Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Beacon posted:

Thanks! In terms of benefits, does IPS in essence improve viewing angles?

Massively. Even if you view the screen head-on, you'll often notice the screen getting darker or washed out at the top or bottom of a TN panel, just by moving your head in the vertical plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

At that price, I can't imagine there'd be much to complain about

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Color depth of the hardware. Rather than 8 bits (2^8 = 256 distinct shades) to describe each of red, green, and blue for a total of 16.7 million possible colors, only 6 bits are used for 262 thousand colors. Wide-gamut displays use 10-bit color for over a billion distinct colors.

6-bit displays can fake up more colors using temporal dithering, a technique which flickers pixels between the two closest colors the panel can show around the intended color.

Additionally, a way to tell whether it's a 6-bit panel instead of 8-bit: often they will be advertised as having 16.2 million colours instead of 16.7. Where they pull that number from, I have no clue, but it's a useful bit of information.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DrDork posted:

While this may have been true at one time, virtually all consumer-grade monitors these days are listed at 16.7M colors, regardless of their panel bit depth. Check out NewEgg: a total of 13 monitors are listed as 16.2M, and 264 are listed as 16.7M, despite the vast majority of those monitors being 6 bit.

Aw :( Those sneaky bastards

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

It's £360 on the Dell site in the UK, but still...

Oh wait, that excludes VAT and shipping. Haha, no.
$430 = £266. Even if you add VAT you only manage to come to £320.
On the Dell site, with VAT and delivery it becomes a dazzling £447.84. Why yes, I did want to pay £100~ more than is defensible. :sigh:
That said, if it was reasonably priced compared, I'd probably have bought one.

Just a tired old rant about being ripped off. Doesn't matter!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 16, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

An inch and an extra 230,400 pixels, but I see your point.
Personally I'd still steer towards the U2410, since the extra connectivity is useful to me (old consoles).
On that note, I just noticed there's no S-Video on it :(

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 17, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scroll down the page.

Either dual DisplayPort or dual dual-link DVI.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bubble-T posted:

My wife has a bunch of money to burn from a professional development allowance her work gives her, and one of the things she can use it for is a monitor. Our PC has an ATI Radeo HD 5770 1GB video card and is used for a bit of everything (word processing, internet, gaming etc).

Does anyone have a recommendation in the $1500 or less price range? Are the Apple Cinema displays worth looking at and will they work with that card (I've read mixed things around the net)?

spaceship posted:

I recommend the Dell 30"

Without a doubt. If you have $1500 to burn and you want the best display for that money:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=224-9949

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Or, buy the best thing for your money, and get a Dell U2711. If for some perverse reason, you miss the glossy coating, just keep a mirror next to your screen and look at yourself every few minutes.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeah, I think I'd rather have 16:9 IPS than 16:10 TN.
Of course, I'd rather have 16:10 IPS... (Well, I do, but that's not the point).

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Trickyrive posted:

Anyone?

My personal opinion is always going to be biased heavily towards Dell, but their 21.5" monitor is the same price as their 23" right now, so I'd just get that..

That said, if you had $700 in mind, go nuts. Either get a U2410 like so many happy people in this thread, or maybe wait for an offer on the U2711.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 8, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

DrDork posted:

Speaking of which: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423465 Goon has a U2711 for $700. Sounds like a match made in techno-heaven.

This man has good advice. Assuming the guy is legit, poo poo, I'm tempted (but only if I could get it shipped to the UK :()

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 8, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

They're definitely not TN, and just looking at them would tell you that. you lucky bastard.

the panel: LG.Philips S-IPS LM300W01, (true 8-bit)
W-CCFL backlighting

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 10, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

probably drunk posted:

guess mom has a new wide gamut professional monitor to play her rollercoaster tycoon on

nothing says "requires wide gamut" like a game that runs in 256-colour mode

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Quanta posted:

I don't know if this has been posted yet but, contrary to earlier rumours, it was confirmed that Dell's successor to the U2410 - the U2412 - is going to have a 16:10 aspect ratio.

It'll also be WLED backlit so will be a standard gamut screen, which will mean the more common and cheaper e-IPS, 6 bit+FRC panel should lower the cost of the monitor.

I don't think it's a bad move by Dell. I doubt many regular users cared about the wide gamut colour spaces, and the professional users who did bought NECs and Eizos anyway.

.. I think it's a bad move. 6-bit panel? No no! Maybe newer ones employ even better tricks to make it look 8-bit, but I have an 8-bit IPS and 6-bit PVA next to each other at home, and I can easily see banding on the 6-bit..

