Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
From what I goggled, a 5ms response time monitor and a 2ms response time monitor is not noticeable even when gaming?

Just need some goon confirmation if possible

edit: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61956&promoid=1248

This is the one I have my eye on btw.

VVVVVV Thank you VVVVVVVV

MikeC fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hey folks looking for some overall advice after reading a lot of sometimes conflicting stuff on the internet. I live in Toronto Canada.

My current situation is that I am growing increasingly unhappy with my current moderately OC'd i5-2500k + 970 setup @ 1080p. The rig has served me well enough through things like Witcher 3 and GTA 5 and of course runs WoW just fine but am I right that I will need to pony up for a new system for Cyberpunk unless I am willing to turn down a lot of settings? I would wait till closer to release date to get a new rig but there are things that are annoying me right now like Warhammer Total War 2 turn times being a next to unreasonable and making me actively not play it. This is not an SSD vs HD issue, I already have SSDs on my current rig.

Other games potentially coming out soonish that would probably benefit me from getting a system sooner rather than later are things like the CoD Modern Warfare remake, Jedi Fallen Order, and Ghost Recon, and things out now like Metro.

I am also very interested in jumping on nVidia's ray tracing hype train. Their demos look amazing. I am also looking into 1440p gaming but some folks here seem lukewarm on it though, from my average viewing distance of 23-26 inches, I am told by the interwebs that 1440p with higher pixel density with bigger screen size would be a good upgrade for me. Other places tell me that 144hz gaming is "the truth" and that I should not chase higher pixel count but rather top end refresh rate.

At the end of the day, I am willing to spend up to $2000 Canadian dollars before tax on an overall package (maybe a bit more ) but am not necessarily looking to spend that much if gains in my "enjoyment" would be marginal compared to a lower price point. I am looking at a few scenarios and have trouble discerning what is wise from a potential price to performance and potential future technology coming down the pipeline.

1. Keep my Asus VE247 monitor and keep gaming at 1080p @ 60hz and build a system that can perform at that resolution either Q3 2019 for games now or wait till Q1 or Q2 2020 and simply suck it up until Cyberpunk actually drops. Potentially migrating my 970 over until Cyberpunk actually comes out.

2. Upgrade to 1080p @ 144hz with the same timeline decisions as above. I am kind of half skeptical of this one, I assume this is more for pro twitch gaming?

3. Upgrade to 1440p @ 60hz and build a system with the same timeline decisions as above.

As I said, I am not afraid to spend a bit of money but I want to spend it wisely, it been a long time since I bought a new computer and I know ultimately I have to figure out what I am happy with but I would like to get some perspective from goons who are more on top of these things.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Indiana_Krom posted:

You don't really have to pick one or the other, just get a 1440p/144 Hz IPS freesync monitor such as the Nexus NX-EDG27S v2 and you can do both.

The pixel density/size will look better and its freesync range makes the Hz debate irrelevant because it will operate smoothly anywhere from 30 Hz to 144 Hz. So it will absolutely do 1440p/60 better than an actual 1440p/60 monitor could because of the flexibility afforded by its freesync range.

Thanks for the info! It feels a bit like it will be out of bounds for budgeting given that CDN dollars don't go nearly as far.

edit: Freesync vs Gsync means I have to commit to a matching video card right? Nvdia for Gsync?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

alex314 posted:

Warhams 2 Mortal Empires campaign is ntorious for long turn times. I got a pretty decent PC and it still takes a minute or so. Three Kingdoms is way better in that regard.
I'd advise to wait if the games you play now run ok, in the meantime put that cash aside and simply buy within your budget once CP 2077 can't run well on your desired quality. CDPR will probably put some nice nVidia future tech (RT global illumination confirmed), but it might be another "hairworks", in which it murders performance for a small quality increase.

My Mortal Empires turn times feel much longer than a minute, I'll time it when I get a chance. I have heard people getting sub minute turns with a modern PC

It looks like I will be waiting for a bit to see how the next gen of cards shake out since CyberPunk isn't due to next year.

Indiana_Krom posted:

You don't really have to pick one or the other, just get a 1440p/144 Hz IPS freesync monitor such as the Nexus NX-EDG27S v2 and you can do both.

The pixel density/size will look better and its freesync range makes the Hz debate irrelevant because it will operate smoothly anywhere from 30 Hz to 144 Hz. So it will absolutely do 1440p/60 better than an actual 1440p/60 monitor could because of the flexibility afforded by its freesync range.

So you would recommend that I do pony up the cash for a 144Hz monitor then with G/Freesync? There is a computer store reasonably close that has stations set up, I guess I'll drop by and have a look to see if they can demonstrate to me the difference between all the technologies.

Edit: Thanks to everyone for chiming in, much appreciated.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Thanks for great replies several weeks ago. Still planning on waiting a couple more months before building a new system but I wanted to get some additional personal opinions of people who have viewed both IPS and high-end TN panels as that is the last part of the build I am trying to nail down.

