Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Hah, don't cheap out on your mum. Get her a U2211H. :shobon: Its like £159 ex VAT on Dell.co.uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Paino posted:

Wow, the reviews look great.

The only downsides I can see are lack of HDMI input and (maybe) ghosting/lack of responsiveness in faster games? The former is a hassle but bearable, the latter kind of bothers me. Any U2311H owner can confirm/deny the issue?

Input lag and response time has got to be one of the great myths of lcd displays because the magnitude of the problem is grossly overstated. If you can tell the difference between 10 milliseconds and 2 milliseconds average response time then you ain't human.

I regularly play keyboard and guitar to a metronome with a 1024 sample DMA buffer at 44.1khz which translates roughly into a lag time of 11 milliseconds between playing the note and hearing the sound. It is absolutely not a problem and I only start to notice that something is off once you go somewhere over 25 milliseconds and even then you can hardly call it a problem. Its when you get into the order of hundreds of milliseconds that it becomes difficult to play bang on a metronome.

In display terms if you think about constant 60fps locked to the display's 60hz refresh rate as the target for gaming then 1 frame is about 17 milliseconds. You won't notice variance of that magnitude. I own a U2311H and I don't notice any appreciable lag nor do I notice any appreciable level of ghosting. Unfortunately, the reason why I suck at fps games is because I have terrible aim and spacial awareness.

Shumagorath posted:

The 10% height difference is noticeable to me. 16:9 does look unnaturally wide, but only because I've been using 16:10 for years.

You probably will notice it at first but you adjust quickly if you have to. I was sporting a 4:3 lcd before I picked up a U2311H and it look me a few hours to adjust to the lack of vertical height. Now I'm used to 16:9, even 16:10 seems a bit tall but all it would take is a short period to adjust and I'd be right at home.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 10, 2011

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Yeah but he was talking about U2311H which isn't one of those 100ms monsters.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Trash Heap posted:

Probably going to pull the trigger on the U2311H 23", but wanted to double check some things.

1) Is the best route to just buy through Dell? Any coupon sites I should check? I seem to recall Dell often has deals/sales.

2) I am building a new computer (for gaming) and will most likely be buying a ASUS EAH6850 DirectCU/2DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 6850 video card. According to the stickied computer parts thread, this card should suffice. Do I need to buy any extra cables? Hook this up with DVI?

Thanks in advance.

1) For the billionth time - yes, buy through Dell. Yes, you should google coupons. Yes, they do deals every other week.

2) The monitor comes with a VGA to DVI cable and a DVI to DVI cable.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
You shouldn't have to play around to get readable text though. The pixel pitch of 23" full HD panels is reasonably small. Hell, the insanely small pixel pitch on mobile phone displays and panels like that 13 inch full HD panel on the Sony VAIO Z notebook is the reason why you can read such ickle letters. So the only way you need to adjust DPI to see text is if you sit miles away from your display or you are blind as a bat.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Paino posted:

The only gripe I have is that I saw it sitting next to a U2711 in the shop where I bought it. Now the U2311H can hold its own in color fidelity and overall image quality but oh my loving god the blacks. The blacks.

I was expecting this monitor to have great blacks but nope. They're better than a TN but not by that much. This is a major drawback and I'm surprised no one mentioned it anywhere in the thread. The counterpoint may be that unless you want to spend 700$ more you should just give up because night scenes in movies will look like poo poo on any reasonably priced LCD. Hell, only on Plasmas you see good blacks, they're barely acceptable even on Samsung LED HDTVs.

tl;dr: I'm a bit grumpy and think that LCDs should be replaced by a new technology that doesn't suck, but the U2311H is the best monitor you can buy in that price range.

I believe the correct formula for calculating U2311H black levels goes something like:

real black level = uncalibrated black level/(U2711 price - U2311H price) x 1/(x grams of coke + y hookers purchased with savings)

:smugdog:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Most displays are stupidly bright out of the box, which makes everything "pop" out at you at first. Then your eyeballs start to feel like they are being microwaved after a few hours.

You get used to the lower brightness quickly and it makes it easier to look at the screen all day.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
The orange/purple tint is the infamous IPS glow. You will get it in all IPS panels without an Advanced True Wide (A-TW) polarizer, which is all the affordable ones.

This NEC has it too.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Turning the brightness down also de-emphasises the orange/purple IPS glow!

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Factory Factory posted:

Re: LED-LCDs, they're nice, but standard CCFL LCDs aren't terrible.

Theres good and bad CCFL backlit displays just like there are good and bad LED backlight displays. If you get a good CCFL backlit display there is the issue of the lamps dimming/yellowing over time but I don't think you'll see a noticeable effect during the useful lifespan of the display.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

The Dave posted:

Well quite honestly I'm on several monitors through out the week so I would know if something was really out of whack, and I knew the U2410 was out of whack just based on comparing it to the monitor right next to it.

The gamut stuff is my fault, but after spending $500 on the monitor, I didn't want to spend another ~$100 on a calibrator ( didn't find any local places to rent with a shallow search), because I was able to return and save $150 on the price of the monitor with the HP.

