Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Fingers McGee posted:

Looks like Best Buy now has the AOC G2460PG 24in G-Sync in stock and on sale for 339. My current IPS is AOC so I like the brand I'm checking and reviews are favorable, what the thread think?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-g-sync-24-led-gaming-monitor-black-green/1445028.p?skuId=1445028
I am looking for a similar thing (secondary monitor for gaming) and so far I've found the AOC G2460PF (which I think is the same screen but no G-sync) and the Acer GN246HLBbid. I have an nvidia card but am leaning more towards the AOC because of talk of ghosting and higher latency in the Acer in some reviews. If I am missing anything or if there are some other options that I have missed I would appreciate any help.

e:
AOC - https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-G2460PF-24-Inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B01BV1XBEI/ref=sr_1_5?tag=amazon0920-21
Acer - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-GN246...ords=acer+144hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I'm planning a notable PC upgrade that will let me upgrade to doing 1440 gaming. Some checks suggests that the Dell S3222DGM is a good choice for this. If I go for that am I going to end up regretting not paying the extra for something fancier, like OLED or ultra wide? I plan on running 2 screens anyway so ultra wide feels extravagant. Are there any extra options that I should be considering?

It will mostly be used for gaming at my desk, with some video watching.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

PirateBob posted:

Can't regret the absence of something you haven't experienced. OLED is far superior to everything else for gaming, IMO. Once you've gone for it, it will be hard to go back. Ultrawide is nice too, but two 16:9 monitors will give even more real estate. There's now some pretty good OLED ultrawides out there though, if you've got the money.
It's a tricky choice. It seems like the AW3423DWF is the go to OLED ultrawide screen of choice. It's just over twice the price which leaves me with quite the dilemma, especially since double screening then would feel like massive overkill. It's a shame there are no 16:9 32 inch OLEDs.

I love, but also hate upgrading things! There are just so many variables. I'll have to take some measurements of my desk and think about what I really need from my screen and what my budget can stretch to. Thanks.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think he wants 1440p though, and the 32" OLEDs are 4K.

In any case, the S3222DGM is not a good monitor and I'd recommend you avoid it. It uses a mediocre VA panel with lots of smearing and lovely viewing angles. I'd normally recommend the Gigabyte M32Q instead, but it appears to be out of production and sold out everywhere. Still, there are bound to be IPS panels that are better. I'd much rather roll the dice on something like this which is not only a lot cheaper but almost certainly a better monitor in most ways than that Dell one.
Yeah, I'm in the process of buying a house so my budget is somewhat restrictive. I'd love to splurge on a 4k screen but, given that my PC wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, I don't want to pay the premium for something I won't benefit from.

That being said, the ultra wide Alienware OLED at £750ish is tempting enough that I might stall buying the screen until I can pick something like that up. We will see how smoothly the move goes and whether there's enough left to push the boat out or whether I should take the cheaper option suggested. I appreciate the rec and the steer away from the bad Dell screen.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I'm trying to pick a monitor arm, but I'm considering getting an ultra wide I'm hesitant to pick one and then have my monitors not fit nicely side by side.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Any thoughts on this screen as a cheap option whilst I wait for OLED prices to drop a little?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I'm still not entirely sold on the price tag of an OLED screen, even if I do really want to take the chance, this deal might be what ends up breaking my resolve though. It's still very expensive, and I'm not sure my 4070 super will be able to fully utilise it, but it's tempting. Quick, somebody talk me out of it before pay day arrives!