Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have my desktop computer hooked up to my HDTV which is an LG 26LE5300 and the native resolution is only 1366x768 but I can run games at 1920x1080 and it looks sharper although text on the desktop and in certain game menus is much smaller and harder to read. Because of this I have to run the desktop resolution in Windows at 1176x664 to make text large enough to read and then run my games at 1080p. What exactly is the TV doing when running at 1920x1080? Is it squeezing more pixels onto the screen somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I think my 3 year old BenQ G2400WD might be making GBS threads the bed because it goes into standby randomly and and I have to power cycle it for it to come back and its making a humming or buzzing sound off and on. Is it hosed?

Edit: And if its hosed, what's a good affordable replacement? I would use the monitor for mostly gaming and internet on a GTX 460 1GB video card.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 21, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

movax posted:

Sounds like failing capacitor(s) to me, do you have a local hackerspace/electronic geek hangout/friend? It would be a very cheap fix.

If not, look for Samsung or Acer offerings in the 24" range. U2410 and ZR24w are nice, but I don't think they are suited for your use case.

That's one skill set I don't have and that's soldering and soldering capacitors and the one person I know who could fix it left the state to go to University. I may just buy a new one if I could get for under $200. Nothing fancy, just for games and internet.

Edit: I'll settle for 1920x1080 as long as its in the 24" range.

Edit2: Now the screen is flickering slightly. What does that mean? :ohdear:

Edit3: Maxing out the brightness makes the flickering and most of the humming go away.:wtf:

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 22, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

So what's the deal with my monitor? I reinstalled the video card drivers because I had my system on my HDTV via HDMI and that seemed to solve the monitor getting stuck in standby issue but it still hums and the screen still flickers when I turn down the brightness from maximum. And if I turn on Dynamic Contrast the monitor really hums and even buzzes. I know little on how LCD monitors work so what is going on here?

Edit: And where are the 120Hz LCD monitors on Newegg?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 22, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

movax posted:

It's your backlight inverter; poorly designed/near-failing backlight power supplies are over-stressed when forced to dim; I used to have a Motorola Razr whose screen killed itself in a month because I ran it at minimum brightness. Some switching supply somewhere is probably under a lot of stress bucking voltage to dim your screen, whereas max brightness is much easier to tolerate.

Well my monitor seems to be working fine now so should I be worried? I'm okay with max brightness on the "photo" mode on the monitor because it displays the colors more accurately and I have a lamp next to my monitor to reduce the glare from the monitor and reduce eye strain. If my monitor does poo poo the bed, my computer goes back on my HDTV I guess so I can still use my computer since I don't have the money for a new monitor at the moment.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Well, my monitor twice again wouldn't come out of standby after setting it to turn off after 10 minutes in the power options in Win7 x64. My computer was still on, just the monitor wouldn't come out of standby mode where the light is amber color and the screen is off. Only power cycling the monitor (pushing in the power button until it went off and then pushing it again to power it back on) brought it back. Now I have it set to never turn off the monitor unless I physically push the power button on the monitor. Now this is the monitor doing this poo poo right? My monitor is a BenQ G2400WD and my video card is a MSI HAWK GTX 460 using DVI to DVI. I didn't have this problem when I had my computer hooked up to my HDTV via DVI to HDMI.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

DrDork posted:

While it's likely your monitor, it may also be other things. I had a computer that, for reasons unknown, refused to "wake up" the monitors if I left it alone for more than about an hour (with it set to turn the monitors off after 10 min). In that I had 3 monitors connected to it, and they all suffered the same issue, it clearly was something else in my computer. Never did figure it out, though :( I'm just saying don't fixate on just that. If you have another computer (or a friend's who you can hook it up to), I'd suggest giving that a test and seeing if it exhibits the same behavior. At least that way you could be certain which side the issue is on.

I could hook it up to my laptop and set the same conditions but I would have to scrounge up a VGA cable first because my laptop is VGA out only and I don't have any other computers I'm afraid. I also had my computer hooked up to my HDTV for about six months meaning I wasn't using my monitor for that period of time but before that it wasn't doing this and it was powered down and unplugged when I wasn't using it for that long period of time so I don't see how it could got hit by a power surge or lightning strike during that time. I'm thinking its the monitor because it wasn't doing this poo poo on my HDTV. I did get the MSI HAWK GTX 460 while using my computer on the HDTV so maybe the video card and monitor don't like each other or something.

Edit: Nothing goes wrong with the computer. I only have to power cycle the monitor, not the computer. Just clarifying that part of the problem.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 24, 2011

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

What's a decent yet affordable 1080p LED LCD monitor for gaming and internet? Are the ones on newegg any good? I'm looking at this one at the moment:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236117

I would prefer it be under $200 or am I only going to get crap at that price? My current BenQ G2400WD is starting to crap out (bad screen flicker) so I want something just as good or better. And I'm not going to sperg over losing some resolution going from 1920x1200 down to 1920x1080.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Now that I pulled the trigger on a 1070 card I want to get a new monitor. My current monitor is a 5-year-old ASUS 1080p monitor and I want to get a better monitor but I'm happy with 1080p resolution so what's a good 1080p monitor that uses a IPS panel and/or runs at 120Hz? I haven't shopped for a new monitor for so long I'm not sure what to get. Like I said I'm happy with 1080p I just want a monitor with better color and refresh rate.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

I'm currently on 1080p (5 year old ASUS with TN panel).

