Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
How awesome would it be to go from my Dell U2515H 1440 monitor to one of those 34" ultrawide LG 1440 monitors. I bought my Dell for $200 recently and today I see a used LG available for $550. I am really thinking about if it is worth the extra cash. Can anyone who owns one tell me if there any difficulties? I mostly game.

I will own either a rx 480 or 1070 to drive those pixels.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So I purchased a LG 34um95 off Ebay for $475. Can anyone recommend me a VESA mount for $50-$80. The Ergotech Freedom Arm seens like it will work. I am thinking this going to take up my whole desk but my god am I excited for ultrawide goodness.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I bought a Dell u3415w off Craigslist that the owner purchased a month ago and still has three years warranty. It has some backlight bleed and orangeish glow. Its not really bad but if I could get a better one I would. My question is there a chance of success getting a replacement?

Trying to decide between this monitor and the LG 34um95 with thunderbolt which has not arrived yet.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Ingenium posted:

Is there currently a goto monitor for 1440p 144Hz with Gsync for gaming? It seems like there are butt loads of options and so I am getting a bit overwhelmed.

Seems like everybody buys the XB270HU or the XB271HU.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
If anyone is on the market for a 34" ultrawide Adorama on Ebay has the LG 34UC88 on sale for $724.99 and today there is a $15 off 75 coupon CSUMMERFUN2016. $710 for a brand new monitor is a pretty deal.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
What are the chances of getting a decent XB270HU? I honestly dislike how the XB271HU looks and I would get it only because of better quality control. A refurb XB270HU for $400 seems like a good price and 120hz is plenty.

I currently have a Dell ultrawide but I still have a itch to witness firsthand what a high refresh g sync monitor feels like.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

tvgm2 posted:

I actually ordered one from acerrecertified.com 2 weeks ago and received it Friday. It was $400 plus shipping.

I ran it through all the ufo tests and couldn't find anything wrong in their tests; no dead pixels, no ghosting, etc.

But I did notice 2 issues, one of which has been mentioned in the thread. There's slight vignetting on the bottom 2 corners of about 4 millimeters, but that could be my viewing angle. There is also slight backlight bleed on the bottom side, but it's only noticeable on a pitch black screen.

Gaming on it is a treat and I much prefer the smoothness of 144hz with G-Sync over an ultrawide.

I do wish it had an HDMI input for other devices, but the additional 4 USB 3.0 ports assuages that disappointment.

I am going to guess that nowadays you will be getting refurbs with more recent build dates. Those issues don't sound bad at all for $400. Luckily there's a Frys with an XB271HU on display so I can get somewhat of a taste.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Refurb XB271HU and XB270HU are back.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Sorry guys for forgetting to link the ebay auction. It was actually up since I woke up around 6:30 am pst time. There was like 4 XB271HU in stock. I think some stalking goons got them because they were still in stock when I posted.

I did not buy it because of sales tax. It came out to like $613. Might as well buy it new.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 6, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Taima posted:

I dunno man, OLED is on the horizon, and while there's always something better coming, I really do think that OLED is the bee's knees.

Personally I would just get a deal on something like the U3415W (which I have, and it's great) and just wait it out and get an ultrawide OLED or a 4K OLED down the line in a year or two.

I concur I got my Dell brand new with 3 year warranty on Craigslist for $500. They are on Ebay used for $500-650. I wish Dell or LG had g sync models because Dell and LG always fall in price.

It sucks that Acer and Asus can keep things at a premium for stupidly overpriced tech.

By the way has anyone in here had any success overclocking their U3415W? I have not tried it with the UFO tests.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

lDDQD posted:

AOC AG271QG is coming out soon, but it uses the same AU Optronics panel as the Acer and ASUS displays, so it's kinda the same thing.

More fast IPS panels are on the way from LG.Display, scheduled to arrive Q1 2017, so... expect those to appear in monitors near you about a year from now.

All that sounds great. More competition and AOC is pretty cheap while having decent aluminum builds.

