Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Wrr posted:

I think I'm in the middle of an exceptional story? I guess I'm working with a spiritfarer and some devil to do something in hell now? To eavesdrop on hell? No clue where to go to keep advancing that.

Also, I am a fool and am Seeking the Name. I blackened my mind years ago and went from 200 watchful to 100, and need to build that back up (that HURT).

Figure I'll start making my way through all the exceptional storylines too

so that story is apparently a continuation of one of the really early storylets that I had completely forgotten about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009

Wrr posted:

I think I'm in the middle of an exceptional story? I guess I'm working with a spiritfarer and some devil to do something in hell now? To eavesdrop on hell? No clue where to go to keep advancing that.

Also, I am a fool and am Seeking the Name. I blackened my mind years ago and went from 200 watchful to 100, and need to build that back up (that HURT).

Figure I'll start making my way through all the exceptional storylines too

Did you by chance mean you're working with a spiritifer? If so, you're in the continuation of Playing with Soul that was just released after more than a decade of the storyline hanging. If you check the "Myself" tab and search for the name of the story, the instructions for the next step are generally included in the tracker quality these days. It's also good practice to echo literally everything important, so you can go back on your profile and read any instructions or details you missed.

As for Seeking, Blacken Your Mind is a bit of a newbie trap. For early levels of seeking, your best option is twofold:

1. Slowly Escalating Mr. Eaten's Name (The SEMEN method)
    • Get a starveling cat and use the Cats and Bats storylet in the Flit to See what your Starveling Cat knows until your Unaccountably Peckish is at least 1/3rd your Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name quality.
    • Start drawing cards until you draw a SMEN card (they're black bordered, undiscardable, and named like playing cards) until you find one that's, again, at least 1/3rd your SMEN quality. So, for example, if you're at SMEN 15, the lowest card that you need is FIVE OF LIGHTS, though all cards higher than that will work just as well. Once you're at SMEN 18, the lowest card which works is SIX OF PEARLS. At 21 you need SEVEN OF WORDS or higher, and so on.
    • Each card has several options. One will always require that you do not have the quality Marsh Mired in Dreams of Sustenance. Picking this option has some nasty consequences, some worse than others, and will increase SMEN by 1 point, as well as giving you MMiDoS. This locks you out of increasing SMEN with a card until Time the Healer clears it.
    • Some cards have much harsher penalties than others, and it doesn't actually track with their level like you might expect. For example, TWO OF BATS eats 60cp of stats, gives 9cp menaces, and clears a whopping 12cp Connected: The Masters. Meanwhile, the most advanced card, KNIGHT OF FEASTS doesn't have any penalty to increasing SMEN at all.
    • Because they're undiscardable, it's fairly easy to end up with a full hand of useless cards. In this case it's actually never a good idea to play an option, as your only choices are "pay a huge penalty to no benefit" and "lock yourself out of an opportunity to SEMEN until the next Time the Healer"
    • Instead, if you need a better card, head over to The Labyrinth of Tigers and Take some refreshment in the first coil until your Unaccountably Peckish is lower than at least one (preferably all) of the useless cards in your hand. This will auto-discard them without hurting you. Then just go back to your cat and restore UP to the level you need it to be.
    • For this reason, at higher levels it can be better to just increase your Unaccountably Peckish to 10 right away, to max out the number of cards that are actually useful.
    • Once SMEN is increased for the week, use the Labyrinth to reset Unaccountably Peckish to 0 to stop the cards from drawing any further.
    • Wait for Time the Healer to come and remove Marsh Mired in Dreams of Sustenance, then repeat the process. You can use this method as your only route to increase SMEN until it reaches 36. It's recommended that you hold off on the candles until then, since each candle increases SMEN by 1, which will be a lot more valuable after you're locked out of the easiest gains.
  2. Drowning Your Secrets:
    • Starting from SMEN 4, you can increase your seeking quality in exchange for 77 x (Current SMEN) Appalling Secrets and (Current SMEN + 1) bottles of Greyfields 1879. This requires a watchful check of 20x (Current SMEN), so expect a lot of failure. Even with the failures, you'll still progress a lot faster than you would constantly needing to grind your stats back up, and much more cheaply than the other versions
    • The best route to getting Appalling Secrets is to follow the University plot line loop as described in the wiki and upconvert, since there's effectively no straight Appalling Secrets grinds
    • If you've advanced the Wars of Illusion story line too far, your best option is a truncated version of the above, where you use Try to find out about their allegiances to raise Making Use of Cats all the way to 5 before cashing in with Follow up a tip-off.
    • If you've advanced the University story line to completion, your best method of increasing Investigating is Spy on the Topsy King's Court, found either by picking the Investigating... option from Bats and Cats, or the Tricks of the Courier's Trade option under Heights of Chicanery in the Flit
    • There's a truly exceptional spreadsheet you can use to help figure out how many Appalling Secrets you need, including a page to tally up all the items you'll be forced to sell before leaving for Winking Isle anyway, so you can use them to buy Cryptic Clues to upconvert.
    • This is best left until you've worked out all the requirements for all the candles you'll need - it won't do you any good powering through and rushing SMEN past 36 a few weeks early and locking yourself out the cards, then needing to spend a week grinding up requirements for your candles and losing whatever head-start you bought yourself.