Sup, 5 year old ASUS 1080p monitor with TN panel buddy? :buddy:

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There are no high refresh 1080p IPS panels, you have to go up to 1440p for that. As far as IPS panels go the Dell P2414H or U2414H are both good choices. For high refresh panels it's probably better to save up and get a 1440p/IPS/144Hz/Gsync one, I honestly can't recommend the high refresh TN panels.

Those Dell monitors look nice and are priced to sell but now I'm thinking of getting a 21:9 ultrawide or are those overrated?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

What's a decent 1080p60Hz (or 120Hz) monitor for gaming these days? I'm still rocking an ASUS VH238 that I bought ~10 years ago and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm gaming on a Ryzen 3600/GTX1070 so could I take advantage of a 1080p 120Hz monitor?

Edit: Budget is ~$250

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2020

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

I want to get a new monitor for 1080p60 gaming on a GTX1070/Ryzen 3600 setup (I will probably upgrade the video card for xmas). I'm upgrading from a ~10 year old 24" ASUS TN 1080p panel so I want something with an IPS panel and maybe a larger screen size. My budget is ~$200 and it doesn't have to be a high refresh rate monitor. Any suggestions? I looked around on Amazon and I'm just overwhelmed by all the choices on there. I did come across this one that looks good for the price:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082BYRR3L?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Wibla posted:

If you're on a budget, get a 27" 1440p 60hz IPS. That means upping your budget with about $100, but it's well worth it.

I just came across this one for $250 or would 1440p look like crap on a 32 inch screen?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32QK500-C...437&s=pc&sr=1-3

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Wibla posted:

It'll look like crap, don't buy that.

If you don't have the extra $100 to buy something decent right now, consider saving until you do? Good monitors last forever and are well worth putting a bit of money into. Buy cheap = buy twice.

Well I can spend $300 I just thought you could still get a decent "budget" gaming monitor for ~$200. For $300 I came across these:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-27-I...pc&sr=1-11&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX...11&s=pc&sr=1-25

https://www.amazon.com/PB278QV-Prof...pc&sr=1-31&th=1

I'm leaning towards the ASUS ProArt because it has all the inputs I need without having to get more cables.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

K8.0 posted:

The sweet spot for high refresh gaming monitors is 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors - good ones, at least. They could previously be had for $300 but right now most of the options you should be considering are $350+. If you're that concerned about cost, I would say wait at least a few months and see if we see the usual dip in prices around the end of the year, or what else changes. You can also go for a 24" 1080p 144hz IPS monitor, which can be had in the $175ish range, but I'm really of the opinion that they don't represent that great of value compared to the 1440p options. Considering your current system and your intent to upgrade your GPU soon, I think you definitely are more in 1440p territory than 1080p.

When I upgrade my GPU it's probably going to be a mid-range option like a RTX3060 or whatever the AMD equivalent is going to be (RX 6700?) and it will have to be noticeably faster than my 4 year old GTX1070.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 28, 2020

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Since I'm more or less happy with 1080p desktop gaming on a 24" screen I might just get this monitor since it uses an 144Hz IPS panel:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-23-8-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6395359.p?skuId=6395359

Or am I going to be genuinely blown away by going up to 27" and 1440p?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

K8.0 posted:

If your goal is just to save money you can get one of several very similar monitors in the $170-ish range. I'm not sure which particular one that one is because they don't list the model number, but it's probably not a great deal. Regardless, none of them have exceptional reviews. I think the panel they're all using has some fundamental QC issues because severe backlight bleed seems to be very common.

1440p is 78% more pixels, it's definitely a big difference. I don't think anyone is going to tell you to stick to 1080p for any reason other than budget constraints at this point. Given that you've just built a new system and are probably going to spend $350-400+ on a GPU in the near future, going with such a budget monitor seems silly to me. While some people have been unhappy with the particular first 1440p monitor they've bought, I don't think I've seen anyone willing to go back to 1080p after except maybe a few people who exclusively play competitive CSGO or Overwatch.

But if I want a decent 1440p monitor that's IPS/144Hz/Freesync/27" I'll have to spend at least $400 unless I can find a deal on one and said deals sell out very fast apparently. I think there was an LG monitor on Amazon that ticked all those boxes for ~$350 but was out of stock and I've looked at so many monitors on several different websites I can't even remember which one it was exactly. Right now I just want to play Deep Rock Galactic on a monitor that's not an 10 year old TN panel monitor that belongs in a museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

LG 27GL83A, yeah. It's in stock on Amazon right now for $380 which isn't a historical low but is still probably the best deal around for now.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

I think that was the one I'm remembering but it was out of stock when I came across it. So much stuff is out of stock or on back order right now. It says in stock and ships on August 22nd. :sigh: