Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It seems to me LCD monitors are really going down the "wrong" path, in terms of almost every new monitor being 16:9 and 1920x1080. I don't want my PC monitor to be an HDTV. And at the same time, many or most of these monitors are still stuck at a pokey 60 hz refresh. If you play games with vsync on, this often means the framerate is going to drop to 30 fps, which is less than ideal.

I much prefer 16:10, and at sizes 22" and less, 1680x1050 is more than enough resolution for me (and more importantly, my video card would choke in games at anything higher). But most 16:10/1680x1050 monitors have vanished, or cost more than the 1920x1080 models.

If anyone knows where I can buy an inexpensive 22", 1680x1050 monitor, with at least 75 hz refresh and overall good image quality, and no discernible input lag, please post it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Also, why do you play with vsync on? If you can't also set triple buffering, you're almost always better off with vsync off.

The image tearing with vsync off is like acid to my eyes, especially with flight sims, but to some extent on all games.

As to refresh rate, my cheap 19" Acer AL1916 (5:4 ratio) supports 75 hz, or at least Windows thinks it does, and older games show 75 FPS framerate via FRAPS etc. Black level sucks on this thing though, and it has some motion blur and (I suspect) worse than average input lag.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Anyone have experience with the "V7" brand LCD monitors? I found a 22" 16:10, 1680x1050 unit that seems to have good reviews on Amazon and other shopping sites. It's certainly an older model, but for what I need, I think this would work better than a 16:9 unit with higher resolution. On the one hand it feels silly to be paying as much or more for an "out of date" model, but I don't feel like I need the higher resolution of the current 16:9 monitors, especially at the 22" size range.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I've been looking, and it's pretty hard to find "new" 1680x1050 monitors. Some places still have some inventory of older models that are 2+ years old, but I suspect hardly any new models of that resolution are currently produced.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

WanderingKid posted:

I still don't get the input lag thing. I routinely play all of my instruments to a *metronome* with 11ms input latency (ASIO buffer = 512 samples) and its never a problem. Over 30ms and I start to notice the "lag" sure.

In fast-paced shooter games, you are often facing enemy players with freakishly fast responses. These are dudes who can somehow see and headshot you across the map, two video frames after you appear on their screen. Any kind of lag in your system is just going to increase their advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Generally, this thread talks about the midrange & higher end monitors, rather than the mass market TN panels. But since the 16:10 format is getting hard to find, I thought I'd post this Newegg deal for an Asus 22", 16:10 "2 ms" TN panel for $129 using the promo code, and $109 after mail-in rebate. I ordered one a little while ago. Free shipping too.

User reviews on this model are generally decent, the most common complaints are limited viewing angle range, some backlight bleed. And some complaints that it does not display text very well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-24236050-L014A

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 6, 2011