Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
So when picking a monitor now, you have to get one that matches your video card? G-sync for Nvidia and Freesync for AMD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is the price premium of IPS really that great over TN? A monitor isn't like a TV, I'm viewing it directly in front of my face and not from different seats around my living room. I have a local Microcenter so I can get the TN version of the Acer XB270HU Abprz for $500 instead of $600 like here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009848

Not to mention the $230 price difference to get the XB271HU.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone know any info on when Acer posts stuff on their Recertified site? Any plugins or ways to monitor the stock? I have the nowinstock.net alert, but I feel like that will be too slow.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You could try the visualping or distill extensions for chrome

Thanks, setup both

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Refurbed XB271HU are still available through Acer on ebay and Amazon right now. 19 total.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-27-Pre...sid=p5731.m3795

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H22AGQ6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2WEQERLWJ42N3

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What should I look for to make sure my refurbed XB271HU is in good working order? I don't really know how to look for BLB and dead pixels.

edit: Oh and some instructions on what to do with G-Sync, V-Sync, etc. I've seen plenty of stuff on it, but it wasn't very organized. You'd think there would be a best practice guide somewhere.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Got my refurbed XB271HU. Any good guides to link to so I can give it a quality inspection? Dead pixels, BLB, IPS glow? I have noticed that the picture doesn't quite fit the left, right, and tops of the screen, but the bottom is good. I don't see anywhere in the OSD settings to modify it though.

Is there also a guide or best practice on what to do with G-Sync, V-Sync, any other frame locking game options, etc.?

I now have dual monitors for the first time, so do people turn off their non-gaming monitor when playing on the primary?

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 8, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have advice on cool programs for a first time dual monitor user? Either things that make dual monitors more functional or things to always have running over on the other? Do I now run all my games in borderless windowed so I can click stuff on the other monitor without alt-tabbing?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Any idea why my now second monitor, a BenQ V2400W, goes to blue instead of asleep when my xb271hu and PC go to sleep?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It seems like borderless windowed mode runs terribly on my xb271hu and 1070. Sounds like that's a common thing?

Also in the last few days I'll occasionally see a flash of those gross green/red lines spanning the length of the screen distributed randomly vertically. Is my refurbed xb271hu bad? It's still within 90 days. I noticed it more at the desktop I think and my GPU overclock is off. Any ideas?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

havenwaters posted:

If it flashes/artifacts when starting up a game check to see if that is a DX9 game. If it is, that's just what the 271hu does with g-sync on for dx9 games. Or anyway it's what my monitor and someone else's in this thread's monitor did. DX11 games don't have this problem.

If this is happening mid game or something then it's something else or is a constant effect than that's something else.

Try reseating the cable. Display Port cables lock/click into place.

It will happen just as I browse around in Windows. I noticed it two days ago for the first time and it was in Windows and then continued in WoW I think for a few minutes maybe. Didn't notice it all yesterday.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
It seems like borderless windowed mode runs terribly on my xb271hu and 1070. Sounds like that's a common thing for G-Sync despite that being a selling point over Freesync? It's also random it seems. I can play some time no problem with it, but other times it's so slow.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm still having issues with my xb271hu in borderless window with my 1070. Is it normal for the framerate to heavily drop from fullscreen? Even in an old game like WoW I'll get below 30 fps sometimes and other times it's just not smooth at all.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
New Acer monitors are announced: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/gpc2017

Predator X27

27" 4K w/ NVIDIA® G-SYNC™
144Hz Refresh & 4ms Response Time
Quantum Dot & HDR Ultra Technologies
Tobii Eye Tracking

Predator Z1 - 27", 30", or 31.5"

2560x1440 WFHD w/ NVIDIA® G-SYNC™
165Hz Refresh & 1ms Response Time
Immersive 1800R Curvature
Tobii Eye Tracking

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Friend is going to build a ~$550 gaming PC with a GTX 1050TI. He was going to borrow a crap monitor from a friend, but is interested to hear about monitors. This $550 is excluding the monitor.

What's the best bang for the buck? 1080p because of the GPU, maybe IPS, I assume not a crazy refresh rate, won't ever be having the bleeding edge GPU.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 11, 2017

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

In that kind of a price range, go for a refurb 24" 144 Hz 1080p for around $150. You can also go 27" 1080p IPS for the same-ish price, which may have better color, although it'll be a little chunky for productivity and is only 60 Hz. You may be able to drive some e-sports titles at 144 Hz with a low setting, and it'll help smoothness even if you're only rendering much lower framerates.

