Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Welp...
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13791/nvidia-ces-2019-keynote-live-blog-starts-at-8pm-pt0400-utc

read in reverse

quote:

12:20AM EST - There's going to be a big difference in outcomes if manufacturers have to pay to get their adaptive sync/freesync monitors approved for NV's ecosystem

12:20AM EST - I'm very curious if NVIDIA is charging manufacturers for this. NVIDIA has traditionally (and quietly) charged for value added features

12:19AM EST - They're being classified as "G-Sync Compatible"

12:19AM EST - Driver coming January 15th

12:19AM EST - Though it looks like they'll only support the monitors that pass their tests? This point is not clear

12:18AM EST - So NVIDIA is finally delivering VESA adaptive sync support

12:18AM EST - NVIDIA is going to test all adaptive sync monitors, and will support them!

12:18AM EST - NVIDIA tested 400 monitors. 12 of them "passed" NVIDIA's standards

12:17AM EST - Thus far Jensen is pointing out some of the problems they've seen with these monitors

12:16AM EST - NVIDIA has gone out and tested all the available VESA adaptive sync enabled monitors

12:15AM EST - "We've been looking at the [VESA] adaptive sync market for several years and thinking about how we can help it"

12:15AM EST - Jensen is talking about VESA adaptive sync?

12:14AM EST - G-Sync Ultimate confirmed. This would seem to be NVIDIA's official branding for what we've been calling G-Sync HDR up until now

12:11AM EST - G-Sync Ultimate?

12:11AM EST - "We're now on our third generation"

12:11AM EST - Jensen is recapping the launch of the original G-Sync tech back in 2013

12:10AM EST - Now switching gears to G-Sync

12:10AM EST - "It's the perfect size"

12:10AM EST - NVIDIA's system integrator partners will also be offering the card in systems right away

basically some freesync monitors will get gsync support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

so far this CES it seems to be.

1: foldable tv: cool but they've showed something like that for the past two CESes and its minimum $10K
2. portable usb-c monitors. also cool but not amazing. possible high utility though.

and then bigger tvs etc and stuff where it's just alexa + monitor or google + monitor, but... is that it?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

NewEgg has the Alienware 34" curved monitor on sale for $799

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-S0&ignorebbr=1

I think you need to be on their newsletter or whatnot. etc. but the code is EMCTUUU22

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

tzirean posted:

Stupid question alert!

Looking at getting a dual monitor mount for my XB271HU and a second monitor (currently the spare we have sitting around; in the future, :whoknows: ). Allegedly, the XB271HU is a pain to VESA-mount even though it's compatible. Is this true or just internet stupidity, and does the thread have a recommended mount?

i have this monitor mounted on an amazonbasics single arm. no issues. might need someone else to hold the monitor while you put in the screws, or just stack a whole bunch of books to balance the monitor on top of it. but no noticeable issues

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 23, 2019

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

NewEgg has the Alienware 34" curved monitor on sale for $799

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...-S0&ignorebbr=1

I think you need to be on their newsletter or whatnot. etc. but the code is EMCTUUU22

this monitor is on sale again for $799 on dell.com. Includes $75 Dell Promo eGift Card
https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/1zgc

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

VideoGames posted:

Hello all! I recently got a nice new system including an RTX2070. I eventually would like to get one of the nice new gaming monitors too, but as a Brit they are currently (from what I can tell) in the £600-£700 range, which seems like a lot. (Some of the monitors you guys are recommending are only $350 which is not even £300) as such I am not sure if I am looking at the correct kinds of monitor.

I would like one that does G-sync (possibly freesync though I am not as certain how well that works) and is 1440p. Does anyone have any good recommendations for this and for someone paying in £? If it means I need to save up £600 then so be it, I just wondered if there was anything a little bit less wallet straining.

if you want to save money. buy freesync monitors that can support gsync (this only was announced recently by nvidia so the list is small).

looking up on google i came across this page of freesync monitors that apparently support gsync. most of the prices are in dollars however so you'll have to look them up in the UK.

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-all-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

wait so i'm not getting 120+ frames in overwatch? i have a 970 hooked to a predator xb1. overwatch says it is running at over 100 frames..?

fakedit: so looking up on google it says"The older DisplayPort 1.2 is capable of 3840×2160, 4K, at 60 Hz; or 1080p resolution at 144Hz "

if i'm running overwatch in window mode but the actual screen resolution is 1440p, does it take into account the entire monitor's size or just the window?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

K8.0 posted:

There's not enough bandwidth in DP 1.2 to go over 100hz on 1440 ultrawide, which the monitor he was talking about is. Any DP 1.2 GPU will not go over 100hz refresh rate on a 1440p ultrawide.

the XB1 series is just a widescreen. the one i have specifically is the 27" 1440 165hz monitor running at, 2560x1440.

i looked at my screen resolution panel in windows. says it is running 165hz. so hopefully it actually is refreshing that fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The 34" Dell Alienware Curved Monitor 3440x1440 GSync 100hz is on sale on Buydig/Google Shopping

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/437473302703167549?prds=epd%3A5873511227230543871%2Cprmr%3A3

$609 + Tax + FS