Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress that, they can pry the rig I built myself from my cold dead hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You are the Padishash Emperor of jackasses.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I had to RMA a Startech mini-dp to dp cable here in the UK... Perhaps the entire product range has a defect.

I did have a better track record than you guys though. 2 out of 3 worked.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Overkill. Get a 560ti or a 6950 and it will run it butter smooth.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Xerin posted:

I'm going to pull the trigger on a ASUS VE248H, but before I did I wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting $200. Is that an alright monitor at the price point for regular gaming or is there something better around that size/price range?

You should be able to pick up a U2311H at around $250 if you look around. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=270797574713&index=8&nav=SEARCH&nid=72275741813

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

my stepdads beer posted:

Just upgraded to the U2711 and it's gorgeous. Using my horrible monitor at work is going to be awful today.

I go from 3x23"+1x24" at home to 2x19" at the office every day. It is beyond painful.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

thylacine posted:

My U2311h has started doing this (imagine the pixels flashing.) Some colors make red pixels flash, and sometimes (someones avatar I didn't save does it) it creates a lines all the way across the screen. Fixable or RMA?

Check your DVI/displayport cable as well. I remember once having a similar issue only with a particular HDMI->DVI cable, but all other cables worked fine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Glad that solved it!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I sit about 30"/75cm away from my monitor. Would 24" be too big at that distance?

No. If anything, I'd think you'd need a 30" monitor at that distance.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Basket of Kittens posted:

Welp, just replaced the CRT with the new 23" ASUS

Gotta say, these LCD screens are bright as hell

All Dell's come superbright from the factory, I always have to turn them down via the on screen display buttons.

Bet the Asuses are too.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Gaza posted:

Is 16:9 really that much worse than 16:10 or is this some sort of joke that went over my head?

I have 3 16x9 1080p monitors, and 1 16x10 1920x1200 monitor. The 1080p ones are absolutely fine and while I would miss my 1920x1200 monitor, I wouldn't go out of my way to get a replacement for it that was 16x10 were it to die. YMMV.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

InstantInfidel posted:

edit: will the performance/appearance be that much better, actually?

So much better.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Workaround: get skype on your smartphone so you can answer skype while gaming.

Also, if you can 'fullscreen' games during multi monitor gaming, the screen they are fullscreened on cursor locks them most of the time.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Good Will Punting posted:

I'm sure it's been asked but the thread is long. One word answer will suffice.

Should I use my VGA Xbox 360 cables for my U2211H or should I just continue to use HDMI on my inferior monitor? (I won't be watching movies or anything, just gaming.)

Edit: I'm mostly concerned with input lag.

Use HDMI/DVI/displayport if you have it. VGA is obsolete.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Get an HDMI-->DVI adapter to use on your U2211H.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270286

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I understand the connection requirements, but does eyefinity support having one pair of monitors mirrored (primary and tv) along with the second desktop monitor in extended?

Yes:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ask your boss why he's loving with your workstation?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ok, having a cisco phone at home is pretty awesome.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If you can go £40 higher: Dell U2211H. £170. 22", 1080p, IPS.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2211-Widescreen-Panel-Monitor/dp/B003R7K32S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1322429622&sr=8-4

I have 3 of the U2311H's, the 23" model. They are fantastic.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

I'll definitely check this out, thanks! Will the 8ms response time be okay for heavy gaming? (FPSes etc.)

There is literally 0 lag. It's perfect. Get it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

I'll definitely check this out, thanks! Will the 8ms response time be okay for heavy gaming? (FPSes etc.)

Better deal for you today at Aria, the 23" model, from this year, for just £9 more:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+products/23%22+Dell+UltraSharp+U2312HM+Widescreen+IPS+LED+Monitor+?productId=46999

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Starcraft is set to only allow a fixed range of resolutions, so that people with more monitors don't benefit from having a larger area of the game available to view.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Call Dell Thailand, see if they can provide you with an Ultrasharp.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dual monitor. Do it. Never look back.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

I'm going to keep games to the primary monitor, but should I expect the increased resolution on my secondary to impact gaming performance on the primary?