My aim is to upgrade to a 27-inch 1440p high refresh rate monitor and the things I do on my computer is game, surf, and watch Youtube/netflix. When I am at my computer, it will be solo with no one else sitting beside me. I am starting to think saving a hundred bucks or so and getting a high quality TN panel might be the right choice. Some dude on reddit though says that even on a good TN panel that has good colour reproduction, it is possible to detect "gamma shift and uneven colour across the panel" even at an optimal angle.

Now I sit around 2 to 2.5 feet away from my monitor and on a 24 in 1080p TN, I don't notice what he is talking about. Is this true or is it just my untrained eye? Will larger monitors like going to 27 inches make this more apparent?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Are there any known issues or misinformation with the Blurbuster website? I have been doing a lot of monitor research to try and not be totally clueless about my upcoming build and came across this website off a Linustech video. This site seems to say that if you don't get a monitor with ULMB technology, then GtG times are relatively pointless past a certain point as motion blue still exists with 0ms GtG times. I mean I am going to be upgrading from a 60Hz monitor that is close to 10 years old and it looks like a 144 Hz monitor is going to do me a lot of good but is some kind of ULMB technology even more important than refresh rate and GtG pixel response times?

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/60vs120vslb/

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Paul MaudDib posted:

Cheap VA for art stuff and a secondary high-refresh IPS or TN for gaming.

Basically, VA and OLED are still hands and shoulders above anything else for contrast and brightness but OLED has burn-in and VA smears really badly displaying motion in dark areas. That leaves IPS, which has good but not VA level contrast. If you go 4K HDR then you can kinda get the best of both worlds but it's going to be eye-wateringly expensive ($2000+) and kinda funky and contrast still isn't amazing by VA standards.

For $400 you can get a really nice IPS to game on and another $200-300 should buy you a VA for that contrasty goodness. Or you can just pick one and live with the compromises in gaming clarity or in contrast.

Bear in mind if you do art stuff you may not like the curve that most VA panels come with, it can screw up straight lines. VA also has fairly limited viewing angle. You're kinda giving everything up for more contrast.

The LG 32 inch VA panel seems to have been well reviewed by Hardware unboxed and most reviews seem to indicate that the black to grey transitions aren't too bad.

Been looking at a lot of options up here in canuck land and given our terrible purchase power, I'll probably be getting a VA panel. I'll report back. Good thing Walmart has a good return policy

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

K8.0 posted:

People who don't actually test them or play games will always tell you VA transitions aren't bad. People who do will publish the pictures and numbers that prove that they're awful. Darker transitions often take 2-3+ frames to occur.

There are trade offs, I get it, it is just that a decent, high refresh rate IPS panel with some sort of VRR tech, in Canada is pushing 800+. Even VA monitors with good refresh and VRR are normally 600+ dollars. I am getting the LG32GK650 for 500 canuck dollars which is the best deal I can find anywhere. Tech in Canada is absurdly expensive for some reason. Walmart has a good return policy from what I read so yeah, I am going to take the dive. My CoD days are pretty much behind me. If it can run something like Cyberpunk. I am not going to complain.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Constellation I posted:

Not really that true anymore. I really suggest not compromising with VA and just going with IPS, budget IPS options are also available in Canada now:

ASUS VG27AQ - $579 CAD https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX78851

Acer VG271UP - $599 CAD https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/acer-v...e/6000199591874

Viewsonic VX2758 $416 CAD (pre-order) https://www.pc-canada.com/item/VX2758-2KP-MHD.html

The LG 27GL850 I got from Amazon earlier this month was $619 CAD but that was also mostly getting lucky with Amazon's dynamic pricing. The old guard Acer XB271HU will occasionally go down to $700 as well from time to time.

The Viewsonic listed above is definitely the best deal so far, but it's a pre-order. I'd imagine the price will be slightly higher once it goes on the regular Canadian computer retailers. Not much is known about this panel as of yet, but the specs on the official website points to it having similar specs to any of the monitors mentioned above, so Viewsonic could be using any of those panels and selling it below the typical price for these things. https://www.viewsonic.com/ap/products/lcd/VX2758-2KP-MHD.php

I suggest waiting it out a bit more and see how things play out or just buy any of the monitors above.

Thanks, friend, I really do appreciate the links.

The ASUS model is a gsync only bastard and I am not going to get trapped with team green. Not just out of principle since they gouge consumers but budget reasons as well. My new build is centered around a 5700xt and I don't feel like paying for the nVidia tax and locking myself into nVidia cards for the forseeable future. I did look at a ton of IPS options. Its been a 3 week process. The more I read about VA vs IPS and look at youtube comparison videos, the more it feels like its a personal preference thing. Not to mention I see a lot of IPS complaints about backlight glow and bleeding and I am in a dark room when at my computer.

If the 32 in VA doesn't work out, I am just going to spend 700 dollars for the LG 27GL850 at memory express and just accept the fact that I blew my budget but got the stuff I want. If it wasn't for walmart's return policy on this, I wouldn't have even bothered. But for me its worth a shot and I want to see the panel in front of me since I have never had anything other than a TN.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

MikeC posted:

The LG 32 inch VA panel seems to have been well reviewed by Hardware unboxed and most reviews seem to indicate that the black to grey transitions aren't too bad.

