Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Recommending a monitor with 30ms of lag for gaming sounds pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I have a 2407WFP. I've been thinking for a while about getting another monitor because I'm sick of how lovely this one is for gaming, but I'm not convinced that newer LCDs are actually any less crap. Has anyone made a similar move, and if so what were your experiences?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Thanks for your input, but the 2407 HC is notorious for being a complete piece of poo poo as far as response time and such goes, a major step back from the original 2407, so it's not actually as relevant a comparison as you might think.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Is the stand adjustable? The one on my 2412 doesn't seem to be but the one for my 2407 definitely is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

2412 or 2412M?

The 2412 is the higher-end model and I can adjust the 2412M on my desk every which way.

EDIT: Well, they do have entirely different stands. Huh.

It is a 2412M. I guess the screws let you adjust tilt? I didn't need to so I didn't wind up looking at it much, but it's definitely not as nice of a stand as the 2407's is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tedronai66 posted:

What about IPS and P/MVA? My old monitor is a *VA, and even older secondary is IPS (dell 2007wfp). I've pondered getting a korean monitor and just putting the *VA in portrait mode.

I have a Dell 2412M next to a 2407. The 2412M looks slightly blue because of the backlight differences. The 2412M has much better blacks. That's about it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Is there any reason pay more for a Crossover or Catleap if you don't care about the stand? I don't think you're going to get $45-80 worth of stand.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Just got my Crossover. I bought it from dream-seller with their zero stuck/dead pixels guarantee, and it has two pretty obvious dead pixels. The monitor indicator LED is also ridiculously bright, very bad design. I also got the standard bullshit letter they apparently pack in with all their sales.

I can tell this is going to be a huge pain in the rear end, most likely they aren't going to want to do anything.

These monitors might cost a good bit less than half of what Dell charges, but my initial impression is you really don't get your money's worth by comparison.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 12, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Going by the price I'm guessing it's not dual-link DVI which would mean it would not work with any monitor over 1920x1200. The ones that should work seem to run around 100 USD although monoprice has one for 70.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 12, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

dream-seller customer service update : They have now claimed that they can't properly help me at the moment because their only employee who is good at customer service is in the hospital.

I would definitely stay the gently caress away from them if you're ebaying a korean monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Is there a way to get windows to scale cursor position when crossing screen borders, or to get it to just move the cursor to the edge rather than getting stuck on the previous monitor? That behavior really sucks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

Sounds like you just need to tweak the monitor positions in the control panel. In the same spot where you adjust resolution, you can actually drag the representations of the monitors around to match their physical configuration, down to where their edges line up. It's easiest to get it just right if you open a window, and stretch it across the two monitors at the midpoint, then just tweak the control panel until the window's title bar is straight across each screen.

That doesn't fix the fundamental issue with screens that don't have the same resolution.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Can we get dream-seller removed from the recommended sources for korean monitors in the OP? I am quite certain now that literally everything they say is a lie. They very obviously don't test the monitors, they pack a bullshit letter in with every shipment, if you message them on ebay they always have a ludicrous excuse about how they can't reply to you because they're busy helping jesus fight a t-rex, and they ask you for ridiculous poo poo like high quality pictures and video of dead pixels. They're borderline scammers, they know that ebay's policies guarantee that they can get away with everything they do so they just spew bullshit at you all day long.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Your video card will scale to any resolution, a scaler is pointless.

Just make sure you don't buy from dream-seller, they are scammers.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The scaling happens after the mirroring, at least on AMD. I tried it and it works fine for me.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Just want to again mention that dream-seller is a scammer and you should NOT risk doing business with them. No loving clue why they're still in the OP.

It worked out well for me because I got a monitor for free after eBay laid the smack down on them, but I wouldn't recommend anyone else hope for that outcome.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sent me a monitor with two dead pixels when they claim to inspect them to have zero dead/stuck pixels, so they obviously never actually inspected it. They pack in a letter with every single shipment saying there were problems with your monitor but we returned it for you and got you a good one, obvious bullshit. I messaged them politely for like a month, they tried to give me a runaround until I couldn't dispute it anymore on ebay.

I opened a case on ebay, they offered me a $50 refund which was bullshit because their prices are higher than the competition and the only reason to go with them in the first place is their superior pixel perfect guarantee. I didn't see a better option at the best time so I accepted it. Then they told me I had to give them positive feedback to get it.