It sounds like you're trying to do a few things at once with your character, so honestly, I'd disregard actively increasing SMEN at all and just go to the SEMEN method until you hit 36. This really doesn't cause any noticeable damage to your character at all (the really nasty stuff are the candles) and can conceivably take fewer than 10 turns a week to get through the most capricious portion of the plot arc. Seeker Burnout from being stuck on this endless treadmill of farming items to throw away on 90% chance to fail checks, or endlessly tanking your stats and needing to rebuild them is what ends most Seeking attempts. The candles and Winking Isle are painful, but in a very different way, and with NORTH on a very near horizon compared to the first phase.

Edit: Fixed broken link

ilurker fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 18, 2021

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I restarted a while back after successfully Seeking and god i forgot how miserable stuff was - i suspect I never actually finished all the duelling last time before i moved onto the labryinth of tigers, do I actually need to grind duels forever now to increase my making my name before i get to move on?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So (Watchful Gains spoilers) what did y'all decide to do with Mr. Transport(he might have a different name if you let him be devilish

Dropped it off right at the Bazaar as it'll presumably further destabilize whatever the bat monsters are doing in there and weaken their individual positions. More Masters = more decentralization of power = more vulnerability.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Do you lose your profession if notability drops below the requirements?

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Sekenr posted:

Do you lose your profession if notability drops below the requirements?

No.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

ilurker posted:

Did you by chance mean you're working with a spiritifer? If so, you're in the continuation of Playing with Soul that was just released after more than a decade of the storyline hanging. If you check the "Myself" tab and search for the name of the story, the instructions for the next step are generally included in the tracker quality these days. It's also good practice to echo literally everything important, so you can go back on your profile and read any instructions or details you missed.

As for Seeking, Blacken Your Mind is a bit of a newbie trap. For early levels of seeking, your best option is twofold:

1. Slowly Escalating Mr. Eaten's Name (The SEMEN method)
    • Get a starveling cat and use the Cats and Bats storylet in the Flit to See what your Starveling Cat knows until your Unaccountably Peckish is at least 1/3rd your Seeking Mr. Eaten's Name quality.
    • Start drawing cards until you draw a SMEN card (they're black bordered, undiscardable, and named like playing cards) until you find one that's, again, at least 1/3rd your SMEN quality. So, for example, if you're at SMEN 15, the lowest card that you need is FIVE OF LIGHTS, though all cards higher than that will work just as well. Once you're at SMEN 18, the lowest card which works is SIX OF PEARLS. At 21 you need SEVEN OF WORDS or higher, and so on.
    • Each card has several options. One will always require that you do not have the quality Marsh Mired in Dreams of Sustenance. Picking this option has some nasty consequences, some worse than others, and will increase SMEN by 1 point, as well as giving you MMiDoS. This locks you out of increasing SMEN with a card until Time the Healer clears it.
    • Some cards have much harsher penalties than others, and it doesn't actually track with their level like you might expect. For example, TWO OF BATS eats 60cp of stats, gives 9cp menaces, and clears a whopping 12cp Connected: The Masters. Meanwhile, the most advanced card, KNIGHT OF FEASTS doesn't have any penalty to increasing SMEN at all.
    • Because they're undiscardable, it's fairly easy to end up with a full hand of useless cards. In this case it's actually never a good idea to play an option, as your only choices are "pay a huge penalty to no benefit" and "lock yourself out of an opportunity to SEMEN until the next Time the Healer"
    • Instead, if you need a better card, head over to The Labyrinth of Tigers and Take some refreshment in the first coil until your Unaccountably Peckish is lower than at least one (preferably all) of the useless cards in your hand. This will auto-discard them without hurting you. Then just go back to your cat and restore UP to the level you need it to be.
    • For this reason, at higher levels it can be better to just increase your Unaccountably Peckish to 10 right away, to max out the number of cards that are actually useful.
    • Once SMEN is increased for the week, use the Labyrinth to reset Unaccountably Peckish to 0 to stop the cards from drawing any further.
    • Wait for Time the Healer to come and remove Marsh Mired in Dreams of Sustenance, then repeat the process. You can use this method as your only route to increase SMEN until it reaches 36. It's recommended that you hold off on the candles until then, since each candle increases SMEN by 1, which will be a lot more valuable after you're locked out of the easiest gains.
  2. Drowning Your Secrets:
    • Starting from SMEN 4, you can increase your seeking quality in exchange for 77 x (Current SMEN) Appalling Secrets and (Current SMEN + 1) bottles of Greyfields 1879. This requires a watchful check of 20x (Current SMEN), so expect a lot of failure. Even with the failures, you'll still progress a lot faster than you would constantly needing to grind your stats back up, and much more cheaply than the other versions
    • The best route to getting Appalling Secrets is to follow the University plot line loop as described in the wiki and upconvert, since there's effectively no straight Appalling Secrets grinds
    • If you've advanced the Wars of Illusion story line too far, your best option is a truncated version of the above, where you use Try to find out about their allegiances[/url to raise Making Use of Cats all the way to 5 before cashing in with [url=https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Follow_up_a_tip-off]Follow up a tip-off.
    • If you've advanced the University story line to completion, your best method of increasing Investigating is Spy on the Topsy King's Court, found either by picking the Investigating... option from Bats and Cats, or the Tricks of the Courier's Trade option under Heights of Chicanery in the Flit
    • There's a truly exceptional spreadsheet you can use to help figure out how many Appalling Secrets you need, including a page to tally up all the items you'll be forced to sell before leaving for Winking Isle anyway, so you can use them to buy Cryptic Clues to upconvert.
    • This is best left until you've worked out all the requirements for all the candles you'll need - it won't do you any good powering through and rushing SMEN past 36 a few weeks early and locking yourself out the cards, then needing to spend a week grinding up requirements for your candles and losing whatever head-start you bought yourself.

It sounds like you're trying to do a few things at once with your character, so honestly, I'd disregard actively increasing SMEN at all and just go to the SEMEN method until you hit 36. This really doesn't cause any noticeable damage to your character at all (the really nasty stuff are the candles) and can conceivably take fewer than 10 turns a week to get through the most capricious portion of the plot arc. Seeker Burnout from being stuck on this endless treadmill of farming items to throw away on 90% chance to fail checks, or endlessly tanking your stats and needing to rebuild them is what ends most Seeking attempts. The candles and Winking Isle are painful, but in a very different way, and with NORTH on a very near horizon compared to the first phase.

Okay, thanks for all the tips. Its a lot easier to understand than looking at the guides on the wiki. Currently, my SMEN is 24. I haven't played this game with any real specific meta-goal, or guide in mind, and have always just sorta wandered around and followed storylets that seemed interesting.

