Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

For the record: IPS glow/backlight bleed will almost always be there if you go looking for it. A "good" IPS monitor still may have brown corners if you're on a completely black loading screen in a dark room.

Turn the brightness down to 50% and re-assess. Also, random "comparative" shots are hard to assess unless you "match" the exposure (shutter/aperture/ISO).

But there's no question that random IPS monitor samples have a lot of backlight bleed and glow. If you play primarily space games and a small amount of real-world corner bleed will bother you, then say so, IPS probably is not for you.

This monitor looks high to me though.

Just for shits and giggles i decided to take to a phone shot of each screen I had nearby, in a dark room. They all look loving horrendous lol

A pretty old IPS Dell:

IRL there's a slight cast in in the lower corners but not too bad from the angle I'm usually at

A free Fujitsu something or other I got as a secondary monitor, probably TN:

Normally a bit of backlight bleed is visible at most

Chinese tablet with a Surface IPS screen:

Thinkpad T460 with the IPS panel:

Samsung Note 9:

It sucks that all monitors aren't OLED but turning even a dim light in the room (or not looking at pure black) helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

The thing about taking pictures in the dark with your phone is that it has auto exposure, so basically every monitor is going to look very similar overall even though they don't IRL. Monitors that perform well will actually tend to look worse if you aren't taking this into consideration - since they're more uniform, the phone will adapt to make everything look fairly bright.
Yeah I was just seeing what's gonna happen if you didn't control the environment or settings, of course you could set the exposure to make any monitor look pitch black.

Subjunctive posted:

Why don’t high end monitors all have integrated bias lighting by now? They could be multi-colour like the good kits and everything.
No idea. I actually made my own a while ago out of a strip of ws2812 that worked pretty decently. I'll see if it's still in the drawers somewhere, haven't really used in practice since IIRC it needed 12v and I hooked it up to spare molex connector though a hole in the case like a smart boy which turned out sketchy as gently caress

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

butt dickus posted:

Over 10 years? And I thought I was crazy for still using my U3011s. I've been waiting for years for the perfect replacement but it seems like it will never happen. All the things I want in a monitor exist, but not in the same monitor, is there some reason for that?
3840x1600
IPS or OLED
120Hz+ refresh
Freesync
Curved
USB-c connector

The thing that baffles me is there are 144Hz 4k displays but nothing with even 120Hz at the lower resolution. I could compromise and get the 34GK950F-B but it's low res and missing a USB-c connector to plug in and charge my laptop for when I don't need the power of my desktop.
Yeah I've been stuck on my 24" Dell for years because what I really wanted didn't exist. And still doesn't. And I don't even care about curved or usb-c. But I think with the new Ryzen and whatever Intel manages to come up with, I'll probably finally build a new PC (to upgrade from Ivy Bridge lol) and will pull the trigger on whatever comes closest because poo poo's getting ridiculous.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So how bad is VA nowadays? Today I stopped by a major electronics store just to see what's up and check out some monitors IRL. Unfortunately they had only a few models displayed and they were separated by brand so I couldn't really compare anything like I wanted to. But I did see what IIRC was a Samsung U32R590. It's 4k, 32", curved (meh), VA and under $500. The size seemed just right, a significant upgrade from 24" but not crazy like 40", and the viewing angles and colors looked good, but of course it's really impossible to tell objectively in those conditions.

So yeah I'm a bit tempted, maybe more so by the flat version. I'm tired of waiting of the perfect monitor which will be all this +IPS +HDR +Gsync +120hz (not even talking about oled at this point!) because that's some kind of unicorn apparently, and even dropping a grand would still get a very basic IPS panel. Has anyone seen a good VA and IPS panels side by side? From what I'm seeing, the contrast and color accuracy is very good at least for sRGB.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah so that's the catch. Because I was looking at some reviews and everything seemed pretty good for VA considering the price range. I'm not pro gamer or anything but I guess I'd want to try it in person to see if the response bothers me. It's a shame 32" isn't taking off for 4k, 27" makes sense for 1440p but a few more inches would only make things better :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I had a dream I could actually remember for the first time in ages tonight. I drunk-ordered a giant curved monitor (and an acoustic bass which I can't play of course) and when it showed up, it didn't fit properly on the desk and I couldn't align the top edge with my eye level.

