Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Quick question about repairing a small monitor scratch :smith:

I accidentally put a tiny scratch into an NEC MultiSync EA231WMi (an IPS LCD monitor). It doesn't seem to be more than 10 pixels across, but darned if I can't help but obsess over it.

Is there a safe, convenient way for me to repair it? I did some quick searches on google, but nothing really came up that was relevant for this specific panel type.

edit: I'd call it a "gash," but I don't want to over-dramatize the damage. I was moving a desk lamp, and the pointy-end of the metal shade "cut" into it slightly. The pixels seem undamaged.

I scratched my 2407WFP this week while upgrading the RAM on my laptop (pulled up on the bottom panel too hard and yanked it right into the screen :()

Rubbing a tiny bit of vaseline into the scratch and then cleaning off the area was the only thing that had any (positive) effect; the scratch is only really noticeable because it causes light to diffract, and vaseline is pretty opaque so it diffracts less at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Mitsune posted:

This is the cheapest I've ever seen the U2410 on Dell's website. You've all been warned! :aaa:

I'm really tempted. I scratched my 2407WFP the other day but I don't think I can justify buying a new monitor on that basis alone.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Vehementi posted:

Dell's 27" is on sale today in Canada for $370 off (now: $730)

edit: nnnggggggggggggggg need reasons not to buy this, hurry!

edit: bought

I came pretty close to buying this today, didn't quite feel like pulling the trigger on a $850+ purchase after environmental fees and taxes, especially when I'm skeptical about the ability of my computer to play games in decent quality at 2560x1440. If it drops below, say, $650 in the future, I don't know if I'll be able to resist.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

DrDork posted:

Speaking of which: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423465 Goon has a U2711 for $700. Sounds like a match made in techno-heaven.

Dell was selling them new for $730 during their Days of Deals the other week.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Argas posted:

That looks good, though it's not coming down in price any time soon. May opt for U2717D instead, direct from Dell it's cheaper than third-party U2715H and Dell doesn't sell those anymore, at least not in Canada.

I got my U2715H from Amazon for $450 last week, which isn't considerably different than what the U2717D is currently going for.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

Interested in an answer to this. I'm basically in the same spot.

I was in the same boat and after doing some research I bought a Dell U2715h for $450 from Amazon, and am extremely happy with it. It's a significant upgrade from the U2412h it replaced for me at home, and also noticeably better than the U2712h and (2x) 27" Apple Thunderbolt Displays that I've used at work over the last couple of years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Green Gloves posted:

Wasnt there refurbs of the Dell U2715H that were like $280? The pb278q can be pretty cheap used as well.

Apparently everyone who ordered a refurb U2715h ended up with a U2717D instead, plus no real warranty and a decent chance of getting a monitor that someone had sent back for dead pixels made me pretty leery. I got no dead pixels and am pretty happy with my purchase both quality/value-wise.