I told them to gently caress off, they tried to poison pill me by refunding me (which would mean I'd have to pay ~$380 in return shipping), I told them to suck a dick and reported them to ebay for bribery, ebay poo poo on them and I kept the money and the monitor.

tldr : they don't inspect their "perfect" monitors at all, you're paying $50 for absolutely nothing, and if you complain about it they will either do nothing or try to gently caress you on return shipping.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

At the time that wasn't in their listings and they listed them all over their store as "ZERO Dead/Stuck pixel" and that they inspected/tested every pixel perfect monitor before shipping them. Single pixels don't die in shipping, it was obviously a lie that they were inspecting anything, at least at the time. Also like I said they packed in the exact same bullshit letter with every shipment (again, this may have changed since they got smacked by ebay).

They did say their could be backlight bleeding or other defects. The backlight is fine, but the monitor has a slight streak which I never complained about because that's not one of the things they warrantied.

If I didn't go with a seller who charged $40+ more for the same monitor than the competition but guaranteed "ZERO Dead/Stuck pixel" I wouldn't have complained to them, but they did and they obviously lied so gently caress them.

edit for actual customer service story :

When I complained (VERY politely), they acted like they would be all helpful but gave me ludicrous runarounds. First they said that the only guy who spoke english was in the hospital - bullshit because the guy who wrote me back clearly understood english well enough to understand my problem and write a coherent response specific to me, but in this and every subsequent message they reassured me that they intended on taking care of this for me, and I decided to be the nice guy and not actually use ebay's complaint system until it became obvious they were out to screw me.

Then they said they wanted pictures, so fine, I took a few days to borrow the best camera I could and got them some pictures. They sent me a somewhat unclear message about not being able to see the pictures, I reuploaded them and also said that they were the best pictures I could realistically take. I'd taken them in a dark room and cherry picked the highest quality ones that best showed individual pixels out of many that I took.

Somewhere around this point they again came up with an excuse about how nobody who could speak english was going to be around for the better part of a week.

They waited a week, then said they understood those were the best pictures I could get and would talk to their boss, waited a week, then complained that they needed better pictures to verify what was going on. I told them I don't have and am not about to buy a DSLR and macro lens so I can take a perfect picture of something less than 1/100th of an inch across.

I waited ANOTHER week, at this point I was certain that they were dicking me around so I filed a complaint on ebay, and that's when they offered me a partial refund. I waited a few days to think about it, said that sucks but I think it's the best I can hope for so I accept. That's when they came back with bullshit about their policy requiring positive feedback for a refund (which is against ebay's TOS). I figured that had to be against ebay policy but I couldn't find anything quickly and I was busy working at the time so I again waited a couple days working over my options. A few days later I decided to escalate the case to ebay because I was afraid that I was running out of time to do anything. While before it always took them at least a day to respond, they INSTANTLY responded to this with a full refund (which automatically closes the case.)

A few hours after that I found ebay's rules on bribery, realized that they had done was specifically banned, and reported them. Ebay instantly gave me a number to call and a token, I called them, explained the situation, they looked at the messages, said it was a clear violation of their policy and escalated it to a team and told me to not have any further contact with the seller unless specifically directed to by ebay. At this point I've waited a few months, haven't heard anything from ebay and have no way of contacting them, and I'm well outside the 90 day buyer/seller contact period so I figure I'm finally OK.

They were very blatantly trying to drag things out past ebay's 90 day contact period. They are loving scumbag scammers and nobody should be doing business with them.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 15, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I did try massaging the pixels, no dice unfortunately. I got used to them pretty quickly, pixels are very tiny on a monitor with this density and I never notice them unless I'm looking for them. If I'd paid the $75 less that other sellers were asking for this specific model with no guarantee or even the $40 less for the same monitor with the sort of guarantee you're talking about there I'd have been mildly disappointed in my luck but obviously that would have been the risk I'd taken.

Also, check my last post for the update on my back and forth with them.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 15, 2012

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

BreakAtmo posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900-Widescreen-Trinitron-Monitor/dp/B00004YNSR/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I assume that apart from weight it pretty much trumps every LCD monitor ever? I would've liked to see it.