Consider getting something with FreeSync, it won't work with your GPU but it doesn't cost you anything either. The NVIDIA equivalent, GSync, doesn't have a good low-end, but you can get the same monitor for ~$300 with GSync and that'll work with your monitor. If you want to go that route it's better to aim for a $400-ish monitor where you're getting a nicer panel + more screen real estate (for roughly the same price with either FreeSync or GSync) but that's a lot more than the $150-ish entry-level monitors.

Thanks. Any brands or models to look at? And I clarified in the post that the PC price doesn't include the monitor.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Should I not bother looking for IPS monitors assuming he needs to keep price low?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

IPS is almost no price premium on 1080p monitors. It's just a question if he wants 60hz IPS vs. 100+HZ TN panels.

Oh so the IPS 144hz are only going to be found at the high end? I have a Predator, so I figured as much about the low end.

I always thought IPS was considered more important than high refresh, but maybe not anymore?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have a 165mhz G-Sync paired with a regular 60mhz, you'll notice the mouse cursor movement will update slower on the slower monitor. That's about it I guess.

Wait, should I not be gaming on my 1440p GSync monitor with my old 60hz monitor hooked up and turned on?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there any reason for me to upgrade by BenQ v2400w from 2008 to a new bargain bin display? As in, has the technology advanced enough while the price has declined enough? I only use it as my secondary monitor now since I have a Predator.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there a standard recommendation for a gaming monitor connected to a 1060 that's under $250? Thanks.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What's a good, fairly cheap second monitor as a companion to my XB271HU? My current is an older BenQ 24" IPS 60hz. I just leave random windows open on it so maybe nothing else is needed but I've heard matching refresh rates could be a reason to upgrade.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

TheFluff posted:

In the nvidia control panel, global 3D settings: set Vsync to on, check that max prerendered frames is set to 1. In the in-game graphics settings in each game you play, turn vsync off, and if it has a frame rate limiter, set it to 3-4 FPS below the monitor's max refresh rate (so 140fps for a 144Hz monitor).

This ensures the game doesn't use any wacky homegrown vsync implementation and that you get as little buffering as possible.

Are you supposed to do this for GSync monitors too?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What's RTSS? All I've done with my GSync is to turn it on in the control panel and then turn vsync off in games.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Oh I already use RTSS so I can see an FPS counter in games. I think for awhile it was breaking Origin but only in Apex, not BFV. I followed this to clear my cache and it started working again even while using RTSS. https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games/

For GSync settings I followed the advice above and looked at https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/ Only thing new I had to do was turning VSync on in the Control Panel. Someone above mentioned to set Max pre-rendered frames to 1, but this didn't say to so maybe that's just for the FreeSync post he was responding to?

My FPS never exceeds my monitors 165hz refresh rate, so I don't think I need to deal with any caps.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What is prison island?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What's the best deal on a gaming monitor for $300 or less right now? I've been seeing them fly by on reddit, but was only casually browsing. My friend is now asking.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Given that pricing, I'd probably buy that over the Nixeus, so yeah. Gonna make that my recommendation for anyone looking to buy right now who doesn't want to drive to a microcenter. The panel, stand, and overall premium-but-not-quite-Dell LG experience make it worth the $15 IMO.

If you have a local Microcenter that has the XF270HU (IPS version) in stock, that. If not, either wait for more deals to pop up, spring for the LG 27GL83A linked in the post I quoted, or drop to 1080p with the Acer VG240Y pbiip

You should buy the same 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors almost everyone else is looking at. They are by far the price/performance sweet spot right now.

Is there a link to that XF270HU on MC? I get an error results page when I search for it.

Edit: found it on Google. Sold out locally. I assume this is just a today deal and is dead now.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 3, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
How does the https://www.microcenter.com/product/615481/acer-nitro-xv272u-pbmiiprzx-27-wqhd-144hz-hdmi-dp-freesync-hdr-led-gaming-monitor compare to the https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Nitro-VG270U-Pbmiipx-27-QHD-2560-x-1440-2K-144Hz-Refresh-Rate-1ms-VRB-Res/383269762155

The VG270U is cheaper and both are IPS, 144hz, 1440p, freesync, etc.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Acer hired a disciple of chaos to do their display naming. The VG270U (bunch of lowercase letters) is NOT the same display as the VG270U P(bunch of lowercase letters). They pull that bullshit with almost every single display they make, and half the time it's TN vs IPS. I think there's even one where a capital vs lowercase A is the difference between TN and IPS.

Thank gently caress for displayspecifications. Apparently the XV272UP has a height and vertical/horizontal tilt adjustable stand, the VG270U P only has vertical tilt adjustment. The XV272UP has HDR400 (lol gently caress HDR) and the VG270U P doesn't. The VG270U P I have no idea how good the Freesync implementation is, and displayspecifications claims there are versions with the AUO and Innolux panels, but since Acer has made decent displays with both, I would assume it's probably fine. At that price it'd have to be pretty bad to not be worthwhile.