Where do I go to get a starveling cat? Or who can curse me with one? Also, what are good ways to get my correspondence plaques? I'm a sucker for that material and want to engage more in that writing.

My watchful is 127 right now, whats a good way to grind that back up?

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Plyem Its my profile! Do with it what you will.

Also, playing Fallen London got me thinking about running a Blades in the Dark hack based on FL; it fits really really well both mechanically and narratively.

Wrr fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 17, 2021

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009
At SMEN 24, you should actually be able to get it via The Seeking Road. Under SEVEN IS THE NUMBER: Gain a Stain on your Soul you'll have the option to trade either 77 Brilliant Souls, a Baptised Rattus Faber Corpse, or a Deep-zee Catch for one. I'd advise heavily against actually getting a stain on our soul until you're at 36 SMEN and ready to start your candles though - just exploit the opportunity to get yourself a cuddly kitty pal. Just take the cat and back out.

Correspondence Plaques (and almost every item in the game at the point you're at currently) are best gained via Doubt Street. Basically, newspapers allow you to get a huge number of Tier 3 items in fairly few actions (make sure you have a slighting partner - again, an alt works wonders for this). Tier 3 items are unique in that they can be cross-converted on a carousel into any other Tier 3 item at a ratio of 50:51. The Wiki has a table that lays out the carousel - it starts collapsed, so you'll need to expand it. For Correspondence Plaques, for instance, you pick a newspaper edition that produces Journal of Infamy. Once that's published, you can use the Journals in your inventory and pick Blackmail a Special Constable to trade 50 Journals for 51 Correspondence Plaques. Each T3 item can be turned into the item to the right of it on the table above, and will eventually wrap all the way around the carousel until you end up back where you started. In this way, using Newspapers, side-converts, and up-converts, you can basically turn the same Newspaper editions into any item in the game.

A note on the Newspaper guide - it doesn't make this clear enough, in my opinion, but the absolute best newspaper edition possible is actually to pick every option which gives salacious copy, to get as close to 140 salacious copy as possible, but when it comes time to publish, you actually want to pick A Gossipy and Tantalising Edition instead of the theoretically-better The tawdry secrets of the famous laid bare!. This is because the "better" edition gives a fixed amount of rewards, while the other one scales with the salacious copy you produce. This is going to be complicated by the fact that you probably can't actually reach maximum salacious copy right now - some of the options require end-game qualities you might not have yet. You're honestly just going to have to take a look through the guide and the tables and work out what options give you the best bang for your buck.

One important newspaper edition is going to be publishing Seditious Editions. This one is somewhat different than the others because it a) requires a blend of meritorious and salacious copy, which will be a lot easier to do at first that focusing on one specific type and b) it gives Incendiary Gossip instead of Journals of Infamy. Incendiary Gossip is consumed when slighting players, making it a handy resource to replenish, and it's also several conversions down the carousel from Journal of Infamy, making it the better option when you're trying to get resources like Brilliant Souls or Extraordinary Implications.

The absolute best way to grind Watchful up right now is the "Portergrind", which requires you to have not finished investigating the university (see a theme here? It's a shame they lock you out of so much good content in that area). Basically:
  • Raise Investigations in the University to at least 9, but stop short of progressing it to 24 (ie don't solve the mystery).
  • This lets you spend 25 cryptic clues to Talk to the Porters, which provides 108 whispered hints, 4cp investigating, and 1 Sudden Insight per action
  • You replenish the Cryptic Clues you're spending by cashing your investigating in via the same routes from my last post, making it self-sustaining. While the Whispered Hints can be upgraded to Cryptic Clues, you should only do this as an alternative to buying them - 500 Whispered Hints sell for more echoes than the 200 Cryptic Clues they transform into, making it one of the only EPA negative conversions in the game. Even upconverting them only saves you 3 echoes versus selling them to subsidize purchasing the same number of Clues they'd upconvert to, which means it's a worse idea than just using that action to Grind out Newspapers instead.
  • Every 5 Sudden Insights you go to the social actions page (the calendar icon in the bottom right of your map), go to Attend to Matters of Watchfulness and Nightmares and choose the option Every Stone. This gives an average of 25.5cp watchful, though it's very inconsistent and can award anything between 1cp and 50cp watchful. It also gives 1cp each Persuasive and Dangerous