This has been posted many times already, but it is well known that the U2410 factory settings are completely whacked. You need to calibrate it yourself with a colorimeter, starting from the standard preset mode or sRGB mode if you are doing print work.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
I still don't get the input lag thing. I routinely play all of my instruments to a *metronome* with 11ms input latency (ASIO buffer = 512 samples) and its never a problem. Over 30ms and I start to notice the "lag" sure. Even then it doesn't become truly unplayable until I switch from ASIO to DMA and start rocking latencies on the order or hundreds of ms. Maybe its different with moving images but I can't see it (pun not intended).

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

DrDork posted:

The U2311H also claims to be brighter (300 cd/m2 vs 250), but those measurements are always iffy. The LG, on the other hand, has speakers and LED backlighting (which won't improve the visual performance at all, but does allow it to be thinner and consume less power, which also means it'll run cooler), and is $50 cheaper.

Literally the first thing you want to do on a U2311H is turn down the brightness anyway because by default, its set to liquidate your eyeballs into radioactive puree. Factory default is 70. I have mine somewhere in the 30s (and in a dark room its still bright as hell).

As long as you get one that doesn't have weird tinting or stupid amounts of backlight bleed, U2311H is a fine monitor but the stand is crap as mentioned above. Its too stiff, so you can't swivel the panel without holding the base (or nailing it down).

Built in speakers are almost always complete asscakes so I generally wouldn't regard that as a positive in any display.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
My display has developed a bruise, which is like a bright spot that shows up on light coloured/white backgrounds. Is there any way to get rid of it, or can it right itself over time (like stuck pixels)? Or do I have to live with it? Its kind of big...

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

movax posted:

Nope; enjoy the LED backlighting, should deliver the same excellent performance.

Splotchy discoloration huh? You could try one of those stuck pixel exercisers, but more likely than not you're going to have RMA the panel. That happened to my 2209WA after a few years, I just called Dell and they cross-shipped me a new one.

I think I need to take a photo of it but its definitely not a stuck pixel. I'm hoping this will go away on its own but I dunno. It looks like the white splotches in the picture below except I've only got one and its quite big (about 2 inches long) and its near the middle of the screen so its really annoying.

You can tell its not a stuck pixel because its not visible against a black ground and it disappears at steep viewing angles.

I can't RMA the panel because it is considered pressure damage and thus isn't covered by warranty. Either way, its out of warranty so they don't really seem to care. The cost of replacing the panel is insane (between $400 and $500 USD just for the lcd display part, not including service/ancillary charges). If I have to live with it then so be it. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar problem with their monitor and if so, was it temporary or permanent?

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

sethsez posted:

So I got the U2412M on sale and was happy with it, but there was some backlight bleeding so I asked Dell for an exchange. Two replacements that were both worse than the original later, I realized that the bleeding on the original had somehow gone away (I guess it just needed a burn in period or something?), so I told Dell I was going to stick with the original monitor.

They then credited some money to my account to make up for the time spent exchanging monitors and to apologize for both of the replacements also being faulty.

Happy Dell post-sale success stories always seem to instill a warm fuzzy feeling in my loins. They set the industry standard for me over my replacement U2311 (arranged collect and replacement on the same day so I had zero downtime plus no shipping or restocking fee so it cost me nothing).

I normally rail against our sinister limited liability overlords but Dell can be my corporate sugerdaddy any day. :allears:

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
£1,954.00 inc. VAT on dell.co.uk.

Yep, no HDR for me. Thats twice what I spent on my entire build. Looks like 27", 1440p, gsync, 144hz, ips is the end of the road but only AUO gives a poo poo about it. I don't feel like paying £700 for a panel lottery ticket right now.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 30, 2017

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
You are not taking the photograph perpendicular to the panel. IPS glow can look like that and it shifts around when you look at the panel from different angles. Sometimes it can have a yellow/orange tint and shift to blue/purple at different angles. Straighten that monitor out, move back a bit more and take the picture again.

The glow will get stronger and cover more of the screen as you get nearer to the monitor and disappear when you move back far enough.

In this case its probably IPS glow. People who haven't used an IPS monitor before sometimes freak out about it but its just one of the trade offs for good viewing angles in bright image content. The glow makes it a bit worse for dark image content. A full black screen shows the effect at its worst but you aren't going to be doing that very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually it's not the same panel, the Acer uses a newer version that fixed most of the issues causing the QC problems that the previous version suffered from, as far as I know Asus is still using the older version of the panel, though they seem to be catching a lot more problem panels before they get to consumers than they used to. Considering the QC issues these monitors have had in the past I would want to buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

M270DAN02.6 = Acer XB271HU panel
M270DAN02.3 = Asus PG279Q panel

2.6 is just the borderless variant of 2.3. Both AHVA panels manufactured by AU Optronics.

The only real difference seems to be the way the bezel is fixed to the panel which might explain some of the edge light bleed issues on the Asus. If you get a dud panel you get a dud panel and theres nothing you can do about that because its a problem in manufacturing of the panel rather than a problem in the assembly of the monitor.

If you can loosen or remove the bezel and it helps then great. Otherwise, its panel lottery all around. I'm pretty sure the MZ270DAN02.x is the only 27" 144hz 1440p IPS type panel with gsync so I'm not sure if the branding even matters. Its all basically the same poo poo, just packaged differently.