Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, I just actually received the second refurbished unit today, though I haven't opened it yet to see what it looks like. It was just really disappointing. When I first bought the AW3821DW, when I received it, the box had been beaten to poo poo and looked like FedEx had used it as a stress relief, and not surprisingly, the screen was cracked. In that instance, they did send out a replacement that was brand new in box. So maybe I used up my one free New in Box and now it's refurbished from here out?

That was the other thing holding me back from the AW3225QF - if I did need to use the warranty, what if it ended up being like what I'm going through now. :argh:

Then you keep bitching at them and you keep getting something else day or two later. Imagine if a couple bad replacement gigabyte monitors meant 2-3 months without.

Personally my AW3420dw developed a red pixel after 2 years and what I got to replace it wasn't new but was flawless other than a scratch on the rear. I didn't look at the stand because I didn't even unwrap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

owl_pellet posted:

Currently I have a ~24" 1080p 60Hz Asus monitor that I use with my desktop. I just started a new remote job today and I received a laptop with dock. I would like to pick up two new monitors to use with a KVM for both the laptop and my desktop. My budget is ~$250 per monitor, and I would like to get the biggest ones I can within budget. I don't play games very much on the desktop, so it is unlikely that I will upgrade it anytime soon. But in case I do, I think at least 1440p and >60Hz would be preferable for future-proofing when it comes to gaming. Dell monitors seem to be highly regarded in this thread, so I went to their website and found this:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-monitor-s2721ds/apd/210-axkp/monitors-monitor-accessories

Does that look decent? Keep in mind they will be mostly used for work, web browsing, and light gaming.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a dual monitor DisplayPort KVM with at least 2 USB ports?

Is there anything else I should consider when it comes to monitors and/or KVMs?

Multimonitor is an option a lot of people like but if you haven't already you might consider a single ultrawide. I also work remotely and do a lot of video calls. Dell sent me one of these for evaluation last month and it's been really nice not just for the size but it can handle 2 inputs with full kvm function. I know it's a bit more but if it replaces 2 other monitors and also a KVM it might make sense.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-34-curved-video-conferencing-monitor-p3424web/apd/210-bgmm/monitors-monitor-accessories

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Kibner posted:

If you are ok with 4k ultra-wide, there is the Dell U4025QW.

Will report back when it shows up but I expect it's pretty good.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I'm looking for a monitor to use for work. I hate multiple monitors (i'm a huge weirdo i know) and just want to be able to pin stuff side by side on one big one. Right now I have a whatever lovely 25in HP that i got at my old work that they didn't want back, but I NEED MORE SPACE. I was thinking a 34in ultrawide will do the trick. I don't need it to play video games or anything although it might be nice for my partner to plugin the macbook pro and play some baldur's gate on the thing (she probably won't though).

Is this good/bad? Other suggestions?

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/uhd-and-wqhd/34-viewfinity-s50gc-ultra-wqhd-100hz-amd-freesync-hdr10-monitor-ls34c502ganxza/

It's a VA panel which generally is good to avoid for monitor use. It's expected in this price range though. I'm also a big fan of that aspect ratio for work and am currently using a https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-34-curved-video-conferencing-monitor-p3424web/apd/210-bgmm/monitors-monitor-accessories for that. I have been a fan of Dell monitors for years. The 3 year warranty has been nice and I just swapped a 2.5 year old Alienware out for what was essentially an otherwise new one with a nick on the back. An easy to overlook feature is their tendency to integrate the power supplies.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I want to say the gtx 1000 series had a bug where a mismatched refresh kept it from clocking down but it still was possible is slightly noisier at idle.

I'll also echo my previous warnings about a VA panel, doubly so on a gaming focused monitor.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If anyone posts the details of my seed unit online i'm going to loving freak out

Clocked about 30 hours in front of it and can say that my 40" seed unit met expectations. Blacks are better than I expected to see on a non-OLED and text is crisp. Colors are very...neutral. Seems really accurate but nothing jumps out. On my previous 34" I needed to use glasses if I was working on scripts or spreadsheets for long but it's not the case with this. The extra size and sharpness makes all the difference. Some review I read said the stand is too weak to hold it up but that wasn't the case with mine. The only flakey thing I have noticed is that the thunderbolt port is supposed to supply 140w and does most of the time but I have been testing a laptop which needs 130w and once in a while it complains the charger is not up to spec.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What's a good replacement for a set of side-by-side 21" 1920x1080 monitors?