If you're unlucky enough to have progressed through the University storyline already, unfortunately your best option is going to be the other real gem FB added: Epistolary Matters. This is a social action which allows you to trade letters with other players to quickly boost stats. Your best bet is to jump on the FB official and community discords and find a partner to exchange letters with. Each of you can read a maximum of 7 letters a week, giving a full level of Watchful per level each, before diminishing returns kick in. This is a lot slower than Portergrind, but only because you're limited to 7 levels a week before Mired in Mail creates sharply diminishing returns for attribute-raising letters. That's still nothing to sneeze at - 490cp cashed in over 7 actions means you should be doing this simultaneously with Portergrind regardless - and honestly, for every stat you have under cap. Most players don't because the letters are relatively expensive, but it's worth noting that even with high mired in mail, reading a letter gives 14cp each at a minimum, which beats any other source. You might find it worthwhile to trade, say, Notes on the Correspondence to wealthier players for continuing attribute-raising letters even after mired tops out. This will necessitate making extensive use of newspapers to fund, but newspapers are basically indispensable at your point in the game anyway.

Once you're stat capped, letters also make delving into the Nadir for EPA actually viable again - the combined 400cp stat loss hurts a lot less then you can make them back up immediately.

If you are stuck in the post-University state, you might want to look into starting a University Laboratory. Not only is a lot of content locked behind it, but almost all of the checks to progress research are menaceless Watchful checks, making it an excellent place to grind your stat back up while you're waiting for letters to become effective again.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

My word. The new world event finished before I even had a chance to try it.

So how were the crabs anyone who managed to do it?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!

Hypocrisy posted:

My word. The new world event finished before I even had a chance to try it.

So how were the crabs anyone who managed to do it?

you didn't miss much! it used the same mechanics as hunting the plated seal if you've done that, plus a difficulty modifier that made all the checks harder as the crab population dwindled. the rewards were just various common items, mostly zee-related plus some rostygold. definitely more of a proof-of-concept thing than anything else but it was neat, i'm looking forward to them continuing to do these kinds of small world events!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Looks like Hallowmas has started - I might throw some money into buying some of the Fate-locked previous year companions. Not sure if that will happen before or after I agonize about which of this year's companions to go for.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What are the useful companions of the past?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

drat, I didn't realize getting to 2500 Spirit of Hallowmass would be such a slog. I don't think there's any way I can make it at this point - is there any way to cheese it and get more than just doing the carousel of going to the party?

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
When I ran out of resources for the nicer menace gains at my chosen mask's party I just started playing with my starveling cat, which gives both wounds and nightmares 1 point at a time. I doubt if I'm gonna make it all the way to the top either but I got enough for Element of Dawn, at least.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Godfuckingdamnit.

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Wow, todays advent gift is well worth a click... +8 watchful home comfort... https://advent.fallenlondon.com/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I guess there was a limited time new year's card that expired before New Year's Day that had a proclamation from the Empress stopping time or something (since it was bizarrely time limited, I don't have the text), so that answers the question I've had for a while about how they were going to handle entering the 20th Century--they won't.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I journal pretty much everything I come across. Anything marked as "New Century" on my profile should cover the results, starting from around here: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ferel/25289044

Older entries are lower on the page, so you'll have to start at the end and read up.

