Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Are there any recommendations for a 32'' Monitor that is gaming oriented?

I'm leaning into a Samsung option

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-32-I...01081352&sr=8-4

Does anyone have experience with these lower priced monitors like Pixio and Viotek?

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-Profes...1081352&sr=8-10

https://www.amazon.com/GNV32DB-G-Sy...1081500&sr=8-18

I'm open to other options, preferably 400$ and under. not in a particular rush to buy. I'm probably going to be building a new system when the Zen 3 stuff becomes available, wouldn't mind having the monitor to use sooner though.

Is the curved screen a bit of a gimmick like TV's used to be? I think i'd prefer a flat screen but it isn't really a deal breaker, i'm not really concerned about viewing angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
The Samsung QD-OLED TV is really tempting since it's down to about 2100$ for the 65'' model, but i'm already on an LG OLED that is about 2-3 years old and think it's too soon for the upgrade but it looks so nice...

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Maybe wait for the new phosphorescent blue oled material to find its way into retail QD-OLED panels, probably in 2024's models. That might be better enough than the C9/CX to be worth paying a premium price for.

My b6 from around 2015-2016 actually had some burn in effect, I feel partially to blame though for not peeling the plastic on the back, watching news too much in vivid mode, and never using the pixel refresher. Its all screwy trying to display anything yellow or reddish.

Newer BX panel from 2 years ago seems better with pixel shift, I removed all the plastic this time and it doesnt get as hot as the older one. Also not really watching news on it but the logo dimming probably helps. Having experienced OLED its hard to go back to a cheapo TV.

Afaik QD OLEDs dont have the polarizing filter so the panels dont have to be driven hard to generate brightness so i’m even less worried about burn in effects. The S95b is barely more money than the LG too, ill probably stay disciplined though and see what Samsung releases the 2nd version.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

codo27 posted:

you loving monster

In my defense I didnt notice the back peel for a long time since it wasnt easily visible, peeled it off my next TV though.

Peel all the plastic since you definitely dont want heat trapped, especially for OLEDs.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I ordered an Aorus FI32U from Amazon warehouse as "acceptable" condition for just over 500$. Worst comes to worst if there is anything wrong with the screen I can return is relatively hassle free. I've generally had zero issues getting things from Amazon warehouse though so i'm pretty confident. https://www.amazon.com/AORUS-Monito...cs%2C131&sr=1-1

I know the M32U is also basically the same panel but they are also about the same price.

There really aren't many Flat-4k-IPS-32'' high refresh rate monitors to choose from surprisingly, there is an LG model that hovers around 1000$ and a really expensive Asus model.

I've been using an LG VA 32'' 1440p 144hz monitor the last couple of years and while pretty nice for games I feel like the computer I've spent too much money on deserves a screen upgrade. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FLGR2PN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Generally I don’t think a TV screen size can ever be too big but 48’’ for a monitor on your desk is quite massive at normal sitting distances. I think an argument could be made for 42’’ though.

I think that gigabyte model uses an older OLED panel and is quite susceptible to burn in as well, still a strong deal.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Costco started carrying the S95B TV, the 5 year warranty they add is kind of appealing but it apparently doesn’t cover burn-in. The QD OLED shouldnt have an problem but part of me feels like it hasnt been around long enough and I have yet to see one put through a screen stress test.

I’ll probably get one towards the end of the month regardless, only thing really stopping me is an injury preventing me from lifting something even a little heavy for a few weeks.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm receiving the Aorus FI32U tomorrow which is the same panel as the M32U. Taking a slight chance at it via Amazon warehouse, generally have had 0 issues in the past and as long as the screen is good i'll be happy. It'll be backed by Amazons return policy in worst case.

From reviews its a solid 32" 4k 144hz gaming monitor, contrast and blacks aren't great but those are typical IPS things.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
My Amazon "Acceptable" condition Aorus FI32U came in, personally always had a solid experience with ordering with Amazon warehouse, usually the discounts are quite significant, only real downside of the "Acceptable" condition items is that they usually don't have the original box, all the cables and hardware were intact, no issues with the screen, games are looking good. First 4k monitor for me and it'll sort of justify me trying to get a 4000 series card. It was about 550$ after tax which isn't cheap but for a 32'' 4k 144hz IPS display it's pretty solid.

Games looked very pretty and crisp, any ugliness is just my phone camera.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
It was supposed to be a late birthday purchase for me but my excitement turned to tears as my S95B arrived with a huge bend and crack in the top left of the screen as I was removing the foam after getting the stand up. Super annoying to have to repack it all again and wait to replace it, at least Amazon is easy with the returns. I don't think it's really Samsung's fault, TV travelled all the way from Jersey to California so it must've had it rough somewhere.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've got the Aorus FI32U, same panel as that M32U, personally loving it playing games at 4k with an RTX 3080. I don't really notice a huge difference in reading text compared to my 32'' 1440p VA monitor but games do you very sharp. I guess it doesn't have the best HDR but it performs well for me in every game and they all look very good.

I got mine off the Amazon warehouse and haven't had any issues with it for just over 500$ if you're looking to spend less. If there is an issue Amazon returns are pretty easy.

There aren't really that many 32'' IPS 4k high refresh monitors, there is an LG that is about 2x expensive and a very expensive Asus from what I could find.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
S95B attempt #2 came yesterday, different seller put it in an extra box for better protection, I checked the screen right away before setting up the stand and all seemed well. Hurray! The prices have really come down where it's pretty much the same price as an LG C2 and cheaper than the G2.

Pros: Picture is really great, noticeably brighter than my LG BX OLED, the reds, yellows, and greens really stand out, haven't watched much content with big HDR highlights yet. It does seem very very slightly grey when it's off compared to my LG but it's very black when it's running things.

Cons: The reviews weren't joking when they said Tizen was slow and laggy, interface and remote have significant a learning curve. The cable management guides and covers on the back are mostly useless if you use more than 3 cables

Camera phone of course doesn't capture the screen that well but happy with the purchase.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Fre...5b3de13370&th=1

They have some pre-owned M32U ones for 505$, my Aorus FI32U (Same panel) didn't come with the original box but all the cables and accessories were there and well packaged, no screen issues.

G-sync pretty much works on most monitors even if it's not technically certified.

Theres a few other nice 32'' 144hz 4k monitors but they're like a 1000$ LG and BENQ monitor. I'm not a huge fan of curved monitors either.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've been on the OLED hype train since my first LG in 2016 but MicroLED does have some promise but as far as i've read the manufacturing is very difficult even compared to OLED.

https://mixed-news.com/en/microled-why-the-super-displays-are-so-difficult-to-manufacture/

Self emissive quantum dots are also impressive as they don't need organic compounds, still early phases of development.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/is-this-8k-self-emissive-qled-display-the-future-of-tv

Samsung display has put a lot into QD OLED manufacturing and we should be seeing 77'' models next year, it'll be interesting to see how LG responds.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Is anyone using the LG C2 42'' as a monitor? What are your thoughts? It's sitting here at 796$ on Amazon and sorely tempting although i'm already on a 144hz 4k 32'' display so it's a choice I don't really need to make either.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Enos Cabell posted:

Someone list all the terrible down sides of using a 42" LG C2 as a monitor please. They are down to $799 at Best Buy and my resolve is fading.

I'm on the fence myself... and I do own a 4090. I don't hate my Aorus FI32U but it doesn't do HDR well.

Amazon gives you until end of January to return it too.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm trying to hold off for now, maybe they'll slap a display port onto the C3 in a couple months.

LG does discount their stuff aggressively all the time so I don't think i'm really missing out.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
LG C3 doesn't sound like much of an improvement over the C2 unless you're going 55'' and up since they're getting the boosted brightness.

Should mean C2s will be heavily discounted coming as the C3 becomes available.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So basically the C3 only has slightly fancier hdmi 2.1a ports and a new processor which may only be slightly better.

We'll have to wait another year for LG's MLA tech for brightness https://www.oled-info.com/lg-display-may-start-producing-microlens-mla-woled-panels-2024

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Apparently there is MLA tech on the G3, LG is being overly confusing sometimes.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...sh=4e00b3b861b8

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Watching actual content I don't notice any grayness on my S95B, looks as black as my LG OLED. Larger size option is nice, appears to be a small brightness bump but doesn't seem to be any massive improvements. The only real annoying thing with the TV is the interface but i've mostly gotten used to it.

The TV he has is a preproduction sample so it'll be interesting when the production TVs eventually get to reviewers.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwvKiK32n8o

MLA tech on the G3 panels is the most intriguing to me. C3 gets some minor boost increases. M3 is cool with it's wireless box ($$$$$). new 6th gen processor.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Preordered that 32U2P, we'll see if it actually ships. Display port 2.1 should be nice when the 5090 comes around.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Newegg has shipped my FO32U2 earlier than expected, quite excited to get it by Saturday.

Wouldn't have minded getting the 950$ MSI monitor but they seem pretty unobtanium at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Finally unboxed and setup the FO32U2P.

Nothing to really complain about except the included DP cable is comically short.

Played a few games, it's pretty glorious.