Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why is good HDR so rare in computer monitors, anyway? Is it an issue with the higher refresh rates? Or is it a DPI issue? I've sort of been assuming that getting good local dimming is simply harder and more expensive to do on high-DPI panels, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

i'll check them in-store at some point but do people find 32" monitors usable for gaming / work?

I'm on a couple of 24 inchers right now, but at the distance I keep them I can see 32 inchers being just as usable in the back of a 2-foot-deep desk.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Christ almighty reading monitor reviews is the worst.

This is the best HDR gaming monitor:

Oh word, terms like terrible and mediocre are definitely things I associate with the BEST.

Considering "best" is a relative term, literally yes that does qualify a monitor for "best" status considering how terrible HDR is in monitors. The bar is pretty goddamn low.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I think this is what you're wanting? Doesn't show frame rate drop but it shows why you might care one way or the other depending on distance.

This chart seems incomplete without 1440p. In reality these lines are a lot fuzzier, and 1440p sits in a pretty appealing in-between space.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Death On Toast posted:

I went from 4k60 to 1440p155hz on my primary display a couple years ago and have never looked back (mostly gaming usage). I keep the 4k display as my secondary monitor, and any impact on gaming performance is margin of error territory unless there's stuff actively being rendered on the second display.

I actually kinda got curious when writing this so did a quick test to see just what the impact would be, and comparing the junk I usually have open vs. having a Youtube video playing. System is running a 5600X/RTX3090, for reference.

I wonder if they'll be any difference between the CPU and GPU decoding the video on the second screen. If you want to do one more quick test, just for my own curiosity, try disabling hardware-accelerated video decoding in the chrome flags page and running the youtube test again. I have to use this setting anyway because the radeon drivers are trash and do really weird things to twitch VODs (but not live streams) when they're full screen for some reason.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd like to upgrade to 27-inch monitors after I refurnish my home office, so I've been looking at a lot of monitor reviews, but one aspect most reviews don't cover is portrait mode. I'm currently trying to use my Dell s2417dg in portrait mode for some things, but the bad viewing angles of its TN panel make it kinda finnicky. I think I'd like to stick to 1440p for now. Are there any monitors in the 27-inch 1440p bracket with viewing angles that are particularly suited to portrait mode, or will any IPS be good enough for this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Any thoughts on IGZO panels? Apparently a Japanese company is popping up out of nowhere to release yet another 27 inch, 1440p165Hz monitor, this time based on IGZO technology. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/green-house-launches-igzo-gaming-display

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

LCDs were just starting to take off at that point, emphasis on the "starting." Most gamers still had CRTs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

What’s your personal policy on dead pixels? My 27GL83A got a dead pixel a couple inches off center, and it quickly became very annoying. I’ve only had it for just barely a week.

I asked Amazon for a replacement, but I, quietly afraid it will be even worse. As the Dell TN Gsync panel I bought three years ago also has issues and I bought this to try to have a trouble-free monitor, I’m starting to think I should sell the replacement on eBay (I don’t want to get banned from Amazon for too many refund requests) and wash my hands of this whole goddamn thing.

I've literally never had a dead pixel before so I've always assumed they're quite rare. Amazon always sends a warning email when they're considering banning an account for excessive returns, so you should have some level of warning. I don't think two refunds would ever trip that, especially on the same order. Take a picture and catalog every defect before sending the product back so you can show Amazon support if they ask. If you haven't even gotten your first replacement yet, then all this worrying seems a bit premature.

Whatever you do, please do not sell the monitor on ebay when you can at the very least get a full refund. No ban will come before a warning, so as long as you haven't been warned, you'll be safe.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 7, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

We were just talking about the lack of good HDR on desktop monitors, and, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwj0GbbQZqU

Who wants to pay $3000 for an IPS that gets kinda sorta close to OLED HDR quality but with mediocre motion clarity?