Some info: https://pcmonitors.info/aoc/aoc-ag271qg-165hz-ips-type-g-sync-model/

£639. Pretty steep nvm.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 7, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Dell U2715h for $262.00 with coupon code CP25MON

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...603173238586537

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Or just get a 2560 x 1080. You can save on a 1070 and get an amd card if you want.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I play at 2560x1080. It's wonderful.

And you can always use super resolution. The game renders at a higher resolution, and drivers scale it down to whatever your actual resolution is. Some games I can render at truly obscene resolutions, despite having a 1080 ultrawide

I kinda wish I just saved my money and bought a 2560 x 1080 LG 29UM67. The 1070 can drive my U3415w right now but that's alot of pixels to drive in the future. My desktop does look amazing though.

I highly recommend getting the LG 29UM67 if you want a good budget minded ultrawide. Freesync with a range of 30-75 will last well into future when Freesync becomes the standard. The price is really good at Newegg at $279.99.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
How about an LG 29um68-P for $240 at Adorama? I went ultrawide and now I cant go back everything else seems...so small..

Other options would be a cheap Korean 2560x1440 or an Asus PB278Q. For 1080 144hz theres also the Asus VG248QE.

Link to the LG. Great deal actually.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331908093166?_mwBanner=1

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I just got a used PB278Q and its pretty great. If you can get a good price its a good monitor till the 1440p 144hz G-Sync MEGA MONITORS lower price a bit.

Since they're an older model it's quite easy to get them for $180-250 ish range. I just don't like the bezels.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Argas posted:

That looks good, though it's not coming down in price any time soon. May opt for U2717D instead, direct from Dell it's cheaper than third-party U2715H and Dell doesn't sell those anymore, at least not in Canada.

I dont know if Dell outlet ships to Canada but I saw refurb U2715Hs selling for $260 USD. I would keep an eye out for that next time.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Just bought a refurb XR341ck for $550 on Craigslist, sold my Dell U3415W for the same amount, sold an LG 34um95 and sent my LG 29um68 back to Adorama.

In short 4 monitors in a month. For a loss of about $25 I was able try out 3 ultrawide monitors. My roommate was super confuses why I had different monitor on my desk every week.

The Acer XR341ck for $550 is a good deal though. And it has the coolest ambient lights ever!

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
*woops double post*

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 18, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Glad you're enjoying the monitor. I believe I'm the one who sold you that XR341CK.

Hope there's no more buyers remorse?

Crazy small world this is. No none at all. Witcher looks fantastic.

Pretty soon everyone in the community will own a ultrawide because of me.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

DrDork posted:

Just scored a XR341CK for $500 because it doesn't have a stand. Here's hoping that the reports of it dropping frames with NVidia cards above 60Hz are overblown :ohdear:

Thats a great price and a monitor arm wont be too pricy either.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Stumpus posted:

I'm pretty sure there is an acer predator with those specifications.

If youre talking about the z35 ultrawide. That monitor costs quite a bit and that 1080 resolution is stretched quite a bit on a screen that big. I think hes talking more a long the lines of 24-27" 144hz 1080 g sync ips monitor

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 27, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Acer has a curved Z271 that's 27 inches, 1080p 144Hz GSync that's a VA panel, but not IPS.

Hmm I did not know that came out recently. Its going to need a few price drops though might as well buy a XB270hu or XB271hu.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
The Acer XF240H is a much better value and its silly that yesterday it was priced at $175.00 on Newegg.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

That's freesync. I don't know if these are comprehensive lists but they're handy for narrowing down your options based on the specs you're looking for. No 24" 1080p 144Hz IPS *sync monitors sadly. You'd think that would be a prime spot in the market but apparently not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_G-Sync#List_of_G-Sync-enabled_monitors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_FreeSync#List_of_FreeSync_monitors

I was referring to the post above mine. The 24" 144hz tn freesync panels are so much cheaper than a 24" 144hz tn gsync panel.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
After watching Terry Crews' finished pc build. I am convinced that I would love having an adjustable standing desk. I tried standing and playing Doom with a controller. Not only is it healthier. But I feel like my XR341Ck is even more immersive this way.

