Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

General_Failure posted:

That's what I thought. Thanks for that. Looks like all I need to do is find a male 7 pin to utilize for my purposes.

No, all you need is a regular old male S-video cable, the kind with four pins. The connector on the 8800GTX is designed to accept it directly; if nothing's plugged into the extra three pins, then it outputs Y and C rather than Y, Pb, and Pr. You won't find an adapter, because there's no need for one to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

No, all you need is a regular old male S-video cable, the kind with four pins. The connector on the 8800GTX is designed to accept it directly; if nothing's plugged into the extra three pins, then it outputs Y and C rather than Y, Pb, and Pr. You won't find an adapter, because there's no need for one to exist.

That's amazing. I never knew that. When the plug pins != socket pin holes I generally don't consider trying them. Thanks for that amazingly useful tip. Well, I have a male SVideo and a couple of female RCAs so I know what I'm doing when I get a chance!

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I'm looking to get a 23” Samsung S23B300H to go with a new machine, except I can't seem to find any reviews, except for a thread about monitors where the OP states that he's unable to find any reviews :eng99:. Does anyone know what they're like?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Newegg has the Dell U2412M for $309.99 with free shipping and a 1-year extended warranty. I bit the bullet and bought a pair. Does anyone know how the warranty works? Does it start after the Dell 3-year warranty ends?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

quadratic posted:

Newegg has the Dell U2412M for $309.99 with free shipping and a 1-year extended warranty. I bit the bullet and bought a pair. Does anyone know how the warranty works? Does it start after the Dell 3-year warranty ends?
Newegg's extended plan is supposed to start after the Dell 3-year ends, yeah. I don't actually know anyone who's had to try calling it in, though.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys, a quick question, at the moment I have a 24inch Viewsonic (some model arather...) which has a 2ms response time, would I realistically see any difference from another monitor that had say a 7-8ms response time, say in this example a Yamasaki monitor (I assume each monitor differs)?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Probably not, unless you were some crazy competitive FPS-gaming super-enthusiast.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I'm going to pull the trigger on a Korean monitor soon.

This one looks very attractive:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...=item20c5cc7231

Is there any reason I would want the Catleap model more? It seems to be a $50 difference.

Also, I noticed that eBay is offering a 3-year Square Trade warranty on it for $50, which seems reasonable giving the shipping concerns. How does warranty fulfillment work with Square Trade, also is there any way I can coupon code that ST warranty?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I'm looking to get a LCD to use mostly for gaming. I would like a screen around 27 inches, and would like its native resolution to be 1920x1080 instead of a 16:10 resolution. I also like very fast response time and little input lag. Is the ASUS VG278H a solid buy? I see there is a recommendation for the VG236H in the OP, are they the same monitors but just a different screen size? Or is there something important I am missing?

Thanks!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone bought one of these Korean displays with HDMI ports on them? It would primarily be for the desktop computer but I do toss a console on my current 24" on occasion and I wonder if it'd be total crap on the ultra high res Korean monitors.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone bought one of these Korean displays with HDMI ports on them? It would primarily be for the desktop computer but I do toss a console on my current 24" on occasion and I wonder if it'd be total crap on the ultra high res Korean monitors.

Does it have a scaler? I thought the reason they were so cheap was the lack of scaler. The native res is too high for consoles, so it won't even show if there's no scaler.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Hard to tell. It doesn't say scaler but it also talks about hooking up an xbox or ps3. I figured the ones with HDMI had a scaler.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

low-key-taco posted:

If you're going to spend $450 on a monitor, might as well get an Auria from Microcenter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

low-key-taco posted:

That's the monitor I've got, and it has the scaler/OSD board. Looks great in the limited testing I did with a PS3 on the HDMI port.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks! Big difference with Microcenter is that I'd pay tax here in CA on it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So what's a PLS panel? Apparently this new Samsung monitor has one.

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
PLS is just Samsung's version of IPS. You can literally get four Korean IPS monitors for the price of that Samsung.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Which of the Korean IPS 27"s offered a flavor with MDP?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

So what's a PLS panel? Apparently this new Samsung monitor has one.
If you want to do that, do it right and get a Dell U3011.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Steakandchips posted:

If you want to do that, do it right and get a Dell U3011.

I don't. I was just asking.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Josh Lyman posted:

If you're going to spend $450 on a monitor, might as well get an Auria from Microcenter.

drat, what's the catch on this thing? Is it purely the fact that it's a no-name brand, or is there some other issue?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Cream_Filling posted:

drat, what's the catch on this thing? Is it purely the fact that it's a no-name brand, or is there some other issue?

Yer taking away American jerbs! :argh:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Is the Auria 27" the only one that has a Displayport?

I have an older Macbook. I'm wondering if the Nvidia 9400M in it will be sufficient to drive said display? I don't do any 3d or gaming so I'm imagining I won't have a problem? The only issue I see is needing an expensive dual link DVI adapter.

I'm considering splurging on one of these or buying something cheaper (in the 22-24" range) since this is for general web browsing/office type stuff. My issue with cheaper monitors is that they seem to all be 1920x1080 and not 1920x1200.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Should be able to get a Dell U2410M for between $300 and 350 - it's 16:10 and I'm very happy with mine.

Lord Grundle
Sep 5, 2011
Can anyone recommend me a 24" 1080p monitor with decent built in speakers?

I understand the quality of built in speakers won't be the best but I usually wear headphones anyway and I would like speakers without taking up more space on my desk. I mainly use my computer for internet browsing and gaming so I suppose a TN panel would be fine. I'd say my maximum price would be $400 but I would prefer less than that if possible.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lord Grundle posted:

Can anyone recommend me a 24" 1080p monitor with decent built in speakers?

