Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I asked over in the PC Building thread and they gave me some guidance as well as pointing me here. With working a ton of overtime, I figured I would treat myself to a new monitor. The dilemma: I can either buy a decent 120hz monitor or one the vast array of Korean IPS monitors on Ebay. I game exclusively with a little bit of internet. Any suggestions? :)

edit: figured this may help with suggestions but I'm shooting for a budget of $400-500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Right now I have a 7870 OC'd a decent amount. I'm not opposed to doing Crossfire if needed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I was going to drop in and let people know I decided on a 120hz monitor but it lasted 10 minutes before either the backlight or the inverter went out :( At least for the 10 minutes I had it, it was awesome.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for the heads-up bacon! I guess I HAVE to pick one up now....

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thinking about picking up a dell s2340m to add to my group of monitors- how does it compare to something like the u2312hm? Especially for gaming.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Also have to through out some love for 120hz gaming. Picked up on of these (http://tinyurl.com/2fc8r8u) refurbished on Amazon for around $150 and haven't looked back :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You absolutely don't need to maintain 120 FPS for a 120/144hz monitor to look good. The higher refresh rate comes into play pretty much any time your FPS breaks the 60 mark. FWIW, I have both a 120hz and a decent IPS and the IPS is more pleasing for non-FPS gaming.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Does anyone in the thread have a Qnix 27"? Im thinking about stepping up to 1440p and from what I can find they are both cheap and well reviewed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for the quick responses! I am more then willing to take it apart to fix any issues, so I know where part of my next paycheck is going :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Wasabi the J posted:

It's also a huge boost to the immersion factor. I had triple 120's when I was getting really into gaming and I still miss the smoothness of it. I'm not competitive and I could INSTANTLY tell if my monitors were in 120hz or 60hz.

It's really something else to game on 120hz. I don't like the dismissive attitude that people have about high refresh monitors, either waving away the benefits as marginal or even being completely misinformed ("the human eye can't SEE 120hz!").

Is 120hz going to make you a better player? Probabaly not as much as practice. It will, however, be a very unique and is a potentially intoxicating sensation.

To build on this, you don't NEED to drive 120 fps to make a 120hz monitor worth it. I am definitely underpowered for that (using a 7870) and games are still crazy smooth.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

1gnoirents posted:

I get annoyed as gently caress if I'm not at a solid fps with the lowest variance possible. I.e. underpowered for the refresh is simply not for me. I actually choose to cap fps even though I have a 96+ refresh right now to increase playability. Also its kind of a magic screen tearing fix as well

To each their own is what I'm getting at haha

It doesn't hurt that the most 'graphically intense' game i've played lately is Dark Souls 2, so it's pretty darn easy to maintain solid fps :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Bonobos posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1c41c67ceb

Is this display the recommended display as far as Korean monitors go? I'd like to over lock the sucker... I'd like to know before I pull da trigger?

Someone else will correct me if I'm steering you wrong, but the one you selected is the "multi" input one, go for this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/QNIX-QX2710...=item1e876ecd0b

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Cross posted from the PC Upgrading thread, but can someone post the link to the HP monitor stands everyone is using for the Korean IPS monitors? I think they were HP stands if that helps...

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Picked up one of those "used refurbished" 2560x1440 Korean monitors on eBay for 175$. I don't think mine has ever been touched before. No dead pixels, no backlight bleed, no issues at all. I only slightly regret getting glossy because MY GIRLFRIEND makes jewelry in the same room as my gaming setup and it's like a mirror with all the super-bright lights she uses...

It's a tough call gaming-wise whether I'll use this or the 120Hz, but my current desk only has room for the one monitor so I guess the IPS wins for now

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 30, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

tesilential posted:

Could you please link the one you bought? Have been debating between a new one for $350+ or the new 24" ultra sharp at $300+, but I'd roll the dice on that deal tonight.
This is the one I ended up getting. http://preview.tinyurl.com/jw2cgfm Looks like it is at $179 now which is still hella cheap. Don't know if I hit the jackpot or not but mine is basically perfect. Bezels are a little large but I am only rolling with the one screen right now so it doesn't bother me at all.

