Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Christ, I'm tempted. I've spent the evening pricing out a 4K gaming PC with the expectation of picking up the Acer X27 or the ROG Swift PG27UQ, but the idea of pre-ordering a $2,000 monitor sight unseen is frankly terrifying, especially since I'd prefer to wait until the GTX 1180 is out anyway so I can actually power the drat thing. How bad do we think the supply issues are going to be on these things, given how long people have been waiting for them? Also, do we know if there are going to be any meaningful differences between the Acer and Asus offerings yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Monitor thread, please help me make an informed decision on a sequence of upgrades.

My main PC is old, and its monitors are extremely old: a pair of NEC MultiSync 2690WUXis, which have served me well but are now slowly dying. I’ve got a substantial paycheck coming along with some money I’ve been saving up for this purpose, so I’d planned on replacing literally everything and moving to a 4K setup when the X27 / PG27UQ came out, using one of those alongside a cheaper (~$400) 4K monitor, with an 1180 to power them.

That, uh. Didn’t quite work out, as we’ve seen.

I’m inclined to wait a year or so before dropping serious money on a monitor the way I was planning, in the hope that something a bit more refined than the X27 / PG27UQ comes along, even if it’s in the same price range. Once the GeForce 1180 comes out (I’m convinced we’ll see it in 2018) I’d still like to rebuild this PC and pick up that cheaper 4K monitor, maybe something in the $500-600 range, because even that will be a huge upgrade. But that’d mean I’m running it alongside the more functional of my two 2690s for work purposes, and my impression is that running 1080p and 4K displays side by side can be problematic. If I do buy a monitor soonish, it’ll be something I keep for a good while, 5+ years probably.

What would you folks do in my position?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
What are the odds of getting a midrange IPS monitor without backlight bleed?

I picked up an LG 27UK650-W at Fry's last week, discovered it had noticeable backlight bleed, exchanged it, and found that the new one had about the same amount of bleed, just in different places - definitely bleed, to clear, not IPS glow, as it's persistent regardless of viewing angle. I've now run the store out of stock on that monitor, so if I want to try for a bleedless one, I'd have to go to online retailers where the exchange process is much more onerous. Is it worth the headache of more returns, or am I likely to just shuffle the bleed around from one location to another?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Any recommendations for quality microfiber cloths to clean a monitor with? Everyone says "use microfiber," but there's a whole continuum of microfiber products and it's clear that not all of them are suitable for use on a PC monitor: what works for eyewear, glassware, and phone/tablet screens isn't necessarily appropriate for the coating on a monitor. Nobody seems to bother reviewing them either, and reddit is dominated by one company that seems to have 2-3 sockpuppet accounts spamming recommendations for their product.