Been looking at a lot of options up here in canuck land and given our terrible purchase power, I'll probably be getting a VA panel. I'll report back. Good thing Walmart has a good return policy

So the LG 32gk650f arrived late Thursday night and I dropped my new RX 5700xt into my ancient 2500k rig and have spent a good portion of the weekend swapping games on and off my SSDs and putting the new equipment through its paces.

First off, 31.5 inches feels huge on my desk. I was playing games on what now feels like a puny 24 inch display and it is awesome. I loaded up a wanabe taticool shooter called Squad and pixel hunting for enemy soldiers feels much more immersive with the huge screen. Warhammer Total War 2 battles look incredible. VRR and 144 Hz has also been game-changing. Going from a Vsync'd 60Hz monitor to this makes everything feel so much better in games. No more having to decide between micro stuttering and imaging tearing is great. The image sharpness looks better in games than my old 1080p monitor which doesn't make much sense since from what I understand 1440p at 32 inches is pretty much the same as 1080p at 24 inches but maybe that is this image sharpening thing that the new video card has. Colours and depth of images look fantastic. There is very clearly angle issue deficiency from IPS panels I saw in stores. Sitting between 28 and 32 inches away from the screen, I have to be pretty much dead on center or brightness will start to drop off from sides of the screen. Vertically, I don't have this issue as I can slouch a bit and still not notice anything. This issue is much less noticeable than with my old Asus TN panel though.

With respect to the black to dark/grey transitions. I know its there and it exists in reality and can find it but I can't see it in practical terms when I set the overdrive mode to the fastest setting. I mean I can go to blurbusters and run their UFO tests and it tells me very clearly that there is this nasty black smear trailing the UFO but I am unable to spot it games I have tested with darker visual graphics like XCOM2, Witcher 3 during evenings and nights, and World of Warcraft dungeons. Either the pixel transitions occur at very certain ranges that are rare and thus they don't happen often enough for me to spot them, or I am simply incapable of spotting them when they are as part of an overall moving image not designed specifically to test for and highlight this particular deficiency and thus I am not focused enough to see it.

There is a "black light stabilizer mode" that actually "eliminates" this entire issue but it feels like a joke. From what I can tell it simply tells the monitor make its deepest black half as black as it should be, and then rescale the colours and brightness to this new setting. I guess if you don't have any black to begin with you can't have any bad black to grey transitions :rolleyes:. I have no idea who would actually use that mode but I am not bothered since I don't need that feature.

Overall I am super happy with the purchase. I am going to put more time in with the Witcher this week and I have GTA 5 downloading right now to try it and see if I can pay attention and find how the slow transitions really affect image quality. But given that Walmart.ca has upped the price back from 499 to 649 it is unlikely I'll be returning it without another sensible option presenting itself before the 2 week return policy kicks in. It is a shame I can't just as easily take the ASUS VG27AQ for a spin, try it out and return it if I don't like it for don't feel it is worth the extra 80 bucks. The store in my region that has it in stock is quite a drive away even if they have a good return policy. Does anyone have any recommendation on games I should try where I will likely feel pissed off with the VA panel that I haven't tried already so far?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Iron Lung posted:

That LG: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LyCD4D/lg-32gk650f-b-03-2560x1440-144-hz-monitor-32gk650f-b (but it's also kinda huge, but also only $299 at microcenter currently.)

I have had this monitor for roughly a month and I have absolutely no complaints. Ignore the blacklight stabilizer feature, it just turns black into greys to prevent smearing.
But unless you specifically look for it, I can't notice it.

Pixel response times are generally very competitive with IPS outside the dark to dark transition.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Iron Lung posted:

You don't feel like a 32" is too big on a desktop? Part of me wants it, and part of me feels like I'll look like your av whenever I play anything.

It feels huge but the experience is very immersive. I used to game on a 24-inch 1080p panel and I can't go back. You do need around 27+ inches of separation though from the screen or you will start to notice the VA viewing angle limitations. The monitor is only for myself though and I sit straight on so it doesn't bother me at all. I learned to sit back after a week or so with it rather than lean forward as I did with my 1080p panel. I definitely made sure to buy from a vendor with a good return policy (walmart.ca) in case I didn't like it. Goons here look down on VA panels and there are downsides but it fits my needs just fine. I suggest you do the same regardless of whatever monitor you choose.

re: my av. someone didn't take kindly to me making fun of them in the WoW forums. I quite like though so I didn't bother changing it out.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Every product is going to have lemons. Backlight bleed is a known potential downside to IPS. It depends on your tolerance on these kinds of issues. Every panel type has downsides. Like goons here are IPS or bust and hate on VA for example but I got a VA and I am just fine blurring or no.

These are subjective things that you need to test for yourself. Find a vendor that has a good return policy is a good safety net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
All panels of all types will have some backlight bleed. IPS panels invariably will have some. How serious is a lottery even within the model. How much bleed is acceptable is an individual taste thing. Just know that IPS is slightly more prone to this issue but carries other advantages over other panel types.