Man, I don't know. I wasn't ever gonna spend anywhere close to $3000 on a monitor, but it's still kind of a bummer to see that this is where "cutting edge" desktop monitors are at these days. The HDR really does look quite good, but why does that have to come with such strong drawbacks at such a high price point? I'm considering getting an LG OLED to put next to my desk. I'm gonna refurnish my home office soon anyway, and I should be able to fit in a TV that I can game an acceptable distance from. Hopefully that will scratch the 4k HDR pc gaming itch without having to put a giant TV on my desk.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zosologist posted:

I probably should have been more descriptive. I find myself naturally adjusting my chair and monitor arm so that I'm sitting 10"-16" from my 24" 1080p display, and from here the screen door effect is obnoxious, and the ips, ghosting? lightbleed? whatever in the corners is very distracting. My hope is that a bigger monitor will force me to sit back a bit and a higher quality ips will have less of this ugly rear end light smear in the corners of the screen (would a curvy display help with that?).

I jogged over to Best Buy to have a look at the drat thing but while it was in stock it wasn't on display. I'd love to be convinced that 27 is fine, I guess I defaulted to bigger is better

Well, a 32" 1440p is going to have an identical dpi to 24" 1080p but over a wider area, so the default settings are gonna have you sitting just as close with the same screen door effect. That said, at that resolution and size, you could get away with pushing the monitor further back and turning on windows' scaling feature. Push the monitor back another ten inches and turn on 150% scaling or something, and it should feel about the same, but with less screen-door effect and less harsh on the eyes? Windows' scaling is pretty decent, though some programs don't handle it very well.

That particular monitor you linked is LG's latest version of their 32" Ultragear line and by all accounts is a perfectly fine monitor. The 27" version of this monitor is a thread favorite.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Monitor technology is nothing but a series of compromises. No matter what kind of panel you go with, you're going to end up with something that you wish was better in some areas. If they can drive down the cost of mini-LED backlights, that could be an exciting advancement given its HDR capabilities and potentially better backlight uniformity than normal IPS monitors. Too bad 32 inch mini-LEDs are still $3000+ (see the review I posted a few days ago).

OLED would be almost perfect for computer monitors if it were not for the burn-in issue. It's a non-issue now for general TV and gaming use, but it still makes me worried about the long-term durability for heavy computer use. For example, how long will an OLED last for being run for 10+ hours a day with static interface elements on the screen for most of that duration? If it can't last for at least 5 years under those conditions, I won't even consider it.

So it's basically a race between mini-LEDs becoming cheap enough for midrange consumer monitors and OLEDs getting higher durability pixels that can stand up to long-term everyday use. My money's on mini-LED, though that may still take several years to become affordable.

Are there any other relevant display techs on the horizon?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

Basically it's real unfortunate that Surface-Emission Displays never became a thing

drat, I'm reading about them, and now I'm sad too. It seems like a perfectly viable and appealing technology killed by stupid business bullshit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't really understand this space very well, or how modern USB-C connectivity stuff works, but there are portable monitors that you can move around more easily, like these: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-portable-monitors

Like with that Asus ZenScreen, it looks like if your PC has USB-C with PD, you don't even need separate power cables for it. Not sure how practical that would be for your setup.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cyberdud posted:

Having just purchased a new gaming PC with suggestions from the PC building thread, I'm now looking into buying a new screen to replace my aging ASUS VP247 23.6" FHD (1920x1080) screen. I've been playing 1080P@60hz for a long time and the PC building thread recommended I look into 1440p@144hz as the new PC i bought seems to support that.

Any suggestions based on my current screen? (24") Budget would be around 300$ CAD if possible.

If you bought that 3070 machine, it should support 1440p@144fps in many games but not all. Heavy AAA games will probably struggle a bit (not even 3090s can achieve that framerate at 1080p on Cyberpunk 2077, for example). Still, you can get a solid 1440p variable refresh rate experience with that card.

That said, that budget is too low for a 1440p@144hz monitor. You're looking at spending closer to $400 - 450 CAD for a decent one of those. That's also an uncommon resolution at 24 inches. If you're willing to go up to 27 inches, the Gigabyte M27Q is $400 CAD, which looks to be the cheapest option available for what I'd call a good quality monitor (RTings review).

If you're unwilling to stretch the budget and/or want a 24" display instead, then you'll have to stick with 1080p. The Acer Nitro series is reportedly very good for that price range. In my opinion, if you want to stick to 24 inches, going from 1080p to 1440p won't give you a massive quality upgrade anyway. I have two 24 inch monitors, one of each resolution, and the quality difference in video games is minor to my eyes. And the 3070 will be able to hit 144 fps more consistently at 1080p if that level of smoothness matters a lot to you. Though the bigger 1440p screens do look really nice, I'll admit.