Well, that's one recommendation out of the window. Hopefully the U2410 will become cheaper on the used market..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 14, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Bazanga posted:

Also, from what I'm reading, the U2412s are going to be higher quality and cheaper than the U2410s except they are going to be 16:9 rather than 16:10? Am I reading that right? Should I just wait until the U2412s hit the Dell store? I don't exactly need the monitor now or anything, I just felt like upgrading from the old school budget Acer I have now.

The U2412 is apparently going to be a 6-bit panel, but it will be 16:10. It will probably be cheaper. I'd still prefer a U2410. There's no reason you should wait for anything, unless the cost is a huge concern.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

err posted:

Both are Dell ST2410s. It's just really weird having it work with DVI/VGA but HDMI is giving a lovely resolution. Could it be the HDMI cord?

It could be trying to do overscan or some poo poo because it assumes the source will require it.
This poo poo is a plague that seemed to stay around even after the advent of proper connections for TVs.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

This Post Sucks posted:

Hey, I just got a U2410 used off of Ebay, and when I hooked it up, it almost looks as if the color settings are set to 16 bit with a lot of vertical lines going on it kind of like when you don't have a video driver installed.

My other monitor is working just fine, but I installed the Dell's U2410 driver just to try it out.

Any advice or should I just try and return it?

Thanks!

Edit: I've tried both DVI ports and the RGB port and they are all the same. I've ever tried reverting it back to factory settings.

The U2410 isn't all that old, so if it has a fault, it may well be under the 3 year warranty...

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Even though I'm poo poo out of cash, I feel like I need to get a U2410 since the replacement is not ideal for my needs (even discounting the 6-bit panel, it has bullshit connectivity.. I want to hook my old stuff sometimes, dammit!) and they'll no doubt be all gone soon..

Edit: done. bought one from eBay, refurbished apparently, a05 rev, includes a 3 year warranty and 0 bright pixel guarantee, just as new. hope it's all good! it'll sit alongside my 2007wfp.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 2, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

sleepness posted:

I just sold my U2711 and went back to a TN panel. I feel like the biggest jackass and want to buy it back immediately.

I can't see why you'd do this other than utter poverty..

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The U2410 came, revision A05 (manufacture date April 2011), no dead pixels, out of a fresh Dell box with the factory calibration sheet. I can't see any catch, even though I threw caution to the wind and went on ebay (well, it was apparently a Dell partner). Very happy!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 4, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Decius posted:

even 24" with 1920x1200 seems to have borderline huge pixels

I was actually thinking this, with my new Dell U2410 next to my Dell 2007wfp. Sure, the difference isn't enormous, but 20" @ 1680x1050 (99ppi) has noticeably smaller pixels than 24" @ 1920x1200 (94ppi). Of course my old laptop, 15.4" @ 1920x1200 shits on them (147ppi). We want higher densities drat it!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 8, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

If you can push it, the Dell U2412M is going to be an upgrade from the TN panels around, but not for too much more money.

Other than that, take your pick from any number of TN 1920x1080 panels out there, from a reputable manufacturer. They're probably going to be similar.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

shrughes posted:

I got a Dell U2410, and it's pretty much the way I expected, except that the buttons are capacitive.

But it's awesome! I love that it glows when you go near it.

But you have to turn off the loving beep when you press a button. Why that defaults to on I have no idea.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A little advice on calibration if anyone has any experience with it:- I have read the OP post with regards to this, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations. Reviews seem to suggest X-Rite is the company to watch, and as such, I'm highly interested in the ColorMunki Photo. The ColorMunki Display seems to be a cheaper colourimeter as opposed to the more expensive spectrophotometer, and the Photo has more functionality I'd actually be interested in (the option to calibrate a projector is especially nice). Anyone here with input on calibration? Cheers!

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 18, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Looks like I may have been a complete idiot. Saw the OP notice about cheap U2410's, went looking as I've always wanted a second one (/one without a red tinge) and found one for £350. Luckily I checked out the company first and so haven't given them any money, I did set up an account on the site now so they have my DOB, Name, Address, Phone number etc. Hopefully nothing bad can come of them just having that info.

The site was PC-Titan, it seems to have all the signs of a scam: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3327782

I bought mine here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dell-Ultr...=item3a6984423a
For the same price (£350). I can tell you they are legit.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

So, question. I recently confused VGA and DVI single-link in another thread in terms of "limits" (I thought it was D-Sub VGA that couldn't go above 1920x1200, but I was thinking of DVI-D-S)... but at the same time, I swear to God I've seen information elsewhere about VGA having an effective upper limit to the resolution it can carry. It is, after all, a twenty-four-goddamn-year-old connector type that was originally designed to cap out at around, oh, 640x480 with eight-bit color. I mean, I know it's analog and so it comes with all the issues of analog cabling, but I could've sworn I read about VGA d-sub having an upper bandwidth limit that makes it sub-optimal, at least, for resolutions of 1080p or higher, and that's a large part of the reason you never find it (or DVI-S for that matter) on cards anymore.