Another reason why Ultrawides are awesome. I cant wait for football season. 4 game splitscreen will be incredible.

Unfortunately gamepass probably wont be in 21:9.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 28, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

wicka posted:

it's not really "healthier." standing stationary for long periods of time is no better for you than sitting. it's healthier only if you use it as an excuse to be up and moving, which is what i do at work, but isn't really applicable to gaming.

it feels fantastic, though

I feel like sitting for long periods puts a lot of strain on your knees and joints. Even standing stationary at work I feel like my knees feel much less stiff when I do activities than after sitting all day.

Its still sedentary but I feel much better than sitting on my rear end for hours.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Ugh, this is so frustrating. I want a 24" 1080p IPS, 1ms or really really low response time, with 60 or 144Hz refresh rate. Does this not exist?

e: Weird I just found this. This seems to work, any problems y'all see? It says "WLED/TN" but I guess I can live without the IPS?

What you are looking for does not exist in a 24" ips format. If youre okay with a TN panel and have an amd card I would get this for freesync:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-UM-FX0AA-001-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B01DHTWZRQ

Or

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-XG2401-DisplayPort-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B01A0ZRR50

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 29, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

blah_blah posted:

I was in the same boat and after doing some research I bought a Dell U2715h for $450 from Amazon, and am extremely happy with it. It's a significant upgrade from the U2412h it replaced for me at home, and also noticeably better than the U2712h and (2x) 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays that I've used at work over the last couple of years.

Wasnt there refurbs of the Dell U2715H that were like $280? The pb278q can be pretty cheap used as well.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I might be in the market for a vesa mount for my XR341ck. Any recommendations?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

drat right. I wouldn't have bought a XB271HU if there existed a 24" 1080p IPS freesync monitor with a decent refresh range like 30-100Hz because something like that would work well with a RX 480.

This is pretty close but its only 75hz.

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-23MP68VQ-P

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

The French Army! posted:

I'm possibly looking to get into a freesync display as my next video card will probably be an rx 470, are there any decent options around $250 in 1080p?

Do you want ips/tn? What size are you looking at? What games do you play?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

The French Army! posted:

I would prefer ips but I'll take tn if the price makes sense. I mainly play strategy games and fps with an rpg here and there. Size of 22-24 inches.

If you are looking for non us monitors maybe this one is available in your area. Ita available in Europe and Asia only I believe.

http://www.lg.com/hk_en/monitor/lg-23MP68VQ-P

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Ynglaur posted:

I'll stay away from the A50 then. That's like saying, "You only notice the stuck pixel in a dark screen. Just use a light desktop background! :v:"

Or you can get a better quality setup with headphones like Philips Fidelio x2 and Xonar DG sound card. Grab a cheap SMSL amp/dac and you have a great 7.1 headphone setup that works for movies, games, and music.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

spasticColon posted:

Those Dell monitors look nice and are priced to sell but now I'm thinking of getting a 21:9 ultrawide or are those overrated?

Do you have a Frys nearby? They have many of the monitors mentioned in this thread on display.

And yes ultrawides are awesome because of the extra peripheral vision. Its like playing games on a cinema screen.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Aug 22, 2016

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Anyone here have any luck extending the freesync range of their MG279q? I am looking into getting one. But not if its only 35-90hz. I am also thinking a 1080 144hz with freesync complements my XR341ck better.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
So I bought a MG279q for a pretty amazing deal of $280.

Maybe I am tripping but it doesnt seem like the increase in refresh to 144 is that huge of difference compared to the XR341ck. Note I pretty play only Overwatcha atm. Maybe CS or BF makes a bigger impression.

The blb is much better on the MG279q though.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Papercut posted:

How did you get it for $280?

Craigslist. Its pretty much almost perfect aside from a one small scratch that I buffed out using vaseline.