Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Why won't the U2311H go back down to $240 :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Anyone here have a u2311h from the outlet? Does the warrantee still cover dead pixels?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Belligerent Monk posted:

A couple questions:

I'm kinda new to all of this and I have an Asus 1215n, and I'm going to be buying a monitor to hook it up to. The 1215n has a VGA port and an HDMI output. Would I have a problem with a U2311H, since it doesn't have an HDMI input? I'm not sure if I'll see any loss of quality by using some kind of HDMI - DVI cable, but I hope not.

I saw an ad on craigslist for a "few day old" u2311h for $260 and it's in my city. I want to buy it this way so that I save a little money and don't have to wait for shipping, but what should I check for when I come take a look at it? Dead pixels and that's it? They all have a 3 year warranty from the purchase date, right? Thanks.

e: ok now I'm a little confused, does the U2311H have an HDMI input or not? I'm hearing yes and no.

No HDMI on the U2311H, just VGA, DVI, and DisplayPort. You can go from HDMI->DVI with no loss in quality, passive conversion, you just lose the audio portion of HDMI.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Looking into monitors for gaming purposes at the moment and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for something that meets these reqs:

- Sub 1-frame input lag, not flexible about this part.
- 27" size at least
- 1080p or 4k, should be 16:9 either way
- Less ghosting would be nice, as would not-TN.
- Price range is flexible though not horribly expensive would be good.

Some obvious ones that pop up are the ASUS MX279H or LG 27EA33V. Anyone got any idea on how good or bad those are? Or have any other suggestions?

There's only 1 non-TN panel that's going to come close to these requirements and its the Ezio fg2421 but that is only 24in. Response time is just too low on most IPS/PLS/VA panels.

For more panels with low response time and low ghosting, check out blurbusters's 120hz list here

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new monitor.

I'm looking for something ~27in, 1440p Res, 120+hz, and with Gsync to serve as my primary gaming monitor. I have a 23in Dell IPS panel currently, but I think I would be okay with my primary display (that I look at straight on) being TN. The IPS will become my secondary, so I'll still have it when I need better viewing angles or color representation.

Budget is currently about $600, which from what I can tell, leaves me with the Acer XB270HU Abprz for $569 or the DELL S2716DG for $599 (Although it's been down to $569 as recently as a few days ago on Amazon).

These look to be basically the same, specs wise, but I'm leaning towards the Dell as they seem to have better QC than Acer, and its simply a cleaner looking panel.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these that would sway me one way or the other? Are there any other monitors with these specs in this price range I should be looking at?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

I ended up going with a Dell S2716DG as well, despite the TN-ness, and it arrives tomorrow. Although, mind you, I did end up getting a pretty sharp deal on it by getting it for $600 plus a $200 Dell Giftcard I can sell off.

I have a big beautiful TV for movies and shows, a great Dell IPS for any image editing, I can handle the slight color shift and muted colors trade off for lower response lag and better refresh rates for video games.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Dell S2716DG update:

I've had mine for a couple days now, and it's really great, except for a small cluster of dead pixels (maybe like 3) on the upper left. However, Dell's support is sending me a replacement panel, and I get to hang on to my current one until that gets here.

Overall I'm pretty happy. I think if you're able to score it under $550 as it regularly goes on Amazon, you'll be pretty drat happy. Colors and viewing angles are really great for a TN, and of course the refresh rate, response time, and Gsync/ULMB stuff is buttery smooth.

So far, there's only one downside. I've noticed there's some ghosting on testufo with "Fast" (1ms) response time on. ULMB and 120hz bring it down to it the same super faint level as the "Normal" (3ms) mode, but then you lose out on Gsync and 24 extra frames.

I'll compare to the replacement panel when that gets in to see if it's panel specific or an issue inherent with this monitor.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Zorilla posted:

Based on the nature of ULMB and the way it requires backlight strobe and panel refresh to be synchronized, it's expected you're going to lose G-Sync with it enabled since both will need to be fixed to a given refresh rate. Display brightness would be all over the place if its strobe rate was constantly adjusting itself to match a dynamic refresh rate.

With that in mind, are you sure you can't lower the motion blur reduction setting while leaving ULMB off? ULMB is a neat gimmick, but it seems pretty inflexible and probably not very fun to look at for long periods of time due to the low PWM flicker rate.

Motion blur reduction is purely a signal processing effect. The monitor's not flicking on some sort of switch inside the LCD panel that helps it reduce pixel response. Instead, it's just altering the first frame after a transition to help the affected pixels change faster. I all but guarantee your replacement monitor will behave the exact same way.

Yeah I wasn't really complaining, just stating there's a way around the 1ms ghosting but that it's not viable if you want 144hz and gsync.

The tftcentral review basically states the same thing in regards to the "Fast" 1ms mode, ie: don't use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm looking for a gaming monitor and I'm increasingly considering a S2716DG. A refurb'd XB270HU for $400 would be nice but Acer packs refurb monitors very poorly and then there's the IPS bleed lottery. For a 16:9 panel the S2716DG seems like the safest option.

Acer had X34 refurbs for $700 a while back, I would still probably give it a shot at that price but they've cranked them to $830 and beyond for poorly packed refurbs.

It's the best quality TN I've ever owned. My older Dell IPS still beats it out in color but honestly even viewing angles aren't too bad.