high-APL content). Switching to the "HDR Game" mode will brighten the entire image.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 29, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ah cool, I'll look at the 3800R ones then.
I ended up pickup a Dell P3424WEB, and I really like it. It's a great side-by-side productivity monitor. The curvature is barely noticeable. Expensive though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The LG 27GR95QE (last year's 27" 1440p 240hz OLED model) has been discounted down to $599 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LG-UltragearTM-Monitor-nVIDIA%C2%AE-Compatible/dp/B0BRBW8KRK

There have been a couple other OLEDs discounted down that low, but that was from KTC (some no-name brand) and Acer's problematic model. LG released a revised model earlier this year that's a little brighter for full white screens, but this is still a good price for a solid monitor.

edit: here's rtings' comparison showing the difference between these two models. The new model is 30% brighter in SDR and up to twice as bright in high-APL scenes in HDR (scenes that are supposed to be very bright across the whole screen), but last year's model is still pretty good, and this is the lowest price I've seen it at.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 30, 2024

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Finally unboxed and setup the FO32U2P.

Nothing to really complain about except the included DP cable is comically short.

Played a few games, it's pretty glorious.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The LG 27GR95QE (last year's 27" 1440p 240hz OLED model) has been discounted down to $599 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/LG-UltragearTM-Monitor-nVIDIA%C2%AE-Compatible/dp/B0BRBW8KRK

There have been a couple other OLEDs discounted down that low, but that was from KTC (some no-name brand) and Acer's problematic model. LG released a revised model earlier this year that's a little brighter for full white screens, but this is still a good price for a solid monitor.

edit: here's rtings' comparison showing the difference between these two models. The new model is 30% brighter in SDR and up to twice as bright in high-APL scenes in HDR (scenes that are supposed to be very bright across the whole screen), but last year's model is still pretty good, and this is the lowest price I've seen it at.

I bought one of these ‘open box’+on sale from Amazon a month or so ago for $750CAD and it owns. It came factory sealed and had 0 usage minutes so I’m not sure how it ended up used.

If anyone is jumping on this, I’d recommend buying an LG service remote off of Amazon for :10bux: so you can turn off the vignetting which will boost the brightness a bit on top of the boost from turning off the power save modes.

Text is a bit blurry because of the WOLED layout, but it’s not the end of the world and looks mostly normal in SDR mode. I use it for gaming, media, and work with no readability issues. You can gently caress around with MacType to change font rendering but I didn’t find it worth it

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I ended up pickup a Dell P3424WEB, and I really like it. It's a great side-by-side productivity monitor. The curvature is barely noticeable. Expensive though.

Yeah it's a solid work monitor. Glad you like it. My only very slight disappointment with it was going back to 60hz but I barely play games at the desk these days.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm a sick bastard, I just bought the alienware aw3225qf only 11 months after buying an aw3423dwf.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

:same:

not sure why but the 32" is a lot more temperamental than the the 34" with HDR and brightness

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

shrike82 posted:

:same:

not sure why but the 32" is a lot more temperamental than the the 34" with HDR and brightness

really? that's not what you wanna hear

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FWIW, I haven't noticed any issues with HDR and brightness on my AW3225QF; it's rocking the M2B104 firmware, although they just released M2B105 a few days ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the newest firmware just fixes the earc port. and yes, that means the monitor's two biggest gimmicks (dolby vision and earc) did not ship in a functional state and had to be fixed via firmware updates.

this wasn't mentioned in any firmware update notes, but at some point they also fixed 1440p input, which is something rtings dinged the monitor for lacking though i don't really know the point of it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

the newest firmware just fixes the earc port. and yes, that means the monitor's two biggest gimmicks (dolby vision and earc) did not ship in a functional state and had to be fixed via firmware updates.

this wasn't mentioned in any firmware update notes, but at some point they also fixed 1440p input, which is something rtings dinged the monitor for lacking though i don't really know the point of it.

