Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

This is kind of an odd application, but I am looking for a matte monitor, with a really good viewing angle (so I'm assuming IPS) that I can use as a digital picture frame. Something similar to what these guys are doing: https://www.electricobjects.com/ but as a DIY project.

I was thinking a 24" monitor would be reasonable, preferably some resolution a decent ways beyond 1920x1080, since most images I'll want to display are something like 4608 x 3456. I'll be driving it with a raspberry pi or something similar since I figure it doesn't take much horsepower if I'm just displaying a static image.

The OP seems crazy out of date, are there any modern recommendations that sound like they're along those lines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Not *super* sensitive to price, I'm really not sure what my options are and it's hard to figure out what's really matte.

Is there a good way to tell what something like this would actually look like? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6BM3WM6329&cm_re=monitor-_-24-260-274-_-Product

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 8, 2016

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Hm. In light of the actual use, I'd be looking for 4:3 monitors, something like the Dell 2007FP, 1600×1200. The actual area displaying a 4:3 image is almost as much as that 25" 16:9 monitor first linked, but without enormous black bars.

You're right, I don't know why I didn't think of 4:3. I even have an old Dell monitor like the one you linked that I use on a desktop system.

I made a really quick search and it looks like higher resolution 4:3 monitors either don't exist or are super uncommon. Not sure when that happened, but it's interesting.

Thank you all very much.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

That format has fallen off the wayside for everything but commercial use. On the plus side, those monitors are cheap as hell :)

Although I think the smallest 4k monitor you can find with the lowest light setting would look pretty rad, I wonder at what point you are fooled into thinking its not even a monitor

I have a friend who has the electronic objects monitor I linked to above, and it does a surprisingly good job even at 1920x1080. Viewing angle is spectacular, it's quite matte, and under ambient light it looks pretty close to a painting. The only reason I'm not going that route is you're locked into their (truly awful) software. Plus I'm a bit of a DIYer.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I'm looking for 4k monitors and have a dual use case:
1. I do photo editing, which is why I want to go 4k at all.
2. I'd like to do some gaming with the same setup. However: my computer does just fine at 1080p, but I don't think it would handle 4k gaming very well. Right now I use a 1080 monitor with GSync that I quite like

Is it possible to downsample a 4k monitor to 1920x1080 without it looking like poo poo? If so, I think a single 4k monitor with good refresh times might work. Is there a recommended option? I was looking at the LG 27GR93U, although it seems backordered.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I took a look through the OP and the past couple pages and couldn't see this answered.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Probably you should let us know what your GPU and CPU are, but yeah you can run games or whatever software in whatever resolution you want. I use a 4k monitor and I think you'll be surprised how many new games actually aren't that demanding. Obviously this depends what you like to play but something like a platformer or autobattler or whatever is pretty easy on the system.

I would look at OLED screens, I have a gigabyte m32U which isn't OLED, it's fine but probably there's a better option these days for the price.

GPU is a GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER. CPU is a RYZEN 5 3600.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

K8.0 posted:

Nvidia supports integer scaling on GPUs your age and better. AMD as well on similarly modern GPUs. As long as you turn that on, gaming at 1080p should be generally indistinguishable from the monitor being 1080p at the same size, save that alt-tabbing will probably trigger a resolution change like the old days.

The 4k monitor space is a bit weird right now. LCD monitors are coming down in price a bit and there are some decent options. OTOH, OLED is clearly the future, but the cost is high and the lifespan is questionable for heavy desktop use, at least with static interface elements. You'll need to do your own research to become really knowledgeable. If OLED will help you make money it might be worth it, IDK. RTings is a good place to start.

Thanks, RTings is super helpful. OLED looks pretty pricey, so I'm probably going to go IPS for now

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HalloKitty posted:

Go home for sure. I'm most interested in IPS black right now tbh

I was looking at this too, but there don't seem to be any 4k ips black monitors with a >60 Hz refresh rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I dunno about curved monitors. I like having a multiple monitor monitors, which seems more difficult with curved screens.

More importantly though, I edit photos, and doing that on a curved surface seems weird.