But thankfully it's also flexible! Or maybe it wasn't supposed to be, because the screen cracked in a few spots while I was trying to adjust it. So then I couldn't return it and was stuck with a huge and expensive paperweight (that's what she said). What would Freud say, does this mean I want to gently caress my monitor?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

CRTs are the best because you can't play duck hunt with the gun on anything else.
Shouldn't Duck Hunt work on LCDs too? I think it just flashes a white box over the ducks for a frame. But also there's no reason we couldn't have OLEDs scan out like a CRT, thus solving the motion clarity problem as well as the duck hunt problem

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Do any of the typically recommended monitors do black frame insertion or strobing? After reading a bit too much stuff on motion clarity and now I feel like I must have this in any future monitors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

BFI is incredible, but there are zero monitors that properly support it with VRR. It's really a shame because sample and hold really damages motion clarity, but there just aren't any good options yet and probably won't be any time soon. It would require modulating both the timing and brightness of the backlight pulses and no display has done that yet. For OLED it would be easier - just make the pixels light up for a very short time, but much brighter - but the problem is that brightness is the thing that burns out OLEDs, so doing it well would make an OLED display have a dramatically shorter lifetime.

There are some monitors with halfassed support like the VG27AQ, but none of them are great options. It's just one of those things we're stuck with for now.
Thanks, that blows. But OTOH this nudges me in the direction of just getting an 27GL850 and then not waiting 10 years to upgrade but jumping as soon as a 4k BFI monitor comes out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Plus I don't know if I'd trust Eve nerds to design a monitor over professional engineers
Why can't you make it 32" you fuuuucks

repiv posted:

$1200 for an Innolux panel though, aren't they usually pretty mediocre?

Anyway it shows that there's a HDMI 2.1 freesync controller out there now
No idea if Innolux are garbage but the price was converted from Yen so who knows what the markup/conversion fuckery was included

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd even take a 32" pleeeeaaaase

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

Hardware Unboxed was pretty impressed with the Dell S2721DGF, Dell's version of a monitor with the ubiquitous LG NanoIPS 1440 panel, theirs at 165hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vbqyjgPpY

At $40 over a 27GL83A, it does give a few benefits with motion thanks to that faster clock if you've got a computer that can drive it... although I just checked and it looks like its out of stock just like the 83A perpetually is so :shrug:
Welp I think I'm going with this. It's actually almost $100 cheaper than the 27GL850 here so it's a no brainer, though it looks like might need to wait a bit for it to be restocked.

For a moment I was excited about the LG 4k monitor but it's still 27". If it were 32" I think I'd drop up to a grand but double the price oft he 1440p makes no sense to me. Especially since it still doesn't do proper HDR either. I'd even take a Samsung VA if it were 32" 4k but they don't make a G7 like that either. The only other exciting possibility was the 48CX but it's too big and too expensive for my desk/taste, and 10+ hours a day of office & coding work would probably do it no good anyway.

E: ordered the Dell. It's already after business hours here so I guess I'll find out on Monday when it will ship.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 23, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You're making GBS threads me, just as I ordered the S2721DGF, my dream panel might actually be coming this year?? :negative:

quote:

One of the most exciting panels in the plans is the M320QAN02.6. This is a 32″ IPS panel with a 3840 x 2160 resolution combined with a 144Hz refresh rate max. It has a wide gamut with 99% Adobe RGB coverage, 10-bit colour depth and a borderless design. What makes this one so interesting is that it also has a 1152-zone Mini LED backlight for top level HDR performance. This delivered a 1400 cd/m2 peak brightness as well, allowing the screen to meet the newish VESA DisplayHDR 1400 standard. This was previously expected to go in to production in Q1 2020 but due to covid that is now expected to be this month, from Oct 2020. There is already a 60Hz version in mass production (M320QAN02.5) but this will be the high refresh rate option.
Of course I'll be still able to cancel the order because of unknown shipping dates but still lol.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rusty posted:

Linus did a review on the 48" LG Oled as a PC monitor. I assume my task bar would be burned in to the screen in a year if I used it like that, is that still the case? The Rtings guys did burn in examples for TV and it wasn't awful, but seems like having a desktop on 10-12 hours a day would be bad.

