Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So I've got a gtx 1070 and am noodling upgrading a Dell 27" 1080p IPS display I've had for about four years now. Seems like this card can drive a hell of a lot higher resolution still maxed on the games I usually play, like Overwatch, CS:GO, SC2, Dota.

While I'd love to get a g-sync display, I can't justify dropping an extra $100-$200 on the tech. I am, however, assuming that moving to 1440@144hz would be worth an upgrade at this point?

Seems like this Acer XF270HU ticks all the boxes. Question: am I going to be like "zomg the tearing!" for certain games If I move to a 144hz monitor? Or I guess reworded: is tearing automatically "better" w/ a higher refresh monitor or would there be situations where a 60hz monitor would be better.

Are there any other downsides to moving from 1080@60hz vs 1440@144hz that I'm not thinking about here? Use will probably be 50/50 work/gaming.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Alright. On AVeryLargeRadish's strong recommendation I went with the PG279Q. Microcenter was also doing an edu discount so it wound up $650 down from $799. That was much more than I wanted to spend (my original budget was $500 for a 1440p IPS display of any kind), so I sure hope the gsync is worth it.

Christ I wish manufacturers would lay off all the stupid red/black/neon "gamerz only bro!" stand design though. I probably would pay extra for that.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 16, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Blech.

I also just discovered that Zwift only runs at 60fps max, which is kind of un-rad. Debating just going to a Dell U3415W for the same price, since I don't know if I game enough to justify swapping these out until I find one that doesn't have as much backlight bleed

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 17, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

So is playing at 2k resolutions on a curved ultrawide a big deal? I occasionally play StarCraft 2 so ultrawide scaling is out. Sounds like I'd just have to deal w/ black borders which doesn't sound too terribly bad.

Never been a multi-monitor guy, but I like real estate, so I'm just trying to decide if ultrawide is the best option or just waiting for a 2k IPS GSync that doesn't suffer from quality issues.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The quality issues on the 2k/IPS/Gsync monitors have been worked out for a long time now, the occasional bad one still pops up, but at no higher a rate than other IPS monitors.

I purchased a PG279Q a couple of months ago, and it was one of the "occasional bad ones" you speak of. I don't have much interest in playing panel roulette again. Online reviews echo my experience that backlight bleed is a common issue among that panel in particular.

Also it looked stupid.

Anyway, is playing at 2k resolutions on a curved ultrawide a big deal?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Yar. The PG279Q is on sale now for $599 at MicroCenter. I promised myself I wouldn't play the panel lottery again, but that's a pretty solid price.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Godammit. The second PG279Q has some noticeable bleed in the upper right corner. Trying to decide if I’m going to live with it or return this one too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I mean, I am pretty drat picky. But I brought up the bleed detector website and my wife responded “eww…there’s a bunch of light in the lower left corner. It’s pretty bad.”

It’s not detectable during normal use but any movies/games with dark content or loading screens and it sticks out.

Let’s assume for a moment that I just am the pickiest person who ever lived. How long until there’s a high refresh G-Sync IPS panel that has near-undetectable levels of bleed, similar to my several-year old Dell 27” 1080p IPS? One year? Wait for OLED in a few years?

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 23, 2017

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is the thread consensus that QD-OLED is (probably) still not ready for prime time productivity/static content work? I have no interest in turning on dark mode or hiding every functional piece of the OS to avoid burn-in, but I do try to sleep the display when not at my desk.

So I’m stuck trying to figure out the best 4k high refresh flat display for 80/20 office/gaming. I’ve been waffling between the Asus PG32UQXR or LG 32GR95U. But in my weaker moments I’m having this “it just might work for us” thought and consider trying to score a PG32UCDM or similarly situated OLED. I looked at INNOCN as well, but man that bezel is tough to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Oh man. I was still hemming and hawing about a 32” 4k for dual use at ~30” distance, but the smaller panel simulation modes for the PG32UCDM may demolish my last bit of resistance. This thing looks like a fantastic all-rounder.

Really looking forward to ordering it in 2026 when it’s actually possible to get one.