Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I posted back in the old thread that I was having trouble with running my monitor on a HDMI cable with a DVI adaptor, it was getting green shimmering lines and stuff. At the time I thought it was just a bad connection, but I found that it happens only at one specific time: Right after I've powered up the monitor. I can fix it by going into the Catalyst control panel and disabling the monitor, and then immediately re-enabling it. Does that give anyone here a clue about what could be causing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Months ago someone on SA, either here or the a/v club I can't remember, recommended me a program that makes a "mirror" of an existing window, that can be changed to any size and put on top of everything, to make programs run in non-fullscreen fullscreen. I lost track of what it is called though and no combination of google keywords seem to be doing it (since words like "mirror" and "duplicate windows" only pull up dual monitor stuff). Does anyone know? Or another program that might help me? I tried Sizer already but it mysteriously does not enlarge the contents of the window I want to make fullscreen.

this is just one of dozens of solutions I have tried to solve to a long running problem I have had that is very tiny by any reasonable measure, but it makes me want to murder the world. It's caused by a three way combination of the game in question being badly coded, my TV having inadequate overscan compensation features, and my video card driver having inadequate overscan compensation features.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 22, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Are you talking about ShiftWindow? That will let you grab a window and resize it to an arbitrary size and position, including a "fake" full-screen windowed mode.
No, that's another program I have tried which somehow didn't work either. The program I am thinking of doesn't actually resize windows or anything, rather it creates a NEW window that is extremely flexible, can be dragged into any arbitrary size, has no menu bars or borders, and holds the same content as any window you ask it to duplicate. Why on earth did I delete it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at <$200 IPSs, there are two near borderless ones. They look pretty sweet, but is there some great disadvantage to those that is not communicated by the Amazon reviews?

edit: I'm finally thinking of replacing this...dubious device which has served me adequately for a few years now, but I don't use my monitor for games so response time and stuff isn't a factor. I just want blacker blacks and better color consistency across the whole screen. What do y'all recommend?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 5, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I had to mentally calculate 72 hours in my head since payday is this Friday, I guess that works. This is now my front runner. We use Dell monitors in the office (cheaper ones though), I always thought I wouldn't mind having one for myself.

edit: when I tried to calculate shipping and stuff it assumed I was in Canada, wanted me to select a province, it won't continue without that. Is this deal only for Canadians or something?

edit: It appears that it is. Back to the drawing board.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GrizzlyCow posted:

Amazon has that same monitor for about $202. And NewEgg has it for around $218 including shipping. So if you're willing to spend two dollars more, you can still get it for relatively cheap.
Oh, I was looking at that and I thought it was a slightly different monitor for some reason, but I guess it's the same model number. Yeah, I might still get that.

My new vidcard has a DisplayPort jack, so it transmits video, sound, and USB? Anything else it does for me?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, I'm having a small problem with my current monitor, or maybe my new vidcard? I can't tell. Right now it's plugged in via a HDMI cable and then an HDMI to DVI adapter (just because my vidcard only has one HDMI out and my TV is connected too), and often when I turn on the monitor I have some green shifty horizontal lines on the screen. Reseating the cable fixes it, but I have to do that basically every time I turn the monitor on. Any ideas? Could it just be a crappy adapter?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is probably a stupid question but I should be looking at a DisplayPort male to male cable if I buy this monitor, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there a disadvantage of this Asus over that Dell? This one comes out to a little bit cheaper after the rebate, and I like the look of it slightly more.

edit: I'm gonna get this one in the next few hours (Amazon's "order in the next X hours and get it on Monday!" thing is a great motivator) unless someone tells me why I shouldn't.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 10, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I went with the Dell after all, I've had it with taking risks on components that not very many people seem to know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I thought DisplayPort was supposed to carry USB information, so why does this U2312HM seem to need a USB upstream connector in order to have its USB ports work? Also I guess I didn't realize it didn't have a speaker out jack, I thought that was standard on monitors these days.

Also it is an awesome monitor. I initially plugged it in for dual monitor alongside my old one, but this one looks so good it just make the old one look so much worse.