Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've got an Acer XB271HU from like 2015 which has been good to me but I've been trying to find something comparable that also has HDR. Any 27" 1440p/Gsync IPS monitors with somewhat decent HDR support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ended up getting a LG 27GL83A-B which I think is similar to that one. It's arriving tomorrow so I'm excited. I have an Acer XB271hu and some cheap LG 4K monitor as a secondary. I wasn't going to sidegrade/upgrade but it was like $299 Canadian thanks to a price error so I went for it. Hopefully I'm not disappointed. It was pretty impulsive and I didn't even have time to notice there are no USB ports for my bias lighting but I'll just use a hub or something.

Glad to hear you like yours Howler, I think the GL850 and mine are mostly the same aside from wide color gamut and USB ports. I mostly game on mine anyway and it sounds like from online reviews that its a slight upgrade to the Acer I have.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I ended up trying a Samsung Odyssey G7 and I'm returning the LG 27GL83A-B I got. It was fine but the Odyssey just blows it away. I was coming from an old Acer XB271hu which is still a solid monitor to this day but the Samsung is super impressive. Blacks are excellent, motion handling is good and the calibration was decent out of the box. I expected problems with backlight bleed and flickering but no issues at all, if there is a panel lottery then I definitely won it. I guess the firmware has fixed the Gsync issues because mine is flawless with adaptive sync enabled on all of the games I've tried. This thing even has some bias lighting built into the back but it's too weak to really notice so I turned it off. I thought the curve would bother me but it's the opposite, it's loving great for gaming. I'm going to return the LG and sell the Acer to help offset the cost a bit. I could've probably waited until Black Friday for a deal but no guarantees and with the supply situation these days I would rather just eat the $100 savings and enjoy it right now. Anyways what a great monitor for gaming, super happy with it so far.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If that kind of quality was universal among all G7s shipped, it would be the best gaming monitor on the market, hands down. The QA issues seem way too frequent for a $700 - $800 monitor, though. Glad yours turned out well. When everything works correctly, it looks amazing.

Yeah I made sure to pick it up from Amazon so that I could return it easily. I think they had a bad run in 2020, looking at reddit for 2021 I don't see anywhere near as many complaints.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's a good 32" or 34" 4k monitor that will primarily be used for gaming? My restrictions are not curved and not OLED. Right now I have a 27" MSI Optix Mag274qrf-qd which I'm pretty happy with but I would like to step it up to a 4k monitor since I have a 4090 now.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Appreciate the advice above but I ended up going against my own rules and getting a curved OLED - Alienware 3423DWF due to some absurd discounts and coupon stacking here in Canada.

We own two OLED TVs so I know what to expect but Windows presents its own set of challenges. I'm assuming at a minimum I should do the following:

- Stick to mostly gaming
- Try to avoid playing 200 hours of BG3 on it with no variation in usage pattern
- Dark mode
- Auto-hide Taskbar
- Turn down SDR brightness
- Screensaver or auto-off monitor after 15 minutes of idle time

Anything else I should consider doing to help stave off burn-in as long as possible? I've put in something ridiculous like 2000+ hrs gaming into the TVs without issue but those are LG panels and we vary it up quite a bit between streaming, gaming and TV.

I'm keeping my second monitor for web/apps and I'm going to flip it vertical so this monitor is going to be strictly gaming.

I've never owned an ultrawide before either. Are most games decent about UW support these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hope I remember to do it that often. I'm used to image retention from the plasma days and a lot of people seem to confuse burn in with IR. My OLED upstairs is a second generation LG that has been beaten to crap between games and TV, it has some very minor IR that's noticeable on grey screens but not in practical usage. I cleared it with pixel refreshing a few times though it has come back so is probably a sign of early burn in. I can't complain though since I bought this like 7-8 years ago and haven't really done anything preventative. I hear QD-OLED is a whole different ballgame though. I will check out the rtings stuff.

I wish auto-hide taskbar would work consistently, sometimes it just refuses to hide after exiting a game or an app like wallpaper engine.