Praxis Prion posted:

The LG 27GL83A-B is the current thread darling for 1440p@144hz. There's a couple other models that are relatively comparable, but this one seems quite favorable to the thread in general. I picked one up myself that I'm using right now, and it's excellent.

It should be noted that the 27GP850 (and 27GP83B) is the newest version of this monitor that offers some minor improvements. It's also well over budget for him.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 19, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

If it's possible to do so, try using a 1440p monitor in person before you decide to get one. I got a 27 inch model, and while the increased refresh rate and adaptive sync are amazing, everything at the default scale is far too small. Changing scaling to 125% across the board makes things bigger but blurrier, and only scaling text results in weird-looking layouts. I picked up a 1920x1200 monitor and now the 1440p is just something I plug in when I want to play an action game without a lot of UI or text.

Lots of people seem to love that size/resolution combo so I'm an outlier, but I have seen other people mention having to fiddle with scaling.

When was the last time you've tried the windows scaling option? It's still far from perfect, but it's gotten a lot better over the years. Only a handful of apps are blurry for me now, and you can set custom app scaling settings to work around those.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shipon posted:

There shouldn't be anything stopping you from running the 144hz monitor at 144hz. I was running a 144hz screen primary and 60hz secondary until I got my ultrawide. Admittedly, the moment you put any GPU-accelerated things on the slower screen everything goes down to that refresh rate so having Youtube on can be problematic, but browser windows and simple things like that should still be able to work.

Correct, Windows can handle multiple refresh rates just fine. It can even handle multiple GPU-accelerated things at different refresh rates on AMD cards. Nvidia drivers seem to be bugged though from what I've heard (and have been for years). This may be another manifestation of Nvidia's buggy multi-monitor handling?

For your issue, you can try disabling hardware-accelerated video rendering in your browser settings (in chrome, it's on the chrome://flags page)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

I recently sent back a m27q because of backlight bleed and im now trying to decide on an alternate 1440p screen, but are all ips screens likely to suffer from bleeding unless they're higher end? Or should I just go with VA instead

Buck Turgidson posted:

I just got an M27Q and it's blowing my mind.

Nice back-to-back posts. Backlight bleed is basically completely random. Some manufacturers are better at reducing backlight variance than others, but it's still basically a lottery with IPS every time. Whether it's bad for you or not is simply luck of the draw. The M27Q is a perfectly fine monitor if you get a panel without bleed. (and if you can overlook the BGR pixels)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a LG panel that's known to be good with more customization, better factory calibration, and a better stand than LG's own model, but for $200 more with the stand. I dunno, I feel like you'd probably be better off just getting the 27GN950 and calibrating it yourself?

edit: apparently that company has a bad track record with quality control and customer support, judging by the youtube comments on that video? Yeah, something tells me you don't want to spend $1000 on a monitor from some random small company. Just buy an LG.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 22, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Samsung is getting into Mini LED now too with a 49-inch 32:9 1440p display: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-delivers-49-inch-mini-led-panel-with-odyssey-neo-g9-gaming-monitor

At a mere $2500, it's cheaper than that $3000 Asus monitor, at least. And deep-pocketed enthusiasts will be more able to justify it as a multi-monitor replacement. (Dimensions-wise, it's equivalent to two 27-inch monitors.) Though I still don't get Samung's obsession with 1000R curvatures.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Budzilla posted:

My 5 year old AGON monitor (AH271QX) is starting to show its age with some display anomalies and will need replacing in the near future. It's a 27 inch TN panel so nothing great, even when I purchased it. So I am in the market for a new monitor and my requirements aren't too strict, I do live in Australia so my options might be limited.
Need:
-32 inch screen
-144hz+ refresh rate
-Freesync (I have a 5700XT)
-1440P resolution or similar

I haven't worked with a curved screen before so I would prefer flat but reviews are pushing me towards a Samsung G7 Odyssey. I do some work on my PC but mainly use it for internet and games so things like viewing angles, excellent colour accuracy aren't really a concern. Primary game is CSGO so something geared towards that.

If you want ridiculously fast response times and refresh rates at 32 inches, then the G7 will probably be the 1440p monitor to get. If you don't need your refresh rates to be quite that high, there's also the cheaper LG 32GP850 to consider.