SwissCM posted:

Can you check to see if it's overclockable? Some of those korean monitors can be pushed to 120hz (or at the very least, 96hz). If it only has a dual-link DVI input then it likely is.
Sure! I'll have to do some research on how to do it with an AMD video card but I will definitely try!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Don Lapre posted:

This stand fits them perfectly (other than not being tall enough for portrait

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR22w-21-5-LCD-Monitor/dp/B00HES611S

THANK YOU! I asked a couple threads for this exact thing earlier and I think it got missed.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What is a good Vesa monitor stand for my 1440p? I could have sworn I saw a couple suggested in the thread and I may have even commented on the link, but I can't find it on my phone....

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DrDork posted:

Depends on how fancy you want. If you just want a basic, solid stand with decent adjustability (tilt, height, swivel, rotate), you can grab one of the HP stands for $20-$25 shipped.

Awesome! That is the one I saw before, thank you! Probably pull the trigger on this one Friday.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Rabid Snake posted:

I went in for a cheap refurb Korean 1440p (TOPSYNC 2710) monitor at $179 off ebay. I'll report once it arrives also.

Exact same one I got and posted about before. I don't know if I hit the panel lotto, but mine is flawless and no dead pixels. Scratch on the stand but I honestly don't know if I or possibly my cat did that or if it came that way?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Rabid Snake posted:

Does this model overclock? I highly doubt it because it was so cheap, and I don't mind running at 60HZ, but having the ability to overclock would be nice.

I'm not 100% sure. I'm running an r9-290 right now and I haven't run into an easy tool to overclock monitors using AMD. (Although if someone has a link to one or a guide of some kind I'd be willing to test.) Hypothetically it COULD be overclocked because it is a bare bones DVI only model, but I haven't tested yet (or found anything online from people that have).

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dapper Dan posted:

So I'm in the market for a new monitor. I've got a 270x 2gb card and I'm wondering if a 1440p monitor is the way to go, even though I am unsure if my card can support it. I don't plan on upgrading for at least two years, but I really need a new monitor because I am getting sick of my old TN panel's viewing angles.

My budget is around $350 (but I can go 50 - 100 over if necessary). My original monitor purchase was going to be the Dell U2515H, but the cheapest price is about $370 and there are larger, higher quality monitors for that price. So I'm pretty much at a loss. I'm going to use it for gaming, movies and school/work. So all purpose. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Your card can/will support it (unless your card has REALLY weird outputs). As a highly satisfied owner of a Korean 1440p monitor I recommend then to everyone that listens. You will need to turn settings down at 1440p with that card, but IMO the higher resolution offsets the slightly lowered details. I'm on my phone, but I'm sure there is a "270x at 1440p" review/benchmarks either in a regular website or on YouTube :). One big plus of 1440p for me is getting to turn down AA which is particularly rough on mid range cards like the 270x.

Edit: zeldadude I just saw your post. Same situation as above. 1440p is the sweet spot for 27" monitors, 1080p is a little too low res for a 27" that you will be sitting close to aka a computer monitor.

Captain Yossarian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 20, 2015

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Dapper Dan posted:

That pretty much makes up my mind then. I'm considering getting the BenQ GW2765HT since it is currently sitting at $359 at Amazon, which is comparable to the Korean monitors at that price point.

EDIT: Or the ASUS PB278Q which is about 60 bucks more, but seems to be less risky.

I would get the Asus if anything, I don't think the BenQ is IPS.

Edit: I stand corrected, newegg says that the BenQ is IPS, Amazon doesn't say either way.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Zorilla posted:

In addition to their product lineup table near the bottom that shows the panel technology used in each of their models.

Lol yeah im so used to IPS being in the description I didn't expand the features on the App. Phone posting!! :arghfist:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DrDork posted:

So, uh, I didn't notice this came out: Acer G257HU. 25" 1440p IPS for $250. Apparently it's "flicker free" (no PWM), too. There's also a "thin frame" version, the H257HU, for about $350. No VESA mount and the stand is tilt-only, but the Amazon reviews are quite good, and nowhere reputable seems to have "official" reviews up yet.

Acer's really coming out swinging these days, aren't they?

drat, that seems like a GREAT deal unless I'm missing a glaring weakness...

Don't care about the bad stand since I'm using a Korean IPS and I sincerely doubt the stand is worse then that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

haximus prime posted:

I'm about to purchase a Dell U2412M, I want an affordable IPS that "looks like" my older macbook pro's display colorwise. So I figured I would look into IPS displays.

Anyway I have some questions about the whole thing. The monitor will be used for games and I've kind of optimized my desktop cost-wise for 1080p (the good i5 and a 970) so I was wondering if the change in aspect ratio and the 120 extra pixels will be noticeably more taxing on the hardware? Also the response time for the monitor is 8ms, which compared to my current monitor is 3ms slower, would this too be noticeable to an average person?