Zero gaming performance impact. Go forth and dualmonitor!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My roommate has an okay 1080p 37" LG LCD TV that I have often connected via HDMI out for watching a movie or something.

It's good for that, but actually using it for working on at close range it's annoying. Pixels are too big and it's just... not right for some reason.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Tell them to send you an advance replacement. They'll need a credit card number, but do it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Dell monitors are VESA compatible.

Their stands are not, as far as I can see. Ie they use proprietary latches to hook into a dell monitor (the monitors have additional notches to slot the dell stand in to, without compromising the monitors VESA compatibility).

TLDR: do not buy a dell stand for a non dell monitor.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I bought a pair of UltraSharp U2312HMs and purolator's shipping details are very... unspecific.

code:

Status	        In Transit in U.S.
Date/Time	MARCH 27, 2012 AT 00:08
Depot	        U.S.A. GROUND LINEHAUL
If you order directly from Dell, they often give ship dates of a month later and the monitor is inexplicably on your doorstep the next day.

Also, eat the eggs!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

What graphics card do you have?

Also, regarding monitors, pick up what suits your fancy from the OP (I'm particularly partial to the ultrasharps). Generally, brand and model wise, what suits your purpose for 1 monitor, will suit your purpose for 2 monitors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ledneh posted:

It's an nvidia 560ti. ...which I now realize means it has a DVI and a VGA port, not two DVIs. Hrm. :geno: nevermind i'm dumb and blind

Thanks for the word. I've never really bothered with my own monitor shopping, usually I had a buddy who actually knows this stuff do it for me. :)

The 560ti only supports 2 displays at a time, so, just FYI, you will not be able to run your TV and 2 monitors simultaneously. It'll have to be 1 monitor + TV or both monitors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

iSheep posted:

There are so many options, its a bit overwhelming.

iSheep posted:

About 3 options there. Not really a comprehensive list.

You complain about their being to many options in the marketplace, that's what the OP is there for, to narrow down the options.

Then you complain that there are too few options in the OP.
:ughh:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

iSheep posted:

I meant for my sizing that I want. The under 24" has 3 recommended options. I'm wanting to see what other options there are since the OP was last updated in December.

God drat you guys, calm down.

That's the second stupid complaint you have made about the OP.

The OP wasn't last updated in December, it's quite recent, e.g. the Catleap information.

Movax makes a lot of effort to maintain the OP and to post in this thread, as do the other contributors, and FYI, the OP relating to what monitor brand/model to buy was last updated as per: "movax hosed around with this message at Mar 21, 2012 around 16:59".

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Could you add a rough PSU requirements blurb in the GPU thread?
:allears:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:negative:

Actually, given the depth of the resources available in this and similar threads on SH/SC, I wouldn't have qualms about a voluntary :10bux: donation once in a while to expertgoonbeerfund...

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

iSheep posted:

I would jump on the U2312HM just to make this easy for me, but it has no HDMI port. This is hard, man :(

You may want to consider using a HDMI to DVI cable such as: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812203029

It should work fine from your desktop to your monitor.

Just a note though, if you'll be plugging it in to some cable set top boxes, some cable boxes don't think such cables are HDCP compliant, which is annoying (I faced this issue trying to connect my U2311H via DVI-->HDMI to my Virgin Media tv box - ended up just connecting it to my roommate's TV instead with straight HDMI to HDMI to prevent all the fuss).

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You intend to bring a 23" monitor and an xbox with you while travelling?

:stare:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

He wants native HDMI support on the new monitor in order to prevent possible HDCP issues against his Xbox if he uses a adapter/ HDMI -> DVI cable.

Can any of you confirm Xbox support over using adapters / HDMI->DVI cables with the U22/U23 line?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You'll be able to drive your 3 monitors with the 7870 via 1 DVI and 2 DP just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Pretty sweet deal on the Dell U2412 today on SCAN:

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.aspx