Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor in the next few months. I currently own a SAMSUNG 225BW Black 22" for the past few years. It works well enough at 1680x1050, but its no IPS.

I'm thinking about getting either 2 U2311Hs or just 1 U2410 and keep my Samsung as a 2nd monitor for the same budget. As a matter of OCD-ness, would my old Samsung look horrible next to the U2410 or bearable?

I'm thinking I could get around $150 for it on CL but if it'll look alright for a dual setup (movie on one, web browsing on the other), than I'll just keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Wow, just got my U2311H in today with a random FedEx drop-off. This thing is amazing next to my old Samsung 225BW. I'll be keeping both monitors in a dual display but you can definitely tell the difference.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Jonnty posted:

What's the deal with Dell's estimated delivery date? Mine's today but it says the monitor hasn't shipped yet, haha.

That seems to be pretty standard although I'm not sure as to why. When I bought my U2311H from Dell's eBay account, the same thing happened to me. Order status wasn't even shipped yet the next week, a random FedEx delivery. :iiam:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Sadly, I think my old 22" Samsung TN is on its way out. It takes awhile for it to return from sleep with really dim...lackluster colors, then gets bright over 15-20 seconds. Compare that to my Dell U2311H, which is instantly on and bright. Sometimes my TN even returns from sleep with a blank white screen that only a power cycle fixes.

Sadly, no $$ for a replacement now, so here's to my eventual monitor fire. :shepface:

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm looking for advice on an upcoming monitor purchase. Currently have a 23 inch Dell IPS and an older 22 inch Samsung TN that is slowly dying.

Should I go cheap and get another 23 inch IPS or maybe a 27/30 inch and turn my current 23 into a vertical side monitor. Thoughts?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Buying a 27 or 30" Dell plus a new video card is something I wish I had the money for. Instead I went with a U2312HM to compliment my older U2311.

I know its been said before but call Dell and see what kind of deals you can get. I managed to get $20 off their discounted web price plus 2 day free shipping. Comparatively, its a far better deal than Newegg or Amazon were offering.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I thought if you bought from Amazon, you didn't get the Dell 3 Year Perfect Pixel warranty. Amazon isn't that much cheaper, so maybe Dell will have a special or some coupons will drop from the sky.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I figured this was the best place to ask, so here goes. My monitor connects to my graphics card via HDMI. My HDTV is also next to it, and instead of building a dedicated 'gaming PC', I was wondering if there was a 'switch' of sorts I could use.

Basically, I want to be able to play my controller/2D steam games on my HDTV vs my monitor with some sort of easy switch vs plugging/unplugging 2 separate cables. Is this possible and if so, what is the best route?

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 20, 2014

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm looking to clean up the clutter on my *literal* desktop and the appeal of 21:9 ultrawide in the 30-34"+ range is starting to appeal to me more and more vs my current 3 IPS monitor setup. (30/23/23)

I casually game, if at all anymore, so if I want to I'll upgrade my GTX780 if I want to play whatever new hotness down the road. I don't work with graphics, so nothing super detailed on that level is needed.

Most important would be screen real-estate along with a decent refresh rate and 'quality/detail', since I would still love to have multiple programs up going at once. Multiple web browsers, IRC, SSH, encoding programs, etc

X34 looks nice for the graphics and real-estate but it looks to be overkill since I don't play games more than once a week or so anymore. I'd like to keep it under the 1K mark if that's being realistic.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

The market for used monitors seems dead, at least locally sold wise. Craigslist hasn't had any bites and I realllly don't want to do the hassle of eBay/Amazon madness for making some ROI on used hardware.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Boxman posted:

Anyone with experience buying used from Amazon Warehouse? They have the 24" Dell Gsync for about $345 after tax, which is pretty great. Obviously they're used and might come with cosmetic dings, but I'm more concerned about panel quality and how robust they are with returns.

Broadly speaking, I'm not crazy for looking at a used monitor, right?

Amazon is all about you purchasing things from them. I've been a Prime customer from them for years and with any issues, Regular or Warehouse, they always either refunded my money or sent me a replacement (my choice BTW).

Yeah, I sort of have Stockholm syndrome with them but in a good way. I've never been done wrong by their support and it helps if you purchase the majority of your stuff through them.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I'm sort of along the same lines as Amun above, although not as specific requirements. My use case is 25% games (mainly FPS, with some RTS, RPG and Indie) and 75% productivity, (Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, Vectorworks, Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino).

I'm torn between a smaller, 'gaming' monitor, such as Alienware AW3418DW, or go to something larger not necessarily dedicated to gaming like the Samsung LC49HG90DMNXZA CHG90 or the Dell 49" U4919DW.

I'm currently using a Dell UltraSharp U3011 with 2 Dell 23"s on the sides.

I have the hardware to power them with a 2080 Ti, I'm just wondering if there are any other options in the 34"+ level worth reviewing. The Dell 49 Inch is beautiful but it almost seems like a waste for any type of gaming.

Perhaps I should just wait for now and see what's coming on the horizon?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

After making a build from the PC thread, I'm trying to figure out what to upgrade to in monitor-land. The new rig will have a 14900K and 4090, so as I'm looking at my options, it seems like it's more of a "choose your adventure" vs. "this is a high quality."

I have a Dell 49" used daily for productivity, such as encoding, spreadsheets, and coding, so I doubt anything will replace that. I'm trying to figure out how to work a gaming monitor into my setup. Besides stupid minimal returns, price isn't much of a factor. Some thoughts,

- Prefer not to go the dual monitor route
- I'm curious about buying a C2 or smaller OLED as I have a great 77" C9 and 55" C1. Maybe gaming with a TV has caught up with technology versus being subpar before
- 4K vs 1440p or whatever else. Is 4K more of a novelty today than before, or is it becoming more mainstream?

Hopefully, that breaks in a bit of what I'm thinking. Open to all suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

After further research, I've narrowed it down to AW3225QF or a C3 of some size. Those seem to be the "top of the line" options right now.

For those who have a C3 for gaming, how has your experience been?