Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but I've been having problems with my new(ish) monitor. It's a Dell U3014. Occasionally, the screen would suddenly go black and not display anything at all. The backlight would stay on, but everything behaved like the monitor was functioning fine, including the monitor buttons. I would usually be able to fix it by unplugging the monitor's power, waiting several seconds, and then plugging it back in. I noticed it would often start doing this when putting the PC into sleep mode.

Well, something happened overnight, and now it's stuck in this black screen state. Plugging/unplugging does nothing, none of the inputs work, and the screen never shows the "No input detected - power off in 5 minutes" blue box. Same issues as before, but now I can't revert it.

I did some searching around and downloaded a tool called SoftMCCS which does monitor diagnostics. I don't see anything unusual that really stands out to me. The monitor diagnostics all seem to come back normal.

Has anyone had a similar issue with any Dell monitors? I really don't want to have to get rid of this thing. I've tasted 2560x1600 and I'm hooked. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

the monitor probably has a 'deep sleep' option that = enabled

turn it so it = disabled

source: my dell monitor

Geez, that's a thing? I'll have to look at the options again when I get home. Hopefully I can find something in SoftMCCS.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask, but I've been having problems with my new(ish) monitor. It's a Dell U3014. Occasionally, the screen would suddenly go black and not display anything at all. The backlight would stay on, but everything behaved like the monitor was functioning fine, including the monitor buttons. I would usually be able to fix it by unplugging the monitor's power, waiting several seconds, and then plugging it back in. I noticed it would often start doing this when putting the PC into sleep mode.

Well, something happened overnight, and now it's stuck in this black screen state. Plugging/unplugging does nothing, none of the inputs work, and the screen never shows the "No input detected - power off in 5 minutes" blue box. Same issues as before, but now I can't revert it.

I did some searching around and downloaded a tool called SoftMCCS which does monitor diagnostics. I don't see anything unusual that really stands out to me. The monitor diagnostics all seem to come back normal.

Has anyone had a similar issue with any Dell monitors? I really don't want to have to get rid of this thing. I've tasted 2560x1600 and I'm hooked. :(

Quoting myself from last week because I fixed the problem! :toot:

Someone on reddit suggested replacing the T-con board. I ordered a replacement off eBay and swapped out the board this morning, and it's working perfectly! No more black screen!

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My freshly-fixed monitor started acting up again this morning, getting little horizontal white lines flickering on the display intermittently. On a whim I decided to switch out the input from HDMI to DisplayPort, and haven't had any problems since. Hopefully it continues behaving.

I'm wondering if the HDMI cable had something to do with it, or maybe the port itself. :shrug:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Probably the cable, but the only way to find out is to get a replacement and give it a try. Video cables are incredibly fragile, there are a lot of fine wires and they push a lot of bandwidth, though. It's not surprising at all.

I have thicker HDMI cables I can test with if I really need. Thankfully the DP cable is doing its job just fine.

I think I got the cheapo HDMI cables from Monoprice when I was in need of some cable management. They're likely just showing their age at this point.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I thought I asked for monitor arm recommendations in this thread, but maybe it was a different thread. Oh well.

I was browsing Amazon for desk arms and a lot of the ones I see are for screens up to 27" and 15 lbs or so. My screen is 30" (VESA 100x100) and weighs 24 lbs. Can anyone recommend a decent arm for my fatass screen?

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 3, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Funny enough, Slickdeals has a monitor arm on the frontpage right now:

https://slickdeals.net/f/11437863-north-bayou-full-motion-monitor-mount-w-gas-spring-17-27-displays-21-90

I think what I'll do is order one and try it with my big monitor for Science! :science: If it can't support it, I'll use it with my smaller secondary monitor.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

The 20 dollar monitor arm is totally going to be a quality buy.

I wanted a cheap arm that works with my smaller/lighter monitor anyway. I doubt it'll hold up my main monitor, but no harm in trying.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Quoting myself because this arrived and I tried it out. Believe it or not, it's actually holding up my U3014. I had to max out the tension to do so, but it works, and I don't see any noticeable sagging after an hour. We'll see how it holds up in the long-term.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm planning a new PC build pretty soon and I'm excited! In the meantime I'm also keeping an eye out for good 3440 x 1440 displays.

Any thoughts on this one? My local Costco has some in stock for $300 and that sounds like a pretty fantastic price for a decent WQHD curved monitor. (The website incorrectly calls it UWQHD.)

https://www.costco.com/acer-nitro-34%22-class-uwqhd-curved-gaming-monitor-.product.4000157379.html

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

I can’t really compare that one to this, but RTings.com rates the Dell S3422DWG as the best midrange ultrawide 1440 monitor they have tested, and Amazon has it for $330

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3422dwg

Cool. I'll add that to the wishlist and see how things shake out for my budget. If I have cash to burn later, I might get it. Thanks!

Internet Explorer posted:

Yuuuup. If you've used OLED it's very hard to go back.

I love how almost all phones now have OLED screens. Having the blacks actually be black and not just a backlit mass of dark gray is just amazing.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My new PC build is working out and my budget is okay, so I'm pulling the trigger on the Dell S3422DWG per the thread recommendation. Arrives tomorrow! :getin:

I think what really locked it in for me was testing out the 144Hz capabilities of my newer monitor after removing the older secondary which was bottlenecking the refresh rate. Played around with 144Hz for a few minutes and could immediately tell the difference. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Saukkis posted:

I don't think the secondary should have been bottlenecking your main monitor, it should have been running at 144Hz.

Oh? That's interesting. I wonder if it's just the games I was playing that weren't using the right framerate due to my monitor setup.

Well, I needed the new monitor anyway, so it's all good. I'll be set for a long time with this.