I'd also recommend the Acer Predator XB323U, but I'm getting mixed messages on whether it's 270hz or 170hz. An amazon listing calls it 270 including all of its promo material, but every other site I look at says 170, so it's probably that. I'm also getting mixed messages as to whether it supports Freesync. Officially it's g-sync, but I'm pretty sure many newer g-sync monitors support freesync now. edit: Microcenter also advertises it as 270Hz and as Freesync compatible. The manufacturer part number for the 270Hz model is UM.JX3AA.X01 it seems, while the 170Hz one is UM.JX3AA.P01. Here's the info straight from Acer's website. I've seen no reviews of this one, but the other Acer Predator monitors tend to review pretty well so this could be a good high-end alternative to the G7.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 29, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Hey guys, i'm thinking of getting a Gigabyte M27Q, but it's freesync and my existing ASUS monitor is G-SYNC. Am I going to be able to get the full refresh rate on both of them? I have an Nvidia RTX2070.

Yes. Variable refresh rate technologies do not hinder max refresh rate. And in fact, the M27Q should be G-Sync compatible as well even if it doesn't market that fact. Turn on Freesync Premium in the monitor settings, and then you should be able to turn on g-sync in the nvidia control panel.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Very conveniently, my primary monitor started randomly changing input channels an hour after I told my wife I was thinking about getting a second monitor for the home office. I'm looking at curved displays as a replacement, which I've never actually seen in person before. Would two 27" curved screens look weird side by side? Also, would it be a terrible idea to buy a Samsung T55? I wasn't saving for this and definitely wasn't expecting to buy two at the same time, so price is important. My computer use is generally 50/50 between coding/writing documentation and 1080p gaming.

1000R is a very aggressive curve, and I definitely wouldn't buy that without trying one for yourself at somewhere like a best buy if possible. Also, the T55 uses a VA panel of middling quality. There's a lot of motion blur and the viewing angles are bad, which are the two biggest drawbacks of VA panels. I honestly don't think it's possible to get a decent-quality VA monitor for less than $300. A lot of companies use them for budget curved monitor options because they're kind of crummy and they excel at curved displays (or rather, their viewing angles are so bad that the edges of the display can be discolored when you're centered if it's flat). You can get better for similar prices if you're just shopping for flat IPS monitors, like the Acer Nitro VG271 and the MSI Optix G272 (I would favor the MSI here). If you can spend a little more, the Asus VG279Q is also a good 1080p. If you're set on having a curved monitor then the MSI Optix G27C5 is a curved version of the aforementioned Optix monitor. But again, I would advise against buying curved monitors sight unseen. (Note that this one's MSRP is $220, but it's availability is low and the prices where it is available are higher than usual. The prior year's G27C4 seems to be in stock at more places for some reasonable prices)

Personally, at 27 inches I think I'd rather look at 1440p monitors than 1080p monitors. You'll have to spend a little bit more money, but there are some relatively cheap-ish options in the 1440p range now. The Gigabyte M27Q is a popular choice at $300.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 4, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the post. I almost pulled the trigger on the T55 but decided to sleep on it, and I'm glad I did. This might be a real, real dumb question, but my GPU maxes out at 1920x1080. This would mean that support for a higher resolution would be wasted, right? Otherwise, I would love to get a 1440p display, I had one at my last job and it was great.

I was going to order a replacement and pick it up tomorrow at Best Buy anyway, so I think I'll just go in and check them out in person.

By the way, thanks also for the links to the reviews. I was having a ridiculous time finding a site that didn't just link to products on Amazon for the referral fee without providing critical review.

What's your GPU, exactly? I'm not sure I've heard of a GPU having a hard cap on resolution. It's possible that games and windows are restricting your resolution options because you have a 1080p monitor and not because of your GPU.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

It's a GeForce GTX 960 (2 GB). Looking at the specs, I was wrong. Max is 4096x2160 over HDMI, 2560x1600 over DVI. Cool, I can check out some 1440p monitors then!