I don't think there's an exact answer to this but it's my impression as well. It might be fine for a normal person who does some facebooking and then watches a movie but 8+ of WFH followed by as much personal use would gently caress it up pretty badly, I imagine.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rusty posted:

Yeah, I figured, just seems so tempting to have an OLED for the dektop, but I don't want to have to worry about it or go through all the mitigation strategies. I have a 3080 and game, but 90% of the use would be a wfh situation
Oh I know, I thought the Dell U2311 was the last LCD I was going to buy before OLED solved monitors forever but here we are.

I've had OLED displays in phones forever and the Note9 is really impressive (and shows no signs of burn in after 2 years) so I'm really tempted too, but seems like desktop usage would be still a problem, not to mention that 48" is really huge.

I wouldn't have any concerns using it just for games but I don't really play enough games any more to justify a separate $2k TV just for that purpose. Really what would make more sense is getting a bigger one (65" or more) to replace my projector setup with that and game in the living room.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

My take is that don't get an OLED as a PC monitor unless you're willing to take the possibility of writing off a a thousand bucks over the next 3 years instead of something like 5-10 years. Also they're huge as gently caress and reflective.

Having said that, OLED is absolutely baller as far as image quality goes.

RE: M320QAN02

:) : "Hey guys, here's that 32" 4K 144hz panel you've been asking for years."

:neckbeard: : YES

*monkey's paw curls*

:) : "It has a technology in it that adds 2000 USD in retail value"
Yeah it's literally the panel I've been waiting to upgrade from 1080p for years and even asked about ITT repeatedly. It's probably gonna be :singings: as you say though, and around 1k is the max for me though.

On the other hand, I don't think this was highlighted in the initial post, but there are some more good news in the actual article, I think I'd be able to sacrifice HDR if it's a big difference:

quote:

32″ IPS Panel with 4K and High Refresh Rate In Production Soon
A 32″ sized panel is due to go in to mass production soon around Dec 2020. The M320QAN02.3 offers a 3840 x 2160 (“4K”) resolution combined with a 144Hz refresh rate. It also offers a 400 cd/m2 brightness, 600 cd/m2 peak brightness for HDR (16-zone edge lit local dimming), true 10-bit colour depth and wide gamut with 99% Adobe RGB coverage listed. With that in production soon, we can perhaps hope to see some screens announced soon using this panel! Finally some 32″ models with 4K @ 144Hz perhaps?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, he's just being dramatic that's all. It's an incredibly good monitor and still the number one choice for everyone who wants to move to 1440p144 at a great price/performance point
So what's the difference between it and the GL850? Unlike the Dell that I ordered it's actually available locally in stock.

ufarn posted:

My Dell monitors are almost ten years old, I'm just awful at upgrading. I kinda wanna wait for HDMI 2.1, but I probably don't really need it for anything realistically. Having the option for HDMI-VRR sounds nice for consoles, but realistically all that will just be in the TV room anyway.

Maybe I'l just postpone things another five years and wait for holograms to drop to a reasonable price point.
Personally, if the Dell doesn't ship soon, I'm waiting for direct brain-computer interface. Musk said it's just around the corner.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Also, it sounds like Dell is running some kind of sale on the monitor or on their site which seems ridiculous. It's like $150 off compared to third-party retailers from what I can tell. Supposedly, DEALABS20 works as a discount code, too.

Definitely see if buying directly is cheaper for you.

Regardless of what future panels can do, this is a pretty nuts deal by the look of it.
I got excited but my local Dell site is trash and doesn't sell anything directly unfortunately. The German site doesn't have it at all and the French one lists it at 430EUR before the 20% code, but won't actually let you add it to the cart. Maybe there's some kind of secret pre-order list but I don't speak French well enough to figure it out. In any case that works out to only about $30 cheaper than what I have it ordered for.

E: but yeah definitely check out their site, they often do sales

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 24, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hemish posted:

The right term is probably something like joystick but it feels suppler than those little red knob (mouse) in the middle of a laptop's keyboard. So nipple felt like the right call.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hemish posted:

Yeah... I didn't want to say it's like the clit mouse but a bit longer so I went with nipple... I guess there's worse things said daily on this forum.

They couldn't exchange the item and I can't order it since it's out of stock so gently caress all that poo poo. They also want to return it via Canada Post so on top of all that, I need to go there when it's open like 3 minutes in the mornings and 7 minutes in the afternoon. One month of anticipation for nothing and I can't even get in queue to get a replacement.

