Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

Admins please sticky!
No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Also do you know if the panels in the 27" ACD and 27" iMac are identical? I don't see why they wouldn't be. Just want to make sure when I say 27" iMac literally == 27" Apple display + a Mac that I'm being accurate.
It is.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

jesus christ some of you guys are assholes
We're just completely baffled at why you think a screenshot of a game is at all relevant to monitor discussion.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smug forum rear end in a top hat posted:

Welp, I guess when I was posting about gaming on this monitor I should have quoted the guy two posts above me who said that his brother tried to scare him into thinking that a 120hz refresh monitor was necessary for gaming. My bad :cool:
Here's what you're not understanding: a screenshot is going to always look the same regardless of what monitor you have connected to it, at least in regards to color accuracy or lag. The only possible thing that could change is resolution. You can't use a screenshot to demonstrate display quality. A screenshot is just a capture of the framebuffer from the video card before your monitor even sees it.

And even if you took a picture of your monitor with the best camera in the world to show how awesome it looks, we'd all be looking at it with different monitors that wouldn't display the image the same as what you're seeing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

e: new thread title thanks SWSP :toot:
Hey wait a second!

My 27" IPS panel is 16:9 :downs:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

movax posted:

Guess someone's subhuman! :smug: Got your new MBA hooked up to it?
I don't think my mid-2010 27" iMac will do Target Display Mode from a ThunderBolt port (only DisplayPort), unless I'm confused.

I contemplated upgrading the iMac as well, but I still want Target Display Mode support with my Kanex adapter for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Great deal on a U3011 in SA-Mart.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I never had a problem going MDP -> DP with my MacBook Pro and U2410 when I had them. I used a Monoprice cable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quanta posted:

It's inexcusable if the bigger manufacturers aren't using IPS in notebooks by next year.
:laugh: Good one!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Quanta posted:

Could someone explain to me why I'm so wrong. :( The Lenovo Thinkpad X220 seems to have an IPS display.
The X220 is an expensive laptop. IPS costs more.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zhentar posted:

The 2410 and 2412 have entirely different backlights (CCFL vs. LED), which will have substantially different color characteristics.
More importantly, they have completely different colorspaces. They'd look completely terrible next to each other.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Yes.
Once you get to 27" or higher it doesn't make much of a difference to me. 1440 vs 1600 vertical pixels doesn't really phase me. I can go back and forth between the two without issue.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How's 21:9 support in games these days? It's pretty much the only thing the monitor would ever be used for. Will I constantly be checking WSGF for .ini hacks like 10 years ago when 16:10 was the new kid on the block? Mostly looking at modern stuff like XCOM, Witcher 3, GTA V, Wolfenstein, etc.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I have not had any gameplay issues at all.
Cool, thanks. I've got my eye on that 34" Dell with the price drops this week.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Heads up, until midnight PT tonight Newegg is having the Dell U2415 on sale for $240 with the code EMCAXNT22 and the Dell U3415W Ultrawide for :siren:$650:siren: with the code EMCAXNT23 and a $50 MIR, free shipping too.
God drat I want to jump on this.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

drat $3500 is still a lot of money. Presumably they're sourcing these panels from LG? I hope we see more options in the next year or so.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ardlen posted:

My local Costco has a bunch of the XB271HU for $500.
There's been a lot of discussion about this the last few pages. Take a look.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Any thoughts on LG's 32UD99? News on this guy came out around the time the XB271HU had its price drop at Costco, and I didn't see any discussion about it. I haven't shopped for monitors in years, and will likely be connecting a 2016 MBP and a PS4 Pro. It seems like that would be a reasonable 4K display for those devices.

edit: I realize it's not out -- just wondering if those specs and such seem to line up with the price point. I'll at least wait to see what early reports on the shipping units are like.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 18, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rsjr posted:

Is the LG 34UC99-W still the best adult monitor (non-gaming, USB-C)? Is there an alternative from Dell with USB-C? I'm OK with a 27" too. 4K is optional, but USB-C isn't.
32UD99 is supposed to start shipping this month.

I've definitely got my eye on it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's almost July and still no LG 32UD99-W :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there any reason why I shouldn't buy an LG 32UD99-W? It seems like a pretty nice monitor even if 1400 AUD is a teensy bit expensive.
I’ve had my eye on it for months, and the feedback seems to be that the specs don’t add up for a monitor that claims to be HDR. Are there actually reviews of it yet? Last I checked it’s still unavailable after months of delays.