Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

d3rt posted:

I play CS:GO, just bought the xb270hu and don't notice a problem with 4ms response time. It's glorious too, playing on a 27" 2560 x 1440.

129 hours of CS:GO but I've only just begun playing MM in the last couple months and am MG1 with 37 wins so take what I say about CS with a grain of salt.

Bought one too and was dreading turning it on to see if there was a ton of backlight bleed and dead pixels. Only had a tiny amount of bleed in on of the corners and no dead pixels. The leap to 1440p 60+fps is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Etrips posted:

Where did you get it from / what was the manufacturer date?

I got it from amazon about a week ago but I just got home from some training so turned it on yesterday. Manufacture date says may2015

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

d3rt posted:

I don't notice any light bleed, but I have 1 red pixel. It's far to the right and I don't see it during regular use. Where would I find the manufacture date?

Its in the back of the monitor under the monitor model, in a tag.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Considering the amount of people buying Acer monitors that would be buying Asus ones instead I seriously doubt they are witholding sales on the monitor to promote free sync. Specially after final reveal of the wet fart generation that is AMDs 3xx series.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I got mine right after it stopped being under review/unavailable in amazon around august and it came out almost perfect. Good thing too because shipping it back for an RMA would have been horrible.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dad used my pc while I was gone for a few weeks on work related things, now he wants a brand new computer because it felt so fast vs his. I built his computer not that long ago, it has everything he needs. Plenty of ram, a processor more than adequate for what he uses it, and a ssd. I'm thinking that he only felt it was that much smoother because his monitor is a hunk of junk from a premade sams club computer he bought like 8 years ago. No way in hell am I getting him a xb280hu though.

Now, what sort of monitor should I get for him? Around 24-27 inch, 1080p, more than 60hz would be better, none of that gamer poo poo, IPS preferred .

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Can you have a freesync monitor working in parallel with a gsync one? I'm thinking of getting a second monitor but my first one is a gsync one. That way I'm not completely saddled to nvidia when I decide to switch to ATI

if so any recommendations for a 27inch 1440p thats good for gaming?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

DrDork posted:

I think he means a setup where he has a NVidia card connected to two monitors, one of which is GSync-compatible (and probably not freesync-compatible if he already has said monitor), and the other of which is Freesync-compatible, and he wants to run both at once.

I honestly have no idea if/how that would work. In practical terms it might not matter much, since presumably you'd only be gaming on one monitor at a time, and so you could just disable *sync on your non-gaming monitor.

Yeah thats what I mean, and yeah thinking about it there is no reason why I'd run both monitors on adaptive sync at the same time since I only game using one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Benqs ex2780q is on sale on amazon right now for $400, would it be ok to get it over the nixeus if you dont care about the fake HDR? Is the panel itself better than the nixeus and worth the extra dosh?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

K8.0 posted:

It uses an Innolux panel, so it's a little worse on the whole but may have better QC. Personally I'd just buy the Nixeus. If you do want the Innolux panel, there are cheaper options that are probably just as good.

Went ahead and ordered the nixeus then, thanks for the recommendation! Should be here on friday, really need it for work/play

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just got mine and yeah its a great monitor. The colors and blacks are way better than my old acer and it cost less than half than what I did for the xb270hu I bought like 4-5 years ago.

I dont know about response though, probably have to play more games to find that out but so far I like it a lot

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

My nixeus edg 27 power brick died and now I'm back to just one monitor. Feels like poo poo, hope it gets here before friday.

only lasted a bit over a year.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I bought a cheapo nixeus to go with my old acer gsync one at the start of the pandemic in 2020 and Im wondering if I should buy a gigabyte monitor to swap as my primary.

The nixeus works fine, id still use it as my secondary one. Id take the acer to my office to use for work since all they gice us 1080p junk from dell.

-e went ahead and bought it since the built in kvm is going to make my life a bit easier the days that I telework

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 19, 2022

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Man id buy that oled but Im like 3 weeks from moving and Id rather be in my new apartment before i do any modifications to my gaming setup

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

butt dickus posted:

keep it in the box until you move?

:hmmyes:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I bought the china panel. Gonna replace one of the two monitors on my home setup and take the excess monitor to put at my work office

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp screen came in shattered badly, dont know if I should order another one

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah the SDR content on the monitor doesnt look good but games look great.

And yeah I got the chinese screen and setting it up im like "Why does everything look so drab on the monitor" until I turned on genshin and proceeded to get my eyes melted at the loading screen with how bright the monitor got. Have to go through each game to fix the brightness. Had to up the saturation a tiny bit up using the windows calibration

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pretty satisfied with the cheap HDR AOC monitor. Not necessarily for SDR content, but it does feel like it over delivers in HDR content for that price

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The AOC Q27G3XMN, that $260 1440p 180hz VA monitor with a mini-led backlight that's been getting some buzz lately, has been reviewed by TFT Central and RTINGS now, and both reviews are fairly positive:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/aoc/q27g3xmn
https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc-q27g3xmn

The first concern with VA monitors is always dark-level smearing, and this monitor does pretty well in that regard. Response times are pretty reasonable and there's much less smearing than what you find on most VA panels. The mini-LED backlight only has 336 zones, but it seems pretty effective at enhancing contrast anyway with the ratio going to around 10,000:1 in checkerboard tests and over 100,000:1 when there's more distance between bright and dark parts of the screen. Accuracy seems alright though not perfect too.

The biggest potential dealbreaker is that RTINGS reported "a bit of flicker" when VRR is enabled. They don't really give more details than that though, so it's hard to say how frequent or noticeable it will be. TFT Central again says they saw "a bit" of flickering with local dimming enabled on static screens (and RTINGS' test is a static image with heavy frame rate fluctuations) but not dynamic content for some reason. Honestly not sure what to take from this. I think most people will be okay with this or not notice it at all if it only happens lightly during specific types of scenes. My Neo G7's backlight only tends to lightly flicker during load screens with dark backgrounds for instance, which is soundly in "who cares" territory for me.

Overall, at $260, it seems like a pretty solid entry point to HDR gaming.

edit: Also Monitors Unboxed reviewed the Acer XV275K P3, a 4K 160Hz IPS with a 576-zone backlight that usually sells for around $600 (currently $550 at best buy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yA9mzfjjs

Some goons have already bought this one, and I recall some liking it and others not. The on-screen display seems terrible to use, and the process of switching into and out of HDR seems tedious as hell, which is probably the biggest issue with the monitor. If you want a "cheap" 4K HDR display though and can tolerate the buggy and frustrating OSD, it could be an option.

Yeah, from personal experience the monitor punches way above its weight when gaming and on hdr content. Really pleased with the purchase other than the first one coming in cracked from UPS but thats on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LNwECZXEdg

Hardware / monitor unboxed had already sang praises to the cheapo AoC HDR display but heres a recent video where they basically say that its best bang for your buck you can get right now.