Even the feel good plans don't work in 2020.

Good for you but I hate you so much now...
I think as long as it's not the other c word you're pretty safe for now.

At least you got something, I'm still looking at my order status with no ETA. I'm kind of hoping the 4K 144hz AOU monitor makes it to production before I receive it, by this point.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo my Dell S2721DGF supposedly just shipped!

Which is incidentally another (better) alternative to those LGs. I wanted a 32" 144hz monitor too but there's no reasonable options so far, although some AOU panels mentioned a few pages back are finally looking promising, but who knows when those will be available and for how much.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ufarn posted:

Do a trip report with how you went about calibrating, if you don't mind. There's a big gain from calibrating it, and I guess borrowing a calibration profile might improve it somewhat even though it's not ideal.
From what I've seen it seemed pretty good by default, but I don't have a calibrator so borrowing a profile will probably have to be the first step. Maybe I could convince a friend to split one, I don't really want to buy one for something I'd use once a year at best.

Hemish posted:

Is the 27GL850 really worth 205-250$ more so 705-750$Cnd than the 27GL83A? People say it's the same panel with a USB hub but that can't be right, why would they charge 200$ for an USB hub? I don't know enough about the color gambut thing to know if that difference is worth 200$ or not. I ask because this one might be in stock and about to run out.

I'm not interested in 4k monitors. I'd like 1440p 144hz. It could be bigger than 27" if I have no choice as the 27GL83A is a loving fairy tale at this point.

Dell S2721DGF doesn't seem available in Canada. It doesn't even show up at all on Shopbot. On Dell.ca website it's listed as shipping in January 2021 and it's 740$.
Wide gamut is good but could be tricky to get it to display regular content accurately so the extra $200 are probably not worth it unless you actually need it for some reason.

The Samsung Odyssey G7 might also be an option if you don't want 4k, it's VA but looks pretty awesome.

Forget the Dell then, it's just a bit faster (probably not even noticeably so), it's just a good alternative if it's cheaper and/or in stock.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TorakFade posted:

It is one hell of a trip trying to sort out the differences between those things, since model names seem to come from randomly bashing the keyboard and appear to have no actual easy to spot relation to production year, characteristics, tiers etc. If you're lucky a 27 or 32 somewhere in there will mean 27" or 32", but not always :v:
Dell has at least six models called S2721: H, HS, NH, Q, DGF, HGF. The DGF is almost 3 times more expensive than the cheapest one, and the range includes: IPS and VA panels, 1080p, 1440p, and 4k resolutions, and some look identical based on their main specs. :iiam: at least they're all 27"

E: I got a tracking number but it's still not available in the system, and tomorrow is a public holiday. Fuuuuck I could've had tomorrow, so close :argh:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 27, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KidDynamite posted:

managed to get my hands on a 3080 last week, and now my old rear end Samsung U28D590D(4k 60 TN) is no longer cutting it. I can't do 1440p for work after years of 4k. the 720 pixel height difference is too much for me(50 lines of code vs 80 doesn't seem like much but helps me work faster.) I used my wife's 1440p 144hz and good lord is it good to game at 144hz.

is it just a waiting game for a proper 4k 144hz monitor at this point? i rather not rush and buy one of the very limited existing options for 4k HFR and I'm not doing a 48 inch tv as a monitor.

There are some 144hz 4k monitors, if you don't mind dropping like $2k on one. But a few pages back someone posted an announcement about new HFR 4k panels coming out soon hopefully.

Of course at that point I already had a 1440p monitor ordered after I finally gave up waiting for my unicorn.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's not too unusual though I think. Dell for example doesn't sell monitors directly here either and the way to RMA them is through the seller.

Zarin posted:

Buddy just asked me for a monitor recommendation; he's interested in this one:
https://www.amazon.com/VP28UQG-Moni...03818832&sr=8-6

Primary usage is gaming and working from home.

I asked, and he's not interested in what's coming in January or waiting for high refresh to hit the market; it seems he's planning on sticking with his 2060 for some years to come.

That being said, I couldn't find the monitor on RTings so I'm not sure if this is IPS or not (I'm guessing not at that price but I don't know how to check :( )

If that isn't a good pick, we'd be glad to hear about anything in the sub-$300 range!