Am I remembering something that is an actual thing, or am I just smoking something?

I'm pretty sure you are limited to the speed of the RAMDAC, but in practical terms, probably the properties of the connector and cable too.
I'm pretty sure I've read about medical imaging monitors that used higher than normal speed RAMDACs and as thus high rear end resolutions over VGA.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Well, if you ask what the middle ground is to most people, they'd probably say PVA. It also seems like PVA has potentially the best black levels.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 25, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

A little late, but; Dell U2311H review from AnandTech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4880/dell-u2311h-affordable-eips

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 27, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Just cross-posting to say that Automatic Display Control utterly hosed my U2410.
I was using iProfiler that came with my i1 Display Pro, it messed with the brightness.. Buzz, buzz.. bang. I'm guessing that was an inverter being run out of spec.
Yay.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

On the bright side of this story, Dell didn't gently caress me about even for a second. They're sending a guy with a replacement U2410 out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

movax posted:

That's awesome! So that calibrator literally murdered your hardware by abusing it over DDC?

It seems like it. Although the monitor still seems to work - it's hard to explain why, but it doesn't seem as bright as before. Maybe it has multiple backlights? Odd.
It definitely went buzz.. pop! Which can't be a good sign.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Oh Dell..
I thought maybe I'd get a refurb, but no. Brand new in the box, sealed with every original accessory, U2410, made August 2011. Revision A08! I didn't even know there was a newer revision than my A05. Goddamn.

One happy customer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Redchaostry posted:

Did you buy directly through Dell or another party? Looking to buy a U2410 (or U2412 need to read up on the differences a little more) and that customer service sounds enticing.

I actually bought it through a third party! But the company was registered as a Dell partner, and they explicitly stated it came with the original Dell 3 year warranty and the premium panel (0 bright pixel) guarantee, so definitely check that before you buy.

I called Dell directly for the warranty, of course. Keep the box if you do get one, because the Dell order number on the box as well as the serial number is what they need to give you the fastest service, as the monitors don't have service tags on (which throws you off if you're trying to check the warranty on the website. Don't be put off, call support with the order number and serial number).

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 1, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

WanderingKid posted:

I normally rail against our sinister limited liability overlords but Dell can be my corporate sugerdaddy any day. :allears:

I know. Goddamn, it's impossible to be angry at a company that in 24 hours ships you a brand new monitor and collects the old one at absolutely no cost to yourself.

I'm glad others have the same experience. A guy at work couldn't believe it.
Other companies have genuinely terrible customer support in comparison, and need arm twisting just to believe the poo poo is in warranty, let alone pay for your shipping.. let alone send a guy to collect it from your hands... let alone send you a new one BEFORE they have the busted one. gently caress.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I'm not really sure how you can balls up a test that is surely just a picture being taken with the TFT and CRT visible, just measuring the timestamp differences.

I'm sure they were amazed as you and probably did it a few times.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 5, 2011

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I can tell for a fact my U2410 has options for filling (stretch) aspect (fill, respecting aspect ratio) and 1:1 (pixel for pixel).
It works perfectly on my Xbox 360 over VGA, and it even saves the aspect settings per input (as well colour gamut settings).

I imagine it's similar on the newer one too, but I can't tell you off hand.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Oh wow. That would drive me nuts.

It annoyed me enough that installing the new ATI drivers reverted to some default colour profile that didn't even show in my colour management interface.

I noticed it straight away, so I guess at least you can say it's not placebo..

You'd think that the drivers would look at the profile you were using before, and then, even if something about reinitialising the drivers fucks the profile, it should revert to the profile you used to use, after the drivers are done.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

This is kinda why I asked if we're at the point where displays controlled the color correction LUT, not the OS/driver/GPU. That way, no matter what OS/application/GPU you're using, it should transparently work granted a minimal level of awareness on the part of the OS/application/GPU.

True. That'd be really nice, but bear in mind.. most people see nothing wrong with cheap 6-bit TN panels (nothing necessarily wrong with this, they serve a useful purpose!), so I'm not sure self-calibrating monitors will reach the mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've just moved out and I've got a nice new corner desk for my PC to sit on. One (big) problem however; Because I had such a tiny desk in the old house I ditched my huge monitor base and wall-mounted my monitor so I could use the desk space for writing. Being a retard, i chucked the base away and now I just have a useless monitor.

Is there a cheap monitor mount/base I could buy or should I just give in to the temptation that was there anyway and just buy myself a nice new display?

This is the sort of thing I lost:

You're probably in luck. Since you wall-mounted it, it probably has a standard VESA mount, 100x100mm square with 4 holes, one in each corner.

I'm pretty sure you can find a mount that uses that, but also stands on a desk.

Had a quick search on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-monit...=item336bdfac49