Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

This is a pretty specific question, does anyone know of any monitor (34" widescreen + usb-c) that is very thin. I want to work overseas for 2 months and plan on taking the monitor instead of trying to buy something local and re-sell it. I'm thinking I could def take something in my luggage if its thin enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I have an Acer Predator X34 GSbmiipphuzx 34" but it flickers when connected to my macbook pro and doesn't switch the USB peripherals when switching between display port and usb-c. Is there a G-SYNC monitor that is 34"-36" wide and can

1. KVM Switch properly when switching inputs (usb-c -> usb-c and usb-a when on display port)
2. USB-C works with M1 2021 Macbook Pro / Mac Mini
3. G-SYNC + high refresh rate. (does this matter?)

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Could you clarify your first point? I have a M27U, and if I hit the KVM switch it switches inputs from my PC's DisplayPort to my M3 Pro's USB C and vice versa, and everything plugged into the USB A ports on the monitor also switches (I have my mouse, keyboard, and speakers plugged into those), but from my reading of 1) it seems like you might want something else? If what I described is what you want though, definitely look into Gigabyte M series monitors, I'm very happy with mine.

However one thing I'd advise looking into with your current monitor is if you're using the right USB C cable and if your monitor has a Type C compatibility setting. I don't get high refresh output from my M3 Pro unless I'm using a USB C 3.0 cable AND I have that compatibility setting turned to "Off." I'm not sure if the specifics, but I'd guess some monitors need to expect the full USB C 3.0 input instead of some generic input (in the case of something like HDMI output to the USBC input? maybe?)

Yea what you describe is what I want. 27" is small for me, ill see if they do an 34" wide.

The cable is right, its a thunderbolt usb-c cable.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Reasier posted:

I have an Acer Predator X34 GSbmiipphuzx 34" but it flickers when connected to my macbook pro and doesn't switch the USB peripherals when switching between display port and usb-c. Is there a G-SYNC monitor that is 34"-36" wide and can

1. KVM Switch properly when switching inputs (usb-c -> usb-c and usb-a when on display port)
2. USB-C works with M1 2021 Macbook Pro / Mac Mini
3. G-SYNC + high refresh rate. (does this matter?)

MSI MEG 342C (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/meg-342c-qd-oled) seems to fit the bill. Any concerns? Im not a fan of qd-oled, will there be burn in?

actually this one -> MSI MAG341CQP QD-OLED (https://www.amazon.com/MSI-MAG341CQP-QD-OLED-Monitor-Response/dp/B0CTRXPJMC/ref)

Ugh, only 15W charging via the usb-c....why would they do this?

Reasier fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 20, 2024

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

MagusDraco posted:

MAG version might lack firmware updates.

Ya I think I'll go with the MEG version, they seem the same but the 65w power over USBC.

edit: They don't really sell this version anymore :(

Reasier fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 21, 2024

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I will be mostly coding with just a little playing of games.

Has anyone used the burn in protection? I feel like that stuff is never usable when the time comes.

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

I found one with everything: Philips - 34M2C8600 34" OLED

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/34M2C8600_27/evnia-curved-gaming-monitor-qd-oled-gaming-monitor

Any known issues? I watched some good reviews on youtube and saw on amazon the top review said it switched between usb-c/usb-a well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reasier
Jan 20, 2022

Holy poo poo this OLED looks good. The blacks are so black.