Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

I recently found out that it's better to have some ambient light behind your monitor. Mine's a 27 inch IPS panel. I'm happy with the colours but the blacks are of course terrible.
Supposedly a little LED strip on the back of the monitor can both improve the contrast (or more like fake it) and reduce eye strain. I did just a little bit of research and it seems like 6500 is the best option but that just sounds so cold and bright.. not exactly what I want in my room at night. Does anyone here use that? Would going with a warmer colour be much worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The point of the backlight is to give an aura of diffuse light around your monitor, and I don't think the exact color temperature matters much. If you were to view dark content in a pitch-black room, you'd very easily see the IPS glow and bad contrast. If you view dark content in a bright room with a light in front of the monitor, then the IPS glow and bad contrast may be a bit harder to notice but the light may will interact with the panel in a negative way (such as a glare, or a haze spread by the matte finish). Backlighting is the compromise option. The image will be a bit less hazy, while your eyes won't dilate as much and the bad contrast will be a bit more hidden. And perceptually, the screen will being darker than the surrounding environment instead of brighter (as in a pitch-black room) helps too.

Maybe whoever said to use 6500K wanted to match your ambient lighting to the standard 6500K white point for the sRGB color space, but that's not really recommended. In fact, if you want to be exact to the sRGB standard, you'd calibrate your ambient lighting to 5000K. But there's no real reason to do that if you aren't trying to have a perfectly calibrated editing workstation. Just use whatever will be most comfortable for you.

Thank you! This makes sense. Do you use some sort of backlight too?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't use LED strips or anything because my current desk/shelving situation would make them not so effective, but I do have an LED lamp positioned nearby at such an angle to spread some soft light around the room without shining any directly onto the panel.

Rexxed posted:

I've got a 6 foot LED strip adhered to the back of my desk. It's USB powered and has an IR remote (the controller is near the USB plug but it's on the edge of the desk where I have it). The one I got has adjustable color temperature and while I used to keep it pretty high color temp I've been leaving it on a softer white recently so I don't stay up so late. Since it's 4am right now that's definitely working...

Anyway I got one branded CobaltX but I don't think they're on sale anymore. It was probably just a random chinese brand anyway so I'm sure if you find a similar LED strip with adjustable color temps it would be fine.

I had the adjustable white version of this:
https://morningsave.com/deals/cobaltx-led-light-strips-with-remote-6-5ft-or-10ft-9

Similar but not the exact same thing:
https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Self-Adhesive-Dimmable-2800K-6500K-Daylight/dp/B0CFDZ7NFN/
https://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Lighting-2700K-6500K-Dimmable-Backlight/dp/B0B979FNF3/

There's a lot of adjustable or dimmable with color temp adjustment. The main tech seems to be that they make them similar to an RGB strip but instead of different colors integrated they have different white color temps and will adjust some up and down depending what you pick for the color. I don't love the infrared remote for mine, it works, but it seems like they make some with RF remotes now. I'd stay away from app controlled or wifi ones but that's personal preference.

Thanks guys, will probably pick something up next week