That should run Windows at 1440p, but I doubt you'll be running very many games since that's a pretty low-powered graphics card. You can still run them at 1080p on a 1440p monitor, though there may be some slight scaling blurriness happening as a result. Unless you're planning on upgrading your GPU soon (something that's stupidly hard to do right now), maybe 1080p monitors would be preferable after all. Sorry for sending mixed messages, I wasn't considering your GPU at first.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

I haven't got a new monitor for well over a decade, and my improbably indestructible Asus VK222H is finally starting to crap out. (it works perfectly fine, except if it's been off overnight, it has a hard time turning back on. Power light blinks, shows a weird white screen. I know it's about to work right when it actually shows the Asus logo) So I have no idea what I'm doing with monitors whatsoever.

I've got a small monitor space with a window behind me that does give me pretty bad monitor glare certain times of the day. I use my computer for gaming, photoshopping stupid poo poo, and watching movies. I've got a GeForce GTX 1660.

How small of a monitor space are we talking, here? Is anything bigger than 22 inches out of the question? The 1660 is a soundly 1080p card, and I wouldn't want to get a higher resolution display than that for that thing. 24 or 24.5 inches are the standard 1080p monitor sizes, with those being roughly on par with the VK222H's pixel density.

For these conditions, I would recommend the Acer Nitro XF243Y. It has strong motion clarity at 60 Hz (which is important since I doubt your 1660 will be going much higher) and good post-calibration color accuracy. It is g-sync compatible too. According to the RTings reviews, the Alienware AW2521HF has better reflection handling and peak brightness (good for drowning out outside light), but that comes at the cost of slightly worse response times at 60Hz and also +$117 (at minimum, that's accounting for a sale price). (edit: and it should be noted when looking at that comparison that RTings uses some kind of formulaic "objective" scoring system that is awarding points to the Acer monitor for having HDR support, even though that HDR support is terrible and you should never use it)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 7, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQeOkmKpBxQ

Turns out that Mini-LED and VA are a pretty good pairing! Samsung's $2500 49" 32:9 Mini-LED display blows Asus' $3000 32" 4K Mini-LED IPS out of the water in most categories. Both of those are way more than I could ever justify spending on a monitor, but I'm excited to see where this technology goes from here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Only reason I can think of to do that is to dodge the bug in the nvidia drivers that causes a game to slow down if you're playing a video at a lower refresh rate on a second monitor. That's a pretty expensive work-around though. I'll be buying new monitors soon-ish, and if I go 4K, I'll probably pick up a cheap(ish) Dell monitor alongside a more expensive gaming monitor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm mostly just impressed by how the miniLED backlight enhances a panel technology that already has strong contrast performance. Thanks to that, they pulled off the extremely rare feat of releasing a computer monitor with actual good HDR.

Paul MaudDib posted:

And the G7 (the 16:9 version) is $750 or so, in a world where IPS 27" monitors go for $400. It's like the early days of IPS adoption. Samsung is very proud of them.

That doesn't have a miniLED backlight. I would expect a 16:9 version of the Neo G9 with a 1000-zone FALD backlight to cost in excess of $1000. This technology will definitely take at least few more years before it's affordable enough for anyone but the most hardcore of enthusiasts to buy into it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

^^edit: the 32GN650 is the newer model of that monitor and is just $11 more on newegg. It comes with a slightly faster refresh rate (max of 165 as opposed to 144)

The Joe Man posted:

I'm driving myself nuts trying to find something that includes everything I want:
32in
Flat
VA Panel (for deep blacks/darker room use. IPS would be totally fine if the model solves the greyed/washed out blacks issue)
240hz (this is negotiable but if available, hell yes)
Rotatable vertically so I can play fullscreen pinball like a dork

The closest thing to this that's decent is the LG 32GN650-B, a 2k display at 165Hz: https://www.newegg.com/black-red-lg-ultragear-32gn650-b-32/p/0JC-000D-00BG3

It being a VA panel, the viewing angles are quite bad, and discoloration happens whenever you're off-center. You can rotate it using the included stand, but the viewing angles in portrait mode may present a situation where some part of the screen will always have discoloration no matter what. My pretty decent TN panels do this to some degree, and I expect the issue to be worse with a VA panel.

I don't think you'll find anything better than this within those requirements.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

That's not bad but I kind of wish it was at least a 30" display? I feel like 4k on anything less is just going to be too small?

Gigabyte already has a 32 inch 4K monitor, the FI32U. It costs a thousand dollars. :)

I guess a midrange version of that is coming too (it'll be the "M32U"). It'll probably be an extra $100-$200 over the M28U.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is windows upscaling still kind of bugged at 150%? I thought for a while things didn't look right unless it was 100% or 200%.

