Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it silly to try finding a 24 inch monitor that looks nice for gaming? My hardware revolves around 1080p gaming. Higher refresh rates would be nice though. But all the mumbo jumbo of the OP is making me doubt the potential 5 star candidates on newegg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Better colors sounds kinda cool, my Target-bought Acer has sorta a bland display, noticeable when I'm playing certain games with a lot of blacks.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

You should play with your color settings too. Sometimes that's caused by having your brightness too high or your contrast/saturation too low.
Yeah i'll check this out. Not very many options to fuss around with on the monitor, but we'll see.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also it depends on the sort of games you play and hardware you have. If you play lots of fast paced FPS games then a high refresh rate monitor might be worth it as long as your hardware can run those games at a high frame rate. If you play strategy games, MMOs, MOBA games and so on then an IPS monitor is going to be better. IPS is also better for general use like web browsing and work related stuff because the picture on IPS monitors tends to be better period.
The quickest game I'm playing right now is Overwatch. My other FPS games are generally slower paced. I suck at twitch-like reflexes and CS:GO scares me, so maybe I don't need a huge refresh rate? My current hardware is fantastic for 60fps 1080p gaming, but I cant imagine my frame rates would go all the way to 144, let alone 120?

This is going to be a really stupid question/comment but, what monitor comes closest to a MacBook Pro Retina display? I basically never cared about monitor quality until I got this laptop, and christ everything looks so bland comparatively. I know Retina screens have overkill resolution as part of their charm, but sharpness aside, photos look fantastic on here. But how much of that is my brain thinking "glossy=cool"? Because it always does look quite nice.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

All the displays Apple uses are IPS or OLED, though you only really see OLED on small screens like phones. Part of why the colors "pop" so well on retina displays is indeed the glossy coating, you don't really see glossy coating on PC monitors because of the glare issues but good IPS monitors do have very light anti-glare coatings and will certainly look much better than your older TN display. The closest thing I can think of to a retina display at 1080p would be something like the Dell U2414H which has a very high quality IPS panel and a light anti-glare coating.

I see the U2414H for 50 dollars less on amazon, but it's a refurb. Seller has a 97% rating. How much am I playing with fire?

e: Lol never mind, someone swooped it. Come show yourself, goon.

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 6, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The closest thing I can think of to a retina display at 1080p would be something like the Dell U2414H which has a very high quality IPS panel and a light anti-glare coating.

I've had this for two days now since you've recommended it. Picture is great and the build quality is great; sturdy but real sleek. I'm a fan. Thanks pal

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Are Dell G-Sync monitors generally good? I see ASUS and others have their own offerings, but I really hate gamer aesthetic nowadays.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DGR-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0 seems like a decent price for 27 inches.

I'm coming from a Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor, 24 inches. I want to use this new monitor for gaming. Am I going to benefit from G-Sync if my GPU is a GTX 1070 and my CPU is a i7 8700?

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 2, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The Dell ones use TN panels, granted very, very good quality TN panels but TN nonetheless. The Acer XB271HU bmiprz and Asus PG279Q use IPS panels and will look a bit better than the Dell head on and obviously have much better viewing angles, they are a good bit more expensive so it's up to you if you feel IPS is worth it.

Gsync has benefits for just about any configuration, but you see the most benefits most in lower frame rate situations where it smoothes out the sharp frame rate transitions you would see under normal Vsync, like snapping between 60FPS and 30FPS because you went from 62 FPS to 58 FPS during a scene.

IPS has been nice so far when it comes to viewing angles, but the quality of the image or colors didn't seem to do much for me compared to my old acer TN. Everything looks like poo when compared to my macbook retina screen.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
What’s the consensus of buying used monitors off amazon from third party vendors? S2716DGR if it helps.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Gerdalti posted:

I use DF these days and like it. What's UWs?
uwu :nyoron:

I eventually sprung for that one dell 27 inch gsync. I’ve literally never seen high refresh rate in action so I’m kinda excited for it to arrive so I can fire up Prey on it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
guys 144hz is *so smooth* holy crap

Can I watch TV shows/Netflix movies or whatever with that same silky smoothness or does it not work that way?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Man are there any 1440p +120Hz OLED HDR monitors that don’t look insufferably cringe?

It’s bad enough with video cards but I just stick those in my unlit, windowless case. The few of the monitors I’m looking for have back panel lighting, cringe stands, and even one of them lights some dumb silly pattern onto the desk itself.

My Dell S2716DG from 2017 fit the bill perfectly as a professional looking monitor.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Rusty posted:

The Alienware I got allows you not only to turn off the back lighting, but also the power button light, in all functions. It's great.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Mount the monitor on an arm and turn the lighting off on the back of the monitor, op :shrug:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gr95qe-b

ah good to know. I cynically thought that this was like my previous GPU where the RGB was generously included, but putting a 3 cent physical switch on the card was a costly bridge too far.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

god please help me posted:

I was going to suggest this one but then I noticed that even this one has some rgb in the back. Pixio is about one of the only brands I know that don't do the fork feet tripod thing, and it's nice to be able to put things on top of the flat base.

I mean as long as the RGB on the back can be disabled. That’s a very nice office looking monitor though that wouldn’t be embarrassing to own :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I had the stupid ASUS ROG angry googly eyes or whatever it’s supposed to be appear during boot of my computer and I realized way too late into that motherboard’s life that it could be disabled.

Gamer aesthetic is a blight.