Edit: Poked around a bit on the Q&A side, and apparently it is a TN panel. Hmm. Now I'm wondering of 27" 4k IPS with VRR even exists in the sub-300 bracket . . . .
IMO 27" is too small for 4k without scaling so you're not gaining any real estate, while being much more difficult to drive in games (especially if he's sticking with a 2060). So I'd consider either 1440p, like the LGs or Dell, or something 4k and 32" (but the latter with HFR and VRR is an issue, as discussed above).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Got a call from the courier this morning, they decided to deliver it on a public holiday. Sucks for them but great for me because I get the whole day to gently caress around with the Dell Don't-Give-a-gently caress :getin:

First impression is that the size is a bit underwhelming (:pervert: just what she said), a decent enough improvement over 24" in itself, but lame for like 10 loving years. Very bright by default, and the HU recommended setting is also too bright for my taste. Everything is much smoother of course after enabling 165hz. The colors definitely pop much more, I installed the Dell ICC profile but it's hard to talk about accuracy without a calibrator or calibrated reference. In general it's kind of a mess to set up in Windows, the settings are all over the place.

It looks great for casual use but I'll have to get it calibrated before touching my photos. The downside is that I'm definitely not running RDR2 at 165hz on a 1070, or probably anything else for that matter. E: well the UFO really flies!

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 28, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have the Dell at like 15 even in a room lit though a window on a cloudy day. It's really bright, I can't imagine what those 1000 nit panels do to your eyes.

They weren't kidding about garbage contrast on these LG panels. I've seen the tests of course so I knew about it but it legit might be worse than my old Ultrasharp. Come on, make a <42" OLED already, LG!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I found a place locally that will rent a calibrator for a day for like $15 so I'm gonna do it. They have two devices: X-RITE I1 STUDIO, and COLORMUNKI PHOTO, I have zero experience with either but the former is marginally more expensive so I assume it's better? :downs:

Since this Dell is wide gamut, I guess I would have to calibrate it twice, for P3 and sRGB and make two profiles so I could then switch as necessary? Hopefully the calibrating software makes it simple enough for an idiot.

Zarin posted:

Yeah, I do mostly Excel, Word, Outlook, etc. all day (along with some random other softwares/web interfaces) and I used to run 3x 1080p monitors; swapping a 1080p for a 4k doubled my real estate basically. Now instead of 3 1080p windows open, I can have 6. Or two portraits on the 4k. Or two EXTREMELY WIDE spreadsheets (top and bottom split).

4k for productivity owns, in my experience.
4K at 32" should be usable for most people without scaling. It'd be great for work which is what I need mine mostly, and for games you can scale up either with DLSS or just integer doubling in the worst case if you can't run at native resolution. The reason I got a 1440p one for now is that none had >120hz, VRR (and HDR) at a reasonable price so far. And seeing how black levels and contrast haven't gotten much better since my U2311, at this point I think I'd want an OLED anyway.

Some Goon posted:

I've got a 24" and 27" fhd monitor currently. The issues with 1080p at 27" are imo vastly overstated, the text is every so slightly fuzzier and in like games and stuff it's not even noticable. But I would like to have more cells / rows on screen at once, which a larger 1080p monitor doesn't help at all with, so I was going to ditch the 24" for a higher res portrait mode monitor. With 1440p I could double dip and get a nice gaming monitor too, but I don't game on a monitor much at all presently, 4k might be cheaper and I would think could have more stuff on screen, but if the implementation is bad then it doesn't really help.
I now have a 23" fhd and 27" 1440p side by side, and the 23" now looks pretty bad in terms of details, and that's a difference of about only ~20 DPI. I'm sure it's possible to get used to 27" 1080p but IMO that would be... not optimal.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Apparently some can and just have a separate sRGB mode, but this one doesn't unfortunately. I really have no clue about this stuff because I've only ever had standard gamut monitors, but I think that it should be pretty easy to just scale the values to make them look like what they should. Like if in P3 255,0,0 is eye-watering red, just scale it down to 220,0,0 so it shows up like on a normal monitor. I guess at the expense of some resolution.

Or maybe I'll stick with P3 and screw the losers that don't have it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Vidaeus posted:

Sorry if this is covered in the thread, but couldn't see it in the OP or in the last page.

