Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Something to add to the ZR24W which I forgot: The scaler is broken so if you use it for 1920x1080 content, it will stretch it vertically rather than adding black bars top and bottom.

quote:

To make a long story short, I've spoken with the engineers at HP and the scaling issues are a hardware limitation and CANNOT be fixed via firmware update. There is no planned fix for the monitor so 1920x1080 content will remain stretched.

Therefore probably not recommended if you want to use it for consoles.

Also Dell Ultrasharps have the Premium Panel Guarantee. If you get a single bright stuck pixel, you can return it for a new screen, and thats for the life of the warranty.

I have a U2410 arriving next week which I'll use with a Mac Pro/Radeon 5770 so will report back any displayport shenanigans.

Manny fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
The major advantage of an IPS screen like the 2311H is you shouldn't get that big contrast shift depending on viewing angle. I guess the downside of bringing IPS technology down to a more affordable price point is that the build quality and QC probably isn't quite as good as the more premium-priced screens, which could be the cause of the uniformity issues. However I think I'm right in saying Dell has one of the best return policies out there so if you do get a bad one, you can send it back for replacement until you get one you like.

Edit: Did a bit of research - the 'budget' IPS panels aren't quite as good as something like the U2410 (which costs twice as much) for viewing angles, but still a lot better than TNs.

quote:

Viewing angles of the U2311H were generally very good. Being IPS based, you can expect wide fields of view in all directions, also being free from the VA off-centre contrast shift and the obvious limitations of TN Film matrices. Horizontally there was a contrast shift detectable from angles of >45°. Vertically the contrast shift was more pronounced, with a rather obvious change from above, and a slightly less obvious change from below. Nothing too serious, but I did feel it a was a little more restrictive than some other IPS panels. From a wide angle you can detect a purple tint to a black screen which can be fairly common on IPS models, but interestingly not something which was obvious on the NEC 23" equivalent.

Manny fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Dec 11, 2010

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Dammit, I've had a U2410 on order with for the last 2 weeks awaiting stock, and the counters jumped back up to 2 weeks again.

In the UK, it seems buying direct from Dell is always almost more expensive than buying from a 3rd party retailer. I had the U2410 ordered from dabs for £448, yet Dell want £583. And now I can't find any other retailers that have it in stock - could this be a sign that a replacement in the 24" bracket is coming?

There's also the fact that Dell business are doing the U2711 with a big discount for £530 + vat, so £622 in total. So tempting...

Whatever I buy, I eventually want to get another of so I have a pair of matching displays, is 2x 27" actually too much monitor, if there is such a thing? For reference I need them for graphic design/illustrator work and currently have a NEC 26" 1920x1200 and crappy Dell 22" 1650x1050.

Edit: got it down to £577 delivered with 10% discount code...

Manny fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 14, 2010

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Is it any game in particular that does this? I've had some problems in the past with certain games being unable to 'capture' the mouse cursor so you can move off onto the other screen, but I think it's dependant on the game. Gaming and dual monitors is rarely an elegant affair :( Also what OS?

Also, anyone had problems with the AG coating on Dells? I've heard that it is particularly aggressive/noticable on the u2711, and some people go as far as major warranty-voiding surgery to remove it and convert their screen to glossy.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I'm used to matte displays anyway and it's hard to find a place that stocks these models so I could have a look at one.

My dilemma is they're on reduced price sale from Dell Business at the moment, but buying from them as a business voids the UK consumer distance seller regulations, and so my right to send it back within 7 days for any reason.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Fishmasher posted:

I traded my U2211H because of the anti-glare coating. Photographs and video looked great. I really wanted to like it, but any text on a white background was almost intolerable to me because of the AG coating. I think the small dot pitch on the 21.5" makes the effect worse.

It's not that I'm just being overly picky, white documents and forums were actually very difficult for me to read. I've heard that wearing glasses might make the effect worse, maybe that's partially why it bothers some people so much more than others.

Sounds like I'm going to have to get my hands on one to try out. I wear glasses, and do a lot of fine detail text work on white documents. Thanks for the input.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Tunga posted:

Any thoughts?

Edit: Misread some prices, fixed now.

Aren't the U23 and U22 the same pixel resolution - 1920x1080? I'm not sure what other differences are between them than 1 inch.

The problem with finding another identical screen to match your current one is you're not going to have a lot of choice buying new, if you can even find one. You can always run the risk on ebay 2nd-hand, but then you don't have things like warranty/return policy to fall back on. You can also get colour matching issues with screens of different ages/revisions unless you have colourimeter.

As for the AG coating, I just had a U2410 delivered today (might write up a bit on that later) and for me it's not a problem, but I've only ever used matte displays anyway, and so far it doesn't seem noticely worse than those. I'm really pleased with it so far.

I'd look for an online shop with a good returns policy. In the UK you're covered by the DSR so you can return in 7 days for any reason, but only if you're buying as an individual/consumer. I don't think you're covered if you buy from the Dell Business site for example. And nearly all shops won't refund return postage costs if you do return (which is pretty understandable). But it gives you a bit of a trial period.

Remember the VAT increases on the 4th :)

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Tunga posted:

Thanks, I expect it'll be okay, always used matte myself as well. Though I don't think these two models use the same panels?

Sorry, I meant I havent noticed it any worse than any other screen I'd used.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
If you mean to run two monitors, one VGA and ond DVI, from that card - that definitely should be possible. I've done it on my comparitively old 8800GT without issue.