I've been using 125% on my 24 inch 1440p monitor for a couple years now, and it's fine for like 95% of things. Some apps don't like moving from an unscaled monitor to a scaled one (Bluestacks' UI breaks when you do this, to name one). Sometimes apps will end up oddly resized if you change the scaling factor while the app is open on that monitor. Discord used to do this, but they've fixed it a while ago I believe.

The apps that are most likely to have blurry text are ones that use the old style windows UI. For the most part, Windows is pretty good at fixing these issues. It looks at the scaling of your primary display and tries to render everything so it's blur-free on that display. However, if you have a multi-monitor setup where your monitors have different scaling levels, the text in programs with that old-style UI will appear blurry on the secondary display, even if that secondary display is at 100% scaling. It's mostly in those multi-monitor situations with different scaling levels and with programs that have a legacy windows UI where it becomes a problem, and even then it's not too hard to work around. There may be some random other apps that are an issue, but they aren't very common from what I've seen. Everything else just works, and largely looks better than low-res 100% scaled apps.

In the program's compatibility settings you can override the windows scaling, if you can't get it to look crisp any other way. Go into the program's properties, click "Change high DPI settings" in the compatibility tab, and then click the override setting and set that to application control. It should ignore the windows scaling entirely, and then you can rely on the program's own features to increase font size or what have you. You'll also want to do this with some games, though for the most part I just turn down the scaling when launching a game. I don't think it's a problem for most new games, but I've had some older games break a little when using scaling.

But just about anything modern just works. And text and UI elements look awesome on a high-DPI display, making it worth the handful of issues you'll have to work around imo.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 13, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Is there significant advantage to 4k vs. 1080p screens for mostly office work these days?

Absolutely. I would even say that, when talking specifically about desktop computers, productivity work is the only reason to consider 4k. For gaming and media consumption, you're honestly better off saving money and getting a 1440p display because the difference there will be fairly minor (unless you're willing to get a huge display)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 13, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of OLED "monitors", it seems Gigabyte has jumped on board the OLED train and has essentially repackaged LG's 48-inch OLED panel into a "gaming monitor" with the Aorus FO48U, released a couple months ago. I'm sort of confused as to what the point of this thing is. Being a monitor now, it ditches all the TV-related stuff which is fair enough, and it adds a displayport input, which is good but kind of pointless in a 4k/120Hz device that already has HDMI 2.1. Those two things about sum up all the meaningful differences. It doesn't seem to do anything different from the C1 when it comes to burn-in prevention, which is something you might want when using it as a computer monitor. There is an auto-dimmer when the display is inactive for a set period of time, but windows has inactivity settings already, anyway. Just, why does this exist?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 14, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's my bad. I thought HDMI 2.1 was more common on graphics cards than it is. I'm glad I never tried to pair my 5700 XT with an HDMI 2.1 device.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Specifically it's the 27GN850 that the thread has spoke favorably of in the past, which is a more expensive, higher-end display. I don't know if anyone's expressed any favorable opinions of the 27GL83A. It seems like a perfectly okay display, though.

I've seen some positive impressions of the Gigabyte M27Q. That's a $300 monitor with better responsiveness than the lower-end LG monitors according to RTings, but it has BGR pixels. Based on the impressions of the people here, the BGR pixels aren't actually that big of a deal on this one and text still appears clear for the most part.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

RVT posted:

What's a 1440p 27 inch IPS monitor I can use as a generic second screen? Been looking at Amazon and NewEgg and there are so many options, and they are all sorts of weird brands and prices are all over the place.

The Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD is over-specced for a secondary monitor, but it's a rather good value at $250 currently, which is basically the price you'd pay for a shittier secondary 1440p monitor anyway. The stand has very little adjustability though, which may be a problem when lining it up with your primary. Most budget monitors will be like this, so you'll probably want some monitor arms either way. The only cheaper monitors I'm seeing are from weirdo brands I've never heard of like "VICABO" and "Z-EDGE." I have no idea who these guys are and I don't trust them.

Armadillo Tank posted:

A simple question: I'm have a 1440p monitor which is nice

However I want to watch movies and all of them have really dark color palettes etc

The blacks don't come through and Alien looked like garbage.

Is OLED just generally the best for black presentation in movies etc right now?