CRTs still have some significant advantages in terms of responsiveness and being able to display actual darks/black, but LCDs have tremendously superior (perfect) focus, so pixels are much crisper. You can read text all day on an LCD with no eye fatigue, while getting a large, high PPI CRT to EVER be focused across the entire screen was a massive chore. A 120hz LCD is still nowhere near as good as a 120hz CRT in terms of immediacy, there's significant blur/ghosting while the phosphors on CRTs have very short persistence so there is no temporal blurring or artifacting whatsoever.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Have you specifically followed the exact directions Dell gives for a factory reset with zero deviation? I know at one point I had a similar kind of input problem with my 2407 and I thought it was broken, then they gave me some absurd combination of things to do that I assumed could not possibly work since I had done them all already but not in that exact order, and then it worked and I've never had a problem a gain.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

As far as consoles are concerned, it's still de rigueur to poo poo out 30 FPS presentations which are far from visually smooth, so I reckon it'll be a while before we see any real progress, since many devs target 30 FPS as acceptable. Which is sure as hell won't be for VR.

I think that you've got it exactly backwards here. e - now I get that you're referring to games on consoles themselves rather their impact on PC gaming. Because the current consoles were so incredibly weak even when released, PC games are already running at double the framerates, and as hardware continues to scale up framerates are going to go even higher. I don't think I have a practical use for a monitor bigger than 27"/1440, it's already much larger than my central FOV and I can't really discern pixels in motion, and I would much prefer scaling to really high framerates over higher resolution at this point.

Also, there are benefits to increasing framerates up to enormous numbers that we will never hit, just like resolution. It's always going to be a tradeoff, but framerates have been lagging behind for a long time and we're finally starting to see a serious push in that direction which is nice.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 14, 2015

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I'm considering getting this one but I read that if you do knock it down to 1080p for gaming, it doesn't just double up the pixels, but instead uses some kind of fuzzy scaling that looks worse than a normal 1080p of the same size. Has anyone tried that with this particular model?

You basically always want to do the scaling on your GPU. It's essentially free there, doesn't introduce any latency, and is high quality. On Nvidia like everything relating to monitors the controls are poo poo and I have no idea if it defaults on, AMD defaults it on and gives you an option to shut it off on the CCC resolution page.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Are there any sites doing good (i.e. high speed camera, high framerate test material, proper latency testing, etc) monitor testing these days? I'm thinking about getting another monitor, but no matter how many times I've seen people claim that THIS is the generation of IPS monitors that are actually decent for gaming, it's never been true, so I don't want to buy anything without some quality tests on how badly it ghosts.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They outlast everything else and you use them constantly. Peripherals in general are absolutely one of the best places to spend your money. No matter what GPU you buy, it will be garbage in two years, but a good monitor will still be useful six years from now, even if only as a second or third screen. They actually hold some semblance of value too.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I tried another power cable from my wife's machine and still got a blank screen. Even without a DVI plugged in I should have still gotten the monitor splash and settings screen. Instead I just get the backlight and a totally blank screen when I turn the thing on.

Don't RMA without calling tech support. I had a Dell monitor "die" on me once. Turned out it just needed to go through some extra-special double factory reset to make the board work right again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I would go with the Acer. The panel in it might be slightly superior and if you're going high end display why not go all the way?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

NeoSeeker posted:

Also just to have more than one selection are there any other monitors that have the same features? It says in the article about this screen that running anything in a non native resolution increases input lag tenfold. That statement in the review worries me because simply running things in non native resolution turning the monitor into sludge doesn't seem appealing at all. If anything it's almost a deal breaker.

Both AMD and Nvidia let you do resolution scaling on the GPU rather than the monitor. AMD's support for it is superior, but Nvidia's is functional.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

ANIME AKBAR posted:

My research lab is looking at getting a new display for our conference room, so it will be used mainly for powerpoint presentations. We research medical imaging, so image quality is a big deal, especially contrast and viewing angle. Size should be in the 36-48" range. Another important factor is that it should have every common interface (VGA/DVI/HDMI/displayport at minimum, and be compatible with apple and windows machines). I'm trying to get a sense of what technologies any manufacturers to look at (already reading up on IPS), any advice would be appreciated.

