Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

VA can boast its contrast but it's a bit of a hollow victory because VA panels all suffer from gamma shift and black crush.

Speaking as a VFX artist, not a single company in our industry uses VA monitors because of its inherent gamma shift and black crush issues. Artists all use IPS monitors. People doing colour critical work like lighting and compositing don't want to be moving their side to side continuously to compensate for gamma shift.

I don't know if VA has improved markedly in that regard, but I have a Sony TV in my bedroom that uses a VA panel and the gamma shift issue is obvious.

Edit:

Just read a Rtings review of a recent Samsung VA monitor

:doggo:

Rollie Fingers fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Encrypted posted:

It's fine in practice though

I don't think the image in the video does a great job of highlighting the gamma shift problem. With my TV I notice the shift even if I move my head a few degrees.

Using a larger VA screen would probably drive me insane if I had to do colour critical work because the vertical viewing angle is so poor. There's no way you'd get more than ~15 inches (stretched quite horizontally) of accurate colour on the screen if you're seated at a reasonable distance.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Cygni posted:

The contrast ratio doesnt bother me a lot on the 83A, personally. I've never owned an OLED TV or phone though, so maybe I would notice more if I had. My reference point is other IPS/VA/TN monitors, and I personally would rather sacrifice the black levels than deal with the other tradeoffs of TN or VA ever again. There are other IPS monitors that have slightly better blacks than the LG NanoIPS panelled monitors, but not outrageously. There isn't one golden magic monitor, just gotta choose which tradeoffs you are ok with.

There is also the possibility that those units getting returned to amazon barely used and resold on the Amazon Warehouse are ones that lost the panel lottery in the first place, and have even worse contrast ratio than usual for the SKU.

FWIW, a decade ago artists in film, commercials and graphic design were creating and compositing all their colour critical work on Eizo and NEC IPS displays that boasted contrast ratios of ~600:1

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Rinkles posted:

You sure? My previous (cheap) monitors are about that age (one's older) and definitely have better contrast ratio than my 83A (which should be better than 600:1)

I am sure because I'm one of the artists that had to use those displays for years.

These are the monitors that every film company used:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_sx2762w.htm (649:1)
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/nec_2490wuxi.htm (632:1 after hardware calibration)

I would say these two probably make up a third or more of all monitors that VFX companies still use to this day.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I'm incredibly picky about colour and gamma, and I believe anyone even semi serious about using their monitor to the best of its abilities should invest in a basic colourimeter like an i1Display Studio or even a used ColorMunki. You only need to buy them once and the difference they make is often huge if the monitor has had a lovely factory calibration and they've set the brightness and contrast too high, thus loving up gamma.

I have an LG 38GL950G which is an expensive screen and has had an adequate factory calibration, but I calibrated it and I now have better greens, better gamma and a luminance of 120 cd.

So calibrate your screens and you'll have accurate colours and an optimal luminance level.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

This guy’s been using the LG CX Oled screen as a monitor for six months and hasn’t noticed burn yet:

https://youtu.be/AhV09HD7Ee0

He says he hasn’t had to babysit it, but he’s still hidden the taskbar and all desktop icons and changes backgrounds regularly.

The part that I’d find ultra irritating is the screen’s burn-in protection auto adjusting brightness regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Would be interesting to know whether these new, large OLED or LED monitors support BFI and Real Cinema options for 24 fps content.

Since so many people watch films/TV on their computer these days, it's time manufacturers started including these features in monitors as well. I love my 38 inch ultrawide but hate the judder from 24 fps material.