Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How is the Dell 2412M? I'm looking at work monitors but have to order from CDW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any decent small hidpi displays out? I'm looking for something 4K in the 22-24" range, since I've got a retina Mac and I'm trying to get the same level of pixel density (330?) in an external monitor.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is here a site like pcpartpicker but that lets you specify a PPI range for monitors?

I've been searching for months for a small, ~200 PPI monitor and haven't found anything outside of the LG Ultrafine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Wasabi the J posted:

You could go all Matrix and make your own out of replacement retina iPad displays

Otherwise how small are we talking? Even at 23.4 inches 4k only comes out to like 185 ppi.

Dell P2415Q
Philips Brilliance 241P6VPJKEB
ViewSonic VX2475SMHL-4K
Samsung UE590

I've been using a 220PPI 15" as my main for years, so size doesn't matter so much as PPI. I'm okay with a ~21 inch monitor.

I saw Apple had a 4K 21.5" but it seems to have compatibility issues with Windows.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I think there's a misunderstanding.

My main is a 15" MBP (220 PPI).

I'm building a new computer and need a monitor for it. This monitor will be attached exclusively to that computer. This computer will be a gaming computer exclusively--my MBP will still be used for all other computing, and its native display used.

However, as I'm so used to looking at my MBP, I want a high PPI screen for my new computer. I also want it to be a smaller size so that it fits comfortably on my (small footprint)desk and doesn't look completely out of balance when I use my MBP next to it. So, large displays are out, regardless of their other assets.

And while yes, I can move the screen farther away for an effective PPI similarity, I still notice things like the granularity of the backlight on a white screen (I know backlights granularity isn't "a thing" but it's the best descriptor I can think of, and it's very noticeable if you compare lowdpi/highdpi displays). Thus, the higher PPI is valuable to me, even at distance.

Something like the LG Ultrafine 4K would be optimal, but I understand there may be compatibility issues with Windows: http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKMY2LL/A/lg-ultrafine-4k-display

I may end up having to concede something and get a display like the Dell 4K, but I want to make sure what I'm looking for isn't available first. The 5k would be ideal if it were just a bit smaller.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 9, 2016

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Col.Kiwi posted:

This might sound condescending but have you actually tried sitting down at a normal good quality desktop monitor and using some of the programs you're used to using? I feel like you're imagining the PPI change to be a bigger deal than it is. Even really lovely laptops tend to have higher PPI than nice desktop monitors simply because laptop screens are tiny. But there's a lot more to image quality than PPI. I think you may be psyching yourself out about this being more of an issue than it would really be for you in reality

Yes, and it's striking. I have a MBP at home and a pair of 24" ultrasharps at work, and it's a huge difference. Even looking at the 1080p vs 4k iMacs in the Apple Store is a significant difference.

I suppose I'm biased because I've had nothing but a high DPI display for years, so I notice the difference when moving down to a normal PPI.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Grog posted:

Does anybody know how to ensure that your display's physical screen is flat/even? I don't know what happened when we were moving things around here, but now when I'm sitting in front of my screen, it looks either like parts of it are bowing in slightly or other parts are bowing out slightly compared to the rest. I can't swivel or adjust it to make it look right and now I can't really ignore it, so I can't seem to get comfortable sitting in front of it anymore. Nothing looks damaged, but I don't really know how to check for an uneven screen surface, what to do to fix it if that's what's going on, or if something like that can actually be fixed.

My vision may also be messed up right now, for all I know, which could be contributing to things. Checking with one eye or the other still has things looking wrong, though.

Put a flat edge over the bezel and check the spacing as you run it down

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How is the Dell Ultrasharp U2417H compared to the 2515? I like the 1080p over the x1200, but have heard the picture isn't as nice.

Alternately, is there a decent gaming monitor thats an IPS panel and has strong color reproduction and black levels and other picture features, similar to the Ultrasharp series? I don't like the thickness / angles / screen quality on TN.

Also, is there any real advantage to having a high-refresh screen if you're gaming at a consistent 60fps? I understand it prevents judder if you don't have the hardware to stay above 60, but it seems unnecessary if you can.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 23, 2017

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So what would a good 1080p high-refresh monitor be? Looking for $300 or less.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there any real danger to overclocking a monitor, or will it just fail to display correctly and frame skip if you push it too much?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have an LG Ultrafine 4k (the "Apple" display).

Using the included cable, I can hook it up via USB C to my Mac, or to some Dell workstation laptop with no issue.

However, when I hook it up to my desktop (AMD Radeon 6800xt, has USB-C output on the card), it doesn't display video.

However again, when I use the USB-C cable that came with my old Dell U2720Q, the Radeon outputs to the display. This cable is really short though, and I need something in the ~5 foot range.

What cable should I get to interface between my Radeon and my Ultrafine? Am I looking for DP Alt mode, or some form of thunderbolt, or something else altogether?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Oxxidation posted:

does anyone have experience with monitors suddenly having a more limited range of height adjustment? i've used an Acer XB270HU for the last six years and always treated it gently, but over the last year its stand adjustment suddenly lost about an inch or so - it used to be almost flush with the stand at its lowest setting, now it's a fair bit over

it's not really an inconvenience, it's just driving me nuts because i have no idea what could have set it off

VESA mounts

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I just wish screens would have decent PPIs. I’m tired of 120hz displays that are grainy as poo poo. 4k is too little for a 27” screen, it needs 5K.

The only displays I’ve seen with really good clarity are the Apple and LG Ultrafines.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How good must your eyes be for 4K to be grainy at 27" :psyduck:

It’s really visible when you’re used to looking at the Apple displays. I use a Mac for my day to day and had a Dell Ultrasharp on my desktop and the difference was striking.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

repiv posted:

Apple stopped using subpixel font rendering like 5 years ago on the basis of "just buy a retina display lol stop being poor" so the difference between PPIs is more pronounced than it is on Windows

It’s still the screen. I have a 23.7” 4K LG Ultrafine hooked up to a windows machine and it’s still a big difference between it and a 4K 27” Dell Ultrasharp or HP workstation screen.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has anyone used an Apple Studio Display as a primary for Windows? I need a new monitor and the existing offerings I can find are either ugly as poo poo or don't have a solid pixel resolution. My backup option was a smallish Dell Ultrasharp 4k/5k. Looking in the like 24-27" range, either 4k or 5k. 5k sounds attractive because I can get an exact pixel halving to 1440p for game things. I'm not specifically looking for an Apple display, just something functionally and aesthetically equivalent.

I have a Mac as well, so I can access execute anything Mac-specific such as firmware updates.

e: Powering this off an AMD RX 6800 XT if it matters. Has USB-C output and works with the old LG Display for Mac but doesn't have any of the controls.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I’ve been using the Whoosh cleaner and cloth on every screen I own for years without issue. Also sunglasses.