oh neat, I thought it odd that it didn't support 1440p on ps5, not that I can think of any real benefits to that.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

hoooly shitballs this aw3225qf is bananas, like the aw3423dwf already blew my old VA out of the water, and this thing blows the aw3423dwf out of the water, the resolution, so crisp, everything so crispy like pringles. just took a look at the open matte IMAX Bladerunner 2049 with Dolby Vision and yowza, I just didn't expect 4k to be this much sharper.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

runaway dog posted:

hoooly shitballs this aw3225qf is bananas, like the aw3423dwf already blew my old VA out of the water, and this thing blows the aw3423dwf out of the water, the resolution, so crisp, everything so crispy like pringles. just took a look at the open matte IMAX Bladerunner 2049 with Dolby Vision and yowza, I just didn't expect 4k to be this much sharper.

If you're going from not 4k to 4k and then watching 4k content, unless you're comparing the monitor to other 4k monitors I think you don't know if the monitor is amazing or if you just like 4k right.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

If you're going from not 4k to 4k and then watching 4k content, unless you're comparing the monitor to other 4k monitors I think you don't know if the monitor is amazing or if you just like 4k right.

I have a 4k tv, I have seen 4k I was just excited. :shepicide:

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 1, 2024

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

runaway dog posted:

Yep it's a great monitor. Still waiting on Best Buy to stock em to buy my dad one as a gift. Easier to return if he doesn't like it (I doubt it!)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's an amazing monitor, the software is complete garbage. I kept having all these issues with settings and it ends up the whole problem was having their software installed. Once I removed it all is well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Does anyone know how to use SUWSF with Game Pass games? Not sure how since you need the exe. I've never used it with Steam either so I'm a novice.

https://github.com/PhantomGamers/SUWSF
https://github.com/Lyall/UltrawidePatches

edit: nevermind, I just didn't notice that the exe was where the patch was telling me it was, running correctly in Ultrawide

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 2, 2024

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

How common is Dolby Vision in games these days? Because saving like $350 going with the MSI 321URX (if I can find it in stock anywhere) seems like a no brainer if DV is a meme.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

GruntyThrst posted:

How common is Dolby Vision in games these days? Because saving like $350 going with the MSI 321URX (if I can find it in stock anywhere) seems like a no brainer if DV is a meme.

It's in like 10 PC games total

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think it's way less than 10. There's Mass Effect Andromeda, and I'm not sure if there are any others. That might be the only one.

There are movie streaming services that support Dolby Vision (like Netflix), but if you aren't going to use those on your monitor then it's not worth it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I think it's way less than 10. There's Mass Effect Andromeda, and I'm not sure if there are any others. That might be the only one.

There are movie streaming services that support Dolby Vision (like Netflix), but if you aren't going to use those on your monitor then it's not worth it.

I actually did look this up when I was reviewing the AW3225QF and the list is like 3 dozen total (Dolby maintains a list on its website but I can't find it right now)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

change my name posted:

I actually did look this up when I was reviewing the AW3225QF and the list is like 3 dozen total (Dolby maintains a list on its website but I can't find it right now)

Almost all of those games only support dolby vision on xbox. Dolby Vision support in games on PC is virtually nonexistent.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Cool, now I just have to camp out at micro center to find one. It’s like buying a 4090 all over again

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah i kinda wish they hadn't bothered with dolby vision for the 32" - it's useless and i've disabled it

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i got a samsung odyssey g70b because i wanted something i could have my switch hooked up to and alternate between my pc and the console. except now one monitor has dead pixels and the other has lines flickering at the bottom now for no reason. i've tried to troubleshoot and fix it on my own, but no dice. at least amazon let me return them because this happened literally after the 30 day return period ended lol.

does anyone have any suggestions for a 32" 4k flat screen monitor that I can use for both my PC and switch? i do basically everything on it - browse web, watch movies, play games, do work, and edit images/video as a hobby.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Splash Attack posted:

i got a samsung odyssey g70b because i wanted something i could have my switch hooked up to and alternate between my pc and the console. except now one monitor has dead pixels and the other has lines flickering at the bottom now for no reason. i've tried to troubleshoot and fix it on my own, but no dice. at least amazon let me return them because this happened literally after the 30 day return period ended lol.

does anyone have any suggestions for a 32" 4k flat screen monitor that I can use for both my PC and switch? i do basically everything on it - browse web, watch movies, play games, do work, and edit images/video as a hobby.