The above is my current work setup with mail/tasks/documentation on the left panel and code on the right. I figure I can replace them with a single (curved?) ultrawide display with split-screen windows, so I'm looking at 34" 3440x1440 monitors. This isn't specifically for gaming, and my current PC can probably only drive that at 60 Hz anyways.

The main motivation for updating is moving to a smaller desk where I have to squeeze into 36".

Edit: I've always used Dell monitors in the past, is Dell generally still high quality?

Edit edit: Are flat (non-curved) 34" ultrawides going away? Samsung has one but it's the only one I see. I'm not convinced that a curved monitor is good for coding. Also I'm trying to hide this in a recessed panel when not in use and so the smaller depth as possible (with a VESA mount) the better.

Wouldn't completely write off any curved display. The amount of curve varies a lot. My previous monitor was a Dell P3424WEB. It's a 34" with a curve of 3800R which is practically flat.

It was great for work and I'd still use it if I didn't get a free upgrade. FWIW my desk is about that size as well.

https://3dinsider.com/monitor-curvature/

quote:

For example, the LG 34UC79G-B is just 1.6 inches in depth, according to the official specs. This puts it on the same level as regular flat monitors regarding thickness and translates to a relatively smaller footprint.

Since 3800R curved displays have a thinner chassis, they don’t stick out too much when mounted on the wall. This is great because curved ultrawide monitors have a large footprint overall, regardless of the curvature, so many people prefer a wall-mounted setup to save desk space.

Compared to monitors with a much sharper curve, 3800R curved ultrawide displays are more suitable for office work or productivity than gaming.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Anti-Hero posted:

For something of that size I would look at the LG 42 TVs. They are cheaper, but not by much at this point.

That pretty much is a TV without all the smart crap. It even has a remote. Weird but fine refresh rate.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Erwin posted:

I have a $1,750 tech budget to spend and am looking to add more monitors to my desk. I currently have 2x 27" 1440p monitors plus my macbook pro (so three screens). I used to work for a trading firm as a developer/sysadmin and I miss the 4x 1920x1200 life.

I'm trying to decide between an obnoxiously large ultrawide or 2x 4x displays. Either way I plan to move my 2x 27" monitors above for 2x2 or 2 over 1 ultrawide. I'm a developer and still on the infrastructure side so the more real-estate and window-arranging options the better. However in my personal life I am also into photography (Lightroom), video editing (4k, Premiere Pro), and audio stuff (Ableton Live). Lastly, also gaming on a Windows machine. Total computers that will use the monitors at different times: work macbook pro m2 max, personal macbook pro m1 max, windows with (for now) a 2070 super.

I'm thinking the 4ks would allow me to edit and view 4k content at actual 4k resolution (though I guess my macbook pro display lets me do this) but I've never had an ultrawide and it seems like it would be great. Any advice? I do love the colors on the macbook pro displays if that helps - but as far as I am aware I'd get that with any HDR display?

I'm biased against multiple monitors just based on personal preference but for an ultrawide suggestion this is the best display I have ever used when it comes to actual work with some gaming on the side. Might need to stretch the budget a little or find a cash back deal from Amex or something.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-40-curved-thunderbolt-hub-monitor-u4025qw/apd/210-bmdp/monitors-monitor-accessories

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012
I've been using this for everything and it hasn't damaged any laptops or curved ultra wides with a thin-feeling screen. It came with a kit I used to repair my wife's iMac but they sell them separately.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MCROFBR12B/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I ended up pickup a Dell P3424WEB, and I really like it. It's a great side-by-side productivity monitor. The curvature is barely noticeable. Expensive though.

Yeah it's a solid work monitor. Glad you like it. My only very slight disappointment with it was going back to 60hz but I barely play games at the desk these days.