Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stonewallpatton
Jan 24, 2006

by angerbot
Maybe someone can help me out. I recently got an ASUS VK278Q 27-Inch LED Monitor

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0043T7FKC/ref=oss_product

I have it hooked up to a 27inch iMAC i5 with an ATI Radeon HD 4850 video card.

The monitor is connected through dvi -> minidisplay port. However, the Asus monitor appears to have a yellow tint and I can't figure out how to correct the issue. I tried changing the "skintone" setting but nothing seems to help.

Could this be a connection issue? I recently ordered a mdp to mdp cord but it will not arrive until next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stonewallpatton
Jan 24, 2006

by angerbot

Imipolex G posted:

Did you fool around with the settings under System Preferences -> Displays -> Color? Might solve your problem.

The connection shouldn't cause this sort of issue, being digital and all.

Yes. I went through Mac OSX guide to setting up a dual monitor. Adjusted all the necessary preferences (brightness, contrast, gamma, etc.).

Maybe I am expecting too much out of a cheaper monitor in comparison to the iMAC display.

stonewallpatton fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 27, 2010

stonewallpatton
Jan 24, 2006

by angerbot

Zhentar posted:

1. Your DVI cable is sending a digital stream, which means barring extreme conditions the data the monitor receives is identical to what the video card sent (and in those extreme conditions it's not just a little fuzzy, something's obviously hosed up). The quality of your video transmission is already perfect, so it cannot possibly get any better.

2. When the OP says DVI is "electrically compatible" with HDMI, what that means is that a DVI signal is also a valid HDMI signal. When you get an DVI->HDMI cable or converter, it will still be sending exactly the same signal over exactly the same wires, the only difference is the shape of the connector at the end.

You might get it closer in color with the "sRGB" video mode, or whatever color temperature settings are available. You probably won't be able to get them very close without the aid of a colorimeter, though. It's not just a matter of the price of the display; two different models of panels aren't likely to show the same colors without a lot of calibration (although the fact that you're pairing a TN panel with a high-end IPS panel certainly isn't helping matters).

Colorimeter?

Is that a program?

stonewallpatton
Jan 24, 2006

by angerbot

Ah I see....

Edit: Nevermind.

stonewallpatton fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 27, 2010

stonewallpatton
Jan 24, 2006

by angerbot

movax posted:

That and you've got two different backlights with vastly different emissions; ideally if sRGB mode was supported on the other panel, you'd have a shot at getting 'em to match up, but I doubt the Asus exposes the large number of settings you'd have to tweak. The graphics card might though.

Keep the second monitor doing video/not displaying white Finder windows, you'll notice the difference less ;)

My Asus does have an sRGB mode but it (IMO) appears worse. How could I use my video card to edit the settings for the second monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stonewallpatton
Jan 24, 2006

by angerbot

ToastyX posted:

Input

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, but I am going to return the monitor and look into getting another IPS (probably apple cinema display). I had no idea there was this big of a difference in monitors....should have probably read this thread before purchasing the secondary display.