Look at the LG 32GR93U-B (rtings review). Seems like a pretty solid IPS panel that's reasonably calibrated and performs well. The upgrade options would be the Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 for its local dimming (though it's curved and expect more quality control issues from Samsung) and then above that, the new QD-OLEDs. Otherwise the LG 32GR93U is about on par with or slightly better than the Gigabyte M32U, another popular goon option, but the LG monitor is a bit cheaper these days.

The Dell G3223Q (rtings review) is another solid choice with better out-of-the-box calibration, though it has slightly worse response times (leading to slightly blurrier motion) and somewhat worse input lag at 60hz (which is what the Switch will be at). I think these differences are all splitting hairs for the most part.

There's also the MSI MAG 323UPF as the "budget" option at $500. It doesn't have a review at rtings, but TFT Central reviewed it, and found it has poor out of the box accuracy for SDR content (all switch games and almost all web content) and doesn't have any way to correct this monitor-side, so it's pretty difficult to recommend.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

As a note, I don't think Dolby Vision will work on the Windows App, if the user wants to watch Netflix on their PC. I have a 2.1 HDMI cable, hdr enabled and Dolby Vision notification on the TV won't appear when running DV content on Netflix.

Not that it matters because I have a TV that's rear end for HDR content.

Edit: apparently *some* apps support it. https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/1agngaa/guide_to_using_dolby_vision_in_windows_11_for/ The entire Windows to HDR to Dolby Vision chain is such a god drat mess though, just getting basic HDR working was a pain not so long ago, adding Dolby vision to the chain makes my head hurt.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 3, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My understanding is that it actually works with the Edge browser, but I don't have Netflix to test this with.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What is the best connection to use with these new 32" OLED 240hz 4k monitors? I gotta order a 10ft cable for my standing desk.

DP 1.4a or HDMI 2.1?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Housh posted:

What is the best connection to use with these new 32" OLED 240hz 4k monitors? I gotta order a 10ft cable for my standing desk.

DP 1.4a or HDMI 2.1?

I’d say display port first. HDMI 2.1 support still seems like a bit of an afterthought in the PC space.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HDMI 2.1 is problematic on linux but i don't know why you wouldn't use it on windows if you have a monitor which exceeds DP1.4s bandwidth in uncompressed mode

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

HDMI 2.1 is problematic on linux but i don't know why you wouldn't use it on windows if you have a monitor which exceeds DP1.4s bandwidth in uncompressed mode
HDMI 2.1 still exceeds that limit and has to also use compression from what I understand. Not sure if it is able to change compression rates though, but I doubt you would be able to see the difference. I use my only HDMI 2.1 port for my TV though so I can't use it anyway.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 3, 2024

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Housh posted:

DP 1.4a or HDMI 2.1?

I swapped out an LG 42 C2 for the Asus PG32UCDM and I kept the HDMI 2.1 cable in place and have had no issues.

Alt-tabbing with full screens games is annoyingly slow but I don't think that's a connection issue.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rusty posted:

HDMI 2.1 still exceeds that limit and has to also use compression from what I understand. Not sure if it is able to change compression rates though, but I doubt you would be able to see the difference. I use my only HDMI 2.1 port for my TV though so I can't use it anyway.

oh yeah, at 4K240 you'll be relying on compression no matter what unless you're in the very narrow range of setups that can use DP2.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How does HDMI 2.1 fare with a multi monitor setup?

Right now I have 2x 1440p 165hz plugged into 4090 through DP 1.4a.

I'm adding the PG32UCDM as my primary monitor but want to continue to use the other two. My gaming target is 4k120 with 10bit HDR.

Unless there is a huge difference....might stick with DP 1.4a.

Housh fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 3, 2024