Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i'm in europe, so prices are even more nonsensical over here; the m27q-x can be bought for the same price as the -qd right now

the new msi MAG274QRX sounds interesting too, but it's too new for stock and prices to have settled over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
you can use dsr (dldsr on rtx cards) to create a higher fake resolution to use

i play ff14 comfortably on a 1070 fwiw. vrr picks up a lot of the slack, too

i don't play above 60 because it supposedly messes with the physics and stuff, however

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
buried in a footnote in tiny font size is a notice that vrr won't work for 1440p

but at least you can manually set it to 4k and downsample with vrr which is still pretty great

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
any idea why my msi monitor keeps returning to 60hz all the time, forcing me to open the gamingosd app to fix it manually? i thought all games could only run at 58 instead of 165, but it's just the weird monitor shenanigans

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

runaway dog posted:

I think you could probably coast by on DLSS, but stuff like the new cyberpunk 2077 expansion with raytracing ultra could have you reaching for the performance tier of DLSS (1080p upscaled at 4k) and with amd allegedly pushing to have their branded games only feature the incredibly inferior FSR, you might find yourself annoyed and dropping settings to medium. I stepped up to ultrawide 1440 from normal 1440 on a 3080 10gb and it was fairly a fairly noticeable performance drop in some games.
dlss gets a lot of attention, but don't forget that vrr is your friend, too, regardless of game!

as long as you're not streaming or recording, you're good

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
not bad

https://twitter.com/flatpanels/status/1690032828291923969

(warranty period is two years)

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the hdr + wcg image viewer is great for opening the hdr photos too. shows you all kinds of cool info

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
apple tv is actually very sensitive to hdmi cables of middling quality. worst case is probably you just not getting a signal like with them

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i need to have some work done around my house, and i don't have the cover bags that came with my tv and monitors. i don't live in na, so i can't just order stuff off amazon or whatever, but if it were you in this situation, what would you try to put around them as i move them around a bit? it's mostly to ward off dust and other particles, but i just want to make sure i don't risk scratching the panels obviously

Jack the Lad posted:

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone have any links/resources for stuff to do/test on a new monitor?

Just took delivery and other than UFO test I'm thinking about stuff like sample HDR/4k content and anything I need to bear in mind to make sure DP 2.1 is working correctly etc.
lagom for lcd is decent: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Wibla posted:

HDR is a mess on windows, c/d?
even consoles require some calibration for setting up, but windows definitely makes it more complicated. a lot of it is also down to how much monitors vary in brightness and colour representation, on top of the 10bit hdr vs 8bit frc

even sdr is a mess on windows lol

hdrtray is a really nice tool to switch back and forth and to see which mode is currently enabled

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
see if you can rent a colorimeter, you never know

truhu was supposed to be an affordable solution, but the release of their windows app has stalled by the look of it

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
loved the transitional period where widescreen games would just make people throw up because the devs botched their fov system

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if you only just figured out what ulmb 2 is, bad news: nvidia announced g-sync pulsar today:

quote:

At CES, we also announced two new G-SYNC innovations: G-SYNC on GeForce NOW, and G-SYNC Pulsar technology.

G-SYNC technology comes to the cloud with GeForce NOW, vastly improving the visual fidelity of streaming to displays that support G-SYNC. Members will see minimized stutter and latency for a nearly indistinguishable experience from a local gaming experience.

G-SYNC Pulsar is the next evolution of Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) technology, not only delivering a stutter-free experience and buttery smooth motion, but also a new gold standard for visual clarity and fidelity through the invention of variable frequency strobing. This boosts effective motion clarity to over 1000Hz on the debut ASUS ROG Swift PG27 Series G-SYNC gaming monitor, launching later this year.

No longer will users have to choose between the smooth variable refresh, or the improved motion clarity of Ultra Low Motion Blur (ULMB) – our new G-SYNC Pulsar technology delivers all the benefits of both, working in perfect harmony to deliver the definitive gaming monitor experience.

quote:

For over a decade, our engineers have pursued the challenge of marrying the fluidity of VRR timing with the precise timing needed for effective advanced strobing.