Are there any OLED monitors that are in the 24-32" range, preferably geared towards gaming? The only ones I could see are the gigantic ones like the Alienware 55" monstrosity or small ones like the ASUS 22" Proart
There's an LG 48" tv, but otherwise not much. There were some announcements a year or two ago but it didn't really translate into real monitors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

Thats the hidden curse of 144hz... you won't notice it until you go back to running 60hz on like a laptop and it looks like DOGSHIT. 144hz doesn't make your games and stuff look obviously better as much as it just ruins everything else thats slower! Cool!
Mine goes to 165 even! I can usually tell when it's above 60 in games but then it feels kind of the same. I still have the old monitor connected so I can easily compare them. Obviously scrolling and moving windows is smoother but I'm beginning to think if I shouldn't have gone for a 32" 4k 60 instead like I was considering.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

teraflame posted:

Is the Dell S2721DGF one of the best 1440p high refresh monitors to go for? How often does dell do sales?

Gonna run it with a 3080.

The black level / contrast sucks (probably like all the LG panels) but otherwise I think so

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rollie Fingers posted:

I am sure because I'm one of the artists that had to use those displays for years.

These are the monitors that every film company used:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_sx2762w.htm (649:1)
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_2490wuxi.htm (632:1 after hardware calibration)

I would say these two probably make up a third or more of all monitors that VFX companies still use to this day.
The issue with these LG IPS panels is black level, not contrast IMO. The contrast is "fine" because they're bright as gently caress.

The black point on that Eizo is 0.18cd/m2 and 0.14 on my cheapo U2311H: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm#colour for a contrast of 857:1. The black point on the 2721DGF is like 0.24 as far as I can tell or even higher at HDR brightnesses. I can get the U2311 much lower too if I bring the brightness to 0, which doesn't help much in the 2721.

It's really distracting in night scenes and I'd probably return it now if it wasn't too late. I was too impressed by, well, everything else the first few weeks. I'm thinking I'll stick with it for a year maybe and then eat a $100 or so loss to move to something bigger and better. E: Like those AOC 32" that came up recently. Or something OLED :pray:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 5, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah it's just bad. I'm not a huge monitor snob (otherwise I wouldn't still have the U2311) but, unlike delta-E sperging, this is easily visible to the naked eye, even with lights on in the room. Of course I just saw the review of the Gigabyte M27Q which seems to be using a Sharp panel and gets better contrast so maybe something to consider for anyone looking for a 27" HFR monitor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIqwxAZ-MQ

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's your main problem with it? :D

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Verviticus posted:

i went from a 10 year old monitor and a 970 to the 83a-b and a 3070 and honestly the difference wasnt as lifechanging as i've been told. i even have a second lovely monitor hooked up that i didnt upgrade and going back and forth its like yeah. i see it. its alright! but it didnt really illicit the reaction that my friends/the internet told me it should
I posted pretty much the exact thing earlier, down to an ancient Dell 2311H monitor.

But because I didn't feel like doing the work I'm paid for, I fired up Quake 3 instead and bound some keys to cap the framerate at 45, 60, 125, and 165 fps. I did a few tests, mainly jerking the mouse left and right while standing, strafing sideways while looking at a wall straight ahead, and circle strafing while bunny hopping around a quad damage.
  • 45fps makes me want to puke. I was quite happy with 45 in RDR2 but this is actually physically unpleasant.
  • 60fps is much better. A bit less motion blur and the mouse feels more responsive. In any slower paced game this will probably be good enough
  • 125fps is honestly probably almost as dramatic as 45->60. It's just that 60 isn't as puke-worthy as 45. But it gets rid of a huge amount of motion blur, which is very clear when strafing parallel to a wall for example. The mouse feels more fluid and natural.
  • 165fps seems to reduce motion blur ever so slightly, but otherwise I can't tell any difference. I'm using a Razer mouse but with standard Windows drivers so that might be a limiting factor, a quick search suggests windows polls at 125hz by default.
So doing this test actually made me appreciate it a bit more. I tried Quake the day I got the monitor, but it just felt normal. I think unlike the bigger physical size or resolution, it's not as immediately obvious, but what you're gaining becomes clear if you can quickly toggle it and feel it immediately.