I'm aware that 120 more pixels and 3 ms increase in response time look like extremely small numbers but I'd get super butthurt if all the stuff I played vsynced to 60fps cannot do that anymore as well run the idea of "4 year old dell monitor" by the thread.

to the goon below me, thank you
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Others have chimed in, but FWIW the 970 and an i5 would be fine for 1440p too, if you wanted an excuse to step up in resolution.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

DaveSauce posted:

Right...it's just that the Amazon listing showed it as LCD instead of LED, when it is in fact an LED because it's LED-backlit. I'm over it!

Back to things: Now I'm looking at this guy: Asus PB278Q

Anyone have any thoughts? Seems very well reviewed, and while it's more than I want to spend, it seems to be the cheapest option at that level of size/quality/features.

I know I know, it's not a goddamn QNIX. Let's pretend those don't exist and that I want to get a monitor with a solid warranty/return policy and a good build quality.

My friend, you should just buy a qnix :shrek:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FaustianQ posted:

Alright, going to go with the Asus 27" IPS for 430$. It's overall cheaper than getting a QNIX or Crossover and suddenly needing an active adapter, plus warranty. I don't get motion sick or have any issues with my current 60hz monitor, so :shrug:

Looking a bit deeper there seems to be a 2012 and a 2014 model, with the 2014 model being superior. I can't seem to find the 2014 model, so I'm wondering if it's just that the photos for it on amazon/newegg have never been updated, and I'll get the 2014 model. If not, can I get Asus to replace a 2012 for a 2014 model?

Not trying to talk you out of the Asus, but why would the Qnix or Crossover require an adapter? Did you settle on a GPU yet?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BurritoJustice posted:

I think he is referring to the new AMD cards lacking DL-DVI without an activate adaptor (and no overclocking).

Ahh gotcha, that's why I asked on the whole "did you settle on a GPU" since he was asking for advice in the PC Upgrading thread too :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
On the flip side that is REALLY drat cheap

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Parker Lewis posted:

Is it ever worth trying to sell/ship a used monitor on eBay or should I just stick with Craiglist / local sales?

I have a 1.5 year old 1440p 27" Benq that I'd like to get rid of but I didn't keep the original box; I think that places like UPS Stores and FedEx/Kinko's can wrap/package a monitor but I'm guessing that wouldn't be cheap on top of whatever the shipping price would be.

I have sold and shipped a couple monitors via Ebay and while I've not had any buyer problems, the cost involved is prohibitive. Unless you are charging 100% of the shipping and packaging, I'd say go local. poo poo even IF you did I'd still say go local, I only went eBay since I live in a smaller city and wasn't having any luck.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Wulfolme posted:

I will make a loudness war etc. effortpost in here. Don't you push me.

Whoa whoa whoa everybody just settle down here we don't need this to get out of hand... :classiclol:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My Korean is glossy as hell and it's a nice mirror to remind myself how fat I've gotten after my surgery? That's a plus to glass I guess

Edit: I'm fat now :(

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Fairly vague question, but I didn't actually see a TV megathread... : will I notice a downgrade in size if I go from 42" to 40" at about 5'? I'm guessing no, but the new TV is significantly higher quality.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

taqueso posted:

Probably won't be a big deal, but I imagine you will notice for a little bit at first.

The HDTV thread is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523461

Thank you, and thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I am an idiot

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
You can get cheap or you can get good. TN is cheap but not good.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Mazz posted:

If you are willing, the off grade Qnix was both cheap and good for a lot of us.

Good point, the Korean IPS is what I have and it was both cheap and good. Mea culpa

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wow, 1440p Ultrawides are stupid expensive. I'm thinking I'm going to have to settle for a 1080p one.

I missed it before, but why not get a regular 1440p? From eyeballing, I wouldn't want a 1080 uw, but you know your own use case.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BurritoJustice posted:

Buy an Acer XB270HU. Accept no substitutes.

This is definitely my suggestion too, I use a Korean IPS, but I'd I had the extra $ (and an Nvidia GPU), I would go for the Acer XB270HU too :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

KakerMix posted:

It's a gsync monitor and thus only has 1 input, which is display port. There is no way to use HDMI as it doesn't exist on this monitor.

An HDMI to displayport adapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Well his question WAS "is there any way?" not, is there any cheap way and the answer is yes, you can get an adapter but they aren't cheap necessarily