There are insanely expensive monitors specifically for medical imaging, with very high quality, specific aspect ratios, all kinds of features.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

TVs make terrible monitors. Get an XB271HU bmiprz (27", 1440p, 144-165hz, IPS, G-Sync) and stop sitting so far away from your monitor. Keep the TV for media if you want.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this bad or just mediocre? I found one on Craigslist for $75, and assuming it hasn't sold yet that seems like a screaming deal on 1440p anything. Assuming the quality isn't absolute poo poo.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-IPS-ZERO-G-Monitor-2560x1440-110509/dp/B00DIGC6GO

I would not buy dual link DVI monitors at this point. New GPUs are going to lack DVI outputs, and that's going to make them a pain to use and a pain to get rid of.

Gay Retard posted:

Will HDMI 2.1, with variable refresh rates, make G-sync unnecessary?

No, because Nvidia is not going to support it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The problem is that the monitors are dual link DVI (not to be confused with DVI-D), which can't be converted cheaply. With say, 1080p monitors, it's cheap and adds no latency to go DVI>HDMI or HDMI>DVI.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

If you're exceeding the refresh rate you can use vsync to lock in at that max, but vsync doesn't work so well when you're below

You never want to use vsync. It introduces a bunch of latency. If you want no tearing, what you want to do is gsync on, vsync off, framerate capped a few FPS below refresh rate (preferably using in-game options, RTSS if not available).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Lemma posted:

Whaaaaat. OK, because I've been thinking about getting a proper monitor to replace the HDTV I've been using for the past 10 years. As I understand it, TV's pretty much universally run at 60hz. The only game I have that shows FPS is Overwatch, which seems to run between 70-80 fps most of the time on ultra settings. There's quite a bit of tearing on it, which is fixed if I turn on vsynch, but as people have mentioned there is some lag when I do that. Further, the screen maxes at 720p so I figure 1080p would be a nice upgrade in addition to a higher refresh rate...

From what I've read, the option for higher refresh rate would be either DVI-D or DisplayPort in lieu of the HDMI I'm using now. (Both can run 1080p up to 144hz, correct?) But once I have all that, how can I know what framerate the game will end up running at, if I adjust settings and such? If I intend to switch to DisplayPort (for example) would I be best off getting a 144 hz monitor? Or would I still get tearing, since my GTX 1060 seems to spend most of its time around the 70 fps range? Would a 75hz monitor be better, then?

DVI is a dead spec. HDMI and DisplayPort are the two relevant specs, and HDMI is really the winner because it's used for everything

If you want no tearing and no input lag, gsync (or freesync) is your only option. That said, vsync on with a 144hz monitor and a framerate below 144 is a pretty minimal amount of lag, so in that specific case you'd have a good experience on any old 144hz display.

It's really a matter of how much you want to spend, how long you want to keep it, and what you plan on doing with it. Monitors are honestly in a pretty lovely place right now as a gamer, because Gsync IPS displays are extremely expensive and only really come in 2 worthwhile variants, but are also far better than anything else for gaming.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I almost have my build set up for a new PC, but the monitor is the last sticking point for me.

If you want a monitor today, you either buy the one you picked or the ultrawide equivalent. If 4k and having a monitor you keep for 10 years really appeals to you, I'd say pick up a cheap 1080p monitor and sit on it until the 4k/144/gsync/not HDR monitors come out.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That monitor and its ilk had lots of backlight bleed issues early in production, but at this point they are generally fairly good. Just give it a good inspection - solid black screen, dark room, see if the backlight bleed is acceptable to you and if any pixels are stuck. Solid white screen, give it a looking over for dead/stuck pixels. Aside from that, it is what it is. Higher end monitors generally last longer than you feel like using them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

God drat that's a screaming deal. Something must be right around the corner to be pushing these prices down so far.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It ultimately comes down to how much you're willing to spend and exactly what you value, but yes, G-Sync is a great feature in general. A 21:9 ultrawide like the AW3418DW would probably be ideal for the games you're talking about, but that's a $900 monitor even on sale.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

emocrat posted:

I see the Dell Gaming S2716DGR 27.0 is a slightly better price (and doesn't say Predator in big letters on the front...) is there something it is worse at that I don't see?

It's a TN panel. You don't want that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Nothing about that plan makes sense. I would sell the 1060, buy a 1080Ti, and then sell that for the next round of RTX cards when there's actual software for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Especially this year, given that we keep seeing freakishly low sales on monitors. Wouldn't be surprised to see some crazy deals come up.