On the wiki it all falls in this category: https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/The_Dawning_of_a_New_Century

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I dont like it, changes are cool. Also, it kinda sucks about amused lordships megaparty, what was the point of everyone chiming in? Some people probably donated cellars of wine, not just magician.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I haven't seen it pop up yet but there's apparently a new card where you can buy up cheap wine from His Amused Lordship that slowly brings the party prep world quality back down. And if you donated cellars of wine you got back favours in high places (and society favours for turning in other favours) so it's not like people just lost out on resources. Honestly this whole thing is one of the funniest jokes I've seen in a game, the buildup and absolute lack of payoff was inspired.

I'm really curious to see if they're just gonna leave it at this or if there'll be further developments, maybe once all the wine's sold off or whatever. Just going "yeah it's 1899 forever now" seems like it'd run counter to how much they've been using the new world quality stuff to liven up the game and make it feel like things are Happening in the city. The journal UI doesn't seem to have gotten the memo and is marking new entries with 1900, but idk if that's just an issue with how it's set up or an oversight or what.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010
If you have the Revolutionary second tier faction item there's an option on the new world quality card that tells you people around the city are painting the new year places as graffiti and selling black market year 1900 calendars. Plus during the great sink you could get a pocket watch that's stuck at Dec 31st 11:55 PM from them, so my guess is that there'll be more stuff developing relating to the year change rather than it just being a way to get around the century change. Aside from the crab hunts the world quality stuff seems to be developing a connected plot line.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fleve posted:

I journal pretty much everything I come across. Anything marked as "New Century" on my profile should cover the results, starting from around here: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Ferel/25289044

Older entries are lower on the page, so you'll have to start at the end and read up.

On the wiki it all falls in this category: https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/The_Dawning_of_a_New_Century

Thanks!

If this does turn out to be more than a cop out, that'll be cool. I think they do have a legitimate issue with the game starting to feel anachronistic as it enters the 20th century though, so I don't entirely blame them if they do stick with 1899, especially since we know they intended to stop updating the game after the railway before its popularity convinced them to keep going.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 2, 2022

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.

Sinteres posted:

Thanks!
they intended to stop updating the game after the railway before its popularity convinced them to keep going.

i don't think we've ever had an intention to stop updating fallen london! i don't want people to have that impression at all. we love the old beast. railway did really energise us, and the game! (source: i am working on it)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

marwood posted:

i don't think we've ever had an intention to stop updating fallen london! i don't want people to have that impression at all. we love the old beast. railway did really energise us, and the game! (source: i am working on it)

Oh, my apologies. I think I overinterpreted/misremembered what the blog post about Metempsychosis said last year.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

marwood posted:

that's good to hear. game is v. good

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

marwood posted:

got back into this game a couple months and I'm pretty far down the railway now, and it kicks rear end. hope this game keeps trucking for awhile

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I only have one real suggestion: more friends. Hanging out with the Sardonic Music Hall Singer and co. is good but more to do with them and more of them would be ace and cool

marwood
Jan 19, 2004

Risky challenges mean you learn more.
also pls don't think i am watching over this thread like a hawk, i just come by now and then. tbh it's probably time for a new one. oh!! and it's also FL's 12th birthday today. hooray!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The work is accomplished.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
After about 7 years of playing this game semi-regularly, it's finally starting to feel like it's losing the sheen. I'm not *quite* done yet - I still have to finish off the Laureate and PP questlines - but after that it's probably time to finish SMEN the real way. The railway was extremely cool to play through, but with that and ambitions closed off it's starting to feel like the long-term of things is sort of directionless.

I'm not sure if I exactly think this is a criticism of the game itself, given the sheer amount of time it took to get to this point. It's pretty impressive that any form of browser game was able to maintain my interest for close to a decade - but recent content has started to feel less and less impactful. Not sure if anyone else has started to feel this way after they took Metempsychosis off the roadmap.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Tolth posted:

Not sure if anyone else has started to feel this way after they took Metempsychosis off the roadmap.
I was really looking forward to meeting my end.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tolth posted:

After about 7 years of playing this game semi-regularly, it's finally starting to feel like it's losing the sheen. I'm not *quite* done yet - I still have to finish off the Laureate and PP questlines - but after that it's probably time to finish SMEN the real way. The railway was extremely cool to play through, but with that and ambitions closed off it's starting to feel like the long-term of things is sort of directionless.

