Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Looks like you're already planning on updating the 120hz section but you might want to differentiate between true 120hz computer displays and "false" 120hz on televisions that use interpolation/buffering.

Also mention stereoscopic 3D. Nvidia has a good list of compatible monitors here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-requirements.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Monoprice.com has a pretty good selection of various stands and arms for good prices. You can spend an awful lot on a fancy stand.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082808&p_id=5402&seq=1&format=2

I have that one. Clamps to your desk, reasonably sturdy, and pretty cheap at just over $20.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

I wouldn't recommend getting one of the 1680x1050 models. You still get some smoothness benefit even if you're not getting 120fps solid. In my book I'd rather turn down the visuals a bit to maintain a higher frame rate than vice versa. This coming from an Acer GD235HZ owner btw. I think you're going to get more longevity with one of the newer models.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Clockwork Beast! posted:

I've been researching monitors for a couple days now, and the post at the top of the page about the Asus VG236HE has me interested. I have a couple of questions though.

I really don't care about 3D at all. I guess the HE is the version without the glasses kit, or is there another difference between that and the Asus VG236H?

Can 120Hz be switched off like on a TV if I want?

Is there a similarly priced and featured monitor without the 3D at all? The 2ms response time has me pretty interested.

You can go into your monitor settings and run 60hz if you want but there's literally no reason to do that. It's true 120hz, not like a TV where it can make certain things look weird because it's interpolating frames.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Dogen posted:

If it's a 120hz TV and it's applying interpolation to a 24/30/60 source, you can see it because it's loving annoying and retarded. Your friend probably doesn't notice because he's used to it.

120hz in gaming involves outputting, ideally, 1 distinct frame every 1/120th of a second.

This. You can see it on a TV with interpolation because it looks like crap. You can also see it on a monitor because it makes everything seem much smoother. If you can't see it, turn it off and go back to 60hz and see the difference.

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Just bought a 2795qhd from green-sum, fingers crossed it looks good. Worst case I'll just use it as my secondary monitor next to my 144hz 1080p. Although that will probably look weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

CoronaryBypass posted:

I bought one a week ago with no dead pixels and runs great at 96 and 110hz. It's sitting next to my old 1080p 60 hz monitor that I generally use only for Internet browsing while playing games. The only downside was removing the glass stem stand was a pain.

Late 2795QHD trip report.

Pros:
  • Arrived very fast, ordered on a Thursday afternoon, delivered to my work office lobby Tuesday morning. Advantages of living in SoCal I guess.
  • Coming from 1920x1080 this is a lot of pixels. The color is very good. No dead pixels. I thought I had a bunch of dead pixels but it turned out to be dust because I'm an idiot who didn't wipe the screen off after taking it out of the box.
  • Overclocks to 96hz no problem. Couldn't get any higher than that without artifacting and boot issues.

Cons:
  • Not being able to easily remove the clear "glass" stem is kind of annoying. I have it on a quality mounting arm but the stupid stem is actually blocking proper tilt adjustment and I don't feel up yet to taking it apart to remove the stem. I watched a youtube and it doesn't look THAT hard but having to pop a million little clips and lift the panel up just to get to a few screws holding the mount in seems annoying.
  • After being used to 120hz w/ ULMB back light strobing, this is a lot more motion blur than I'm used to. As stupid as it sounds, I'm going to switch back to my Benq 1080 TN monitor as my main gaming display until I get a better 2560x1440 and the 2795qhd will be my secondary.