I presume you're using a DVI -> VGA cable or a DVI -> VGA adapter with a VGA cable right now? You should be able to use a straight DVI cable alongside it - I think the Dell screens even come with a selection of different cables too.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
One thing I noticed about the U2410 is it takes a lot longer to warm up/brighten up than my old NEC 2690. The NEC does seem to run a little hotter altogether though.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
It depends a bit what you'll be using it for. I've read reports that the colors on the 2233rz aren't so great, and some panels have had a few backlight bleed problems.

The U2311H will be a nicer monitor in every area, apart from in more twitchy competitive fps games where a 120hz screen will be smoother and have a little less input lag, although to a lot of people feel it's indistinguishable in that area. Some people are more sensitive to it than others I think.

I still have a CRT and I still play competitive fps games, but then I go to my office and use 2 beautiful IPS screens for work, and it's just so much nicer for everyday usage. It's making me question my priorities when it comes to replacing the CRT.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
My CRT is getting to exactly the same point :)

I haven't replaced it out of lazyness but now I'm moving apartments and I think I'd rather scrap it than have to move it up lots of stairs.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Internaut! posted:

I'm considering this sort of rig with 27" or 30" screens:

Questions:

1. Is it a bad idea to rest large screens like these on their bezels as in the above pic?

2. Regardless, is there a vendor who offers a 3-stand for 27-30" monitors in portrait mode? I don't see anything like that from Digital Tigers in those sizes.

I'm doing a project for a financial software company right now, and they do programs for tri-screen units just like this for traders to use, so that kind of stand should definately be commercially available. I'm guessing that could be what's going on in that picture too.

One thing I found with just using a 26" portrait mode was that it felt quite unnatural to be looking up and down rather than left and right. I don't know if it's just me, or something you can adapt to with time.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
NEC still do 21" 4:3 screens but they're pretty expensive.

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=d8151f76-c8c8-4061-9e08-6f4e9d628dfc

Would be cheaper to get a 30" and then a 20" widescreen in portrait next to it.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Arc Impulse posted:

That 25% off is looking pretty tempting now, but the only thing that's stopping me from going ahead and buying it is the fact that it only seems to apply in the Small/Medium Business section. I'm just wondering, is it fine to get one for personal use from the business section, and is there any downsides because of that?

EDIT: Looked into it a bit more on my own. There's apparantly less rights or something by using the business section, so I think I'll pass for now, just in case something does go wrong.

If you're in the UK, I don't think you're covered by the Distance Seller Regulations if you buy from Dell Business, as they only apply to consumers. So you can only return if it has a fault, and I think they're only obliged to fix it or swap it for another under warranty, not sure you can ask for a refund.

I had the same dilemma and and ended up buying from pcbuyit.co.uk which was cheaper than Dell, and which accept returns under the DSR and you still get Dell's warranty and pixel guarantee service.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

archangelwar posted:

So I tried buying this monitor from MacMall with my Visa, and everytime I try to checkout, it sends me to the sign up page for Verified by Visa and won't let me continue. gently caress Verified by Visa, why do they even do that?

I've noticed more sites I use have this. Once you sign up it's just a case of typing in another password every time you purchase, just as another anti-fraud measure.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

movax posted:

drat that's some lovely AG coating :v:

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I'm trying to plug my U2410 into a 13" retina macbook using a 3rd party thunderbolt/miniDP to DVI cable (not the active one that requires USB power) which has worked with another monitor before. The monitor detects a cable is plugged in but there's no signal so it just goes to sleep - the macbook's screen flashes blue as when I've used other external screens but nothing shows up in system info - have I stumbled upon one of those Apple/Dell incompatibilities?

I've tried both ports on the mac and both DVI ports on the monitor and tried various combinations of unplugging/plugging and powering on in different orders.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
I might have to pick up a miniDP/DP cable - only have the fullsize one that came with the monitor - from doing research online though I've heard anecdotal stuff about problems with both DP and HDMI outputs and the advice is to go DVI!

Edit: MiniDP -> HDMI works but is poor quality due to the known bug of thinking the screen is a TV and forcing output to YPbPr instead of RGB.

Edit2: to make things more confusing - I plugged in a friend's Macbook Air (2012 model I think) and it works perfectly using my cable. He's running Lion, I'm on ML...

Manny fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 1, 2013

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!
Updates: swapped my 3rd party miniDP->DVI cable for an official Apple adapter + DVI cable and it works perfectly - seems the rMBP might be a bit more sensitive to the quality of cable you use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

ufarn posted:

I'm still leaning towards getting a U2411H to replace my U2311H, but some have warned that having two different sizes can get annoying. However, I'm planning on placing at different angles like so:

I've always had 2 mis-matched screens, and have found it way more comfortable to have the 'primary' monitor placed directly in front of you with the smaller one angled off to the side.

Currently I have a lovely quality (but way too much input lag for games) NEC 26" on it's stand for my primary screen and a cheap 20" Dell TN on a humanscale m2 mount off to the side but angled towards me. When I'm working, I've got my main focus on the big screen for my artboards in illustrator/photoshop etc and usually put my toolbars onto the 2nd screen as well as email/browser/itunes etc. If I want to play a twitchy-reactions game, I'll turn off the big screen and use the mount to pull the 2nd screen in front so it's directly in front of me and a bit closer.

I used to have them flat side by side but the mount has definitely made it feel more comfortable and I'd highly recommend one. Plus it frees up a load of desk space and you can push the screen out of the way easily for the sake of tidiness when you're not using it.

Manny fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 22, 2014