I'm not sure if I exactly think this is a criticism of the game itself, given the sheer amount of time it took to get to this point. It's pretty impressive that any form of browser game was able to maintain my interest for close to a decade - but recent content has started to feel less and less impactful. Not sure if anyone else has started to feel this way after they took Metempsychosis off the roadmap.

The railroad owned but I think that level of content production and extension of endgame was basically unsustainable, so smaller updates that more players can participate in makes sense to me. I'm not really playing at all at the moment, but I'm basically just enjoying the break (despite still having things I could be working toward) and not planning to Seek or anything. I'll have a decision to make at the end of the month on whether or not I feel like paying for exceptional friendship just to get the new exceptional stories while I'm basically on hiatus, but I'll definitely be sticking around and checking in as new content (particularly new stuff like the amazing summer festival last year) gets rolled out, though I don't think I really plan to spend much money on FATE items this year since I feel like I have about all the advanced stat gear I need at this point.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah, the railway and ending ambitions and everything was just a huge push for their 10th anniversary in 2020. But the little updates here and there have been keeping me interested. Based on what they've said, the direction of upcoming content is going to be more Zee ports. There's been a ton of hints that we're going to get to revisit Irem from Sunless Sea, and that was my favourite place.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I was really looking forward to meeting my end.

Also, same. There were some vocally upset people, though.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

The post explaining why Metempsychosis got axed made sense to me tbqh. Seems like it would've been a nightmare to design around, and I'd rather they work on new stuff like the railway than have FL do the KoL thing where it becomes about speedrunning

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Need advice on hearts desire: do I need Virginia specifically to kill me to get advice from the boatman, or I can speak to him if I died another way? I didnt get the tigress first time around and would rather not grind hell favours again.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

You should be fine just making there however you want.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Sekenr posted:

Need advice on hearts desire: do I need Virginia specifically to kill me to get advice from the boatman, or I can speak to him if I died another way? I didnt get the tigress first time around and would rather not grind hell favours again.

Yeah, there's no tangible benefit to taking that route. You can just go to Mrs. Plenty's Carnival, go to the Hall of Mirrors and use the one that kills you and you'll be able to talk to him all the same.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Man, that OP just never got updated, huh? I've joined the ranks of Fallen Londoners as Benjamin T. Barker (username CaptainWalker). So far it's obtuse and mysterious as all hell and I generally love it, but it's far from obvious (for instance) what all this stuff in my inventory does.

What items can be safely sold for Echoes, what common stuff should I be converting into rare stuff, and what should I hold on to?

More generally, what counts as "progression"? Seems like following my Ambition is the way to start there.

If I'm trying to get rid of Wounds or Nightmares, am I better off waiting out the week for Time, the Healer?

Lastly, is there a way to actually increase the Luck quality?

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Generally avoid selling anything you can't buy at the Bazaar, especially early on.

It's been awhile since I've done low level stuff, but having helped some friends get up to speed, you'll want to be following the four "Making Your Name" plots. There's one for each main stat, and they'll have you progress through their respective zones until you hit the big midgame thing (becoming a Person of Some Importance). Your ambition is also a good way to set goals for stuff, too.

You'll probably build up menaces like Wounds too quickly to wait them out, early on you can buy laudanum/tinctures, but those'll get less effective eventually. Social actions can be a good way to reduce menaces. The wiki is generally a great resource, but even now I still check the menaces guide every now and then.

https://fallenlondon.wiki/wiki/Menaces_(Guide)

Luck is what luck is. Some luck challenges are just easier than others.

also yeah this thread could probably use a reboot, if theres enough interest I wouldnt mind helping getting an OP together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Also a good place for a bunch of free gear is this list of access codes: https://www.reddit.com/r/fallenlondon/comments/jhnmx2/active_access_codes/, which should probably be included in a theoretical new thread OP