Didn't know this site, thanks a bunch.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Need a monitor purely for basic work from home. I can get this for $133 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6362423.p?skuId=6362423 Does anything beat it? It's IPS, 75hz, and has VESA if needed.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Yesterday my second monitor (from ~2008) seems to have stopped working. Windows detects there's a monitor connected in that it shows it in the settings, but it says "Didn't detect another display" when I hit Detect. There's also nothing displayed. I plugged it directly into a laptop too with the same results. Is this a common way to die? Also tried VGA instead of HDMI.

Assuming I need another, I'd really not like to spend much since a second monitor is just a luxury. I saw above that productivity monitors have increased in price more than gaming, but $350-400 for a gaming monitor is too much. This one is just $110 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6362423.p?skuId=6362423 for 24" IPS 75hz.

I setup alerts for the AOC 24G2 and ASUS VP249QGR as well since those are 144hz for $50-70 more and I'm not in a huge rush I guess.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

What do you do with your system and what GPU do you have?

My main monitor is an XB271HU. I game and have a 1070.

Got an alert that the AOC 24G2 is back in stock at $179 ($193 after tax). If I hesitate at all it's probably gone. Just don't know if 144hz on a second monitor is worth the extra ~70.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I ended up getting that cheap LG but got the open box excellent one for $100 before tax. The new one sold out.

edit: order was canceled, open box item was gone. New version showed as in stock so bought that now. We'll see.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2020

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I bought a different Huano dual monitor arm (this one) for my similar setup of dual 1440p 27" and it works great - once I dialed the gas piston to the right tension my monitors move super freely.

One caveat though, coming from a monitor arm like your pictured one but for a single 27", is I did need to move my desk back from the wall more than I wanted in order to make space for the lower parts of the arms to be bent back towards the wall, allowing the top parts of the arm to come be close together on a vertical plane, but still my preferred distance away from the edge of the desk I sit on. I also has to offset the mount point to the left of my desk so that I could have one monitor front and center and the second one at more of an angle. (I can try to draft up a terrible image for more clarity)

My desk is comparatively tiny to the total width of the monitors though - only 48" wide by 24" deep - so depending on your own dimensions and preferred monitor set up, this might not be an issue, but just a heads up for something I didn't consider fully before buying a stand.

EDIT: terrible mspaint images, proportions are way off but idea is there I think

This is also the angle I like to use and I want to get a monitor arm/s. My desk is only about a half inch thick. Is that going to hold up the clamp? Are there specific things to know about arms or just find well reviewed ones on Amazon? I have a corporate Best Buy discount so I should probably check what we have too.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Half an inch is really thin IMO. My own desktop is from Ikea and made from particle board and I wouldn't dream of getting a dual monitor mount if it weren't the thickness that it is (~1 inch). If yours is solid wood or metal, and you got a mount with a big base, maybe? I'm no expert and have no experience with desks beyond my own though.

It's an Ikea desk like this one. I've had it for 12 years or so. Wasn't this expensive so maybe mine is cheaper materials? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/bekant-desk-black-stained-ash-veneer-black-s69282592/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I got an LG 24ML44B-B https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6362423.p?skuId=6362423 for a secondary when it was on sale, but can't find any calibration settings online. Anyone else have any luck or maybe know how to find out what panel it is so I can steal them from another monitor using it? This actually doesn't even show up on displayspecfications.com and I thought they had every monitor ever.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
When I type on my keyboard sometimes I notice my monitors are kind of jiggling. This happened when they were on their stands and now when they're on this dual arm gas mount I have. Might this be because my desk is just wobbly? If I grab the side my desk and wiggle, I can really get them shaking.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My friends and I are all pitching in to get a friend a gaming PC since he's had a real poo poo year. Turns out everyone was really excited about donating since we ended up with $950 plus an RTX 2080. I guess we should try and fit a 1440p high refresh monitor into the budget. What's the cheapest one I should look at?

Someone in the build thread linked this: https://www.newegg.com/viewsonic-vx...Wd0dXuD.QbKlcMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Hi me again, here's a review of that monitor where rtings straight up calls it the best budget option with those specs.

Alternatively, the thread 'standard' monitor rec is the LG 27GL83A-B, which lots of people have had success finding on amazon warehouse for ~$300, for a basically new product with a damaged box or something equally minor.

Hey you're the guy! Too bad it like everything else is sold out at Best Buy since I have access to the employee discount.