Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Varg posted:

Hey help me pick a monitor to go with a new build.. I want one that's going to be good for graphic & web design, but can also handle gaming pretty well. I'm going to be buying a GTX 970 so I started looking at 1440p screens but have no idea where to start. I originally was going to get this NEC 24" IPS - 1920 x 1200 screen, but want to see if there are better options out there in 1440p for what I want it to be able to do. What are my best options under $1000? (preferably much less)

I just got this for $309 when it was in stock on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JB6HCIC/

I haven't tried out Lightroom on it yet, but the comments seem to indicate that it's fine for color accuracy and whatnot, plus I have a good IPS monitor that I already use for photos. I played lots of Shadow of Mordor on it this weekend and didn't notice any lag, but I'm already used to an IPS monitor, so who knows.

Generally seems to be a good deal from a recognizable brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Anyone have opinions on a 4k monitor vs an ultrawide for software development? Currently I use a 27" 2560x1440 and a 24" 1080p hooked up to a macbook pro, but the smaller one is giving up the ghost, so I'll either get a 4k or an ultrawide for the main display and slide the 2560x1440 one over. My last job was a quant shop where I had 4x 1080p monitors, so I'm addicted to screen real estate. I also play games using the same monitors if that makes a difference.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Software development is embarassingly parallel (or at least scales very nicely). The ability to have multiple screens open at the same time scales well at least to 3 regular monitors, and it's handled natively by Windows. Dr Paul prescribes triple 27" 2560x1440p GSync monitors on an Ergotech stand, or at least the knockoff 27" 1440p 60 Hz generic and some doritos.
I actually do have a triple monitor setup right now. The 27" in the middle, the failing 24" to the right, and a stalwart HP L2335 on the left that I bought for a ton of money in 2006. It's chugging along wonderfully and I just can't bring myself to replace the poor little fella. While working I have a macbook pro connected to only the 27" and the right 24" since the L2335 doesn't have more than one digital connection. When not working my Windows machine is connected to all three.

Maybe I'll find another use for the antique and upgrade to 3x 27". What's the impact if I get two 27" gsync monitors and use them with my current 27" that doesn't have gsync? I assume I can play games on one of the gsync monitors?

Edit: or one g sync and two non g sync? G sync seems like a waste on two of three.

Erwin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 15, 2017

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

What's your GPU?
GTX 970.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

DrDork posted:

The pros and cons are pretty simple, really:

Dell S2716DG:
-Made by Dell, so good QC and the best warranty service you can get.
-TN panel, so colors aren't as nice and you'll get some color shift. That said, it's one of the nicer TN panels out there, so it's not nearly as much of an issue as it is for most TN panels.
-Looks pretty business-classy like.
-144Hz
-$500(ish)

Acer XB271HU
-Made by Acer, so while QC has been better recently, still not as good as Dell, and the warranty service is adequate, but not excellent.
-IPS panel, so excellent colors and no color shift.
-Has 2 more USB3 ports.
-More of a gaming motif, particularly the stand.
-144Hz native, vast majority can overclock to 165Hz
-$700(ish)

Of the above, the only part that really matters is IPS vs TN and $500 vs $700. The Acer has a nicer panel at the end of the day. But a reasonable amount of people don't believe it's $200 better. Take a look at the reviews on TFTCentral and it should help you figure out if it's something you care about (I don't remember if they did a review for the XB271HU or just the XB270HU, but most things should apply between both, except that the QC, panel uniformity, and Hz are a little better on the 1 than the 0).

Piggybacking on this, if I do photo editing (hobby, not professional) how much should I care about IPS vs TN?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What in the gently caress? I have an Acer K272HUL, so I ordered a K272HUL to go with it, and it's an entirely different loving monitor. The bezel is different, and the panel seems different because the picture is washed out and fuzzy, whereas the original is crisp. I've tried it on both Windows and a Macbook Pro, and it looks like poo poo on both.

If the panels were the same I'd say gently caress it because I don't feel like dealing with sending it back, but what the poo poo? They both say K272HUL on them - why is Acer selling multiple monitors under one name? gently caress.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Acer's model numbers are stupid, they frequently use the same model number for multiple different actual models. For example there is both an IPS and a TN version both sold as "XB270HU".

There are a string of letters that come after the model number that specify what exactly it is. For example on the XB270HU the TN panel is "abprz" and the IPS is "bprz".

Another way is to look at the part number, f.ex with the XB270HU the IPS version is UM.HB0AA.001 and the TN version is UM.HB0AA.A01.

I'm guessing this is what happened, there are two different K272HULs and one has a different alphabet-soup suffix and part number. Super loving annoying, you're right.

Ah yup that was it. What I ordered is listed as Cbmidp, what I got was an Ebmidpx, and what I actually wanted was Bmiidp. Christ.

The good news is that I thought my existing monitor was just a really nice TN panel, but it turns out it's an IPS panel, which explains the vast difference in picture quality. I've set up a return and ordered the right model, but it's Fulfilled by Amazon so it's basically Russian Roulette at this point.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The Dreamer posted:

I just got my XB271HU in yesterday and this thing is amazing. I had a Dell U2415M before and was seriously considering upgrading my PC as a whole because its still a few generations back in hardware and even with my GTX 970 I was getting some serious tearing in games but this monitor got rid of all the perceived problems I was having. I also managed to get one that doesn't appear to have any of the QA issues they seem to get a lot. Was leery of spending $700 on a monitor but holy crap it was worth it.

Almost all of this post also applies to me, including the video card model and computer age. G-Sync is way better than I imagined - it's one of those things where there's no easy way to demo it but it makes a huge difference. Everything is like butter now.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

Looks like they do have a clamp variety but now I'm not sure if I want it, since it means the monitors have to be positioned all the way back at the edge of the desk. Maybe stand is better for a corner desk...

I can tell you not to get this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006JG7G2E/

I don't hate it, but I'm bummed that I can't move the monitors at all. The Ergotech version looks like you can at least swing the outsides around a little. Both the one I linked and the Ergotech one bring the side monitors farther forward than the middle if that's what you're saying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I have a $1,750 tech budget to spend and am looking to add more monitors to my desk. I currently have 2x 27" 1440p monitors plus my macbook pro (so three screens). I used to work for a trading firm as a developer/sysadmin and I miss the 4x 1920x1200 life.

I'm trying to decide between an obnoxiously large ultrawide or 2x 4x displays. Either way I plan to move my 2x 27" monitors above for 2x2 or 2 over 1 ultrawide. I'm a developer and still on the infrastructure side so the more real-estate and window-arranging options the better. However in my personal life I am also into photography (Lightroom), video editing (4k, Premiere Pro), and audio stuff (Ableton Live). Lastly, also gaming on a Windows machine. Total computers that will use the monitors at different times: work macbook pro m2 max, personal macbook pro m1 max, windows with (for now) a 2070 super.

I'm thinking the 4ks would allow me to edit and view 4k content at actual 4k resolution (though I guess my macbook pro display lets me do this) but I've never had an ultrawide and it seems like it would be great. Any advice? I do love the colors on the macbook pro displays if that helps - but as far as I am aware I'd get that with any HDR display?