I understand the quality of built in speakers won't be the best but I usually wear headphones anyway and I would like speakers without taking up more space on my desk. I mainly use my computer for internet browsing and gaming so I suppose a TN panel would be fine. I'd say my maximum price would be $400 but I would prefer less than that if possible.
$400 is enough for an Auria at Microcenter or Korean monitor which are 2560x1440 with built in speakers. However, if you just want a normal 24" 1080p LCD, there are a bunch around $200: Newegg link

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Get a Dell U2412M (or U2312HM if you want to go cheaper) and stick a speaker bar on it.

I Googled it, it fits.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Yeah, the soundbar is good bit of kit - I have a REALLY old one, but the mounting and power connector stays the same, so it fits to my U2410 fine. The sound quality of mine is perfectly passable, and easily a step up from those wafer thing pieces of junk you'd find in basically all monitors.

You can find them cheap on ebay all day long, too.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jun 20, 2012

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Just wanted to add I just got one of the Korean monitors for someone at work.

I ordered a Potalion branded model from BigCraftCloth on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-Inch-New-Potalion-2710QW-2560x1440-WQHD-Quad-HD-Monitor-/140757463591?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c5cc7227

I can confirm they definitely test them as they say in the auction. The box had obviously been opened and the plastic wrap around the monitor had been taped back.

Ordered on the 14th, they shipped on the 18th, it arrived late afternoon on the 20th. They sent a message after ordering to let me know it would take 1-2 days for testing.

No dead or stuck pixels that I can see, and no backlight bleed at all. Absolutely beautiful panel!

I am thinking about getting one myself to replace my old FW900 CRT at home!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm tempted to pay the extra $80 for one with a scaler and a return policy.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

stevewm posted:

I ordered a Potalion branded model from BigCraftCloth on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-Inch-New-Potalion-2710QW-2560x1440-WQHD-Quad-HD-Monitor-/140757463591?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c5cc7227

I can confirm they definitely test them as they say in the auction. The box had obviously been opened and the plastic wrap around the monitor had been taped back.

Ordered on the 14th, they shipped on the 18th, it arrived late afternoon on the 20th. They sent a message after ordering to let me know it would take 1-2 days for testing.

No dead or stuck pixels that I can see, and no backlight bleed at all. Absolutely beautiful panel!

How high is the bottom of the screen from the desk?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

How high is the bottom of the screen from the desk?

2 3/4" or 7cm for the metric folk...

The stand I would rate as OK... It tilts back and swivels. It doesn't lean to the right like the some of the other Korean monitors do.

The monitor does have 100mm VESA mounting holes on the back. And the existing stand can be fully removed without taking the monitor apart. A small plastic cover hides the screws that hold it on, pop it off and you can get to them.

This thread over at OCN has some pictures if you scroll down a bit: http://www.overclock.net/t/1270861/potalion-2710qw-monitor-club

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

stevewm posted:

My Potalion perfect pixel arrived today, also with no issues at all. I'm just having a tough time getting it to work in linux (Ubuntu 12.04), but it's working perfectly in Windows.

Edit: OK, now trying to remove the stand, and I can't work out how to do it right now. Has anyone else with this monitor worked it out?

wooger fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 21, 2012

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

I'm tempted to pay the extra $80 for one with a scaler and a return policy.

It seems to be sold out in a lot of locations. I don't have any near me, but I could make the trip to Boston, or perhaps ask my mom to grab one in Philly before the next time she visits or even in NJ or Yonkers on her way up. However, all four stores are sold out, and I'd have to guess there isn't a steady stream of them. So good luck. I think I'm going to break down and buy the Pixel Perfect Potalion, I just ordered a GTX 670 and I'll need to put it to use.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah I'm leaning towards a 24" 16:10. Seeing the two side by side, the difference in usable screen area isn't that large. The super high resolution is good but not critical for me, and even seems like it might get annoying to use on Windows due to the text being tiny.

It seems like some internet reviews also complain that the construction is kind of iffy on these, with people mentioning some light bleed issues from warped frames.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
Well, I took a gamble on a non-pixel-perfect Potalion. I figure it's a pretty expensive upgrade, I probably won't notice that there are dead pixels if there even are any, and if I ordered perfect and got one with dead pixels I'd be SOL anyway since I'd be on the hook for shipping it back to Korea, so the guarantee isn't really worth much anyway.
Now the waiting game.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
So on this Catleap, does the "Complete compliance with scalability to multimedia!" bit imply the presence of a hardware scaler? If so this might be my dream monitor, 'Air Hore' and everything.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Any of the Korean monitors with more than DVI-D input have a scaler and OSD.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

redstormpopcorn posted:

So on this Catleap, does the "Complete compliance with scalability to multimedia!" bit imply the presence of a hardware scaler? If so this might be my dream monitor, 'Air Hore' and everything.

Dunno, at that point you're only like $150 off from a name-brand HP or Dell that will come with a warranty, display port, possibly better OSD, etc.

Of course, $150 is a lot of money, so I suppose this is kind of a dumb argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Cream_Filling posted:

Dunno, at that point you're only like $150 off from a name-brand HP or Dell that will come with a warranty, display port, possibly better OSD, etc.

Of course, $150 is a lot of money, so I suppose this is kind of a dumb argument.

It is $500 dollars more for the Dell, and the HP has poo poo QC and bad customer support, just like the Korean one.