Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Parker Lewis posted:

Looking to buy a 23 or 24" 1080p monitor, PC is used exclusively for gaming.

I've got a GTX 760 which does well at 1080p60 for everything I've been playing, so my first instinct was to just get one of the ~$200 Dell or ASUS IPS monitors and call it a day.

Then I started reading about 144Hz and LightBoost and everything and while I'm no pro CS gamer I do play a fair amount of FPS and action games. Now I'm considering the $250 ASUS VG248QE 144Hz display and sacrificing image quality for higher framerates. I'd also likely need to buy a second $250 760 for SLI in order to get 100+ FPS in the more demanding games, and hope that everything I play scales well with SLI. (I might also be able to get by with my single 760 for a while as I catch up on older games so I could spread out the expense somewhat.)

Over the past decade I've always preferred to turn down graphics settings for sake of maintaing a solid 60 FPS framerate so going to 144Hz seems like the next logical step, but is it worth the additional expense ($500 144Hz monitor + second video card vs. $200 IPS monitor) and worse image quality of a TN panel?

Maybe the best course of action is buy the 144Hz monitor, see how I like playing some older games at 120/144 FPS on my single 760, and then deciding to double down with SLI or return the monitor and buy an IPS instead.

I have three VG24QE's set up in Nvidia Surround and I'm pretty happy with them. Yeah, all the usual TN caveats apply, and out of the box their colour is really bad even for a TN, but once calibrated (there are plenty of colour profiles online) they provide decent colours, certainly good enough for gaming, web browsing and watching videos.

I've never had an issue with the viewing angles of these panels when they are in landscape (I'm just not very sensitive to it) but I tried the three in portrait mode and the gamma shift was definitely noticeable in the outer monitors, that and the think bezels had me back in Landscape in a hurry.

The big plus is of course 120/144Hz Gaming, which is fantastic and even simple things like moving windows around on the desktop is crazy smooth and pretty much makes every other monitor look slow. Haven't had a chance to play around with Lightboost yet - a lot of people in other forums out there are going nuts for it but I've heard some conflicting reviews. Its pretty easy to enable now with ToastyX's utility as well. All I can say is get one and try it - you'll know pretty quickly if its the monitor for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

So speaking of UW, I just upgraded from a circa late-2015 1st generation Acer Predator X34 to a new OLED G9 and its fantastic for gaming and looks amazing. We will see how it holds up otherwise.

I wasn't sure when I ordered it but my poor amazon basics monitor arm works - but its at its limit and I had to tighten it to the point where it barely moves but it holds. If it was heavier or more curved I'd probably have needed to replace it.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

VelociBacon posted:

Anyone seen this before? I'm on the latest Nvidia drivers, have an M32U where this is happening and a 1440p SDR monitor as a secondary. This happens when I play a game that uses HDR and then close it and go pull up youtube or similar, it feels like the colorspace gets compressed or something, the saturation and contrast *only in the video* gets all hosed up. If I click another tab then click back it's normal for a split second before getting bad again. Here's a screenshot of that split second 'normal' and then what it goes into:

first:

after:

It's not a great look for Steve but yeah what the heck? Again, it's only the video that does this, the rest of the browser, desktop, etc are all as expected.

e: anyone need an av?

I know this was from a few days ago but I was/am having a super similar issue with either of my HDR monitors (G9 OLED and an older 55" LG OLED). Nearest I could tell it was some issue between W11 HDR, NVidia drivers and chromium. For me it would effect any windowed video (YouTube or Netflix etc) but generally go away if I full screened the content. If I moved the window to my SDR monitor the problem would correct itself.

It was annoying enough and none of the "fixes" I found online (forcing an HDR color space or messing with NVIDIA control panel video settings) worked, so I just bit the bullet and moved over to Firefox, which I'd been meaning to do for other reasons anyway. No issues at all there.