(edit: its an Asus PB278Q 27.0" 2560x1440 60 Hz Monitor and i want better color for movies)

IPS monitors are always gonna look like garbage when it comes to dark scenes. If you want a monitor that can handle darks well, you'll either have to get an expensive OLED, or you can give a VA panel a shot, though the best one of those is quite expensive as well (the Samsung Odyssey G7)

VA panels have far superior contrast ratios to IPS displays, though they aren't on the same level as OLEDs. The biggest downside to them is that their responsiveness, especially in dark areas of the screen, can be bad and smearing/ghosting can happen as a result. The Odyssey G7 does an excellent job of eliminating that downside almost entirely. The second biggest downside of VA panels is the viewing angles. The G7's aggressive curve reduces the impact of bad viewing angles for a single user, but worsens it if anyone else is trying to look at the screen next to you. But yes, OLED is the best when it comes to black levels. Nothing is going to beat them anytime soon. You won't find one for an affordable price as a monitor, though. Gigabyte recently released the FO48U, a $1500 48" monitor based on LG's OLED panel.

edit: removed some mistaken advice based on a review for a similar but different model of your monitor. the rest above still applies. There are no good cheap options for high-contrast computer monitors currently, unfortunately.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 21, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Something that gets overlooked a lot is that higher framerates also give you higher visual quality—it's not always a tradeoff. The clearest illustration of this is the video game motion test at UFO Test: https://testufo.com/framerates-versus

Compare a high refresh rate like 144 to half that number with perfect frame pacing enabled. You don't really notice how much visual clarity you're losing when things on your screen are moving until you see a direct comparison like this. Obviously there will be no difference if your PoV is stationary and you're looking at a mostly still image, but as soon as things start moving, higher framerates may improve the look of the game way more than a higher resolution will (and this is with no post processing/motion blur).

UFO Test also has a bunch of random other things to observe about your monitor and the nature of motion on modern displays. It's a neat site.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 21, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I use a TV as a monitor (sorry!) on an adjustable desk. I'm looking into getting a new 55 inch one and can get a discount on a Samsung. I use it for internet browsing, media and gaming. (The latter two usually from the couch and with my PC specs, the gaming is unlikely to go up to 4k anytime soon)

Broad question but anything I should be looking for in the specs or lines?

Samsung lists a lot of stuff as UHD 4k which I guess isn't "real" 4k by a couple hundred pixels? And they do QLED instead of OLED? (Which is bad for some reason?)

UHD is just another name for 4K, they're the same thing. So "UHD 4K" is a bit silly and redundant, but it just means 4K (3840 x 2160). That's the resolution every other 4K TV will be at.

QLEDs aren't bad, they just lack some of the positive qualities of OLED. QLEDs are a type of LCD display that is much like every other TV made in the last 15 years, but a decent bit better at delivering good contrast ratios for HDR content due to having a large array of backlights instead of just one big backlight or a small handful of backlit zones (like most LCD monitors currently).

OLEDs use self-emissive organic pixels. Basically, a thin film of organic material that reacts to electric charges by emitting light. There is no backlight. The benefit is that blacks are truly unlit black, which provides amazing contrast ratios that no other panel technology can match. They also tend to have very strong color accuracy, great viewing angles, and instant response times (blur-free motion). The downside is that peak brightness is low and burn-in is a thing (meaning you'll have to take anti-burn-in measures for computer use).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Target Practice posted:

Any recommendations for baby's first 1440p monitor? Just went from an 11 year old PC to a 5600X and RTX 2080. Noticed last night that I'm maxing out my 1920x1080 acer at 60 fps in BFV. Would live to upgrade without breaking the bank.

Also, if I did, would I be able to run my current monitor as a second one even if their resolutions were different?

At $300, the M27Q is a current mid-budget favorite. It offers good refresh rates and response times, but its BGR subpixels can make text look slightly blurry in some applications such as Chrome (but ClearType can resolve text issues in many other applications). It compares very well to much more expensive monitors in the areas that matter most to gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

If I can get the Dell S2721DGF for $70 (not USD) less than the M27, is that the way to go?

Here's a comparison of the two: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tools/compare/gigabyte-m27q-vs-dell-s2721dgf/19668/16485?usage=3623&threshold=0.10

It seems like that'd be a pretty decent buy if you can get it for cheap.