Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
U3011 Refurb on sale for $899 /w free shipping at Dell Outlet.

90 day warranty only. If you call and bargain you can get two years for somewhere between $50 and $150 depending on the whim of your CSR's Manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anti_Social posted:

I didn't see that anyone else here was aware of this, but:

http://www.overlordcomputer.com/

From reading on another forum - it looks like a USA company hooked up with a supplier, to produce some A-grade (not A-) LG IPS displays, for similar prices to what you can get on ebay. Looks like the features are all the same, minus some reading points to the stands not being rubbish. This is nowhere on the site, but an email I got today says:

I'll be picking up one of these for myself next week, I think.

This is not getting enough love. I've been seriously debating jumping on the latest 120Hz.net batch, but if they're guaranteeing a pixel perfect overclockable monitor for $100 less . . .

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if the Korean 27" IPS displays with HDMI input do any scaling, or how they handle Audio over HDMI? Trying to figure out the feasibility of hooking up a PS3/XBox360 to one.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

To answer your other question, yes, if you buy a non-AD, non-multiple-input version, you MUST pass it a 2560x1440 signal or it will not display anything.

Can someone confirm this? I thought most monitors without a scaler would just display other resolutions at 1:1 letterboxed.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

get a korean 30" IPS from ebay for ~$650?

edit: Was having trouble finding these, but finally did find them. Anyone have any experience with them?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

From all that's been said, they're pretty similar to the 27" ones: big, cheap, and a pretty nice panel that has a good chance of having some dead/stuck pixels. They also will likely suffer some amount of backlight bleeding, and may or may not exhibit "flickering" backlights if you turn them down much from full-bright. They also use literally the cheapest parts available, other than the panel itself.

So it is going to compare favorably to a Dell U3011 or something? Hell no. The panel quality will be similar, and the Dell will win on literally every single other front (unless you're really upset by Dell's AG coating--the Korean ones typically don't have any AG at all) other than price. Then again, being 1/2 the price is a pretty big deal for most people, and would more than cover the price of a new GPU hefty enough to actually drive it.

Thanks for the summary. 30" pixel perfects seem to be around $1000 unless I'm missing something, at which point it seems like you might as well pay up.

Looking at the 30" models though the Crossover 3020MDP seems to be a newer revision of their 30" monitor, it looks like it's build quality is better than the other and actually ships with a VESA mount. At $750 it might be worth a gamble.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 20, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if there are any updates to the Dell u3011 in the pipeline?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just got my 2713HM . . . this thing is an absolute beast. It should probably replace the 2711 in the op if it's supposed to reference the most current model from each brand.

It's also the first monitor I've used that's way too bright for me, mainly because of the screen area and slightly less aggressive AG coating. Guess it's time to install flux.

Is there any suggested software/methods to search for dead pixels?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Nov 4, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you've been looking for a deal on the U2713HM costco has them online for $650 including shipping. How good of a deal this is probably depends on how much you'd end up paying in tax.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magic Underwear posted:

edit: The korean monitors, while physically smaller, have 33% more pixels than that monitor AND cost half as much. Doesn't seem like much of a bargain when you think about it that way, does it?

Just wanted to add, for whatever reason, the 30" Korean Monitors have a very small discount on the U3011 for pixel perfect, $200 or so the last time I looked. I'm not sure why it's such a dramatic difference compares to the 27" monitor discounts.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My parents' eyesight are starting to go to the point where they are having trouble using their current 20" LCD. I want to buy a 32" TV for them to use as a monitor.

Is there any specific one I should get, or is pretty much every 1080p 60Hz screen the same?

(edit: the one I'm specifically considering is something from the Samsung 5000 series. The specific model number seems to vary very slightly by who caries it, which I assume is to prevent price matching)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 2, 2012

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ixpodsix posted:

U2713HM at Best Buy also for $650 with free shipping

Is there any reason to go with the U2711 over this, besides the connection options?

The AG coating on the 2711 is much more aggressive than the 2713HM. This is a positive or negative depending on your work condition. I personally prefer the 2713HM (assuming it's the same AG coating as on most other Dell's).

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does it still make sense to buy a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor in 2020 for PC mainly used for programming? The used prices on them are super attractive. Or if pricing wasn't an issue, do the 32" 3840x2160 just make much more sense?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 6, 2020

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any opinion or reviews of the LG 32UN650-W, their 32" 4K IPS monitor that came out about a month ago? Surprised at the lack of opinions out there for a brand new 32" 4K IPS monitor under $500.

Seriously considering it for a WFH PC, and just getting absolutely paralyzed by choice. The BenQ EW3270U and Samsung UJ590 also being top contenders.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I acquired a 30" 1600p screen that I was assured there were no dead pixels. After getting it there is what appear to be a cluster of dead pixels dead center in the screen. After getting out my loupe and looking closer though, I believe it's actually dust that somehow got trapped behind the glass. It has an irregular shape and I can clearly see subpixels firing as I cycle through pure RGB.

Is there any way to fix this?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Don't want to exaggerate, but as a bottom tier FPS player I feel like that high frame rate really was helping me play better. The fluidity just made it feel natural. Unfortunately, with my pc I'm not going to be playing many other games at that kind of frame rate.

A very long time ago there was a good Overwatch coach in the tryhard thread that mentioned the two things that immedietly made players noticeably improve was (1) getting a high refresh rate monitor, and (2) setting up their mouse correctly.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So around Black Friday, I did a bunch of research into 32" Gaming 4K displays, and settled on the MSI MPG321UR-QD which was a Black Friday special around $650, which was something like $100 under the second best price I could find. Immediately went to backorder.

About a month later, B&H cancelled the backorder, and as far as I can tell, MSI no longer makes this monitor at all.

I still have an eye out for a 32" 4K gaming display, and wondering if anything interesting came out of CES that might be worth waiting for, or it's relatively the same market as in November. I was scrolling a couple pages back but could not find much info, other than supposedly we're getting a slew of $2.5K monitors in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 has store listings up on B&H Photo now. This is Samsung's upcoming high-refresh 32" 4K Neo QLED gaming monitor. The 240Hz model will be $1500 and the 165Hz model will be $1300. Availability is expected in 4 - 5 weeks, and the 165Hz model is available for pre-order.

I'm planning a big upgrade later in the year and these monitors would be perfect . . . if they were not curved. Is there anything in the ballpark on the horizon that is flat?