That said since I don't play online competitively or Q3 or UT very often, so I'd probably take a 4k 32" 60Hz over this, but all IPS monitors are more than twice as expensive so that's not exactly a direct substitute. A non-gaming QHD, maybe if it had a much better black level / contrast while (but not VA).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lordfrikk posted:

I have to try some less demanding first person shooter to see if I can easily tell the difference between 60/120/240 Hz or if I consider it worthwile because so far I am in the camp of 60 is great, extra is whatever.
Q3 works well for this, you can get the demo and it runs at a million fps if you want to, and can be switched with a key:
bind 8 "com_maxfps 60"
bind 9 "com_maxfps 125" etc.

DrDork posted:

Nope, in fact more or less the opposite: by default, *Sync turns off once you're hitting FPS above the monitor's refresh rate. That's what all the "cap your frames at 141 FPS" and similar recommendations are about : to ensure that FPS < Hz. *Sync is specifically intended to help reduce the impact of low FPS, so if you're getting 70-90 FPS on a 144Hz monitor it's gonna be doing the best it can to sync up the monitor with the framerate, which is what makes the visual experience better. 144 FPS on a 144Hz monitor and it has no real work to do since they're already matched.

*Sync is something I think some people miss when talking about how 60 v 120 v 16 FPS looks to them: if it's doing it's job, it's going to be able to paper over a good bit of that difference in a lot of cases, but it can't do a whole lot about input latency.

Also motion blur is terrible and is the first thing I turn off in every game. I seriously cannot understand why it's even an option. Are there people who want everything to be a smeary mess whenever anything moves?
Sync is mostly about eliminating frame tearing without locking into 60/30fps, no? I guess it does smooth things out a bit but I don't think it's really a substitute for 120+ fps, because the main benefit there is just getting more intermediate frame

Fake motion blur mostly sucks but just for the record, it's not in Q3, I was talking about only the actually perceived blur from objects moving on the screen.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

explosivo posted:

I think I'm pulling the trigger on the LG 27GL850-B, I've never actually seen HDR but have read some so-so things to say about the HDR quality on this one, can anyone attest to that? I assume it's the kind of thing that having never seen it before I won't notice if it's bad or not but still thought I'd ask because if I'm going to upgrade I'm looking for HDR.

Edit:Followup question: how much more horsepower does it take to get 60+ frames with QHD over a standard 1080p resolution? I have a GTX 1070 so no plans on going 4k anytime soon but was hoping that would be enough to get decent frames in 1440p
The HDR is uselss on these monitors, they don't go bright enough and have no local dimming, forget about it.

QHD is 3.7MP compared to 2MP, but in actual games the scaling doesn't seem to be that bad. I'm getting about 32 fps in Cyberpunk at 1440p and 45 at 1080p, though YMMV.

Disappointing Pie posted:

You honestly may think I'm crazy but I've gotten so many totally great monitors from pawn shops or used goodwill like stores. I just take an old tiny laptop and hdmi cable and make sure they power on and display fine and I've gotten a few for around $20 that honestly should be worth five times that. You can find solid 1080p monitors in that range anywhere I feel.
I have a bunch of pretty decent monitors (old school 1280x1024 and 1080p) that I don't want to throw out but are also worth little enough to motivate me to sell them, so they just stand around. I'd probably give them away too if someone asked.

Scarecow posted:

Trip report after having the CX48 for 3 days and playing cyberpunk on it....jfc its amazing

If you have a corner desk and your in the price point of this or a monitor you have to buy this its breath taking
Hmm, I do have a corner desk. How far away are you sitting from the screen? I'm about 25" away from the 27" Dell I just got a few months ago, and could probably fit it by moving it a bit closer. It'd be actually exactly the width of this 27" and older 24" I still have sitting next to it.

That said, by time %, I mainly use my desktop for work stuff so I think I'd be still concerned with burnout. I don't even watch movies on it since I have a projector so it's a bit hard to justify still.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Why don't you make it 32" you fucks

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/videocardz/status/1348635550132137986?s=21

32in PC OLED! (Only $2-3k probably!)

(And probably 60hz. And probably not an LG panel)
Oh wait, that might do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

I replaced one of my old 24' 1080p monitors with a 27' 1440p monitor and it is so beautiful that it makes my old monitor look like dog poo poo. I was looking into why the scaling is so bad but it looks like that is just Windows. This is both amazing and incredibly annoying.
How do you all deal with Windows scaling? Use it and disable it for games and such?
No scaling on a 27" 1440p monitors IMO.