The solution was a novel algorithm that dynamically adjusts strobing patterns to varying render rates. NVIDIA’s new G-SYNC Pulsar technology marks a significant breakthrough by synergizing two pivotal elements: Adaptive Overdrive and Pulse Modulation.

With Adaptive Overdrive, G-SYNC Pulsar dynamically adjusts the rate at which pixels transition from one color to another, a vital technique to reduce motion blur and ghosting. This process is complicated by VRR technology, where the refresh rate fluctuates in tandem with the GPU's output. G-SYNC Pulsar’s solution modulates overdrive based on both screen location and refresh rate—ensuring that clarity and blur reduction are maintained across a spectrum of speeds, and across the entire screen space.

Complementing this, the technology also intelligently controls the pulse's brightness and duration—key to maintaining visual comfort and eliminating flicker. Flickering, often a byproduct of strobing methods used to diminish motion blur, can disrupt the gaming experience and cause viewer discomfort. By adaptively tuning backlight pulses in response to the constantly changing game render rate, G-SYNC Pulsar creates a consistent and comfortable viewing experience, effectively accommodating the display's dynamic nature.

Merging these two adaptive strategies, G-SYNC Pulsar transcends previous challenges associated with enhancing VRR with strobing backlight techniques. Prior attempts have often stumbled, leading to flickering and diminished motion clarity. However, G-SYNC Pulsar’s innovation ensures perfect synchronization between overdrive and backlight pulse with the screen's refresh cycle.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Annath posted:

This might be a truly dumb question, but...

How do I know if HDR is working?

I got a monitor that supports HDR, and immediately turned it on in Windows.

However, I didn't see much of a difference. I used Elden Ring as a benchmark since it has a lot of shining colors and such, and it actually felt like it looked... worse? and the HDR option in the game was greyed out.

I wasn't sure what was going on so I turned HDR off, but then when I launched Elden Ring, it looked notably more vibrant?! And the HDR option in-game was turned on?

But when I turned HDR on in Windows, it went back to looking dull with the HDR option in game greyed out.

So clearly Elden Ring doesn't like the Windows setting, but do I need to test that with every game I play, or is the option in Windows just broken and best left off all the time?
download this both to make it easy to see whether it's on, and for an easy way to flip between hdr and sdr

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
hdr is alright for tv and movies on flatscreens, but gaming remains a mess. ps5 doesn't even require games to use the user calibration for hdr, and it's a complete lottery whether games have been optimized for hgig

final fantasy 7 remake still looks best in sdr

and we still haven't settled on a basic way for tv's to communicate their hdr capability to output devices instead of having to manually calibrate and set up ics profiles and god knows what

hdr for gaming is one of those things i'm more pessimistic about than most things

that being said, it'd be cool if the ux for colour profiles wasn't so bad that i discovered the other day that windows was using the wrong colour profile for both of my monitors for god knows how long, because how a mere mortals supposed to keep up with that kind of stuff

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
main thing to watch out is still whether the subpixel layout is rgb or something worse, since it makes text more unpleasant to read

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
msi have had some pretty significant firmware updates to their optix mag monitors including changes to edid, so it's weird of them to take this stance

if i had to assume some level of competence on msi's part, it's because it's super easy to brick your monitor by turning off the monitor during a firmware update, and they probably have an rma backlog to tell the story

monitors are very much still not a solved problem as far as a bunch of fancy features out there, and this is definitely going to bite them in the rear end

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
wouldn't you be able to change the scaling from being performed by the monitor to the gpu if it's just an edid switch? it sounds neat in theory, and i basically have the inverse form of it through a faked 4k support for 1440p from back when ps5 would only send 1080p if you didn't fake a 4k edid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
tim joins in on the qd-oled vs w-oled discourse for 1440p monitors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVVmuxmPtG8