Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

teagone posted:

Just an FYI, when I got a P2314H its pixel layout was BGR, which is ok for Windows but if you're using Mac OS, you're gonna have to mount the panel upside down in order for it to not look like poo poo.
Not all units are BGR, although some are. The one I picked up last month is RGB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
So my Dell P2314H broke two days ago, only seven months old. It only shows a gray screen when turned on, regardless of what (if anything) is connected. Same with self-test, gray screen. The interesting part of the story is the warranty process:

1. There's no information on warranty except a generic phone number in the manual and this random forum post. In particular, Dell's website is not helpful.

2. Dell assumes that every Dell product has a Service Tag/Express Service Code, but notably, monitors below 27" do not have them. This makes every means of communication with Dell challenging, as even if you call the number listed in the monitor manual, the phone robot won't let you pass without a Service Tag. Have to keep mashing random buttons to reach an operator.

3. Dell assumes they only sell computers, or parts of computers. The support agent, once I finally reached one, was a bit confused or at least put off script by my only having a Dell monitor and not a Dell computer. Once he was able to finally process the service request, the dispatch contained a random Service Tag and the computer model is listed as a "OptiPlex GX270". I think he just put in the Service Tag on his desk machine since he couldn't pass otherwise.

4. I was on the phone for 90 minutes, after reaching a support agent to put though the replacement request. The first half hour was an amusing amount of troubleshooting given that the symptoms of the problem are quite consistent and easy to describe, but that's OK. It took him another hour, during which we were both on mic mute, to actually put through the replacement.

To be fair, the support agent was pleasant and courteous the entire time, to which I reciprocated. He claimed I should receive a replacement panel in 1-2 business days, and as this happened on Friday I'm not expecting any movement until Monday. The only thing that really bothered me about the whole event is that Dell claims on their website (and in that forum post) that the monitor has a three year warranty, while the support agent claimed it was only one year. It didn't matter in this case, but the documentation that came with the monitor didn't specify either way, and it's something that would be helpful to know in the future.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 8, 2015

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
What's a good replacement for a set of side-by-side 21" 1920x1080 monitors?

The above is my current work setup with mail/tasks/documentation on the left panel and code on the right. I figure I can replace them with a single (curved?) ultrawide display with split-screen windows, so I'm looking at 34" 3440x1440 monitors. This isn't specifically for gaming, and my current PC can probably only drive that at 60 Hz anyways.

The main motivation for updating is moving to a smaller desk where I have to squeeze into 36".

Edit: I've always used Dell monitors in the past, is Dell generally still high quality?

Edit edit: Are flat (non-curved) 34" ultrawides going away? Samsung has one but it's the only one I see. I'm not convinced that a curved monitor is good for coding. Also I'm trying to hide this in a recessed panel when not in use and so the smaller depth as possible (with a VESA mount) the better.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 12, 2024

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ah cool, I'll look at the 3800R ones then.

Part of my concern was getting a unicorn now and building a new desk setup around it, being unable to replace it later if needed.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ah cool, I'll look at the 3800R ones then.
I ended up pickup a Dell P3424WEB, and I really like it. It's a great side-by-side productivity monitor. The curvature is barely noticeable. Expensive though.